HeatherMarie

Forum Software Update question and comment

First, the font on the forum is very obviously different now. I can't see anywhere to change that. Is there anywhere a user can change that? I'm immediately noticing the letters are slimmer and smaller in general, and harder to read (at least for me). 

Second, a comment: TJ's post says most new stuff should be off by default, but I'm seeing a lot of new stuff turned on in my settings. Most concerning is the fact that 'Achievements' notifications seem to be *on* by default (my notification settings showed the 'notifications list' as checked, though I've already turned that off). "Follow' notification also seems to be on by default (though I can't positively say that's new?). 

Also new seems to be the 'content view behavior', which was defaulted to 'take me to the beginning' when opening content (already changed that too). 

edit: Just noticed that the 'level' image under user's names/avatars seems to be broken:

image.png.0a02c8f681640907d598a1198dcb61c1.png

Edited by HeatherMarie

3 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I'm immediately noticing the letters are slimmer and smaller in general, and harder to read (at least for me). 

i noticed this too, its a little upsetting :( 

the image next to what "level" you are on the forums seems to be broken as well, i wonder what the issue is here? 

image.png.449f786e0e2a5e2ba521dccf4c90b0d4.png

I don't see any new options in the settings to have been changed? And I immediately went hopefully hunting for a dark theme lol

I HATE the new rank level badges....

Level 10

But - i am finding I can't right click and open links in a new tab. If that's a part of the update, can it please be undone. It really is a pain.

ETA Actually - I can't even copy a link from the front page of a subforum and paste it, as a short cut.

This is totally going to put me off using the forum - I like to have a dozen or so tabs open...

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I agree that the font has become slimmer, smaller, and more difficult to read. I believe this happened last time there was a forum update, too, and it was fairly quickly fixed once pointed out.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

But - i am finding I can't right click and open links in a new tab. If that's a part of the update, can it please be undone. It really is a pain.

ETA Actually - I can't even copy a link from the front page of a subforum and paste it, as a short cut.

This is totally going to put me off using the forum - I like to have a dozen or so tabs open...

I tried right clicking on some forum links and opening them in new tabs (because I, too, do that all the time and would be very annoyed if I couldn't) and it still works for me. I wonder if this is only a problem for some users and not others? Or is being caused by your web browser not meshing with the forum update?

I can't tell the difference with the font, but I think it's only due to my bad memory ! 😅

The "level" image under avatars is broken for me too.

And I too can right click to open in new tabs, no problem for me ! (I use Chrome, for info !)

Edited by calona

14 minutes ago, Silverwatermist said:

I tried right clicking on some forum links and opening them in new tabs (because I, too, do that all the time and would be very annoyed if I couldn't) and it still works for me. I wonder if this is only a problem for some users and not others? Or is being caused by your web browser not meshing with the forum update?

You may have a point, which is annoying. It's Opera..... I will go and dig.

Yeah; damn. But it is ONLY happening on DC forums. Not on my other invision forum, either. @TJ09 - ANY suggestions welcome....

Edited by Fuzzbucket

The rank icons are so pointless, they don't even change their appearance with each rank. Is there even a way to toggle their visibility, at least member-side?

You can block them with an adblocker.

What it seems to be is that - ONLY in DC forums - I can only open a link in the same page, and I can't even click one from an email; I have to come in via the main forum link to start and then click on a link in here which will only open in the same page. I may go off to the help forums for Opera...

And to add to the weirdness - it DOES work in private windows !

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I use Firefox on macOS and Safari on iOS.

The font change is especially noticeable. The default typeface is now PT Sans as opposed to Helvetica Neue / Arial, which I personally preferred.

My notification and content behavior settings were not affected as far as I could tell.

Rank icons are not showing up at all. Instead I see the alt text (Level 10, Level 3, etc) for the images. Manually opening the image in another tab/window results in a simple webpage:

<html>
	<title>404 Not Found</title>
	<body>
		The file you were looking for could not be found
	</body>
</html>

Also, I'm noticing another thing. Topics are not gaining views. This topic and TJ's topic, both new, are sitting at zero views so it's easier to notice with them. I can't be sure that older topics are affected.

New topics are gaining views as normal.

Edited by 0x08

I'm hesitant to mention this because I *don't* want to see these 'achievement' badges everywhere, but so far I'm not seeing them anywhere (except the one fuzz posted above).  Not sure where they are supposed to show up though, so maybe I'm just missing them. .....  Oh, are they next to the 'level' indicator, the image that seems to be broken? 

Topics not gaining views is a really strange bug, I don't think I've ever seen that anywhere before. 

Please, please tell me there's a way to change the font. (Is there possibly a way to do so browser-side, in case there's no forum-side fix?)  Like, I just came on the forums to check this thread, and just reading through this thread it's straining my eyes. Really hating this.

I can't see who posted last in topics and on forums I can't see what topic was was last posted in.

The badges are a broken graphic for me.

21 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Please, please tell me there's a way to change the font. (Is there possibly a way to do so browser-side, in case there's no forum-side fix?)  Like, I just came on the forums to check this thread, and just reading through this thread it's straining my eyes. Really hating this.

I have a patch-fix for you (and anyone else who may need it for now), I put it together very quickly.

If you have Stylus or a similar desktop browser extension that lets you apply userstyles to webpages, open your style manager and import this script:

Spoiler
@-moz-document domain("forums.dragcave.net") {
body {
  font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Helvetica', 'Arial';
}
}

You can get Stylus here (Chrome, Opera) and here (Firefox).

Edited by 0x08

33 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I swear that this has actually happened to us before (like not even "us" as in, forum users, but "us" as in both you and I rushing to post that the font was straining our eyes) during a different forum update, and once TJ saw it, he was able to fix it. I don't think this will be permanent!

9 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Level 10

Where do you see that image? I don't see any badges on posts.

9 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I'm not able to reproduce this whatsoever. I can ctrl+click, right click -> open in new tab, etc on forums, the home page, subforums, topics, individual posts...

54 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

I can't see who posted last in topics and on forums I can't see what topic was was last posted in.

Can you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing? It appears to be behaving as expected

image.png

image.png

12 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Second, a comment: TJ's post says most new stuff should be off by default, but I'm seeing a lot of new stuff turned on in my settings. Most concerning is the fact that 'Achievements' notifications seem to be *on* by default (my notification settings showed the 'notifications list' as checked, though I've already turned that off). "Follow' notification also seems to be on by default (though I can't positively say that's new?). 

Achievements are off insofar as there are no achievements to notify you of.

44 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

I'm not able to reproduce this whatsoever. I can ctrl+click, right click -> open in new tab, etc on forums, the home page, subforums, topics, individual posts...

Can you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing? It appears to be behaving as expected

image.png

image.png

The badge WAS  under rank and number of posts for everyone , but seems to be gone now- i was definitely awful!

Edited by dragonpuck

8 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

You can block them with an adblocker.

That's true, I forgot about that feature, since I mostly use adblocker to auto-block ads and move on with my life. LOL!

However looks like I don't need to anymore, as they seem to be gone now. Thankfully!

1 hour ago, TJ09 said:

Spoiler

20210811_143725.jpg

Spoiler

20210811_143819.jpg

Spoiler

20210811_143659.jpg

The broken pic emoji that was next to Level is gone now. But only my own rank is showing.

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise

13 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Level 10

3 hours ago, TJ09 said:

2 hours ago, dragonpuck said:

The badge WAS  under rank and number of posts for everyone , but seems to be gone now- i was definitely awful!

It was under our avatars. IT is gone now, praise be. (So is our level - but I can live without that)

ETA WAIT - it still shows in my profile the nasty thing:

image.png.fd8277dfd65fdaab98e464bff84d8c47.png

3 hours ago, TJ09 said:

Yes - using the Opera forums I have found that it was caused by one of my pop-up blockers. Annoying to have to disable it; I'll keep a watch for a few days. It's odd that it ONLY affects the DC forum :( Not even the other invision one I'm on.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

3 hours ago, TJ09 said:

image.png

image.png

I'm relieved to hear that achievements are 'off', but they do seem to be showing for some people...

24 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

ETA WAIT - it still shows in my profile the nasty thing:

image.png.fd8277dfd65fdaab98e464bff84d8c47.png

This is interesting, I'm still seeing a broken image where that badge should be (just checked your profile). Checking my own profile I'm also seeing a broken image there.  

It seems to me like there are some bugs with display for some users but not all. For instance, I can't see that badge Fuzz posted on their profile, it's a broken image for me. But I *do* see the last-posted names and such that @Long_Before_Sunrise isn't seeing. 

image.thumb.png.cd6be1fc41968a99dd5da121e6f7b60f.png

3 hours ago, TJ09 said:

I'm seeing it when I click the notifications lines at the top right:

Screenshot_20210811-180524.thumb.png.c6c110a8ae09eb4f16b6f65921fd561f.png

It dwarfs the text and looks quite ridiculous. It's not like I'm ever going to go past level 10.

I also seem to be a ghost now. The forum keeps telling me there are no registered users in the threads where I'm posting (and no, I don't hide myself when I log in).

10 minutes ago, Lagie said:

I also seem to be a ghost now. The forum keeps telling me there are no registered users in the threads where I'm posting (and no, I don't hide myself when I log in).

Same here.

8 hours ago, 0x08 said:

Topics are not gaining views. This topic and TJ's topic, both new, are sitting at zero views so it's easier to notice with them. I can't be sure that older topics are affected.

This persists.

14 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Level 10

It's named 'default_rank.png', which suggests to me that TJ could change it to something more fitting to DC, like a scroll or egg, and I think that could potentially be nice. I also think the same about the default avatars for new users: they could be a silhouette of a dragon or a wizard instead.

However, I can't actually see those badges anywhere. (PC, Firefox, adblock present)

32 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

It seems to me like there are some bugs with display for some users but not all. For instance, I can't see that badge Fuzz posted on their profile, it's a broken image for me. But I *do* see the last-posted names and such that @Long_Before_Sunrise isn't seeing. 

I'm experiencing the same as you. It's very strange that this is different among users...for me the rank image is broken whether I check on my computer or mobile.

This is what the levels look like on my end now.

MissK. has 3,502 posts, but no level showing.

Spoiler

20210811_175232.jpg

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise