Lythiaren

New action: Search

Implementing that with Search was suggested in that thread.

Actually, it was suggested in this thread...

But who cares for details? Last time I peeked the devil wasn't there. If the idea needs a bump, it should be given in the other thread, and then the first page edited.

Bumbping this so it can be seen on the same page as Ascension and Hoarding.

but, if you can get a bodyguard for an egg, does that mean that with this search option you can steal other poeple's eggs?

that can be unfair, since people might steal a gift, or linage or somthing.

can anyone answer me about this?

i posted this almost a month ago (month minus two days)

No one was suggesting that you can steal other people's eggs. I think the bodyguard thing was to prevent malicious over viewing of eggs. I'd have to go back and read again to be sure.

I rather like the idea of calling it 'Forage', myself. It's not quite as epic as 'Quest', not so confusing as 'Search', not as stuffy as 'Seek', and doesn't *quite* carry the same strictly looking-for-food connotations as 'Gather'.

Massively awesome idea. I kinda like the chance of finding a rare egg (maybe 5% success rate at the outside), but not a hatchie. I don't think it should interfere with breeding on a week-long cooldown, but perhaps we could arrange it so that a dragon that has gone foraging can't mate for 2 days afterward (it's sleeping off its efforts) and then can't forage again until a week after it last went out foraging (either sleeping or counting its shiny things or waiting for things to accumulate).

Also enjoying the idea of finding a forced hatchie within an hour. Again, one shot only.

Someone mentioned the idea of meat being brought back and used to tempt a mate. I think we could make that work. Maybe breeding a dragon to one with meat in its hoard would bump up the chance of a successful breeding 25%? Not upping the chances of a multi-egg clutch, but of getting the adults to produce one egg in the first place.

I really like this idea/suggestion smile.gif and I think it can be easily coupled to this too: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=35940 (sorry if it was already mentioned before, but I'm not going to read 10 pages ... if it is a good idea, please update the first post or something ..)

There the idea is posted of giving a more detailed description of all the dragons. One idea is that your adult red dragon searches and comes back with a page with a (more) detailed description of a red dragon. A white dragon would only find a detailed description of a white dragon, ect. That way people who haven't got the dragon yet will not get a detailed description of it.

Potions for enhanced time for egg/hatchling is also very good in my opinion smile.gif and I also very much like the idea of finding rare eggs!

me gotz ideas! laugh.gif

with what you said, how about that every dragon can find (altho very rare) a detailed page for the undead dragon and a different page for the neglected! ohmy.gif

i mean, the art of neglecting and killing is long gone (except those who know how, yet its not aloud to speak of it) so why not "revive" it by finding a "how to do" guide? blink.gif

me gotz ideas! laugh.gif

with what you said, how about that every dragon can find (altho very rare) a detailed page for the undead dragon and a different page for the neglected! ohmy.gif

i mean, the art of neglecting and killing is long gone (except those who know how, yet its not aloud to speak of it) so why not "revive" it by finding a "how to do" guide? blink.gif

No.

TJ wants us to find that out for ourselves. If you can't figure it out, you don't deserve to have one. Putting instructions into the game ruins both dragons for everybody.

And yes, I'm aware that I'm one of those people who does not deserve one. Yet.

Edited by Lythiaren

*cough*I know how to get them, but I ain't tellin'.*cough*

I agree with Lyth, though.

Edited by Zovesta

Somewhere earlier in this thread, I seem to recall somebody mentioning that he/she didn't think 'forage' was a food-related term.

Actually, since nobody else has yet, I think I'd better point out that 'cattle forage' is cattle fodder - food - i.e. hay, etc., and one commonly forages in the fridge/pantry/cupboards for something to eat.

My puter's as tired as I am, and refuses to let me search, (won't even call up the 'Home Page' to start) at least until I reboot, I guess, (and it takes so looooong) so no quoted examples handy, but a Google search might be an idea.

One may, I suppose, forage for other things, although I've never heard it used in any other sense but for edible supplies, but food will always be the first thing that springs to mind.

I've just looked it up in an approximately 40-pound (feels like it right now, anyway) Webster's Dictionary, and the term pertains to food or the provision of food, which does include scavenging and raiding, but specifically horse or cattle fodder, or human food.

It doesn't seem that 'forage' would be an appropriate term for a search for predominately non-edible items.

Although 'quest' - meaning the act of seeking/to search - is not only descriptive but sounds kinda cool, even if you only get a lousy toothbrush from the grocery aisle out of the deal.

Although 'quest' - meaning the act of seeking/to search - is not only descriptive but sounds kinda cool, even if you only get a lousy toothbrush from the grocery aisle out of the deal.

I do like 'quest' as an idea. And it really doesn't have to be anything epic. A friend of mine will frequently say he's "questing for fire" when all he's really after is a lighter. I'm almost tempted to say that the more ridiculous items that could be turned up by 'questing' the better.

After all... who's to say a dragon knows what's valuble in human terms? They may just be collecting things they find beautiful/amusing/interesting.

seems like a pretty cool idea and something interesting to do between breedings. and i think that Search is a fine name for it. everything on the actions page has a tiny description beside it yeah? so all it has to say is 'Search-Send the dragon to look for items' or something along those lines.

I still hope this idea gets implimented along with the Hoard and Ascension concepts.

Your dragon would have to go out and search for the potion. Another thing search it could be used for is mates. Male dragons have an extra button on the search function that lets them be able to breed with others outside it's cave.

So when you click breed you have a chance to breed outside your cave.

Why only males? Resulting eggs would be produced by the female and so he wouldn't even be able to bring one back.

That said, breeding with wild dragons is a bad idea. People would start spamming that in hopes of getting a gold or an alt from a wild dragon. Barring wilderness breeding, breeding with other people's dragons without consent is a huge no-no. I don't want to find out that one of my females is suddenly on breeding cooldown with a strange male that is not the lifemate I chose for her, and I'm sure others would feel the same. It would disrupt a lot of people's normal breeding patterns, that's for sure.

Edited by Lythiaren

Why only males? Resulting eggs would be produced by the female and so he wouldn't even be able to bring one back.

That said, breeding with wild dragons is a bad idea. People would start spamming that in hopes of getting a gold or an alt from a wild dragon. Barring wilderness breeding, breeding with other people's dragons without consent is a huge no-no. I don't want to find out that one of my females is suddenly on breeding cooldown with a strange male that is not the lifemate I chose for her, and I'm sure others would feel the same. It would disrupt a lot of people's normal breeding patterns, that's for sure.

I agree that breeding with dragons from other people's scrolls, especially without that person's consent, would be a huge no no.

Breeding with wild dragons, though, I don't think would be so much of a problem. The chances of getting a gold egg from wilderness breeding seems like it would be far less than catching one on the AP or in the cave.

I love this idea happy.gif Not sure how the hoard would work, besides maybe just a worth counter under the left column or something. Or maybe a link there and for each amount level of wealth you have, it has a different picture of gold??

And wouldn't breeding with dragons outside of your scroll make the program that much more complicated?

Edited by GenraCrimscon

I am completely loving this idea and I hope it gets put in. biggrin.gif Maybe dragons could occasionally fight for hoards? After a dragon has x amount of items in hoard, you can't let them search some more because they're injured from fighting?

Firstly this is a wonderfull idea! Now that that's out there I'm not certian if this item was sugested yet or not. I only did the basic readig for such a eppic thread/sugestion.

I like the idea of a yes/no keep option but how about adding in the random chance of the dragon refusing to let it go. Like how some times a hatchling keeps folowing you home when you ty to abandon it. Dragons are possiv creatures so the random chance of them refusing to let go would make it fun.

One item. Super rare could be a gender switch potion. It won't work on dragons with set genders like purples and dinos but any dragon could change which gender it is with it. It's easy to get over anxious and name a dragon to early only to have it gender wrong on you. Even with a mismatched name/gender I wouldn't want to loos the guy I raised. I know Pinks can influnce an egg now but some people don't like them or whish one dragon thats already an adult was a different gender on their scroll.

Your dragon could bring back peices of egg shells as one of it's possible items. The egg shel peices themselves would come out roughly at the same rate ast the whole eggs on the cave drops. Say a top half and a bottom half. If you colected both peices you could put them togeather and add an "Peiced togeather egg" to your hoard pile. This would make all the people who wanted to collect the eggs to wildly happy but keep eggs free to be raised on scrolls.

That being said. I want to have a massive toilet plunger hoard! This feature will make people truly nutz with some of their hoards. Their will be as many different colections as there is ways to have scrools.

Edited by Deshera

Lythiaren used Phoenix Down! Search thread has been revived! :V

Suggestion needs moar idea-cement to hold it up k.

Cemet? Kay, we can do this.

Quoted from Rally Vincent . This sums up a lot of the hoarding thread, and since these guys go hand in hand

Concept for Hoarding (Cave hoard)

I. How to get items

Not surprising, items will be acquired via the action search. Every dragon will be capable of searching.

II. How does searching work?

1. Areas

There will be several areas where dragons can search for items. A dragon can access any area it unless its physical features deny it from doing so. Many items can be found in any area, but there will be “area specific items” that can be found exclusively in a particular area (see sec-tion items).

There are seven areas (expendable in the future if necessary):

a. Mountaintops

Mountaintops are unfriendly environments. Landslides and avalanches make moun-taintops dangerous places, and unpredictable up-currents can prove surprise even ex-perienced flyers. Small and agile dragons may be able to reach places that are other-wise inaccessible places.

Restricted to: Skywing, Whiptail, Thunder, Gray Dragon, Pygmy, Canopy

b. Plains

[insert description]

No waterbased dragons

c. Forest

[insert description]

No waterbased dragons

Different items may be found wether the dragon searches the treetops (flying type dragons) or the ground (regular groundbased dragons)

d. Desert

Deserts are barren lands where creatures and plants alike have to struggle to survive. Extremely high temperatures by day and chilling cold at night make life in the desert very hard. During the rain period the desert seems to awaken from a long slumber; rains transform the desert into a blooming paradise.

Dry Period (June to March): Restricted to Dragons that can endure heat

Rain Period (April to May): All dragons except sea-based dragons. During Rain Period there may be different items to be found…

e. Shore

[insert description]

No restrictions.

Different items may be found during “Low Tide” (midnight to 6 am and noon to 6 pm) and “High Tide” (6 am to noon and 6pm to midnight).

f.Deep Sea

[insert description]

Restricted to: Deep Sea, Water, Waterhorse, Bluna

g. High North

[insert description]

Restricted to Seasonal/Winter, Icicle

Different items may be found during Freeze Period (September to May) and Summer-time (June to August)

2. Cave Hoard

All found items are stored in the Cave Hoard (as opposite to the dragon’s individual hoard). With hundreds of dragons on a scroll, individual hoards will lead to having items with Dragon A that would be needed at Dragon B and vice versa. It has been proposed that items would be interchangeable within the same scroll, but I like the Cave Hoard bet-ter, and if just because it would be hard to imagine how the user could force a dragon to exchange. If we pretend that the dragons would be willing to

3. Sorts of items

There will be three or four types of items:

a. Combinable items

Those will consist of gems and similar stuff. Once a certain number of identical items are collected, they can be combined to a small pile. Several small piles can then be combined to a bigger pile and so on until finally a huge pile of … is achieved. This sort is mainly a sort of default search result.

b. Sets of items

There will be sets of items that can be found at various different areas. The challenge will be to acquire a whole set. Sets could consist of types of gold coins, matching ar-mor sets and “area sets” (meaning a set of five items only to be found in a specific area).

Those would be uncommon items.

c. Unique items

Those items will be unique for each scroll hoard (not unique for the game). They serve as “rare success search result”. It could be pretty much any item that is “rare”, wether it is a valuable item or just junk.

d. Usable items?

Usable items have been proposed. In my concept, usable items will not be found unless it would be necessary for the Ascension Project. If there are usable items, it will lead to much drama just about how luck favours Player A and how Player B will never ever get said item. Of course, it probably will be that way with the other items, too - but if an item is just a decoration, it doesn’t really matter. If it has an effect on the game itself, drama will be much more intense. (Discussion welcome in this point)

4. Mechanism

a. Going with the Cave Hoard, there would have to be a cooldown for the search feature. Take an average scroll with 150 dragons, and it’s clear that a daily search for every dragon would lead to getting all of the items too quick. items need to be sprited, and even if new items are introduced, searching too often would soon make the feature pretty much use-less. A good cooldown would be four weeks. Raising dragons would be beneficial.

An unpopular thought: Only adult dragons would be able to search. Special hatchling items have been discussed; yet, if hatchlings were able to search, users could effectively search more often over a certain time period. Instead of having to raise dragons the whole nine yards, freezing them would allow to have more dragons to search. (discussion also welcome)

b. Search results would be evaluated by set percentages:

Failure: 70%

Success (general item): 15%

If successful:

80% chance of a combinable item

15% chance of a “set item”

5% chance of an unique item

Success (area specific item): 15%

If successful:

80% chance of a combinable item

15% chance of a “set item”

5% chance of an unique item

c. Claiming items

If an item was found, the user would get the chance to either claim or discard the item. The Cave Hoard would be displayed at a page linked from the user’s scroll. In the ac-count options, the Hoard can be hidden if the user prefers not to take part in this mini-game.

d. Trading of items?

A big no for me; to complete you’ll have to compete. Or else said, this minigame shall be a way to interact with your dragons. This minigame is about interacting with your dragons (and passing time when nothing else can be done). Speeding up collecting by trading negates this effect. If you can trade for it, it’s not really a reward, but a currency. Also, people will start trading rare eggs against items. Let’s not go there. It’s already-hard enough for new players to trade for rares.

The dragon goes out in search of loot. It has a 50% chance it finds something. If it does indeed find something, based on a "percentile roll" (remember, I'm using the functions of D&D to try to understand the workings of a program) it could come back with...

Stupid useless shi† (1-20%)

1. old shoe

2. old boot

Traditional dragon-coveted shines; high-end (61-70%)

Useful herbs/natural stuff/potions (71-80%)

71. herb, fertility (ensures eggs will be laid on next breeding)

72. herb, aphrodisiac (ensures dragons will mate at next attempt/gives added breeding attempt in the week)

73. herb, caffeine (ensures a successful premature forcing out of egg)

74. mineral, calcium (extends time for hatchlings and eggs)

75. fruit (provides the equivalent of 5 unique views)

76. vegetable (provides the equivalent of 5 clicks)

77. potion, thawing potion (for unfreezing hatchlings or eggs)

78. potion, reviving potion (aids in the revival of a deceased dragon)

79. potion, blue (if given to a young hatchling it will become male)

80. potion, red (if given to a young hatchling it will become female)

I love this idea. Hope I didn't mess up editing the quote too much. And I don't know if this already has a comment but I'd be eager with the chance of getting a potion to unfreeze. I know I regret freezing some of my caveborns.

P.S. LOL and I can also see the hatchlings wearing the boots as a hat.

Edited by Dragonbox

Oh this sounds like an interesting idea. I like it xd.png Maybe with the search feature and all of the goodies they bring back, maybe there could be a page for viewing some of the things your dragons have brought back, kinda like a display case and other users could view it as well xd.png

NOTE: This feature should not share a cooldown with breeding. I'm sick of people trying to shoehorn AP crowd control into this thread. There is no rule against breeding, and the system should not be implying that you should not be using a feature available to you. After all, if no one bred their dragons we'd all be fighting over caveborns. If you want to propose a solution to AP clogs, do it in your own thread and leave Search OUT OF IT.

So ever since the "elder" suggestion that Phazzy made awhile back, I've been thinking. I suggested this in that thread, but I think it kind of warrants a thread of its own. It's not like this function would exist entirely for purposes of an "ascension" feature, after all.

I know a lot of suggestions in the past have been looking for something to do with our adults. As it stands now, all they seem to do is make eggs. Since they just pop out more of the same eggs that produce the same dragons, breeding can quickly become rather dull.

So with this in mind, I propose the addition of a new weekly action on all adults: Search.

Now, this action by itself won't do all that much. Click "Search", and as the name implies, your dragon will go out and search for things, then come back. Possible outcomes are pretty obvious: either it comes back with some loot or it doesn't.

It can be up to TJ how high he wants the chance of success to be. If this feature gets implemented, intially it can be paired up with Dove's idea of hoards, as well as the "Ascension Elixir" idea. Loot gathered by a dragon can be added to his/her personal (dragonal? :V) hoard. Different breeds collecting different things, larger hoards gathering more valuable objects, etc.

The reason I wanted to suggest this, though, is not to provide a gateway to Dove's hoarding idea, nor for the elder stage suggestion. Imagine the possibilities that could be inserted with a low chance upon successful searching.

Rare eggs that don't appear in the main cave entrance?

Items affecting breeding, like, say a fertility draught?

For the sake of prestige, people for various purposes as servants?

Time extension items for those with eggs in trouble?

Medicines to increase resistance to soft shell and sickness?

Well okay, these possibilities wouldn't be without their restrictions. For one, the rare eggs thing might only appear if you have enough space for the egg (thus encouraging people to avoid maxing out their eggs/hatchlings).

Items could be added to your scroll so you can use them on any dragon/egg of choice, but as one-time use only. Perhaps a fertility draught would allow a dragon on breeding cooldown to sneak in one extra breeding attempt for that week. Medicines could be used one per dragon to make it just a little easier to avoid softshell/sickness, as well as increasing the tolerance to malicious refreshers. Time extensions could be one-per-dragon to give a half-day boost or something. A small safeguard for those who just grabbed that coveted gold and want to keep it safe. Consumable items can be used by adding a "Use (item)" action to your dragons whenever such an item exists on your scroll.

But those are just random examples to illustrate my point. A "Search" action could open the doors to so many possibilities. Opinions?

Referred threads:

Dovealove's description/hoard suggestion

PhazonDragon's 4th stage (elder/ancient/ascended) suggestion

Sorry if this was already brought up but wasn't search originally suggested for the mint dragons?