Lythiaren

New action: Search

Can I make sprites out of, say, item sprites from the Pokemon games? Or would that result in item fog like the legendary dragon fog?

These ideas sound like a lot of fun!

The only suggestion I have right now is that the thing that adds time could also reduce time too, for those of us who usually end up always having their eggs/hatchlings hatch on the 3.5 mark.

Can I make sprites out of, say, item sprites from the Pokemon games? Or would that result in item fog like the legendary dragon fog?

we just wouldnt use them..no need for fog for items that we have a choice of using

anyways... you can make similar items maybe..*no pokeballs* but not copyright stuffs

I like this idea. It gives us something entertaining to do with our adults, although perhaps they can hunt a little more often than once a week, like maybe once every few days? (I mean, think about it. It's not like breeding where you then have to raise a baby/wait to get back in heat... you just go out and drag it back.)

The other interesting thing about it is that it's a circumstance where occasionally getting rare eggs would actually make sense, since these dragons are likely to sometimes bring back babies. Not like some of the other suggestions that have been bouncing around for getting rare eggs...

Uhh... I'd really prefer that we didn't use copyrighted material again. Making sprites out of Pokemon items, which are already sprites, is... kind of the same thing.

I love this idea and I agree that we should AVOID making the same mistake twice.

We already know we shouldn’t use copyrighted stuff from The Great Fog.

I think we could make up our own originally generic items and makes them all pretty and awesome.

o-o This idea could mean not only collecting dragons, but items too.

If they are cute/hot/wickedly awesome I would and I know others might too.

Edited by RainyKins

I will attempt to sprite the drawings that were posted earlier...

I'm better at spriting things than animals, like dragons...

I just read through the first post becasue I'm rather run down right now. AND I LIKE IT! I think it would add an element of adventure to all this.

One item i thought of, something to beable to rename the dragon? one time use type thing.

Edited by maybop

XP Everyone wants a renamer item.

XP Everyone wants a renamer item.

heh, of course! It would have to be super-rare if it exists at all though. I just want to be able to hoard stuff, even if it's unusable. I even have written some hoarding behavior stuff into my dragons' descriptions. rolleyes.gif

I posted a bunch of item ideas like this in the dragon descriptions thread awhile ago. Since there's now an official thread for items I'll move them here. biggrin.gif

My own hoarded item descriptions:

Lump of Gold: This used to be a small pile of gold coins, before the dragon fire melted them.

Human Skull: Where'd that come from?

Dragon Talon: This sharp talon appears to be a trophy your dragon won in battle.

Dragon Scales: This handful of scales appears to have been blasted off the losing dragon during a battle of magic.

Griffin Heart Stone: This gem is the hardened core of a rare tropical plant. When picked, the core of the flower crystallizes into a blood red, heart shaped gem.

Arm Bone: How odd, a human arm bone. It looks as though sharp fangs closed upon it, perhaps as it was reaching for eggs.

Scrap of Red Cloth: This shredded cloth looks to have been part of the cape of a lord, before it was forcibly torn from his back.

Piece of Blue Satin: A shiny bit of cloth that must have been a part of a beautiful garment, but it's sadly singed now.

Jeweled Gauntlet: This gauntlet must have belonged to someone very rich. I wonder how they lost it?

Gem Encrusted Egg: This pretty prize is shaped like an egg. What do you suppose would happen if you placed it with your other eggs?

Tiny Green Glove: A silk glove that looks like it belonged to a child.

Glass Slipper: Bits of dried pumpkin are clinging to this odd shoe.

Ugly Ore: This ore seems to have no value. Perhaps a bit of dragon fire and magic could find refine it?

Shiny Round Thing This small sphere is very shiny. *_*

Claymore: The blade of this sword is broken, as if it shattered against the breast of a dragon before its bearer was consumed.

Rapier: The hilt of this sword is covered in gold and jewels, indicating that it was ceremonial or owned by someone who was very wealthy. Now it is owned by your dragon.

Sword Dragon Sword: It is nearly impossible to acquire a Sword Dragon's sword, as you must break the magic that binds the sword to the dragon without breaking the magic that has summoned the sword into existence. Most attempts to do this leave the would be thief in several pieces.

Rune: This rune is covered in tarnished gold. You're not sure where it came from, but it looks like it was once embedded in the wall of an ancient stone structure. Perhaps it holds some dark secret?

White Pearl: A giant white pearl wrested from its oyster by a powerful water dragon.

Black Pearl: Arrrr

I should try and sketch the things I mentioned earlier.

If we had special, rare, useable items (would you buy them?) would things like this work? :

Dew of Haste When spread upon an egg or fed to a hatchling, this dew increases the rate of growth hormone production. (Subtracts 24 hours from the time till death.)

Dew of Sloth When spread upon an egg or fed to a hatchling, this dew decreases the rate of growth hormone production. (Adds 24 hours to the time till death.)

Funeral Prayer This prayer is said to help settle the souls of the dead. (Subtract x days from the time till a dead egg or tombstone disappears from your scroll.)

????? When fed to a female dragon, this herb/potion/???? increases the probability of a produced egg being the same species she is. (Does not increase probability of producing an egg, but increases probability that an egg, if produced, is the same breed as the mother.)

????? When fed to a male dragon, this herb/potion/???? increases the probability of a produced egg being the same species he is. (Does not increase probability of producing an egg, but increases probability that an egg, if produced, is the same breed as the father.)

????? When fed to a dragon, this herb/potion/???? increases the probability that an egg will be produced.

????? A rare potion made from the humours of an especially strong female dragon. An egg bathed in this serum will always hatch into a female dragon.

????? A rare potion made from the humours of an especially strong male dragon. An egg bathed in this serum will always hatch into a male dragon.

I mean to suggest the idea of the items more than the actual descriptions I gave or (obviously, since most aren't there) the names I gave. Someone earlier mentioned using or exchanging treasure to get other items. I was wondering what kind of items you'd get. If they instead just randomly appeared in hoards, I'd think they'd be relatively rare.

Obviously some could be combined, such as the three fertility items (they could be one item that affected just the dragon you fed it to). Having separate items would make it more difficult to get just what you wanted though, I would assume.

Yeah, it's too long and I think there are some dupes. The egg drop is coming so I'll edit later. smile.gif Some of these were well received though when I first posted so I thought I should repost here.

Edited by Ararat

A couple of things:

1. "small" not "smile" wink.gif

2. Gold doesn't tarnish. Silver and some other metals do.

other than that, you've got some very interesting/neat ideas there. I like your concepts for the egg/hatchling speeding up and slowing down salves.

A couple of things:

1. "small" not "smile" wink.gif

2. Gold doesn't tarnish. Silver and some other metals do.

other than that, you've got some very interesting/neat ideas there. I like your concepts for the egg/hatchling speeding up and slowing down salves.

Gold alloys can tarnish though, so I really should have said whether it was covered in pure gold or an alloy. Truth be told, I don't really like the rune description much. Now that I read them again I don't think I like several of those and probably should have read them over before pasting them over. They're there now though I guess, so oh well.

Really though, smile? I will fix that one right away. tongue.gif

I like these ideas. But it should take some time, like you tell them to go out, and they come back a few hours later.

Another idea: If you tell them to go out on a roughly defined schedule, they will sometimes go out on their own if you don't tell them to.

Example:

Sunday: they search at 2:00

Tuesday: they search at 12:30

Thursday: They search at 2:30

Saturday: You forget to go on, but the dragon searches anyway at 1:00

This would only happen once or twice in a row.

I would really like this search function implimented. I always thought there should be more to do than get clicks.

Edit: Could someone link to this "hoarding" thread? I can't find it. sad.gif

Edited by lucas755

I don't agree that it should take time... I think that it should be an instant thing, like breeding, but should only happen once a week or so.

Wow. I'm on the exact opposite of the spectrum. I think it should take time and happen every [2] day.

*laughs* laugh.gif ah well. I guess I tend to be more impatient for short term things than long term waits. like, if breeding took time, I would be much more frustrated in waiting than in having to wait a week to breed my dragons again. It's the way my mind works. wink.gif

I think one fun thing the "search" could do is if female dragons go out and return with an abandoned hatchling. But the catch is it's only a hatchling of their species. IE. Purples come back with purple hatchlings, pinks come with pink and etc...but only FEMALE DRAGONS could do this. And it could be a surprise random thing that might happen maybe one out of ten times you'd send her out to search. Maybe the text can say "Oh, look, this abandoned hatchling followed (your female dragon's name) back from her search!" And it'd only be hatchlings, not eggs.

ETA: All female dragons(pink/purple) would obviously come back with girls all the time, but for the species that have either gender and look pretty much the same can come back with a hatchling of either gender. So if you get a first stage hatchling you still have to wait for it to get near maturity to find out whether it's a girl or a boy.

And I think adult Guardian dragons should have an option to protect eggs that are getting reloaded too much. Now the downside would be you can't do it too much or else the Guardian dragon will get sick instead of the hatchling, so you can't just set the option and forget(though the Guardian would take longer to get sick than a hatchling), but it might help if you just can't get an egg sitter... >>;

Edited by Noctis

I don't want it to take up time, nor do I fancy the idea of getting up in the morning to find half my dragons "out searching bbl" so I can't do a breeding cycle or whatever. This isn't Psypets, there's really no reason to have TJ write crons to run on every single dragon for a "randomly goes out searching" feature. I feel that it would be more of a hindrance because, while it makes the dragons seem more 'alive', it will also become VERY annoying and it also feels like cheating, by allowing dragons to raise their own hoard multiplier scores automatically. That should be something earned by keeping up a weekly search schedule. I'd rather it was a weekly instant gratification, much like breeding. Mostly because that requires the least coding and is therefore much easier to implement.

And no hatchlings from Search. If you were keeping three hatchlings and three eggs at a time to keep space for a rare and your dragon comes home with a hatchling, then there goes your spot. And what if you were at the limit? Then what would happen to the hatchling? It hardly feels fair to auto-abandon, because then your search just threw out a hatchling that you might have wanted to keep. Yet you'd be going over the limit if you kept it. As for Guardians getting sick, that makes no sense either since adults can't get sick and don't die unless manually killed. >.o