trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

35 minutes ago, PrincessLucy said:

I just got back from food shopping. It took 4 1/2 hours between shopping (2 stores- 1 grocery store and 1 pet supply store), bringing everything in, disinfecting everything, and taking a shower. $562.90 at the grocery store (with my discount), and $74 something for pet food.  It is nice to have fresh veggies again, as we have been out for days. Got a roast, chicken, shrimp, hot dogs, and a couple of packs of hamburger meat.  I tried to stick to my list, but I did pick up a couple of other things. The only think that I cannot find is Scott flushable wipes (or any other brand) for my mother. I had to get baby wipes, which she doesn't like. I got 5 Ensure plus, which are $10.99 each. It all adds up fast.

I am hoping to not go back out for closer to 3 weeks this time. We will see.

The grocery store here has a senior citizen/immuno compromised hour in the morning, which is a zoo. They are now only letting 50% capacity in the store, but the whole huge grocery store only had about 50 people including workers when I was there around 11 AM. Plexiglass shield at every register, and they had cashiers at every other register, so a customer wouldn't be directly behind a cashier. The cashiers had masks with shields. Some employees had N-95s, some had medical masks, some had nothing. Before I stopped working a few weeks back, employees were not allowed to wear masks, but the union now says that we can, at the store's expense if we want to wear a mask. The ones with the N-95 masks brought their own in.

I had a medical mask on, under a material one. 

At the pet supply store, the owner, Debbie, had the door closed, and asked me if I was sick before I was allowed in. (She is doing curbside pickup for people who are sick.) She was concerned, as she shops at the grocery store that I work at, and hadn't seen me for weeks. She had wanted me to know that my special order came in. I am not working as I cannot bring any illness home to my 91 year old mother.

:O

I don't think we have gone to that extent yet, the screens etc. In fact, I think the food store employees have only just begun wearing masks. I have some doing some shopping for me tomorrow morning which should see me through till next week.

15 minutes ago, Lagie said:

😮

I don't think we have gone to that extent yet, the screens etc. In fact, I think the food store employees have only just begun wearing masks. I have some doing some shopping for me tomorrow morning which should see me through till next week.

Hoping that you can get what you need to last through the 5-day lockdown!  Stay safe and healthy!

Well, I think we have screens in pretty much all grocery stores by now. We certainly had them in most a little over a week ago, before my quarantine started. XD One more day...

Most stores won't let you in without a shopping cart any more. Probably because they make it easier to keep your distance when standing in line. Like someone stated above, only every other register is open. Not to mention that most stores put markings on the floor near the registers that are 2 m (6 feet) apart. Also markings around some other areas where people might have to stand in line. You get the idea.

I need to go to the grocery store, but I don't want to go even though I have a mask.  Gotta go though before it gets worse around here.  We have a nurse sick and have had our 1st death in the area.

2 hours ago, Classycal said:

I need to go to the grocery store, but I don't want to go even though I have a mask.  Gotta go though before it gets worse around here.  We have a nurse sick and have had our 1st death in the area.

Stay safe!

And... thirty-three now.

IMG-20200406-WA0004.thumb.jpg.515a081d4551fd08b80a415243a352d2.jpg

Edited by Lagie
Adding image

I don't get it. Being in the US with the president we have is really eye opening. I can't believe we elected this person, how much more he cares about the corporations than the people in the country. How biased he is towards red states vs blue. This criminal should have been impeached. He does not care at all and anyone who says he does needs to go back over everything he is doing, really look into it. People are not going to self quarantine because they think they are special and able to avoid it. It needs to be enforced, hospitals need proper equipment.

The US is a laughing stock. We're number one surely now, aren't we? I hope against everything that Trump and Pence are voted out this election and we get someone who legitimately cares in. This cannot continue or the US is going to be beyond screwed with nothing to fix it besides to restart, but maybe that is what we need in the end? All I know is Trump needs to go and corporations need to be checked and taken down several notches.They should not run a country, yet here we are.

Probably got a little more political than intended but it absolutely is true. My own state is getting more cases and the first two in my county is finally here. I am terrified what it will do with my family and wonder how many will be left standing after all it said and done.

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

I think now that our PM is in Intensive Care, Trump may start to think a little harder. He thinks Johnson is wonderful and invincible like he is himself - so if Johnson can be so sick - maybe he can too ?

But as Cuomo said - remember that 95% of us will be perfectly fine, and of the other 5% most will also recover. This is such a good message.

Thinking fear all the time weakens us physically - seriously. Try to think positively, even in scary times.

57 minutes ago, demonicvampiregirl said:

I don't get it. Being in the US with the president we have is really eye opening. I can't believe we elected this person, how much more he cares about the corporations than the people in the country. How biased he is towards red states vs blue. This criminal should have been impeached. He does not care at all and anyone who says he does needs to go back over everything he is doing, really look into it. People are not going to self quarantine because they think they are special and able to avoid it. It needs to be enforced, hospitals need proper equipment.

The US is a laughing stock. We're number one surely now, aren't we? I hope against everything that Trump and Pence are voted out this election and we get someone who legitimately cares in. This cannot continue or the US is going to be beyond screwed with nothing to fix it besides to restart, but maybe that is what we need in the end? All I know is Trump needs to go and corporations need to be checked and taken down several notches.They should not run a country, yet here we are.

Probably got a little more political than intended but it absolutely is true. My own state is getting more cases and the first two in my county is finally here. I am terrified what it will do with my family and wonder how many will be left standing after all it said and done.

Number one? You have more infected people than #2 and #3 (Spain and Italy) put together, and at the rate you're going, you'll surpass the sum of #2, #3 and #4 (#4 currently being Germany, but might be France at the time) within the week. You're currently #3 with total deaths, but that's going to change, probably also within a week. And, no, that's not a sign of good health care, it's a sign that the US is still at the beginning of the pandemic. Because most people who die from Covid do so after more than 2 weeks since the symptoms began.

About left standing - numbers consistently indicate a death rate between 5% (death percentage of all infected) and (roughly) 20% (death percentage of all closed cases). That should give you an idea of how many.  Considering there are over 350 k infected in the US, that's at least going to be 17.5 k deaths. Probably many more (since you already surpassed 10 k and are still in the very early stages).

On the plus side, Italy is definitely over the worst part of the pandemic, their infection rate has been in decline for over a week now. Spain starts to look good, too, and Germany shows hints of it, too. (There's always the weekend effect to consider, but it still looks promising.)

Personally, I don't consider you US citizens to be laughingstock - at least not the general citizen. Your President, however, is a different story. And, of course, the idiots. But idiots are everywhere, not just in the US. I think every single one of us could tell covidiot stories from our homelands.

10 minutes ago, olympe said:

Personally, I don't consider you US citizens to be laughingstock - at least not the general citizen. Your President, however, is a different story. And, of course, the idiots. But idiots are everywhere, not just in the US. I think every single one of us could tell covidiot stories from our homelands.

OH yes:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/man-stopped-police-m1-leicestershire-4023239 

And - that 250 mile round trip drive - even if he hadn't been caught - would have cost him a MINIMUM of £5 in fuel.... He'd have had to buy a LOT pf bread to make it worth it.

11 hours ago, olympe said:

Most stores won't let you in without a shopping cart any more. Probably because they make it easier to keep your distance when standing in line.

The idea is actually that they calculate the store's square footage divided by how much they think a single person needs to stay "safe" - that's the number of people they let in, so that's the number of shopping carts they keep available. 1 cart = 1 person = easy counting.

Of course that doesn't work so well if whole families go shopping and they let in the whole group in with just 1 cart.

Round here it's one person only unless you are a single parent with a child and have no option.

@Fuzzbucket At least your stores make exceptions for single parents. There are some in Germany that don't. Idiocracy at its finest.

Can we rename the US form of government to idiocracy? Because there is an idiot in charge?

To me, that sounds good anyway. Here it seems that the personnel in stores has been informed very well to always keep a safe distance to customers and other workes. People doing their shopping, instead, are much more careless. Like today in the line there was this guy behind me literally breathing down my neck. I tried to step away from him but he kept following right after me. (Well, I only now realised I could have politely asked him to mind the safe distance... isn't the common character of our nation just great.) Things like that happen every time I go to supermarket.

I try to not be too anxious about food shopping. I have to go to supermarket every now and then when there are discounts if I'm looking to buy anything else than just pasta, potatoes and bread flour. I simply can't afford doing all my shopping for, say, a month or even two weeks at once. Perhaps getting my vitamins isn't the top priority right now but this situation can go on for quite some time so I'd like to stay healthy(ish). That said, I started to worry a bit more after reading about the research of how long the virus could actually stay in the air. The safe distances may not be enough. Mostly I'm still worried about my family though.

2 hours ago, olympe said:

Number one? You have more infected people than #2 and #3 (Spain and Italy) put together, and at the rate you're going, you'll surpass the sum of #2, #3 and #4 (#4 currently being Germany, but might be France at the time) within the week. You're currently #3 with total deaths, but that's going to change, probably also within a week. And, no, that's not a sign of good health care, it's a sign that the US is still at the beginning of the pandemic. Because most people who die from Covid do so after more than 2 weeks since the symptoms began.

About left standing - numbers consistently indicate a death rate between 5% (death percentage of all infected) and (roughly) 20% (death percentage of all closed cases). That should give you an idea of how many.  Considering there are over 350 k infected in the US, that's at least going to be 17.5 k deaths. Probably many more (since you already surpassed 10 k and are still in the very early stages).

On the plus side, Italy is definitely over the worst part of the pandemic, their infection rate has been in decline for over a week now. Spain starts to look good, too, and Germany shows hints of it, too. (There's always the weekend effect to consider, but it still looks promising.)

That was the entirety of the joke. I have never believed that statement. It is purely egotistical, and I have no idea who ever came up with it but they are wrong. We have never been number one and never will. We will be number one in stupidity, greed and corruption until the day there is a change. I believe by the end of it all, we will have the worst outcome by far because our "president" is that stupid to believe himself rather than what others are telling him in how serious this is. Sadly, people are readily willing to believe him and go along with it. We have a pretty terrible healthcare system here and people can get screwed over very easily here.

I'm more worried about what will be left of my family and my friends' family. Beyond that, everyone is for themselves, they are nuts here in that hand sanitizer and stuff like that is being hoarded. It's ridiculous, even the pricing of everything is going up. I checked on a Nintendo Switch cuz I been looking at them for years and they are nearly 600 now alone.

Sadly, we will probably continue to rise, wouldn't surprise me if we have far more than anyone else combined by the end as people are not taking it seriously. It sucks and I am seriously considering why I live in the US anymore.

The laughing stock is those with trump anymore but sadly, we are all lumped together cuz of them and therefore, we sadly are a laughingstock.

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

Soap and water is BETTER than sanitiser. And you can make your own - I did. 1/3 aloe vera gel to 2/3 alcohol (surgical spirit/rubbing alcohol.) It smells better than the store stuff.

When I was donating blood last week, we got a little "thank you bag" that also contained a small bottle of hand sanitiser which also said 700ml/1litre pure alcohol in a gel base. That's probably indeed the best solution, but one needs to get "pure" alcohol from the pharmacist. Wodka or most other spirits are not strong enough (80% Stroh Rum on its own would work with fewer gel, but you don't want to smell like Stroh Rum XD)  ^^

1 hour ago, demonicvampiregirl said:

The laughing stock is those with trump anymore but sadly, we are all lumped together cuz of them and therefore, we sadly are a laughingstock.

I think as Olympe said that we, as citizens (unless you voted for Trump, which I did not) are not a laughingstock.  The President on the other hand....

Nice video Fuzzbucket.

5 hours ago, demonicvampiregirl said:

This criminal should have been impeached.

I'm not that big on politics, but Trump WAS impeached. His fans say he wasn't because the Senate didn't vote him out, but he is still the third president to be impeached.

The problem is that Mr.Trump is not only a laughing stock, but he is outright dangerous.

I.e. he flouts advice from the CMOs about wearing a mask, he claims indiscriminately a certain drug is a wonder cure when there is no control study yet that shows a) when you'd best take it, b) how much you best take and and c) for whom it would be contraindicated (the stuff is known for severe side-effects up to cardiac arrest), and his numerous lies particularly in the beginning of the pandemic made numerous of his believer act careless because they believed him that it would be not dangerous etc.

@Astreya Try Klosterfrau Melissengeist (79% alcohol). At least you'd smell like something people around here tend to associate with medicine. :lol:

And, yes, Trump is dangerously stupid. There's no other way to say it unless save "criminally insane". 

2 hours ago, demonicvampiregirl said:

That was the entirety of the joke. I have never believed that statement. It is purely egotistical, and I have no idea who ever came up with it but they are wrong. We have never been number one and never will.

That's not quite true. You were first on the moon, and you were first with the atomic bomb and probably a number of other things. You also have a whole lot of bright scientists - but you also get your fair share of stupid. Maybe even more than your fair share, I'm not sure.

@olympe

LOL@Klosterfrau Melissengeist XD

Actually I always have ample reserves of isoprop as I usually take this to clean my computer monitor, keyboard etc. That works, too, even though the smell is not so nice.

Oh great. Looks like the US (an economic advisor of Mr.Trump, not a medical scientist) seems to puts his hopes on widespread antibody tests to get people back to work fast. AFAIK there are still huge problems with them as their reliability is way too low (IIRC Professor Marylyn Addo of the UKE in Hamburg recently gave an interview about the problems they still face when trying to develop a reliable test). But then, a US economists wouldn't mind any dangers to the health of an easily replaceable work force...

Oops. Sorry for the double post :(

By the way, I just found that the UK obviously bought their millions of antibody tests too early, too:  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-07/new-test-hopes-dashed-as-u-k-finds-antibody-kits-don-t-deliver

Edited by Astreya

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Soap and water is BETTER than sanitiser. And you can make your own - I did. 1/3 aloe vera gel to 2/3 alcohol (surgical spirit/rubbing alcohol.) It smells better than the store stuff.

Oh, I keep washing my hands all the time. My mother sadly needs it as she is one of them front line people. She is a DSP, so she really needs it to help out in the end. She is taking all precautions and is now resorting to making home made Aloe Vera.

55 minutes ago, Classycal said:

I think as Olympe said that we, as citizens (unless you voted for Trump, which I did not) are not a laughingstock.  The President on the other hand....

Nice video Fuzzbucket.

Oh, no I got it quite clearly but for some that does not matter. 😕 Wish it wasn't like that, I would never, ever vote for a Trump.

51 minutes ago, Raikielia said:

I'm not that big on politics, but Trump WAS impeached. His fans say he wasn't because the Senate didn't vote him out, but he is still the third president to be impeached.

Yes, but he still needed taken out of office entirely. Sadly he was not when he more than needed to be. Dx

40 minutes ago, olympe said:

@Astreya Try Klosterfrau Melissengeist (79% alcohol). At least you'd smell like something people around here tend to associate with medicine. :lol:

And, yes, Trump is dangerously stupid. There's no other way to say it unless save "criminally insane". 

That's not quite true. You were first on the moon, and you were first with the atomic bomb and probably a number of other things. You also have a whole lot of bright scientists - but you also get your fair share of stupid. Maybe even more than your fair share, I'm not sure.

Not what I was meaning. -lol- Okay, sure those are correct but a lot of people here think America = greatest nation ever, we are unable to be beaten/topped/ect and the list continues. People, even during this, will still scream that till their lungs give out. Sadly, we have an idiot for a president and it is ran by greed and corporations. Until those days stop, I don't see the US changing much. We are falling behind in every category but a few of the not nice ones.

@demonicvampiregirl

One of the things I find most fearful is that the US are turning more and more into a faux religious theocracy as there are many religious sects that seems to get more and more powerful and where political decisions are made for pseudo-Christian values (and I say pseudo as it is less about the religion for the leaders, but a lot of "religion" for the sheeple following them).