HeatherMarie

Forum Software Update question and comment

14 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

MissK. has 3,502 posts, but no level showing.

Looks like the level has been replaced by her personalized member status. Mine looks the same, member status, no level.

The font is smaller for me and difficult for me to read.

I don’t know whether the forum software update included a fix for the signature height issue, or if that is something that has to be hand-coded by TJ.  At any rate, for the record, the signature cut-off issue hasn’t been fixed by the update ... meaning, restored to this forum’s signature height that many used for so long.  Many people still have their original height signatures (like mine) which are cut off at bottom or top. Was hoping to see a fix introduced here, but maybe this has to be hand coated or maybe this issue wasn’t addressed by the software update.

Edited by missy_

18 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

First, the font on the forum is very obviously different now. I can't see anywhere to change that. Is there anywhere a user can change that? I'm immediately noticing the letters are slimmer and smaller in general, and harder to read (at least for me). 

41 minutes ago, missy_ said:

The font is smaller for me and difficult for me to read.

Omg this, can we PLEASE get a fix/option to change the text? It's literally giving me a headache it's so hard to read.  >.<

Signed on here just to ask this. Opened up forums on my PC and thought I was going blind because I couldn't see anything. Everything is so tiny x.x

Guess I'm just going to have to zoom some more.  I've already had it zoomed in on default for this site and it got even smaller with this update. 

33 minutes ago, Mochi said:

Signed on here just to ask this. Opened up forums on my PC and thought I was going blind because I couldn't see anything. Everything is so tiny x.x

Guess I'm just going to have to zoom some more.  I've already had it zoomed in on default for this site and it got even smaller with this update. 

Is there a way to specify zooming for one site but not others? I use Chrome, I've temporarily increased font size in my settings just to be able to use the forum (and honestly even now it's significantly harder on the eyes than it used to be) but I can't figure out a way to change those type of settings for one site while keeping other sites the same. It's kinda jarring to tab over to other sites and see huge text.

Actually now that you mention it - when I zoom in for one site it doesn't actually carry over to others....

Search seems to be broken; whatever I search for gives no results (maybe there are none) but it also says:

image.png.8797f1e8a8250a2a5d693c5fa9eb2850.png

Here to report another problem. I'm not getting notifications for new posts in topics that I follow. I have double checked and my settings seem correct.

Edited by 0x08

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Search seems to be broken; whatever I search for gives no results (maybe there are none) but it also says:

image.png.8797f1e8a8250a2a5d693c5fa9eb2850.png

At least in my case, the search gives me results normally, but I do still get this message for some reason. Maybe search something simple to see if it works in general for you.

If there is any way for TJ to increase the size of the font, I hope he will do it. I have had to zoom to 120% in order to read it now.

It seems that the software update has some post-update tasks that may be limiting features... Right now if I look at my activity, it only shows a handful of recent posts. I'm guessing that's related to the search index processing that's going on. I wonder if activity and notifications are similarly being limited until the post-update tasks complete. 🤔

2 hours ago, 0x08 said:

Here to report another problem. I'm not getting notifications for new posts in topics that I follow. I have double checked and my settings seem correct.

this is happening for me... but only for ONE topic (Tiny Little Questions) 🤔

@trystan I just saw the notification for you quoting me... I suppose quotes still notify me.

A sidenote: I added links to download Stylus in this older post of mine for people who can't stand the new font and want to change it.

Edited by 0x08

10 minutes ago, 0x08 said:

@trystan I just saw the notification for you quoting me... I suppose quotes still notify me.

well that's interesting.

(as an aside, i think i'm the only person so far that doesn't mind the new font.....)

3 minutes ago, trystan said:

well that's interesting.

(as an aside, i think i'm the only person so far that doesn't mind the new font.....)

Not the only person. I'm having no problem, rather like it. I do think I have fewer notifications though.

afaik, i'm only "missing" that one thread for notifications. hmm.....

edit - nope, not getting notifs for the Community Notice Board either.....and i only know that because i didn't remember seeing it in my email, and it wasn't current on my notifs page, but there were replies on it when i actually went to the thread.

Edited by trystan

Just to give a general update, at least from what I'm experiencing: I no longer see a broken-image next to 'level' on people's posts, however I do still see a broken-image next to 'level' on people's profiles. Still seems that topics (only new ones since update?) aren't gaining views (this topic still shows 0 views...).  I'm not seeing 'badges' anywhere, though I count that as a good thing. I'm also getting the 'search index' notice when searching, although the search does seem to go through fine. 

(I've never tried Stylus before but I guess that's a tolerable work-around if the font can't be changed back...)

I apparently did not get a lot of notifications from yesterday. I wasn't online much, so didn't really notice it.

But now I just got a notification for something that Lagie posted 18 hours ago! :wacko:

....and i just got notifs from those two threads i mentioned up there! ☝️

....and the forum software update from yesterday XD

Edited by trystan

13 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Is there a way to specify zooming for one site but not others? I use Chrome, I've temporarily increased font size in my settings just to be able to use the forum (and honestly even now it's significantly harder on the eyes than it used to be) but I can't figure out a way to change those type of settings for one site while keeping other sites the same. It's kinda jarring to tab over to other sites and see huge text.

I'm on chrome and it zooms per site. It shouldn't be doing it across websites o.o

Honestly not the best solution because it's mostly just the text itself that is small so when you zoom too much you get normal-looking sized text with giant profile pics & my screen will only fit two posts at a time and those are only short posts.
Hoping that this gets fixed properly.
I guess I'll just post in bigger sizes from now on.

I too am seeing a broken image on people's profiles. Notifs seem to work for me but I don't normally get that many in general so it's hard for me to tell.

2 hours ago, Mochi said:

I too am seeing a broken image on people's profiles

the only time i saw a broken image (or anything not text) was at the bottom of one of the menu windows when i checked my own profile on my phone. i have a samsung galaxy S10e with chrome.

@trystan  Do you not see a broken image next to 'rank' when viewing people's profiles? This is what I see when I go to your profile:

image.png.48480cb687feebfe576d2cf29833afb7.png

I've cleared cache/cookies multiple times since the update, so I don't think it's that. I'm getting more and more curious why users are experiencing bugs differently (or not at all).

Edited by HeatherMarie

@HeatherMarie

*edited because i posted incorrect screenshots* :lol:

so.... here's my login/notification menu on my phone (Galaxy S10e with Chrome).  all the way at the bottom is where i first saw the broken image

Spoiler

WdjJgVz.jpg

edit: yep, i can read.  i went to your profile and mine.... and yep, NOW i see the broken images there.  interesting.....

edit2: i right-clicked on the URL for the broken image to open it in another tab, and got this unsurprising message:

"The file you were looking for could not be found"

Edited by trystan

I'm still invisible.

Screenshot_20210812-192111.thumb.png.1207974339fcabd7aebe27502683f02d.png

How long do I need to sit in a thread to appear? This screenshot is from after a post I'd just made. 

I do show up in the overall users list so I know I'm not logged in as anonymous.

I'm not sure what the requirements for "recently browsing" are. I know it used to show lurkers, even if they didn't post. I don't know if it does now or not.

So far, I am not showing up in this thread, even though I have clicked in and out of it several times in the last few minutes.