Lythiaren

New action: Search

I actually like the idea of a dragon coming back with a hatchling. Maybe it could only happen if you have only one or two of the hatchling spaces filled or could be counted as a bred dragon.

I like this idea as long as the vast majority of the items the dragons brought back didn't do anything. Items that affect gameplay, ex. time extension or fertility potions, should be extremely rare, if they exist at all. I don't care much for dragons going out and bringing back eggs or hatchlings either since that takes away the "stealing" element of the game. (I also doubt that dragons often go around stealing the eggs of other dragons.)

Stealing people and animals would be fine though. I wouldn't mind if my dragon came home with the occasional virgin/knight/cow for its hoard.

Mmm...I'd be fine with searching being immediate or taking a couple hours. A whole day would be too long, but 2-3 hours is reasonable considering that they do have to go look for things. On the other hand, since a week in the game is at least 200 years (as hatchlings take around 100 years to become adults), it'd make sense for searching to be immediate as well.

Edited by kimetara

Indeed, I'd prefer for most searched things to be completely useless generic 'hoard' things like coins, gems, and jewels. And of course the stereotypical 'junk' item, the beat-up old leather boot.

It would completely alter gameplay if things like fertiliy potions and things were easily obtainable. Time extensions would be especially gamebreaking.

This is also why I proposed the multiple loot tables as well. If you have a low chance of getting anything useful at all, then you have an even lower chance of getting whatever specific item you really really want out of the set of rare/useful things. But that chance is what would keep people searching. Like a slot machine! :B

Indeed, I'd prefer for most searched things to be completely useless generic 'hoard' things like coins, gems, and jewels. And of course the stereotypical 'junk' item, the beat-up old leather boot.

It would completely alter gameplay if things like fertiliy potions and things were easily obtainable. Time extensions would be especially gamebreaking.

This is also why I proposed the multiple loot tables as well. If you have a low chance of getting anything useful at all, then you have an even lower chance of getting whatever specific item you really really want out of the set of rare/useful things. But that chance is what would keep people searching. Like a slot machine! :B

I agree, mostly useless (stuff that doesn't do anything) but fun stuff! I would smile at my dragons bringing home random things. smile.gif

I wouldn't really like the idea of dragons bringing back humans and most other animals. I wouldn't want them bringing back hatchlings either, though I suppose I wouldn't mind a rare message like "Your dragon manages to communicate to you that it has found a lost hatchling. Do you wish to send your dragon back out to retrieve the hatchling?" since that would mean I could choose whether I took it or not.

I remember in the same Descriptions thread I mentioned before someone suggested being able to use some of the loot in some sort of "market" section of the cave where you could spend/sell some of the treasure your dragon found. I wouldn't mind that either, though it seems like it might be difficult to implement, so long as any rare items being sold weren't so cheap that you could pick one up whenever you decided it'd be nice to have one.

Maybe we should have an keep/discard button when they bring things back? that way we could choose what our dragons hoarded? That would be fun for me as I have a few dragon descriptions that talk about what various dragons like to hoard. (one likes wagon wheels and lamps).

Edited by undertow

And there could be a link in the dragons veiw page to see little pictures and descriptions of what the dragon has fount plus a "throw away" and "use" link for items. (for throw away ther is a high sucses rate but if it fais it will say "[insert name here] (if unnamed it will say your creature) seems to be attached to tthe item you are tying to discard"

"[insert name here] (if unnamed it will say your creature) seems to be attached to tthe item you are tying to discard"

hehehe, I like that. It's cute! xd.png

Throw away button idea is awesome. I like it very much, `specially for personalizing hoards!

This sounds like a pretty awesome idea. You know certain dragons might only be able to bring back certain things. But I think the horde wouldn't pertain to one dragon, but to all of them. Other wise what ever you bring back would only effect that dragon (in theory). Pictures her dragons with a horde of things.

I also think that not everything they bring back to horde would be considered useful. But, it could be considered something of a toy to the dragon... So that it isn't just trash.

Edited by Doll_81

I love this idea, but maybe not for the rare eggs. No, I don't have any yet, but I think they should be worked for. How about instead of some random pile of gold it could say like..."You sent your skiwing out on a mission and it has returned to the cave with three gold coins." That could be fun and we could have a little pile of gold at the bottom of our scroll with a tally saying how many pieces are in our piles like the dragons have clicks.

Or we could take it a step farther and it would be a gold pile for each individual dragon and the accumulation of gold it has collected. ninja.gif Then they could show off their ninja gold theft skills!

It all sounds great. One thing I'd add is either Search or Breed, but not both in the same week. Sounds pretty basic, but I don't recall seeing it mentioned in this thread.

As for things to find: places where things could hide. Small dragons can fit into smaller places. Large dragons can carry larger items. Maybe there are things that float in the air or are submerged in water.

Why limit it to useful things. Anchors, diving helmets, helium balloons, platypuses, a burning bush - who knows what's out there.

I vote dragons should be able to hoard platypi!

I love the idea of a hoard feature, I'm actually amazed that it was never supposed to be implimented from the begining. Dragons and harding go together like... dragons and caves.

I think the whole egg thing might be good if limited... like, say you've tried to get an egg all week, but to no avail. You could send a female out to search for an abandoned egg or hatchling. Only one, and there's the same whole odds for getting a rare when searching as there is when just trying to grab from a drop.

This might be fairer to those of us with rather slow connections who can only get eggs at like.. 4 in the morning.

I think that the dragons shouldn't be able to hoard live people/animals, and that you shouldn't be able to get eggs/hatchlings. That sort of defeats the idea of a hoard, because live things die, and dragons live so long, so they wouldn't want a dead or decaying thing rotting away among their coins and gems and stuff. I also think it would be interesting if each dragon had a hoarding level that went up as the dragon became more expirienced at hoarding, with more valuble gems and higher ammounts of coins collected. Each dragon's collected coins could increase from, say, "(insert dragon's name here) has 367 coins", to like "(insert dragon's name here) has 342 coins" after the use of the seach option yeilds 5 coins. Just my two cents worth of idas!

I really like the idea, my addition, and it has probably been said,is that it takes a week (just like breeding) for the dragon to come back. As stated in the OP the item would reflect the dragon's nature, a black dragon is more likely to come back with maybe a slab of meat, or a person as a slave, a white dragon might come back with a plant (maybe a small chance it be a rare herb to help boost strength of babies)

As long as it didn't get out of hand I think it might be a neat idea. Some items could even have a timer on them, like the plant has to be used within 48 hours or it wilts. Other options would be gold and silver, each dragon would get a personal horde. This would do nothing for the game in general but the dragon would gather silver and gold simular to views and clicks, and it's an option for a find, more common, that some items.

Maybe some dragons wouldn't have search though, like the Mint dragon, because it mentions the fact that it stays out of the way. Maybe the Mint dragon could have Scavange? It gives you a VERY small chance to restore an item that you used, or lost, in the last 24 hours, again it would have a 1 week cool down, and not allow the dragon to breed for that week.

I do kind of agree with the poster above though in regaurds to 'living' things like people/animals ... still it would be interesting to get "Red Dragon brings back a chunk of meat" once in a while ...

You know horde items could tie in with breeding. The meat could be used to help a female give more eggs, or even bring two dragons together that might normally not like eachother as much (there would have to be a little intrest to begin with though) ... heck I know if a person brings me dinner I'm a bit happier after ^^;

Edited by AngieFC

I do kind of agree with the poster above though in regaurds to 'living' things like people/animals ... still it would be interesting to get "Red Dragon brings back a chunk of meat" once in a while ...

You know horde items could tie in with breeding. The meat could be used to help a female give more eggs, or even bring two dragons together that might normally not like eachother as much (there would have to be a little intrest to begin with though) ... heck I know if a person brings me dinner I'm a bit happier after ^^;

The purple and pink say in there descriptions that...:

They eat only plants, and meat during mating season when it is brought to them by their mate.

*Hint hint nug nug?*

I really like the idea, my addition, and it has probably been said,is that it takes a week (just like breeding) for the dragon to come back. As stated in the OP the item would reflect the dragon's nature, a black dragon is more likely to come back with maybe a slab of meat, or a person as a slave, a white dragon might come back with a plant (maybe a small chance it be a rare herb to help boost strength of babies)

What are you talking about? I said nothing about breed-specific items nor did I say it should put your dragon out of commission for a week. After all if he's away searching all week, then he can't breed. I never intended this suggestion to interfere with breeding. Ever. Otherwise it cuts off breeders from a feature simply because they are breeders.

While I do love this idea, I have two questions about some of the more controversial things the dragons could bring back:

Hatchlings - how would the views/clicks on a hatchling be decided? Does every hatchling/egg picked up come with a certain number of clicks?

Meat/people/animals - wouldn't the dragon eat it, and therefore there would be nothing to hoard? ^__^

Woot! awesome idea! but my dragon wants to have human (and platypus tongue.gif ) pets

While I do love this idea, I have two questions about some of the more controversial things the dragons could bring back:

Hatchlings - how would the views/clicks on a hatchling be decided? Does every hatchling/egg picked up come with a certain number of clicks?

Meat/people/animals - wouldn't the dragon eat it, and therefore there would be nothing to hoard? ^__^

On Hatchlings:

I don't think they'd be a good idea anyway, for precisely this reason. Unless they were given a hidden boost or were treated as "eggs" that grow directly to adults, it wouldn't be a viable loot option. Plus it would require extra coding. Not necessarily difficult coding, but coding that would make things rather complicated. Plus what happens if the owner abandons; the new owner would have no way to tell if it was a searched baby, and would therefore either have a panic attack or be misled into believing that the lower numbers are sufficient for growing.

On meat/people/animals:

Depends on the dragon. Meat doesn't make much sense, but if the dragon wanted to enslave a person, who's going to stop them? Though it seems people don't like that idea, sooo~ :B

Edited by Lythiaren

I don't like the peope finding idea in this site's context.

I mean, each user is a human (because the abandoned page says so... Even though I'd prefer to be an hume), so therefore, the dragons obey that human or at least put up with him.

Why would the dragons kidnap another humans but don't do a thing to their owner?

Out of the context... Well, every fairy tale as a dragon who kidnapped a princess or holds a great treasure. So It's not inconceivable that any of our own dragons would do it.

It would be in tresting if a male white dragon got in love with a damnsel and decided to take her inside his cave.