Lythiaren

New action: Search

Indeed, I do not like the two-option search. If you want a random egg from the AP, then you will go to the AP to get it.

Though, it may be an appropriate approach for the parents of a recently-forced hatchling to go search for the runaway if they Search within, say, an hour of the baby running off.

If it's only the parents that can search for the run away.... Then what about the caveborn eggs that are forced? Or if someone grabbed the egg from the AP & forced it? They won't have the parents of that egg on their scroll to go search for the run away. Unless you meant for that to work differently?

Hmmm.... it would have been interesting it the two option search could have resulted in your dragon bringing back zombie or neglected hatchlings...... xd.png oh well... tongue.gif

Good point on the caveborns. Perhaps the first dragon to search within that hour, rather than only the parents.

But only one dragon gets a chance to bring it back, then it goes to the AP. We only get one shot at resurrection, so we should only get one shot at getting a runaway back.

At least, without the assistance of friends.

Good point on the caveborns. Perhaps the first dragon to search within that hour, rather than only the parents.

But only one dragon gets a chance to bring it back, then it goes to the AP. We only get one shot at resurrection, so we should only get one shot at getting a runaway back.

At least, without the assistance of friends.

I thought a better idea would be to have a runaway hang in limbo for a while, appearing as a cloud of fog on your scroll that only you can see, and having only one action: Search for the hatchling, which would go away after an hour or so, and the hatchling would go to the AP. An adult wouldn't even be involved (well, not an ACTUAL adult.) You'd click "Search" and you'd get "You send an adult dragon out to find the hatchling," and either "It finds the hatchling and brings it back" or "It does not find the hatchling." In the case of the latter, the option would go away and the hatchling would go to the AP.

I really like this idea, except for the bringing people back part.

@Ararat:

Gem Encrusted Egg: This pretty prize is shaped like an egg. What do you suppose would happen if you placed it with your other eggs?

I had an idea for a dragon like this a while ago: a dragon hatching out of a jeweled egg which was covered in jewels and shiny things as an adult, as well. Maybe it could be a special kind of dragon that only could be found by searching? And it could only breed with other kinds of dragons to produce eggs of its mate's species? (Like Yulebucks)

Awesome idea Lyth!! full support from me <3

(Read up to page 6 then skipped the rest ^^; sorry if this was suggested already)

Since Kuraianubis posted all those lovely pictures, I'd like to suggest a little something to go along with it. ^^

You know how we have incubators? why not a hoard incubator? Like a picture of a generic cave, that you can add your dragon's items to? Then, have it uploaded to imageshack/photobucket like your incubators, that, when clicked on, takes you to the dragon/scroll. (Depending on the separate ideas of individual hoards or one big one)

To place the items on the cave background, it could be a drag and drop thing, or an automated thing like the generic incubators now. tongue.gif

If you had one big hoard, you could have it at the bottom of your scroll.

If they were all separate, each dragon's viewing page could have a hoard at the bottom of that page.

(I personally like the idea of separate ones, so I can work on one dragon ascending at a time ^^; )

If you like this idea, I'd be more than happy to draw up a "generic cave" background ^^ Let me know pretty please biggrin.gif

~Nakase

Qoute, because I didn't recieve a response sad.gif

I dunno about adding an incubator-like feature to the Search right off the bat. After all, if the Search isn't actually used all that often then there's no real need to show these things off...

Though if it turns out to be a popular feature in practice, then I don't see any really huge reason not to generate trophy images for dragons' hoards.

... Unless it will cause excessive server strain to generate one for every single dragon. But that could be alleviated by having them generated on demand with a minimum 1-hour cooldown.

Edited by Lythiaren

Sounds like a good idea to me. My dragons are named for an original RPG I mod, and though it is just fun to find the right dragon to suit the right character, and then try to get them their mate and make sure they're compatable... I still think it would be fun to have an option to let them go hunting as it were for shiny things.

Brilliant idea.

Edited by dk_labyrinth

I rather like the idea of adult dragons being able to adopt eggs or hatchlings from the wilderness, actually. Maybe it's because I'm an adoptive parent in real life.... When I write my descriptions about eggs from the AP, sometimes I include that they were "found" and raised by other dragons on my scroll.

If you could only either a) breed an adult or cool.gif send it out to search, it could be a way for people on slower connections or with physical limitations to occasionally get rare eggs without actually changing the "ease" of getting rares by much-- just changing the mechanism a bit.

And I like the idea of being able to generate an incubator image or an image of a particular dragon with its loot. biggrin.gif

Ok, I was thinking with the ascended feature, the search for potions could only be once a week, plus only be successful a certain number of times before the dragon feels the search is too dangerous to do again or something of the sort.

If a dragon can search each week, and gets one elixer, then it can ascend. Then it is only 1/2 as likely to have successful searches, and can only get one more elixer EVER, which can be used for one other dragon to ascend..

At least, those are my thoughts about the elixer used to have the dragons ascend. smile.gif

Don't really have any opinion about anything else the dragons might search for. Just an idea I was just having. smile.gif

Wait, why would their territory suddenly become too dangerous to search? The idea shouldn't be dependent on Ascension, otherwise it cuts off all the other potential that the search option has. Pretty lame if your dragon suddenly can't make its hoard bigger anymore just because it found two shiny bottles. o_O

If I wanted it to be dependent on Ascension, I would've never made this thread. >.>

Wait, why would their territory suddenly become too dangerous to search? The idea shouldn't be dependent on Ascension, otherwise it cuts off all the other potential that the search option has. Pretty lame if your dragon suddenly can't make its hoard bigger anymore just because it found two shiny bottles. o_O

If I wanted it to be dependent on Ascension, I would've never made this thread. >.>

Lyth I'm just a tad confused on what this means exactly, could you outline your idea a bit more for me, the first post confused me for some reason x.o

Sorry, brain not totally working within my nasty cold plus allergies, and I copied and pasted the wrong bit of what I typed for here.... xd.png I fail...

With the potions themselves, there shouldn't be more than two that a dragon can get, basically, so as a person can't hoard a ton of ascention potions for all their dragons and then have for all their future dragons as well.

Maybe each dragon can only find one potion for themselves???

I was also thinking of something that I had taken out, which made the whole thing not really make sense for this (which is how you had read it! unsure.gif oops, I KNEW I should have reread my post)... Basically, since we'll have the ascention possibility, what about choices of search general and search SPECIFICALLY for the potion? Make it much less likely to happen, but then at least you are getting what you are looking for if you are successful? Just a thought... And that's why they'd be too scared to search for the potions again later (the places the potions would be at are dangerous for the dragons to get to or have giants who kill and eat dragons, or in places that have a bunch of Knights who kill dragons... Something of that sort.)

Also, would it be possible if a dragon gets a potion that you are able to give it to a different dragon on your scroll? Or would it stay with that particular adult? I know with the healing and time potions for the eggs/hatchlings that those ones could be used that way, but what about things you use for adults? Just curious. smile.gif

Dunno how much sense I'm making. Head is utterly full right now even though I'm on meds. Bleh.

I beleive over in the ascension thread, before the wipe, the idea that only one asended per gender (where allowed) of each breed is allowed was being discuessed.

I thought that things like the Ascend Potion would be things that the dragon classifies as useless junk, and give to you, to use on any dragon on the scroll. I.e., a Mint brings you an Ascend Potion and it gets added to your "stock," then you use it on a Black a week later. While if it's something that has no in-game value, but that the dragon likes (a pile of gold, for instance), the dragon would keep it.

I still really love the idea of a Search function.

Has anyone thought up/drawn up any new ideas for it?

So much to go through so I'm hoping I'm not repeating anything.

I do like the search function. I like to think that maybe each dragon can search once every week instead of breeding if the user chooses.

So people with lots of dragons have a better chance of finding stuff than people with only a few dragons but only if they choose to not breed those dragons.

So lots of fun and less overflow eggs problems?

I know I'd rather use my commons to search for gem incrusted eggs (and other cool ideas) that grow into non-breedable adults than to just breed all my commons together and keep no dragons from the breedings =)

Maybe call it "Quest" in stead of search. Sounds more epic, and avoids confusion, people thinking it is a search function on the site, or something like that.

Other than that, I like the idea!

No. Not quests. That's incredibly misleading. Questing implies that you actually do stuff, and that means everyone will be disappointed.

You're sending your dragon to look for stuff. Any stuff. Random stuff. You don't care what kind of stuff. That's not a quest. If it is to have a name change, "Expand hoard" is better, but it is more verbose. "Search" is short and sweet. Even "forage" or "survey" or "gather" would be better words. I will not stand for calling it a quest.

@sureq: I've said before that I never intended this feature to affect breeding. I still stand by this. It makes no sense for a dragon to lose its mojo by looking around their land for shiny objects, and unless their partner is really good, it similarly makes no sense for breeding to make them suddenly go blind and unable to see shiny objects. AP clogging is a player-generated problem, and shoehorning AP crowd control into a feature that's not supposed to be even remotely related to breeding cooldown makes all breeders feel alienated. It makes the game significantly less fun.

We shouldn't be trying to carve every new thing into something that practically screams "YOU SHOULD STOP BREEDING YOU ARE A HORRIBLE PERSON FOR CLOGGING THE AP". Because that statement is wrong, there is no rule against it, and it makes people angry. AP clogging is a player-generated problem, therefore it needs a player-generated solution. Not crying to TJ to create rule conflicts in the system itself.

Edited by Lythiaren

I hadn't really thought it would alienate breeders, as even if I don't do it on a mass scale I still do breed. I don't see how it would make things less fun to be honest but w/e.

Just thought it would be a good idea to be something else to do, as players would still be able to choose to breed if they wanted.

But I'll be quiet on that no problems. =)

It is something else to do. But having something else you can do should be an OR (one or both), not an XOR (one and only one). Otherwise the game is just as boring as before.

Edited by Lythiaren

Maybe call it "Quest" in stead of search. Sounds more epic, and avoids confusion, people thinking it is a search function on the site, or something like that.

Other than that, I like the idea!

I agree with not calling it "search" far too confusing.

Though I guess my opinion doesn't count because I don't need something else to make/keep DC fun. laugh.gif