Dis

The sprite practice thread.

4 words...

I can't draw wings.

user posted image

Those don't even look like wings. And even on other websites people say I should quit spriting because I can't even sprite simple things...

I wan't to give up, but I also don't...

4 words...

I can't draw wings.

user posted image

Those don't even look like wings. And even on other websites people say I should quit spriting because I can't even sprite simple things...

I wan't to give up, but I also don't...

Don't you listen to them.

You can sprite way better than most people I know. Wings can be hard to get at first, but once you understand how they work, they become so much easier to draw and sprite. The best reference for webbed wings, are bats.

Bats use their wings much like arms, and if you really start thinking about it, you can see how they relate.

Those do look like wings, you just need to study some joints and stuff :3

Keep practicing, your 'random' dragon sprite, is very good for your second try. You should have seen mine.

Don't you listen to them.

You can sprite way better than most people I know. Wings can be hard to get at first, but once you understand how they work, they become so much easier to draw and sprite. The best reference for webbed wings, are bats.

Bats use their wings much like arms, and if you really start thinking about it, you can see how they relate.

Those do look like wings, you just need to study some joints and stuff :3

Keep practicing, your 'random' dragon sprite, is very good for your second try. You should have seen mine.

Thank you a lot for encouraging me, and I have sprited before, but dragons, never, meaning it's a lot harder for me... I've alays admired dragons, although I never sprited them before, since they look so hard to draw...

Lots of people influenced me to make some sprites, and I thught I might give it a go...

I tried drawing another wing, similar to the bat's wing

user posted image

I'm not sure if It right or wrong... I think I did do some parts which are wrong...

and I don't know what to do at the end of the dragons wing..

Anatomy is much better on that one, but you could do with make the forearm a little longer :3

By the end of the dragon's wing, do you mean the wing arm, or the end of the wing fingers?

Anatomy is much better on that one, but you could do with make the forearm a little longer :3

By the end of the dragon's wing, do you mean the wing arm, or the end of the wing fingers?

On the previous post, with the sprite I added, i drew a red circle around the part I meant ^^

And is this a little better?

user posted image

Ooooooooh, I thought that was a test body. No, that part looks good. It's the actually membrane you should be focused on IMO.

On the previous post, with the sprite I added, i drew a red circle around the part I meant ^^

And is this a little better?

user posted image

Here is a reference of the bones in a bat wing, compared to a human arm/hand:

user posted image

Notice the bat arm has an elbow, wrist, and finger bones just like a human. The only difference is the finger bones are elongated and have the membrane between them stretched to encompass the whole hand.

In theory, dragon wings work the same way when it comes to bone structure.

Edited by xeyla

Here is my attempt to create a large image out of a sprite!

user posted image

Sprites are pixelated.

That's a vector you made.

I have no idea what a vector is, but *cough*theleaderofBloodclan*cough* is right, that's not a sprite.

I have no idea what a vector is, but *cough*theleaderofBloodclan*cough* is right, that's not a sprite.

Ohh, a vector is a good quality image with smooth lines/outlines. These images are made mostly digitally on programs like Illustrator, PaintTool.Sai, etc.

And of course theleaderofbloodclan is right. I'm always right :3

Oh and also, a tip for the user who made the image.

I like what you did with the scales, but their all going up, which make my eyes feel wierd. Scales would normally go side ways / different ways.

Here is my attempt to create a large image out of a sprite!

user posted image

Uh, well, nice try ^^'

I would like to you check out how scales are drawn on this picture here

Scales are of different shapes,size and angles, and MOST IMPORTANT, scales are appairing only on some ussual places in some smaller amount. You can see scales:

-a little bit on head

-part of arm

-part of leg

-top of Spitfire back

and

-top of tail

I borrowed a sketch from Kila and used it to make this. I'm brand new to spriting and would love to get better, so any critiques and tips would be awesome.

One thing I noticed was that I felt like it was really small (I mean, I know sprites are small) but like I didn't have tons of pixel space to color in or create details. Is this just..how it is, or is that due to something like the size of the original sketch?

user posted image

(Sorry I just saw that Kila requested to see progress..I didn't really save inbetween steps but next time if I'll make sure to!)

~~

Also I just drew this only using Paint, without tracing any sketches or anything.

user posted image

Edited by Genavelle

I tried to shade a sprite for my project on Dragon Request Board.This time I tried a lot harder, but I didn't finished it.

Lines are done by Shajana:

user posted image

And, how does it looks for now?Head is shaded, but colors aren't so much visible like on body.I need to make them more visible ^^

I honestly feel like there are too many highlights, and the highlights are too bright, to tell truth.

I tried to make a lines of random dragon. And I am not so sure how to describe this:

user posted image

Ohhh! That is very nice! May I use it?