Moonlight_Eevee

Search Bar While Breeding

Basically what the title says: Add a search bar while you're breeding as it's tedious to scroll (doubly so on mobile) trying to find the mate you're looking for on the first go and there's always a chance the page isn't loaded up enough and it breeds it to the wrong mate. Or you simply misclick. 

Basically, make it easier to find CBs by saying #CB (insert Dragon Species here) via search bar

Edited by Dalek

This has been brought up so, so, so many times. Personally I'd rather have a *filter* than a search bar (especially if it was something that could be done without fully loading the breeding list first, for those of us with tons of dragons and sometimes-crappy internet). 

Personally, I'm at the point where I don't care what we get to limit results, I'd just rather have something. I've miss-clicked wrong mates so many times on mobile because my phone is slow to load or whatever the issue is. So, support for this.

I agree that something needs to change. When one has over 12,000 dragons it is ridiculous to have to load every possible mate every time you go to breed a dragon.

I have fairly fast internet and never play on mobile, so I probably have the best possible situation, but sometimes have problems with the list not fully loading and then "jumping" just as you make your selection, resulting in breeding to the wrong mate.

I would like if breeding could have the same filterable list that groups and fertility uses, particularly for the tag search filter. Would make pairing off cave borns easier if i could use the #cb filter on the breeding page.

I'm SO glad someone made this post. it's so hard trying to find the right mate for my dragons that i hardly ever breed anymore 😕

i would also really appreciate a filter! the ability to filter out CB dragons from purebreds/messy lines/ etc would be super convenient.

1 hour ago, Stromboli said:

I would like if breeding could have the same filterable list that groups and fertility uses, particularly for the tag search filter. Would make pairing off cave borns easier if i could use the #cb filter on the breeding page.

This is why I'd much rather have a filter than a simple search box. Unless you already know exactly what dragon you want to breed to, a simple search isn't going to do much. But I would *love* to be able to filter the breeding page to, for example, show all my 2gs when breeding a never-before-bred 2g. 

I would love a search bar for this!

And also maybe even a way to remove mates from the top of a dragon's breeding list. It would be very helpful in clearing away misbreeds or mates that have already been used with CBs that you don't plan to use again.

I run with ctrl+F and put the name in, myself....

2 hours ago, Stromboli said:

This. I was massbreeding my Equinoxes and as someone who never massbreeds, it was hard trying to determine what was CB and what wasn't on the breeding page. 

it'd be nice if i could pick out what black dragons were cb like this! or other similar projects, for that matter. ever since it was added to fertility, i thought it was kinda ridiculous to have to load thousands of dragons to breed them

3 hours ago, Jazeki said:

Personally, I'm at the point where I don't care what we get to limit results, I'd just rather have something. I've miss-clicked wrong mates so many times on mobile because my phone is slow to load or whatever the issue is. So, support for this.

Same here, with 7000+ dragons on mobile. That means I wait for 3200-3400 dragons to load and hope that there is no lag by the time I find the mate I intend for new pairs. Thank TJ that past pairings are already at the top.

Total support.

Yeah, the fact that we can sort or search or whatever we want between groups and fertility and scroll filters but we can't do any of that for breeding is painful. Please, any way to narrow down the breeding page would be welcome in my eyes.

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

This is why I'd much rather have a filter than a simple search box. Unless you already know exactly what dragon you want to breed to, a simple search isn't going to do much. But I would *love* to be able to filter the breeding page to, for example, show all my 2gs when breeding a never-before-bred 2g. 

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Which is why I think a simple search bar is not all that helpful. I use ctrl+F myself when I know the name of the mate I want, but that isn't always the case.

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

There is no ctrl+F on my phone. :(

ON my TABLET I can do "Find in page...." from the little thingy top right...

4 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

ON my TABLET I can do "Find in page...." from the little thingy top right...

And this is why I love you! Learn something new every day! :)

i think when they say "search bar" they really do mean the filtering system anyway, since it is technically and strictly speaking, a search bar

1 hour ago, dragongrrl said:

And this is why I love you! Learn something new every day! :)

Oh my. *blushes*

1 hour ago, Tehpikachu said:

i think when they say "search bar" they really do mean the filtering system anyway, since it is technically and strictly speaking, a search bar

Not necessarily. I think most people would see those two things differently: A search bar is a free-form text field that will bring up results when you type in something (for example, the url-bar on most browsers, or the 'find on page' feature on most browsers). Search bars usually require you to type in specific things (for example, a specific name if you use the 'find' feature) and gives specific results often based on the page you are on. *Filters*, on the other hand, are more broad and generally give you back a list of dragons that fit that filter, not just one specific result. The 'filter by' on our scroll page is a perfect example.  I would assume a 'search bar' on the breeding page would act more like the browser's 'find' feature, ie *searching* for something specific on the page, instead of filtering to a list with certain criteria.

The OP may have been using the terms interchangeably, but when it comes to a specific feature there is definitely a difference.

Edited by HeatherMarie

Support. Some sort of filter/search bar/thingy would be great.

I can manage it on my phone/tablet by searching the page in the address bar, but would prefer a more direct way that is implemented in the game.

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I would assume a 'search bar' on the breeding page would act more like the browser's 'find' feature, ie *searching* for something specific on the page, instead of filtering to a list with certain criteria.

Given that a simple go-to-result search bar would have no functional difference beyond an inbuilt browser search bar? I would not assume that. Why request something redundant? Why would TJ implement it? There's no point to assuming anyone wants the simple kind of search bar.

Edited by Shadowdrake

yes please!! the filtering functionality already exists, so I find it really frustrating that it hasn't been applied to the breeding page yet.

4 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Not necessarily. I think most people would see those two things differently: A search bar is a free-form text field that will bring up results when you type in something (for example, the url-bar on most browsers, or the 'find on page' feature on most browsers). Search bars usually require you to type in specific things (for example, a specific name if you use the 'find' feature) and gives specific results often based on the page you are on. *Filters*, on the other hand, are more broad and generally give you back a list of dragons that fit that filter, not just one specific result. The 'filter by' on our scroll page is a perfect example.  I would assume a 'search bar' on the breeding page would act more like the browser's 'find' feature, ie *searching* for something specific on the page, instead of filtering to a list with certain criteria.

The OP may have been using the terms interchangeably, but when it comes to a specific feature there is definitely a difference.

ok i mean like, yes there is definitely a difference and i'm not disagreeing i'm just pointing out that when people here are saying "search bar" they probably did mean the filter. i mean, i can't speak for everyone, obviously, but the filter on the fertility/group page already IS a search bar as well as having all the neat little filters, so i think it's just splitting hairs to correct everyone. i appreciate your clarity though.

----

at the risk of gunking up the thread, i am very in support of this addition. i think it would also help me choose new mates since sometimes i'm just looking for something NEW to breed with a dragon but i always kinda end up defaulting to the same stuff because i get fatigued looking through so many dragons

I didn't realize it was a problem for a lot of people until now ! As I play on the computer and as my naming scheme includes the name of the breed, I always did CTRL+F to search for the mate. However, I support the idea of filter/search bar, I think there is something like that when you use the BSA Fertility of the Purple Dragon, so why not for breeding ? ☺️