Lythiaren

New action: Search

I read till page 6, and stopped reading there. So, if I missed a major point, please tell me.

I'm all for this idea! Some opinion points on sensitive parts:

* I don't want it to interfere with breeding.

* I'd like it if every Dragon has its own hoard (not 1 hoard shared by all dragons).

* I've always thought Dragons are possessive creatures, so they wouldn't share with others?

* Maybe a Yes/No keep option, but on the other hand, wouldn't the dragon defend its property?

* I'm don't mind dragons bringing home princesses, knights, etc.

Also, I don't like the "Quest" name. Quests are something entirely different imo.

-waves support flag-

You're right, "quest" is also not exactly the right word. However, a dragon cannot just go out and find some gold, that's not how it works. He has to fight someone over it, or dig it up from the ruins of an ancient city, crawl through tunnels of a long lost mine, etc. Even more so for exotic magical items. So it's not a simple search, it's an adventure. or something like it.

"Search", apart from sounding confusing on the internet with search engines, implies to me more a casual stroll through the mall, searching for the item the dragon wants.

Any better suggestions?

Searching for things implies going out to look for them. I don't see the problem.

As I said, if it must have a name change, it could be called foraging, surveying, or gathering or some other synonym for the verb.

Seeking smile.gif

It implies more than searching, and sounds more adventuresome and looking for rare things than "foraging"

Edited by Layn

"Seek" is an awkward word, though. I'd considered that as an option but I just couldn't see it on the actions page. Especially since seeking implies that you're looking for something specific, when the dragon will actually just bring back whatever it feels like bringing back. XP

Edited by Lythiaren

it isn't awkward at all. It sounds more mysterious and exotic than "search", and seeking is another word for questing, but doesn't have all the "omg go out and do this quest then come back I'll give you something" implications that questing does.

The dragon is seeking something interesting. Lol. It is bored, and wants to go find something interesting.

You never check your PMs.....

Edited by Layn

That's still an awkward phrase. XP

I'd be all for "adventure", but it also implies that the player gets to do things. tongue.gif

that's why "seek" is a good term to use tongue.gif It only implies that the dragon is doing something. Could be like Seek: The dragon goes out to find something to entertain itself. (alternatively, his or herself)

Gather Send your dragon to gather treasure.

Simpler. >>

but that doesn't include everything that people want from search. I know I've seen people talking about "wouldn't it be funny if when the dragons search they occasionally bring back princesses and knights?"

lol, i think the idea is kinda cute....

I never said they'd always come back with what you sent them to go gather. xd.png

"Sorry boss, couldn't find no treasure but I found this shiny dude! Can I keep him? 8D"

lol. Funny......

I like Hunt. smile.gif Or just ... Go get stuffs. laugh.gif

Sorry, I'll be good now. *halo*

I see the issue with Search, though it doesn't bother me to use it. I don't like forage very much. Too much like looking for eatables in the woods. Seek? Don't like. To me it sounds a bit stuffy. Gather is better, but sounds too much like just picking stuff up that is lying around loose. Explore... but they aren't exploring new territory, they are looking for cool goodies to bring home. Adventure... sounds like we're going out on a long journey with all that implies.

And I like the idea of them bringing home random princesses and knights and stuff. laugh.gif "No, Colmagol, I think you'd better let the King of the Enchanted Forest go home. They might need him. However, keeping that random princess from Far Far Away would be fine. They didn't really want her anyway."

I like search, myself. I don't really care if it makes it sound like something it isn't---once someone uses it enough they'll realize what it is.

Yeah, the thing is with "hunt" is that people will also think they're actually hunting for foodz. xd.png

Accursed semantics! *shakesfist*

Edited by Lythiaren

I really like this idea/suggestion smile.gif and I think it can be easily coupled to this too: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=35940 (sorry if it was already mentioned before, but I'm not going to read 10 pages ... if it is a good idea, please update the first post or something ..)

There the idea is posted of giving a more detailed description of all the dragons. One idea is that your adult red dragon searches and comes back with a page with a (more) detailed description of a red dragon. A white dragon would only find a detailed description of a white dragon, ect. That way people who haven't got the dragon yet will not get a detailed description of it.

Potions for enhanced time for egg/hatchling is also very good in my opinion smile.gif and I also very much like the idea of finding rare eggs!

Edited by albertina

Implementing that with Search was suggested in that thread.

Implementing that with Search was suggested in that thread.

... and did people like that idea? I got the expression they did, so could that be added in the first post of this subject? (for completeness)

No, this thread is for the search function itself, not a list of things people want to see it used for. The stuff on the front page is merely examples, including a few that TJ shot down himself.

wow, when i 1st saw this topic (i didn't get in it yet) i thought:

"ha, the mods will preblly lock this topic in a few days"

'cuz i suggested a google kind of search, for scrolls and dragon before (that didn't work sad.gif)

but your idea is amazing!

but, if you can get a bodyguard for an egg, does that mean that with this search option you can steal other poeple's eggs?

that can be unfair, since people might steal a gift, or linage or somthing.

Edited by oooopoooo

It's indeed a nice idea and needs to be bumped.

But what suggestions in this thread have been shot down/considered so far?