borntobefree

Loan out to stud

Standard probability - nothing else would work OK with the ratios for the  full player base. It's not fair for this idea to limit breeding chances for others - because let's face it, it would be mostly rares that this would be used for, and those of us building our own lines have quite enough trouble with them as it is. Your warning line would be a very good idea. (I rather think the OP was assuming a 100% success rate. NOT going to happen, nor should it.)

Not getting the egg is a risk you take. It's a big risk. That's why I have suggested throughout that you're better working with someone who breeds their own dragons for free; someone who will keep at it till they get what you asked for.

On 8/1/2020 at 5:50 PM, ADN6 said:

I think that this best sums up my feelings about this suggestion in this specific form. The mechanics for obtaining eggs now (stealing an egg, even trading since we've already established we aren't opposed to kidnapping baby dragons :P) fit in with the lore. But calling this "loan out to stud" portrays them as livestock, and having this as a part of the game would feel like it was canon that they were just livestock (despite all the lore that states otherwise). 

People use egg donors, sperm donors all the time. How is this so very different? Call it a fertility clinic instead of a stud service, nobody has to send their dragon to another scroll, they just hit the clinic and pick out a donor from people who are offering.

As far as the harassment angle, it's obvious from the replies in this thread that being harassed to breed is ALREADY a problem, and has been for a long while. Implementing some sort of cross breeding action won't make a difference, beggers gonna beg regardless.

Frankly, personally I would not want to offer any "stud services" myself as I know how difficult it is to get eggs from shinies particularly with common mates. If I'd take an offer to breed Cayvyn with, say, a Pink or Purple for some Gold or Silver egg, I bet the receiver of the stud service would be highly annoyed if s/he'd get "no egg", "no interest" or a Pink/Purple, and I would expect to be nagged to try again and again etc until there is a Bronze egg. I think this would become way too stressful for me.

Thus my suggestions are only aimed to figure out some way to make it work for people who might enjoy such a function, but I would certainly not use it myself, just to clear up that I'm in general not really in favour of this myself, but if others want it - so be it.

I agree with you, Astreya - I have one of those annoying prize dragons myself.

2 hours ago, Astreya said:

Thus my suggestions are only aimed to figure out some way to make it work for people who might enjoy such a function, but I would certainly not use it myself, just to clear up that I'm in general not really in favour of this myself, but if others want it - so be it.

My position too.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

7 hours ago, Astreya said:

The question is - how high a probability of success should such a breeding have (Standard?) and would people not be annoyed if they offer, say, a 2G PB Gold and then get a "no interest" in return. I think one should add a caveat "Stud services have the normal probabilities and can result in "no egg", "no interest" or a refusal, too."

This, so much. Plus no producing two eggs (one for each scroll), only normal 1-egg clutches unless a holiday in its breeding season or a Celestial are involved. Even so, one egg to keep and the rest goes to the AP.

Also +1 on NO SHARDS. Shards were very much intended to NOT allow for trading between scrolls, as trading between users could have too much of an impact on the game - and mostly for the worse.

commenting here because I was thinking of this. ideas to make it work: 

what if it was a free decision between the owners of 2 different dragons? like this, say I had a white dragon and i wanted to breed it with an Amalthean dragon with a specific kind of lineage that i couldnt find anywhere. I could post on the forums what I want, and generous people might look through these and one might say "Oh, I have a dragon just like this sitting in my scroll, it's no problem for me to breed it with your dragon," and then initiate a private breeding. The egg (if there was one; i think this should work like normal breeding) would be sent to the person who wanted it, and the person who had the amalthean dragon carries on as normal, because they didn't really care much in the first place. 

if, however, I had a dragon i wanted to breed with one very specific dragon, I shouldn't be allowed to pester its owner unless they have explicitly stated that they're ok with being asked to breed their dragons. 

I think we should give people on here more chances to prove themselves as nice people. I know I would be fine with letting other people breed with some of my dragons for free, and there are probably many people who feel the same. It would be helpful for new players as well, who may want a specific breed of dragon but can't catch it in the cave, trades or AP even though it's fairly common- I wanted a Khusa dragon for a really long time, but i could never find one anywhere until recently.

idk if any of this makes sense, I'm still a bit new. I play a lot of games similar to this one, and most of them have options for breeding with other people's characters or at least plans to make it an option.

We have always to bear in mind that there can be no direct communication between scrolls - so you could never arrange such a thing with someone who isn't on forum, OR of course an IRL friend. But there will always be the issue of who gets the egg. It WILL come up.

Based on real life examples, I guess it's safe to say that the owner of the mother dragon. If there are more offsprings (say, because a second round happened with the same parents) then the owner of the father. 

That would mean that anyone wanting an egg from their own male dragon would have to give it to the other player....

...huh. I feel like there are good options to make this overall concept work, and people are either getting snagged on the specific phrasing and suggested mechanics, or making bad-faith arguments on how this could end up harming people without trying to suggest solutions.  As a broad concept, I like the idea of cross-scroll breeding, and primarily not for getting super rare things out of other people. I think it'd be a neat way to expand people's ability to continue various breeding projects, including common x commons, common x uncommons, rare x uncommon color alt... etc. 

My suggestions:

1) Don't call this studding. Call it "Looking for a Mate" or "Offering to Mate". Looking for a mate means you keep any resulting eggs. Offering to mate means the other person keeps any resulting eggs. If the person who's supposed to receive the egg(s) is locked when they're produced, they're bounced to the AP, same as regular breeding.

2) Your dragon never leaves your scroll. Instead, have a "find a mate" hub, or whatever you'd like to call it. You list the dragon you'd like to find a mate for in the mating hub with a little text line describing what you're looking for, and you can take them down at any time. While they're on the hub, they aren't available for breeding on your own scroll. 

3) Like the trading hub, people make offers- in this case, they offer mates for your dragon. While their dragon is offered as a mate, that dragon isn't available for breeding on their scroll. You can look through and reject offers you don't like, and people can cancel their offer at any time.

4) Once you accept an offer of a mate, the two dragons attempt to breed as normal, at regular success rates, affected by whether either has fertility. Refusals can still happen. If there are egg(s), where they go is determined by (1) above. Your dragon is removed from the mating hub and can be manually relisted once their breeding cooldown is over, if you want.

I see a lot of people on here arguing that people should just use the trading hub or forum for bloodswaps. That's fair, but I just see this suggestion as expanding people's options, especially if you can't breed another of the dragon you have for bloodswapping (say you found a lovely lineage in the AP or received it as a gift). I personally think it'd also be a fun way for those that want to to list rare things for other people to breed with- I think I'd like to list my prize on a mating hub like this for people to try their luck with shinies. I definitely have no expectation that would be all people with super rare things, but I think it's a fun potential. 

One thing about the idea of a mate hub:

It would have to list if Fertility is applied to the dragon on the hub or the dragon offered as a mate.  That could influence if somebody accepts or not.

16 hours ago, Sylph264 said:

My suggestions:

1) Don't call this studding. Call it "Looking for a Mate" or "Offering to Mate". Looking for a mate means you keep any resulting eggs. Offering to mate means the other person keeps any resulting eggs. If the person who's supposed to receive the egg(s) is locked when they're produced, they're bounced to the AP, same as regular breeding.

I can't see tat what you call it makes te slightest difference.

2) Your dragon never leaves your scroll. Instead, have a "find a mate" hub, or whatever you'd like to call it. You list the dragon you'd like to find a mate for in the mating hub with a little text line describing what you're looking for, and you can take them down at any time. While they're on the hub, they aren't available for breeding on your own scroll. 

I would certainly NEVER support anything that had your dragon leave your scroll. Maybe some people in this thread have never had a - less than pleasant - player go for them; those of us who have know why this would be a bad idea.

3) Like the trading hub, people make offers- in this case, they offer mates for your dragon. While their dragon is offered as a mate, that dragon isn't available for breeding on their scroll. You can look through and reject offers you don't like, and people can cancel their offer at any time.

Why not just PUT it in the trading hub then ?

Sorry - I still don't support this.

On 10/29/2023 at 4:47 AM, Fuzzbucket said:

I can't see tat what you call it makes te slightest difference.

I read the entire thread, and one of the biggest issues people had was with this being called studding, due to the lore/flavor implications. 

I would certainly NEVER support anything that had your dragon leave your scroll. Maybe some people in this thread have never had a - less than pleasant - player go for them; those of us who have know why this would be a bad idea.

I agree. That's why I specified your dragon never leaves your scroll. 

Why not just PUT it in the trading hub then ?

That's perfectly valid as well. I wouldn't particularly care for that unless the two "sections" were split because I think it'd make things messier to navigate. 

Sorry - I still don't support this.

That's fine. 

Edited by Sylph264