Derision

New prize raffle

Since we've had our classic and beloved tinsels and shimmers for some time, what about an additional, separate raffle with another prize pool? Different requirements, new prizes, same odds, and you can opt into both raffles. What's the downside of two new gorgeous prize models with similar variants to other prizes? Could be expanded on more, maybe, and not have to be a gold/silver/bronze variants but something else more unique, such as different appendages/wings/or colors besides the typical prizes. Thoughts?

It's already incredibly annoying trying to win a prize - any prize - as it is with the two breeds we have in the current raffle system. I'd really rather not add onto that frustration with a whole other raffle with shiny new things without drastic changes to the current system or alternative methods of attainment. 

Not to mention the nightmare of trying to trade for one or being one of the lucky few first winners. People would lose their minds. A raffle system is not a healthy release method on a site like this, in my opinion. 

Edited by schenanigans

I wouldn't mind a new raffle, but I wouldn't want new prizes.

It would be kind of neat to have, say, a pool of CB eggs that are uncommon to rare and a certain number of winners can pick from depending on which tier they win.  Maybe the possible choices could vary each month?

It could have more winners than the regular raffle, maybe.

Or maybe the chance to win something like a CB hybrid or alt that's usually breed-only.

Different prizes, different requirements, but not brand new dragons--especially since getting ANY prize dragon would be super hard for quite a while until breeding pools of their descendents built up

I've said this for years and I still stand by it now that I'm a prize owner - prize dragons were arguably DCs worst dragons ever implemented, mechanically speaking. They're entirely luck based, over powered, and elitist by their very nature, and I hope nothing like them is ever introduced to DC again. I am not in favor of more prize breeds unless what it means to be a prize breed radically changes.

Edited by blockEdragon

I think this is a fun idea! I've really enjoyed having something properly rare and elusive where even bred eggs are valuable with the Staterae, I would love more properly rare breeds.  Perhaps different raffle requirements? I personally find it a bit underwhelming when I get a notification that I've qualified for the monthly raffle on the second day of the month without even knowing the requirements, haha. It would be a fun new thing to collect :)

On the one hand, I, like AnthillDragon, also really like it when there are breeds that are super-rare or even impossible to obtain in normal gameplay. I remember back when Neglecteds, Zombies, Hollies and Val 09's were so difficult to obtain even seeing them on someone else's scroll was exciting, and I look back on those days very fondly! It added a level of mystery to the game and made it more fun to go through other people's scrolls on the off chance you'd see something truly rare.

On the other hand, even as someone who got a prize dragon from the raffle early on, I must admit I always found the raffle a bit silly. Having to do minor chores in order to have a small chance to obtain a random variant of two random breeds barely even really constitutes 'gameplay', in my opinion. It's a weak incentive to do an often boring task. I have no strong feelings about it one way or another, but I find it to be clunky game design that I largely ignore myself. It killed all the hype I had for the first set of prize dragons that only a handful of people received (like with the Neglecteds, etc, I found it fun to go on people's scrolls and randomly find a CB prize! That was cool! I miss it!).

I'd love to see more super-rare breeds in the cave, but I would want them to either be 1. obtainable through normal gameplay, Staterae style, 2. be obtainable through new mechanics that are directly controlled by users (like puzzle solving or working together with other users), or 3. given to people for meta reasons, like the original set of prize dragons, or the current way spriter's alts work.

tl;dr, I wouldn't hate new having new prize dragons, but I think doubling down on a weak gameplay feature like this just wouldn't be great game design.

No thank you. There are players who still haven't won any prizes eleven (?) years on. I agree that releasing breeds through a raffle is unhealthy for the game as a whole. 

We have had new ways to get dragons in recent years from using BSAs to killing dragons or adventuring. I'm sure there are more to come. I just don't think competing against each other--even passively--is the way to go.

Agree with KageSora, I don't mind a new raffle for increase the quota of winners or win some breed-only dragons or an optional code, but please no new dragon(s) that only could get by raffle, it would become another nightmare and I'm sure most people would feel depressed than happiness if it happen. : /

2 hours ago, blockEdragon said:

I've said this for years and I still stand by it now that I'm a prize owner - prize dragons were arguably DCs worst dragons ever implemented, mechanically speaking. They're entirely luck based, over powered, and elitist by their very nature, and I hope nothing like them is ever introduced to DC again. I am not in favor of more prize breeds unless what it means to be a prize breed radically changes.

1 hour ago, Jazeki said:

No thank you. There are players who still haven't won any prizes eleven (?) years on. I agree that releasing breeds through a raffle is unhealthy for the game as a whole. 

We have had new ways to get dragons in recent years from using BSAs to killing dragons or adventuring. I'm sure there are more to come. I just don't think competing against each other--even passively--is the way to go.

1 hour ago, D-wing said:

Agree with KageSora, I don't mind a new raffle for increase the quota of winners or win some breed-only dragons or an optional code, but please no new dragon(s) that only could get by raffle, it would become another nightmare and I'm sure most people would feel depressed than happiness if it happen. : /

Quoting all the posts I TOTALLY agree with. NO way do we need more competitive, exclusive things that serve to breed anger and discontent. It's not too bad now, so please keep it as it is.

6 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

It's not too bad now, so please keep it as it is.

It has taken years for things to settle down since the Prizes were first introduced. Please let us not stir things up again with a new set of exclusive dragons!

As others have said, it is just a bad game mechanic and one that should not be repeated.

I wonder if there could be some other requirements (similar to the raffle ones now or even different) that could give an award. If not a new dragon, maybe more shards? Or some BSA. I think the requirement per month thing is really fun and could expand upon that 

No to new prizes, but a new raffle to win something like a Market Egg (which would probably always be a Stat...) could be fun.

I’ll also say no to new prize dragons, but I wouldn’t oppose a new raffle in general. Shards would be interesting, because right now we have a weekly cap and it would be exciting to have a chance at random bonus shards. How that would affect the economy is another question. 

I agree with not introducing a whole new exclusive breed - for selfish reasons as well as meta ones (I've never won a Prize and while it's not too difficult to get hold of 2Gs for my special hoards these days, it's still a pain in the butt not being able to breed and trade for those lines myself) - but I'd adore the chance to get caveborn hybrids back into circulation. I don't think it's very likely, but having broader access to cb hybrids/alts would make it way easier for me to use them in my Floral/Snow/Xocoatl lines because having different base dragons in an otherwise checker isn't something I like the look of very much. It's taken until this year for me to even plan hybrid lines, and I haven't actually started on any of them.

That said, given all evidence I'd guess that it's more likely we'd just get new prize breeds if TJ implemented a second raffle so... eh. Conditional support from me.

I would only like a new raffle prize if it could also be bought with shards so that even the non-prize winners would have a chance at one.

As a prize winner, I think it would be more fun to have a harder collection requirement with a guaranteed reward than easy requirements with a random chance. I'm fine with rewards that are already achievable in game as well.

New raffles for things like existing eggs, including possibly the current prize dragons and/or breed only eggs absolutely. Special codes would also be cool.

New prize dragons absolutely not. No. Never. No way. Bad idea. I was here through both prizes being introduced and it was awful. And its took years for the cave to mostly even out. Prizes still dominate the trading market far too much. And some people have still never won. A dragon you cant get after eleven years no matter how hard you work sucks. And we have six of them already. I, technically, have a prize though its my least favorite out of the six, winning doesn't even have the grace of being able to pick. Absolute NO SUPPORT for more prize dragons.

1 hour ago, Skadi said:

As a prize winner, I think it would be more fun to have a harder collection requirement with a guaranteed reward than easy requirements with a random chance. I'm fine with rewards that are already achievable in game as well.

This would be great actually. Eleven years and many have never won. Bleh.

6 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

New prize dragons absolutely not. No. Never. No way. Bad idea. I was here through both prizes being introduced and it was awful. And its took years for the cave to mostly even out. Prizes still dominate the trading market far too much. And some people have still never won. A dragon you cant get after eleven years no matter how hard you work sucks. And we have six of them already.

Agree 100%. I think - leave it as it is, please.

No, thank you. No new prizes.

I'm all for giving a Prize Dragon of choice to those without one if they reach certain scroll goals. Maybe when they hit Gold or Platinum.

No new Prizes without a major rework, yeah. I remember when getting a 5th gen Tinsel was considered an unreasonable demand for many, we don't need to return to that--and I'm saying this as someone who actually has a CB Shimmer now. 

I would be open to having a secondary raffle that opens up the pool to all available dragons including CB hybrids/bred-only alts, though. It's not like they can be traded, and their offspring historically haven't been in wildly high demand like new Prize offspring were.

I'm not actually inherently opposed to a new "prize dragon", but it would also need a whole new mechanic to go with it. The issue with the existing prizes has always been the distribution mechanism- a "prize" which was (for example) only available to buy using shards would rely on individuals playing the game enough rather than relying on sheer random chance.

I'd love a new prize with a new mechanism, but also agree that competing for them in a luck-game is frustrating. Maybe limiting how many of them total and how many cbs an individual can own would be a first step. 

Personally I'd love a new shiny!