missy_

Pyropellis Wyvern Breeding

This just in: bald x pyro xenowyrm = REIGNITED. The pyro xenowyrms are confirmed as ORANGE FLAME, not "no change." Spreadsheet has been updated.

Spoiler

reignited.png.41a824ecec3adebb1bf8684877c767f1.png

Edited to add: I've decided to unname all of my pyropellis dragons until we're done testing.

Edited by Fyrebird
Add note

Cloudplume confirmed 'no change'. My Pyro and Amarignis decided to refuse each other, so inconclusive results there 😑

image.png.fcb390051023945e6d36675d28be191f.png

@Myoukin Dohaerys has actually talked about Amarignis on the news thread:

Lastly amarignis flames don’t change pyropellis flame color, because myself and the other spriter of the amarignis both agreed that they are not flames in the conventional sense but rather magic manifesting itself to resemble flames.

I helped compile information about the Pyropellis variants for the wiki (thanks to the initative of many people on the news thread :wub:). The information over there should be accurate.

1 hour ago, 0x08 said:

@Myoukin Dohaerys has actually talked about Amarignis on the news thread:

I helped compile information about the Pyropellis variants for the wiki (thanks to the initative of many people on the news thread :wub:). The information over there should be accurate.

Ah, I guess I managed to glance over that information; I guess it's not surprising considering there's forty-four pages worth of discussion there. No one had it marked in the spreadsheet either, so I assumed it was still untested; thanks for the update.

Did a couple more breedings - no change to either Pyropellis:

Silver Tinsel x (Orange) Pyropellis = Pyropellis stayed Orange

https://dragcave.net/lineage/EqdeS

Storm (Gray) Dragon x (Blue) Pyropellis = Pyropellos stayed Blue

https://dragcave.net/lineage/J5lr1

Thought there was a small chance it might have turned bald due to the storm dragon holding a raining cloud and the rain putting out the flames [as on the Wiki Dohaerys mentioned they went 'by the sprite' for color changes]

I'd add the results to the spreadsheet, but mobile hates letting me edit

How is there no link to the spreadsheet in this thread yet? :blink:

I hope this works...

The only way to get a cyan male is with a red fire gem? Is that correct?

13 minutes ago, Lagie said:

The only way to get a cyan male is with a red fire gem? Is that correct?

The "female" next to Hellfire Wyvern and Hellhorse Dragon refers to the female colors of these breeds.

gxDV.png.114644c7884043a048b206da84e5f52e.pngt3Jk.png.4db8829134a891c319189ee7d490686e.png

A cyan female Pyropellis, however, is only obtainable with a Red Fire Gem.

Edited by 0x08
I can spell sometimes

4 hours ago, ShorahNagi said:

Did a couple more breedings - no change to either Pyropellis:

Silver Tinsel x (Orange) Pyropellis = Pyropellis stayed Orange

https://dragcave.net/lineage/EqdeS

Storm (Gray) Dragon x (Blue) Pyropellis = Pyropellos stayed Blue

https://dragcave.net/lineage/J5lr1

Thought there was a small chance it might have turned bald due to the storm dragon holding a raining cloud and the rain putting out the flames [as on the Wiki Dohaerys mentioned they went 'by the sprite' for color changes]

I'd add the results to the spreadsheet, but mobile hates letting me edit

Added storms, didn't add the tinsel as we've already tested them with orange pyropellis. We're specifically testing with non-orange pyropellis to see what breeds turn them back to orange.

2 hours ago, 0x08 said:

The "female" next to Hellfire Wyvern and Hellhorse Dragon refers to the female colors of these breeds.

gxDV.png.114644c7884043a048b206da84e5f52e.pngt3Jk.png.4db8829134a891c319189ee7d490686e.png

A cyan female Pyropellis, however, is only obtainable with a Red Fire Gem.

Thank you! Got my sexes mixed up.

A random question...

If you breed and the pyro changes colour because an egg was laid, does it stay changed if the egg dies?

4 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Thank you! Got my sexes mixed up.

A random question...

If you breed and the pyro changes colour because an egg was laid, does it stay changed if the egg dies?

Not sure, but I don't see why it would change back since the contact with the breeding partner is what causes the color change rather than an egg existing, plus the color changes even if an egg isn't made as long as the pair doesn't refuse each other.

Just now, Myoukin said:

plus the color changes even if an egg isn't made as long as the pair doesn't refuse each other.

Good point. Thanks!

44 minutes ago, LadyLoki said:

Question: I thought the wyverns were supposed to revert to their default orange flames after breeding with Blazebacks? :huh:
https://dragcave.net/lineage/65P2m

That's really interesting since their sprite clearly has orange flames and the creator stated sprites are a large decider in Pyro colors... maybe it's a bug? Or maybe we just made an incorrect asssumption.

1 hour ago, Myoukin said:

That's really interesting since their sprite clearly has orange flames and the creator stated sprites are a large decider in Pyro colors... maybe it's a bug? Or maybe we just made an incorrect asssumption.

Okay so it's not just me, like he still very clearly has purple flames despite having bred to the Blazeback more than an hour ago? If it's not a bug, I guess I'll be breeding him with a Pyro Xeno next week to try and reset him to default... :dry:

I tried as well to breed with a Blazeback and got no change of my Blue Pyropellis: see this egg. So I'm gonna move Blazebacks to Confirmed Unchanged in the spreadsheet for now, and then I guess it can be moved again if someone gets another result or if it's a bug that gets fixed.

Also got no change with Aeon and it's the same with Aeria Gloris and with Aether.

Edited by Caileh

Since the Pyropellis changes color as an adult I'm not sure how many of them to collect. Ordinarily I would want 4m and 4f CBs of each color, but since the colors can change that muddies the waters a bit. :unsure: Do I collect 8 of each color and then just be careful not to breed them with color-changers? Or do I just stick with a basic 8 and let the colors change however they will?

2 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Since the Pyropellis changes color as an adult I'm not sure how many of them to collect. Ordinarily I would want 4m and 4f CBs of each color, but since the colors can change that muddies the waters a bit. :unsure: Do I collect 8 of each color and then just be careful not to breed them with color-changers? Or do I just stick with a basic 8 and let the colors change however they will?

I'm doing the first thing. They're unique sprites that have the potential to be permanent, so I count each of them as a separate variant. Randomly changing the colour messes with lineages, so I think it's best to avoid that if possible.

5 minutes ago, Mnkn10 said:

I'm doing the first thing. They're unique sprites that have the potential to be permanent, so I count each of them as a separate variant. Randomly changing the colour messes with lineages, so I think it's best to avoid that if possible.

I am leaning that way. Usually breeding my dragons with different breeds doesn't affect other people's lineages if they have collected and used offspring of my dragons, but since it does with these I'm not likely to change their colors once they've produced an egg.

It just means I have to collect a whole shedload of these! XD

Edited by purplehaze

I wonder if we'll get a pyropellis equivalent to the Aegis breeding support group.

This has been an amazing discussion and collective effort by so very many. Altho I did not actively participate in the discussion, as I couldn't keep up without confusing things worse, I admire those folks who stayed in the trenches and kept the experiments going to the end.

Thanks to TJ, spriters, database keepers, any contributors, and all those breeders who made this event so incredible!

4 hours ago, Mnkn10 said:

I wonder if we'll get a pyropellis equivalent to the Aegis breeding support group.

That's probably a good idea actually. 

Since I don't breed a ton except for holidays and AP-dumps I'll most likely breed each to turn the color I want them to be and then not breed them again (or only to that same mate I guess). 

I haven't checked all the posts here, but going off the spreadsheet I decided to do a couple tests:

green-Pyro bred to Electric alt: No change, still green!

.... Bald-Pyro and red Cantor had no interest

44 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

.... Bald-Pyro and red Cantor had no interest

Did the Pyro stay bald? They don't have to produce an egg to change color, apparently.

As far as I've understood, any breeding outcome except for refusal will result in a color change if the mate is eligible.

Edited by 0x08

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

Did the Pyro stay bald? They don't have to produce an egg to change color, apparently.

Hmm, good to know. It stayed bald, which is why I assumed it didn't 'work'.