Dis

The sprite practice thread.

Hello!

This is my first -real- attempt at spriting, well... it's still practice, but whatever.

Going off of one of Xythus's lovely sketches, I outlined/colored/halfheartedly shaded this:

user posted image

Any crits would be much appreciated ^^

Hehe ^^ Thanks, Koala, although the credit isn't really mine. Xythus's coloring and overall sketch was transcribed almost completely.

Edited a few minor things. The sprite is still pretty much the same, but I thought I would add this anyway.

user posted image

At part of the wing, you have two pixels diagonal to each other, the two pixels together. It's okay if it's only once, but it's a repeated pattern.

Ignoring the fact that you seemed to have had edit button amnesia, there are no 'spriting rules.' It's art on a computer, and that's the beauty of it. The only big no-no in spriting is over-color use, and you normally have to use a special editor to over do it anyways.

EDIT: ohheylook I read that wrong. I thought you were talking to Ayesthine. Derp :I But where is Oasis's post? I don't see them here.

Edited by Psycho Cat

I deleted them because I suck at life. Sorry for making you double-post koala...

No, the oer parts looked pretty nice.

I said that according to one of the guides on DC.

Edited by KoalaNoob

Wait so, on a thread in Dragon requests, I got permission to practice spriting on a sketch, am I allowed to post my progress here? Thanks in advance for answering!

I think you can, if they've given you permission to edit and show what you've done, as long as you don't take it off (Off as in to another forum) the forum or claim full credit, I think you're fine o.o

Edited by Shadowwolf6

Okay, then, here goes: my first somewhat-successful attempt:

user posted image

The wing on our right is bothering me now that I look at it, ugh.

They don't look derpy, in fact, I used one to sprite and now it looks derpy. :c

user posted image

Yeah the dragon's all demented now... Crits besides the demented back?

moonstone, that looks nice! But it might help if you make the tail narrow a little more slowly, especially right when it transitions from the body.

(edited because my wording is backwards D: )

I edited the sprite some more. There's more shading and I also started fixing the mess I made of those feet >.<

user posted image

Crits?

Edited by Ayesthine

That looks very nice, but body definition (those lines in the middle) should be dark green, not black.

Yeah :/ I was planning on changing the outline to a darker green once I had the shading down, just so I didn't get too confused. Thank you for pointing it out, though ^^

Oop- I missed your post, car. I'll try my best to give some crits.

The, er, rump area of your lines should be rounded as opposed to lumpy. Some of your lines jut outwards a pixel when they should go inwards. Other than that, though, I think it looks fine!

moonstone, that looks nice! But it might help if you make the tail narrow a little more slowly, especially right when it transitions from the body.

I edited the sprite some more. There's more shading and I also started fixing the mess I made of those feet >.<

user posted image

Crits?

Thank you <3 Will fix lol

user posted image

Crits?

Ooh, pretty! However, the eye of the dragon looks a bit too big for the head, or is that intentional?

I think it might be like the RSE Weather Trio, where most of the eye is black, if that makes any sense xd.png

Yeah ^^' I noticed that. At the time, I hadn't really changed the eye after i had outlined it.

More changes!

user posted image

The outline is now a dark green. I wanted to lighten the shade further, but Gimp decided to be annoying about palettes so I gave up.

user posted image

I used a sketch above and turned it into a sprite, with color. Feedback is welcomed.

That sprite is pretty dark, Speedicus. It might help make it more clear if you added some brighter shading. Some of the anatomy, like that front leg, should probably be tweaked as well.

Anyway, I've added some darker shading to my sprite after a long hiatus.

user posted image

Thoughts?