HeatherMarie

Forum Software Update question and comment

New topics are gaining views now. (See this topic and TJ's topic about the update.)

The horrid spaceship image is still showing in profiles. Can we not have our level back ?

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

The horrid spaceship image is still showing in profiles. Can we not have our level back ?

And I am not seeing that. :unsure:

You are SO lucky. Try another browser out of curiosity ?

image.png.d0a6b93d19fa4987175b15c24a07f97e.png

44 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

You are SO lucky. Try another browser out of curiosity ?

Chrome still gives me the broken image where (I think) the badge thing should be. Firefox doesn't show a broken image but doesn't show any badges either. Internet Explorer (omg haven't opened that in forever) is also showing a broken image. I haven't seen a rank-badge anywhere except the screenshots posted in this thread.  Try clearing cookies/cache and see if you still see it?

I have. I COULD block it - but then if TJ fixes what should be there, I'm not sure what would happen !

waterfox is the best - it just says Level 10 by your name ! All the others have the broken image, except my usual - Opera. I LIKE Opera. Oh well.

Nothing has changed for me.

Main forum page: Can see who posted last, but not what topics.

Subforms: Can't see who posted last.

Levels: Can see the level of lower level players, but not high level.

Microsoft Edge. Broken image in the profiles next to levels but hardly the most urgent thing. 

My notifications are working again from what I can tell.

Some people mentioned they can't see the levels under the avatar on the forum, but I can. Is it a mobile/desktop thing?

1 hour ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

Nothing has changed for me.

Main forum page: Can see who posted last, but not what topics.

Subforms: Can't see who posted last.

Levels: Can see the level of lower level players, but not high level.

Goodness - i never noticed that; you're right. You are level 8; FortyTwo is level 10 - and I - have no level; nor does HeatherMarie. in our profiles; hovering over the bomb thing we show as 11/11.....

Pretty sure that for level 10 it only displays the custom rank text for those who have written something there, and if nothing is written it says level 10 like for lower levels. I thought it was this way previously too though...

Edit: speaking of, I actually can't find how to edit that anymore. Thought it would be under profile settings but either I'm blind or it's not there.

Edited by MissK.

The file loading bar no longer fills up. It stays empty while the file is uploaded.

And this uploaded duplicated itself. (I deleted the extra)

Spoiler

20210813_172818.jpg

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise

14 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Click on account settings and you will see "Display Name" at the top of the center section of that page, with the option to change.

that's only for the Display Name; i too don't see the option for Custom Level, or whatever my "Queen of Typoes" is listed as

edit: it used to be in the Edit Profile section, but i don't see it in there either 🤔

Edited by trystan

16 minutes ago, trystan said:

that's only for the Display Name; i too don't see the option for Custom Level, or whatever my "Queen of Typoes" is listed as

edit: it used to be in the Edit Profile section, but i don't see it in there either 🤔

Oops! Thanks for the correction. You are right. It should be called "custom member title" or something like that, if I recall.

And I can't find it, either.

Sorry for the wrong info. I have hidden that post.

1 minute ago, purplehaze said:

And I can't find it, either.

the Forum Monster ate it?

I believe this is our new font: PT Sans Pro Light

It is a lovely font.  I only wish the default size was larger.  :)

TJ likely chose this especially for us.  It is a font that is designed for readability:  

C81E19E9-90F9-4078-85FD-888CC83E221C.thumb.jpeg.73e473384a3b3574d0cc7e4aac07cf1e.jpeg

It is a highly legible font. I like the unique kerning.   Just wish it were larger for these old eyes. ;)

I still seem to be invisible to myself on the site and the Privacy setting does not appear on my account page. I logged out and logged back in and it still doesn't change.

1 hour ago, missy_ said:

TJ likely chose this especially for us.  It is a font that is designed for readability:  

If it's designed for readability it completely fails. I have no clue what it means creation-side to be 'designed for readability' (ie, what features go into making the font 'readable') but this is definitely not better than the font we used to have in terms of ease of reading and easy-on-eyes.  It's not just that the font *size* is smaller, the letters themselves look slimmer, so even when zooming the page it's still harder on the eyes than before.   

Out of curiosity I copy/pasted some text from here and compared it to a forum-screenshot from earlier this year, when I zoom in far enough I see that the 'slimmer' effect seems to be caused by the actual color of pixels making up the letters being different and lighter (compare this, old on top new on bottom:)

9507a7d49ba85a89298bd3c5c9a90c98.png

(Just to reiterate, the size of the font needs to be increased.)

For me personally, the bottom one is more readable.  Look at how much more pure white space is between and within each letter in the bottom sample versus the top.  

The readability might not be an issue if the font were larger.

Testing a larger font sample here. 16 point

Testing a larger font sample here. 18 point

What appears to be the use of more grey tones is likely because this font is the “light” version.  I checked out the regular version and it looks like it may possibly have been too heavy for the forum.  

PT Sans Pro Light, bolded on forum — test

Testing bold font, larger size. 20 point

PT Sans Pro Light, italicized on forum

Testing italic font, larger size. 20 point

ETA: I’m not saying I prefer the new font to the old font.  I’m just looking at the new font and evaluating how I can work with it.  

Edited by missy_

Can confirm seeing a broken image next to the Level area in profiles:

image.thumb.png.827e2fac331b93977553d491bf527bdc.png

Edit:

You also see it when you hover over a person's profile picture:

image.thumb.png.de8588a39acd99f234cec37f2ec85d9f.png

Edited by Shokomon

I guess I shall be altering my posts to increase the font size.

Original is not easily readable, even at 120% zoom, which is my current setting.

Larger type size does help and also appears darker, but it is a pain to have to alter each post.

If we must have this new font, surely TJ can alter the default size?

Am I the only person who has no issues with the new font ?

BUT - in my browser I can set what fonts I would prefer and their size - does that not work for anyone else. ?

There's more but you get the idea ? You could reset the minimum size....

image.thumb.png.300288165abbecff70af5779fb73799f.png

Edited by Fuzzbucket

11 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Am I the only person who has no issues with the new font ?

i'm good with the new font as well, actually, it's not just you :) 

@Fuzzbucket  That's exactly what I did, but that affects *all* sites. Which makes many sites look strange and unwieldy. I have no issues with readability on other sites, which means changing *all* site's font settings just to use this one forum seems unnecessary/frustrating/unneeded. 

That said, if we get confirmation the font is going to stay this way, I'll figure out how to use one of those browser add-ons so I can change the font on this site specifically. It would be nice to get that confirmation, though, before I mess with all of that.  (Actually, it would be nice to get official word on *any* of the issues that still persist with this new software update...)

Fuzz, in Safari for iOS there is no option to choose the font.

But! There is the feature to zoom per website, which appears to be enabled by default.

I have dragcave.net set to 125%, for example.  I have the forum currently set to 100%.  

What I have been discovering while reading the forum today is that even though initially I thought the font was too small, I am finding it surprisingly easy to read.  

I don’t know if all the forum posts I have read have been in the default font size, but it looks pretty good right now to me.

Caveat:  I am on an iPad at the moment, so I would have the option to pinch and zoom if I needed to. But right now I’m just trying it out at 100% to see how it feels.