Lythiaren

New action: Search

Ehhh, but the owners are different. We raised them, so why would they do anything to their parent figure?

That's how I saw it, anyway. >.>

Like, if you as their owner decided to tell your dragons that it's okay to kidnapp knights and princesses?

It does make sense.

I think this is an awesome idea! And, just butting into the current convo, but, I would so tell my dragons that it's okay to kidnap knights and princesses. And anyone/thing else!

I'd do it for the lulz factor, actually. >.>;

Just to add the to running tally of the do/do not like living pets idea, I'd be against the stealing of people/animals. There's too much upkeep involved (otherwise that person/animal becomes a corpse kind of quick), and what's to say you don't get people coming by to slay your dragons (or even you) for stealing their princesses/knights/prize pig/Bessie/etc.? If people or animals are implemented, I would really demand that as long as those 'items' are kept, there's a (reasonably high, like 30%) chance for retaliation.

Meat I can understand and support (it's in the descriptions), but I guess I kind of see that as the default, ie your dragon hasn't brought anything back. As such, if the dragon fails to find an interesting item, it just brings back a dragon snack (and there could be various types of flavor text of the snacks depending on the dragon, and probably multiple types of snacks that can be brought back by each dragon type since I'm imagining it is just text), so the implication is that it is not a hoard item because it will be eaten soon and won't last.

I really like the throw away button idea if individual items are actually going to be kept track of. However, it might be easier on the database/code/spriters to have a table under your dragon that lists how many gold coins, gems, rare bits of armor, misc. junk etc. and perhaps only show individual items for the action items (like a potion to add more time to an egg).

One thing I'm wondering about (and I have not seen the hoard thread, so forgive me if it's already been suggested) is whether there might be meta-items, or items that can be assembled from other items of lower value. Like, say, a suit of armor could be assembled from matching bits of armor or two potions can be combined into a different, rarer potion. I imagine, say, a dragon coming back with a wand with an open gem socket, and depending on the gems you have and what you chose to fill that socket with, it affects what the wand can do (single charge wand, and the socket would consume the gem). Or a scroll being found that can turn a normal sword into an enchanted sword (which would consume the scroll), which is a more valuable treasure. I'm afraid it might get too complicated, but the idea popped up in my head so I felt like mentioning it. Please don't beat me up about it ^^;; I don't mean to make things hard for the programmer(s)/database(s)/spriter(s).

Oraxia made a point I thought of and long forgot.

My idea was:

I was wondering about the piles of gold/silver/cooper made by (dovealove?) with several sizes. Would the piles be brought separately or would we only have one pile that grows in size depending on how many coins/chucks of ore we got?

Of course this idea of oraxia's would mean that there would be 3 types of items:

-Junk items: Ores, maidens, pieces of meat, etc. (see how many you can get of each)

-Consumables: Potions, Scrolls, wands, etc... (one time use, then lost)

-Materials: Pieces of iron, Sticks, Magic gems, fairy dust, etc (Items that used one on another produce consumable items or materials of higher grade.)

I think it would be unfair that if you join two materials that don't produce anything you would get a <failure> item and lose the materials. That's something of the nature of MMO's where you control what materials you get. In here, the items would be random, and joining two that don't match to lose them would be more than mean.

I just hope this whole deal wasn't mentioned before.

First, let me say that this is a cool idea. I like the idea of adults searching for stuff & bringing it back.

Next, can someone link to the Hording thread? I haven't found it yet, and I have a neat, highly-unlikely improbable-to-implement idea that is probably more for the Horde thread than here.

Here's hoping I don't forget before I find it...

I think this sounds cool... but seriously, don't let the dragons bring back anything human... Just think about the kinds of things people would joke about DOING to them.

Indeed, let us not forget Rule 34. But I really don't think that it would exacerbate such discussion. I guarantee you that people already joke about the dragons doing inappropriate things to people.

Especially the Vine.

... Especially the Vine.

Edited by Lythiaren

I really like the idea, my addition, and it has probably been said,is that it takes a week (just like breeding) for the dragon to come back. As stated in the OP the item would reflect the dragon's nature, a black dragon is more likely to come back with maybe a slab of meat, or a person as a slave, a white dragon might come back with a plant (maybe a small chance it be a rare herb to help boost strength of babies)

As long as it didn't get out of hand I think it might be a neat idea. Some items could even have a timer on them, like the plant has to be used within 48 hours or it wilts. Other options would be gold and silver, each dragon would get a personal horde. This would do nothing for the game in general but the dragon would gather silver and gold simular to views and clicks, and it's an option for a find, more common, that some items.

Maybe some dragons wouldn't have search though, like the Mint dragon, because it mentions the fact that it stays out of the way. Maybe the Mint dragon could have Scavange? It gives you a VERY small chance to restore an item that you used, or lost, in the last 24 hours, again it would have a 1 week cool down, and not allow the dragon to breed for that week.

I do kind of agree with the poster above though in regaurds to 'living' things like people/animals ... still it would be interesting to get "Red Dragon brings back a chunk of meat" once in a while ...

You know horde items could tie in with breeding. The meat could be used to help a female give more eggs, or even bring two dragons together that might normally not like eachother as much (there would have to be a little intrest to begin with though) ... heck I know if a person brings me dinner I'm a bit happier after ^^;

I disagree with the 1 week cooldown because I like to breed my dragons

but I do like the idea of collecting gold/silver, maybe when dragons become adults the clicks and views are removed since the adults don't need them it would free up space on the server and the silver gold replaced them but you only get it through the search and not because someone views your dragon.

I do like the idea of the meat increasing the chances of breeding between two dragons but it should have to be used within a certain time or go bad. Or perhaps a male dragon could give a female a piece of treasure for her horde such as gems

Indeed, let us not forget Rule 34. But I really don't think that it would exacerbate such discussion. I guarantee you that people already joke about the dragons doing inappropriate things to people.

Especially the Vine.

... Especially the Vine.

Ouch!!!

Your new title just hurt me, lyth!

>.>

<.<

*whistles innocently*

Late in on the game, but a search would be awesome! I think a one week cooldown would be a good idea. If your dragon's be out wandering the forest all week, it makes sense that he'd need a little time to rest up before breeding. No bringing back living things (people, pigs, etc) though- far too messy IMO.

umm, i'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this question, but would the dragon's loot be transferable from horde to horde? like a kind of "[dragon a] seems to want to give this [teapot/rock/shiny green feather of doom] to [dragon b]" or a "you decide [dragon b] would like this [unlit bomb/small book/boulder] better than [dragon a], who found it" kind of thing. or should i go scoot off to dovealove's horde/description thread?

edit: agrawr, gravedig?!

Edited by wrong-correct

This sounds like a fun idea. Right now the only use my adults have are fanfic material. Be nice to send them out to do stuff for themselves.

Same. xd.png I'd skip the icons, though, and just have a list of the stuff on each dragon's scroll. (Unless it's an egg or usable item, of course...)

Dragons should have hoards. xd.png I also like the idea of what a dragon brings back being related to its nature (blue brings in pearls, green brings in funny rocks, etc.), but it might not be easy to figure out what they would find. Can a skywing bring back a cloud? And what about a red? Although a gold might be easy, if we call golds picky and say they only bring back a certain quality of item--and therefore rarely bring anything back, because so little meets their high standards. happy.gif

The other thing I thought of was, think about how the purple description says she only eats meat when brought to her by a male during mating season... What if she'll only mate with a male that has meat in his hoard?

I do like the idea of it being an instant yes/no type thing, like breeding, and also not something you can do hour after hour. Maybe a week, maybe half that, but definitely no longer than a week between times a dragon can go searching.

And this is awesome:

And there could be a link in the dragons veiw page to see little pictures and descriptions of what the dragon has fount plus a "throw away" and "use" link for items. (for throw away ther is a high sucses rate but if it fais it will say "[insert name here] (if unnamed it will say your creature) seems to be attached to tthe item you are tying to discard"
Edited by ArynChris

I'd definitely support this. Gives people more stuff to do than just collect and breed. Actually use the dragons for something other than just breeding.

And maybe, if you had a counterbalance, where you could search OR breed with a specific dragon, but not both, then it could cut down some on the mass breeding as well. Because there would also be plenty of people mass searching.

And maybe, either a dragon could have an individual hoard, or the cave could have a general hoard. Or both, and have it split 50/50. The dragon keeps half for it's hoard, and gives the other half to a cave hoard, that can be some sort of pixel, or even just a number or text wording for people to display the amount of gold, valuebles, or whatnot in non-usable items that they find.

That way, though you could have ocassional items that they might stumble across, most of what they find is unusable 'gold' or something that they can hoard, but not really use.

I think its a really creative idea and i think it would be fun to do with my adults.

good idea (:

I really like this idea. They could go out into the wilderness and take different trails and stuff. There are so many possibilities here.

I'm a big fan of this idea, and I like it being used in conjunction with the Ascended Project as well.

Wow, this is an old thread...

What was the accumulation of the items hoarded going to be? Would the dragons give hoarded items to their owner, putting them on the user's scroll? Or would the dragon have its hoard on its page, denoting that those items belong to that particular dragon?

I'd definitely support this. Gives people more stuff to do than just collect and breed. Actually use the dragons for something other than just breeding.

And maybe, if you had a counterbalance, where you could search OR breed with a specific dragon, but not both, then it could cut down some on the mass breeding as well. Because there would also be plenty of people mass searching.

And maybe, either a dragon could have an individual hoard, or the cave could have a general hoard. Or both, and have it split 50/50. The dragon keeps half for it's hoard, and gives the other half to a cave hoard, that can be some sort of pixel, or even just a number or text wording for people to display the amount of gold, valuebles, or whatnot in non-usable items that they find.

That way, though you could have ocassional items that they might stumble across, most of what they find is unusable 'gold' or something that they can hoard, but not really use.

The idea I had in mind just let the dragon keep all the common miscellaneous trinkets for itself. All special items (eg. Ascension elixirs, whatever other usables) would be passed to the scroll owner because '[your dragon] has no use for it, so it gives the [item] to you'.

Alternatively, 'while sorting through [your dragon]'s pile of discarded items, you find a(n) [item] tossed in with the junk'.

I'm still opposed to the one-action-per-week idea, because it makes little IC sense. The action of mating does not completely exhaust the creature for a week, nor does going off for an hour or two to look for sparkly things. Since post-mating refractory periods occur in many creatures in real life, it could well be that the draconic refractory period lasts a week. But the aforementioned refractory periods don't typically affect anything other than breeding behavior, so it shouldn't affect their ability to find shiny things. Not unless they and their partner are so good that they both get zonked out for a week somehow. Similarly, finding something shiny within the realm of the site's time era doesn't exactly use up a dragon's mojo, so to speak. But it would have found everything worth finding at the time of searching, so it could just refuse to look for more until enough stuff has accumulated to be worth searching, conveniently taking a week. That time could be put to a better use. Like, say, breeding. Or hunting if they're on refractory. Or whatever else it is your dragons do with their time.

Anyway, this action isn't meant to be shoehorned into the "cut down the mass breeding!!!!!" pile, because if it was, I would discard it if I was in TJ's place. Mass-breeding is a user-created problem caused by a well-meaning but shortsighted idea, and therefore it's up to the users to correct it ourselves.

This suggestion is only supposed to expand gameplay and give our dragons a little more life. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the prevention of mass breeding. And it shouldn't. Ever.