Lythiaren

New action: Search

The thread has just been inactive. I just don't like bumping it up when I don't have anything of import to add. :V

Wow, I thought this thread had died and vanished. But since it hasn't, and there has been more added to it, I am happy.

The searching for things idea is great, but I agree with the people that say no hatchlings or eggs, unless they're very rare. Also I like the idea of the dragon possibly keeping an item for its hoard.

The bringing back of animals is a bit iffy in my view, too many people will get upset at it (though I wouldn't). I think Lythiaren had the best idea about that.

Dragons being generally huge, would it make sense for there to be bones left at all? xd.png.png

"Swift Mirral returns with nothing, but appears rather full."

laugh.gif

Perhaps vine dragons can search underground and find gems, rocks, worms, and stuff like that since they can't fly far away to find things.

Books, toys, mirrors and art would be interesting to see too. But generic like "a piece of art" or "a child's toy" so as to not over complicate things.

I can't wait to see the sprites for the items. smile.gif This, along with the messenger dragons, is one of my favorite things that has been suggested for DC.

I really like this idea smile.gif

Maybe dragons that have been on a lot of searches could have an increased chance of finding something rare? Like they get more experienced?

Awesome idea Lyth!! full support from me <3

(Read up to page 6 then skipped the rest ^^; sorry if this was suggested already)

Since Kuraianubis posted all those lovely pictures, I'd like to suggest a little something to go along with it. ^^

You know how we have incubators? why not a hoard incubator? Like a picture of a generic cave, that you can add your dragon's items to? Then, have it uploaded to imageshack/photobucket like your incubators, that, when clicked on, takes you to the dragon/scroll. (Depending on the separate ideas of individual hoards or one big one)

To place the items on the cave background, it could be a drag and drop thing, or an automated thing like the generic incubators now. tongue.gif

If you had one big hoard, you could have it at the bottom of your scroll.

If they were all separate, each dragon's viewing page could have a hoard at the bottom of that page.

(I personally like the idea of separate ones, so I can work on one dragon ascending at a time ^^; )

If you like this idea, I'd be more than happy to draw up a "generic cave" background ^^ Let me know pretty please biggrin.gif

~Nakase

Just a random idea:

-If you try to force an egg but the hatchling runs away (and you don't catch it), you can send your dragon to search for it.

For that to work though, the hatchlings would have to be suspended from the abandoned page for maybe an hour. (The hatchling runs off in fear to hide in a corner, if not found within an hour by one of your dragons, it wanders to the abandoned page for a new owner)

Just a random idea:

-If you try to force an egg but the hatchling runs away (and you don't catch it), you can send your dragon to search for it.

For that to work though, the hatchlings would have to be suspended from the abandoned page for maybe an hour. (The hatchling runs off in fear to hide in a corner, if not found within an hour by one of your dragons, it wanders to the abandoned page for a new owner)

Ooh, that's not bad! It would be like trying to revive a dragon, but with abandonment, and an egg. Perhaps not with search, though, but something on the...

Oh, oh, oh! How about if the hatchling runs away, it shows up as a cloud of "you can't find the hatchling" fog, and it has one action: Search. Then you send a dragon out to look for it. It can only be done once, and if it isn't done within, like, a day, the cloud of fog goes away, and the hatchling goes to the AP.

That would only happen with botched forcings, though, not normal abandonment.

Just a random idea:

For that to work though, the hatchlings would have to be suspended from the abandoned page for maybe an hour.  (The hatchling runs off in fear to hide in a corner, if not found within an hour by one of your dragons, it wanders to the abandoned page for a new owner)

Ooh, that's not bad! It would be like trying to revive a dragon, but with abandonment, and an egg. Perhaps not with search, though, but something on the...

Oh, oh, oh! How about if the hatchling runs away, it shows up as a cloud of "you can't find the hatchling" fog, and it has one action: Search. Then you send a dragon out to look for it. It can only be done once, and if it isn't done within, like, a day, the cloud of fog goes away, and the hatchling goes to the AP.

ooo yeah.

but yes to the for botched forcing..not regular abandonments.. cause that would mess with trading

QUOTE (~!~ @ Feb 4 2009, 06:02 PM)

QUOTE (rox_squirrel @ Feb 4 2009, 01:40 PM)

Just a random idea:

For that to work though, the hatchlings would have to be suspended from the abandoned page for maybe an hour.  (The hatchling runs off in fear to hide in a corner, if not found within an hour by one of your dragons, it wanders to the abandoned page for a new owner) 

And what if the dragon you sent out on search for it, sometimes, came back with something else instead.

QUOTE (~!~ @ Feb 4 2009, 06:02 PM)

QUOTE (rox_squirrel @ Feb 4 2009, 01:40 PM)

Just a random idea:

And what if the dragon you sent out on search for it, sometimes, came back with something else instead.

It could fail to find an hatchling and bring one of those maidens instead. xd.png

"Sorry boss, couldn't find my child, but here's some conpensation, I brought you a book full of Dc fan art!"

Wow, I just had a weird idea with that joke. We could make the dragon enciclopedia from this suggestion, be unlocked trough searching.

Quinta, that's a good idea; maybe you can find pages of it with searching? Sorta like finding Ansem Reports in Kingdom Hearts, gives you more story behind the game to reward your searchign efforts. :U

Quinta, that's a good idea; maybe you can find pages of it with searching? Sorta like finding Ansem Reports in Kingdom Hearts, gives you more story behind the game to reward your searchign efforts. :U

Yeha, that's what I had thought!

Each dragon could search for part of the book, and whenever, let's say, a red dragon went searching, there would be a chance that it brought back the page with info about the red dragon breed. Magi would bring the magi page and waters would bring the water page and so on. This way, we would also make sure that people only see info about dragons they own already, which was something that was discussed in the other suggestion.

It's not a bad idea actually. biggrin.gif

I just hope I don't have to trade a magical ink vial with one of the pages with my own paper dragon. You guys are making me scared of having to negotiate with a virtual pet in this thread recently.

I agree with idea almost entirely.

Not stealing animals/humans, because what would you do with them? Besides, if that dragon gets peckish...

Yeah.

I would like for my dragons to find rare eggs while out searching, a bit like stealing eggs from the cave. (I'm assuming not all dragons make their lairs there; surely there'd be other 'dragon caves' out it the world?)

But for hatchlings...No, because of the views/clicks scenario.

Would give my lazy dragons something to do other than breed like rabbits.

Idea Edit: Maybe if you had room for an egg, there's a chance of the dragons finding one. If you have no room for one, the dragons won't search for one.

Edited by Shadow-Phoenix-Rider

Aye, I got left over dragons every week from breeding because I have almost double the amount of females to my males... And nothing to do with them for another week. sad.gif

Edit: just read a few posts above me... pretend like no one else suggested this >_>

i think this would be an AWSOME idea! happy.gif w/ if a dragon can come back with an egg? what if all of the dragons could "breed" when they go on their searches? the egg could be the 5th egg and only scrolls with atleast the 5th space open can be avalible for "breeding"

it wouldn't count towards a weekly breeding and you'd have a new egg that could be ANY type depending on what it breed with! it could even be a drop egg like with no parents!

the message could be like "Your dragon brought an egg back with it, did (dragon's name) have a secret randezevous? or did he grab this egg from someone else?"

the egg could even be a breed egg from someone elses two dragons like your dragon convinced them to breed and took an egg as a trophy! biggrin.gif

what do you guys/gals think?

Edited by Deus_Suetonius

Edit: just read a few posts above me... pretend like no one else suggested this >_>

i think this would be an AWSOME idea! happy.gif w/ if a dragon can come back with an egg? what if all of the dragons could "breed" when they go on their searches? the egg could be the 5th egg and only scrolls with atleast the 5th space open can be avalible for "breeding"

it wouldn't count towards a weekly breeding and you'd have a new egg that could be ANY type depending on what it breed with! it could even be a drop egg like with no parents!

the message could be like "Your dragon brought an egg back with it, did (dragon's name) have a secret randezevous? or did he grab this egg from someone else?"

the egg could even be a breed egg from someone elses two dragons like your dragon convinced them to breed and took an egg as a trophy! biggrin.gif

what do you guys/gals think?

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=39897

Calm down...

Do you realise what rows that potiently could cause??? huh.gif

Plus its so uncharasitic of a lot of th e dragons.

what kinds of "rows"? and along with the breeding thing TJ could instatiut the whole "selective mating" thing. Were dragons can pick life mates if you want them to.

And

i honestly have seen ZERO of those "many" threads you guys have been talking about sad.gif

and i think i suggested it a month or so ago... but i can't find it that's why i re-sugested it...

Edited by Deus_Suetonius

If an idea gets shot down - don't repost it. huh.gif

And breeding is set the way its meant to be.

I can perhaps agree that maybe, just maybe a rare egg is found this way, but not from pairs ordered to breed by another dragon.

Wow. Just read through this entire thread (yeah, seriously, I have nothing to do with my time...). And here's my opinion.

Search option = completely awesome!! What a great idea. Like many others, I'd love for my dragons to have something to do besides breed. As for how often they could search and for how long... I say twice a week at the most, maybe at three day intervals or something. And I agree that it should be an instant gratification sort of deal - like the breed option, as has been said. And it definitely shouldn't interfere with breeding.

On the item sprites - I think small sprites for the rarest items/potions would be cool, and that they would be put into a mass hoard at the bottom of your scroll or something, that all the dragons contribute to (after all, they are smart, they'd probably know that you could use a ... growth stimulant or what-have-you). But I also support the idea of them having their own personal hoards where they would keep stuff like gold & silver & gems and other miscellany. Except that might not be sprited (that's a lot of work), and just having text, possibly as a chart or something, would make the most sense, I think. And the replacing the adults views with gold count sounds pretty cool as well.

The keep/throw away option is completely awesome too.

And the breed quirks seem to me to be pretty much a common sense sort of thing - obviously a water could bring back stuff that skywings couldn't, etc.

Bleh. Yeah. Really awesome idea, and those other threads mentioned/linked all look fascinating - I'll have to read through them too!

Oh yes, and mark me as a 'no humans but mebbe animals that get eaten' vote. xd.png Although it would be pretty funny if, in the case of the platypus, the response was something like: "Your dragon returns with an odd-looking creature and doesn't know quite what to do with it" sort of thing. Plus a sprite, obviously, since platypi are just special like that.

And no hatchies. But yes (sort of) to rare eggs - except make that a really hard thing to get, like enormously low probability (like... one out of every 10, or more, searches by that dragon even has the remote possibility of turing one up, and then you have the choice whether or not to keep it if it does turn up, etc etc)

Yeha, that's what I had thought!

Each dragon could search for part of the book, and whenever, let's say, a red dragon went searching, there would be a chance that it brought back the page with info about the red dragon breed. Magi would bring the magi page and waters would bring the water page and so on. This way, we would also make sure that people only see info about dragons they own already, which was something that was discussed in the other suggestion.

It's not a bad idea actually. biggrin.gif

I just hope I don't have to trade a magical ink vial with one of the pages with my own paper dragon. You guys are making me scared of having to negotiate with a virtual pet in this thread recently.

Just so you know, you've been quoted and put in my thread. smile.gif I like this idea.

The dragon could possibly bring back a potion that DECREASES the egg/hatchling's time by one day (rather than giving it an extra day). That way if you had an egg with hatching stats that still had a whiles to go, you could decrease the wait by at least a little bit (assuming you had a dragon search successfully).

If the dragons do end up being able to search for and get eggs, could they be able to bring back a eggshell/dead egg/dead hatchling?

Or would that make an already hard search for it even worse?

If the dragons do end up being able to search for and get eggs, could they be able to bring back a eggshell/dead egg/dead hatchling?

If that happened, people would be really upset especially those that have never had a dead thing of their scroll or those that use TGT. Part of TGT rules is no dead eggs/hatchlings/adults. I don't think it would be a good idea for people to get dead shells/bodies without actually having been bad dragon parents. wink.gif

I figure a good way to fix that is to have a default option to throw away whatever your dragon brings you. Then if it brings you a dead egg, you can chuck it.

I like a lot of the ideas being discussed in this thread, but here's a possible twist.

Have the search function split into two options:

1. Search for trinkets. This covers most of the ideas being talked about in this thread.

2. Search for egg/hatchling. This option could only be be used if you have room on your scroll for an egg or a hatchling. Since we now have the wilderness, & since the abandon page has eggs in it almost all the time, the dragon could just grab an egg or hatchling from there without causing too many problems. You would have no control over what egg or hatchling the dragon might bring back. If you don't like what it brought back, then you can abandon it.

But maybe this could maybe be used to retrieve a run away hatchling, the dragon will go after that one first, but if it can't find it, then it might bring back a different one instead.

Just a possible twist to the ideas being discussed in this thread.

If that happened, people would be really upset especially those that have never had a dead thing of their scroll or those that use TGT. Part of TGT rules is no dead eggs/hatchlings/adults. I don't think it would be a good idea for people to get dead shells/bodies without actually having been bad dragon parents. wink.gif

Oh yeah, I forgot about that...

I agree with the two option search, but my gut says it probably won't get accepted by others, for some reason or another.