trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

130 cases on Tuesday, 95 of those on my island (positivity rate 23.7% :o ) for a new total of 14,458. One more death takes that total to 286. :(

And this is the nonsense some locals are sharing:

Screenshot_20210728-084409.thumb.png.01ba5dd4d63aeee5d750ef9c0e111905.png

Small wonder our vaccination rate (when we had the vaccines) is so low. There are far too many Covidiots out there.

@Astiana

I'm not really amused at the decision of the STIKO (Standing Committee on Vaccination in Germany) not to give a general recommendation for the vaccination of children over 12 (only if they have underlying health problems) as they think kids should only get vaccinated to benefit them and not to achieve "herd immunity". I really hope they will reconsider as I'm pretty sure it won't benefit kids if the pandemic goes into the next rounds as it is too difficult to get the proper number of vaccinated people in the country to keep the number permanently in check.

@Lagie

Looks like they mix up the people dropping dead due to the virus with their imagined dangers the vaccines are supposed to pose. I really wish it was possible to prosecute people who post idiocies like you reported for causing bodily harm!

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

I really wish it was possible to prosecute people who post idiocies like you reported for causing bodily harm!

Me, too.

I wait with bated to see what our PM has to say at 8 p.m. today. Ooh 4 minutes...

Nvm. There was nothing of interest beyond him pointing out that far too many people are reading and believing misinformation (like my example above), imploring people to get vaccinated when the next batch arrives next week, and reminding people to follow the guidelines already in place and to not go out if they don't have to.

Edited by Lagie
Updating...

Lagie - *hisses at the numbers and the misinformation being passed round in your area*  I really hope people don't listen to that rubbish and I really hope as many people as possible do get vaccinated!

Astreya - it's pretty much the same line of reasoning here too - I agree with your assessment - if children can be infected and transmit it, then leaving them unvaccinated (unless there is a medical reason why they can't have a vaccination) is a sure fire way of allowing a higher baseline of infection within the population (and allowing vaccine escape to happen quicker and easier).
Also: here, children have been expected to isolate after a positive test result - the results of which are that many children have missed school because they were in the same bubble/close contact of said positive case. Disruption to education (and all the rest as well) is damaging, and could easily be limited by the simple act of vaccination. 

Here, today, it's reported that international travel quarantine is being scrapped for the EU and US (even though the CDC say: Do Not Travel To The UK) ... 

@Lagie

I'm always extremely saddened that there are so many people wilfully spreading such misinformation.IMO it would be nice to put them all together onto one otherwise empty island and let the virus then spread its course among them. Afterwards they'd at least not be able to infect and spread it any more as they achieved natural immunity without endangering others but themselves.

@Astiana

Indeed! I really shake my head when I hear that argument "But we can't let scientists experiment on our innocent children with their untested medication". But it is better to let a still largely unknown virus infect and thus  "experiment" on innocent kids? With the vaccination they at least get it under controlled circumstances, while it is still largely unknown what the virus might do to them even when the initial infection was without symptoms.

People really forget that there is stuff like SSPE that can happen years after a "harmless" measles infection (we are just in the first year after the initial spread of SARS-CoV-2 in the human population), or viruses like varicella zoster that can sleep for years in nerve cells. (And SARS-CoV-2 evidently affects the nerve system, too.)

--------------

As of today, Thursday, July 29, 11:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 61 (+7) active cases, while 10 580 (+3)  people are considered to have recovered. 371 (+-0) persons sadly died. 102 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 11 012 (+10) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 14.2 (+1.4).

Currently 4 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with one of them in intensive care.

There have been 127 103 (1st jab, 60.2%) and 102 753  (2nd jab, 48.7%) vaccinations so far. (There was a major mess-up in the vaccination reports from the GPs to the local health office so the numbers needed to be massively corrected.)

--------------

As of today, Friday, July 30, 10:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 67 (+6) active cases, while 10 581 (+1)  people are considered to have recovered. 371 (+-0) persons sadly died. 125 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 11 019 (+7) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 14.7 (+0.5).

Currently 1 (-3) person is treated in hospital, with none in intensive care.

There have been 127 103 (1st jab, 60.2%) and 102 753  (2nd jab, 48.7%) vaccinations so far.

[Source: Stadt Oberhausen]

Edited by Astreya

Those Vac numbers are VERY nice 🥳

Applauds Astreya - yep to ALL that! I'll also add that it appears, from preliminary data that ME (and *sometimes* organ system damage not usually found with ME) caused by SARS-CoV-2 infection ""seems"" to be more prevalent the younger you are, though this could be data skew.

Given the strains on health systems already, it makes no sense to keep bumping along with lots of cases in young people who will take a long time to recover (my mum has ME and I can safely say it's extremely unpleasant), wrecking their development in the process. 

(also measles ... you're right measles and shingles are definitely not harmless ... I kinda want to observe that measles, mumps and rubella are really NASTY ... BUT because we get vaccinated, they are less of a problem - if you were a teen in the 1950s or earlier, the effects of M/M/R infection would have been highly visible - and we've "forgotten" all that - we honestly don't know just how lucky we are to have at least controlled these and all the others like diphtheria, etc (I know that there are serious outbreaks and all that is down to ... vaccine hesitancy). 

So I haven't been keeping up with the news for a bit and just found out unvaccinated people can still spread the virus. While I long suspected that would be the case. It is worrying to have that confirmed. Especially with so many vaccinated people going around unmasked among so many unvaccinated, and with the delta variant spreading like wildfire. With the distrust of vaccines, this is a recipe for disaster, if vaccinated people don't mask back up.

20 hours ago, AngelsSin said:

just found out unvaccinated people can still spread the virus

Hunh? Did you mean to say vaccinated?

And the CDC has adjusted the guidelines to say everyone, vaccinated or not, should be wearing masks indoors.

132 cases yesterday, 94 on my island (positivity rate 28.6% :o ) for a new total of 14,678 cases. No additional deaths. 103 people in hospital, 12 of those in the ICU.

I had a customer today pull down his mask to speak to me and I literally fliched away from him and leaned as far back as I could (there's basically a wall behind me, so not far) and told him not to say anything until he covered up again. He profusely apologized, saying it wouldn't happen again, but in fact we had the exact same thing happen the last time he was in. Methinks he's not quite right in the head.

The new information on the Delta variant being more likely to infect those fully vaccinated is both extremely alarming and dismaying. Worse, both my dad and younger sister are camping up in MA, nowhere near Provincetown thankfully, but both unvaccinated with underlying health issues.

Dad was told by his doctor that he can't get it because of his problems still being investigated, but my sister's actively choosing to not get it, and she has asthma.

One thing to keep in mind with these new findings is that the vaccine was never supposed to be a cure, there was always a chance fully vaccinated people could become infected. Where it makes the difference is in how badly covid hits you: it drastically reduces your chances of hospitalization and death from covid, which is where it does the most good.

I never stopped masking in public, and really hope I don't go back into an office for the rest of the year.

@Astiana

Unfortunately the vaccination numbers are currently on a downward slope in Germany:

(Impfen = to vaccinate, geimpft=vaccinated, Impfdosen=number of jabs, Impftempo=speed of vaccination, vollständig=completely)

vacspeed.png

Source: https://www.n-tv.de/infografik/Coronavirus-aktuelle-Zahlen-Daten-zur-Epidemie-in-Deutschland-Europa-und-der-Welt-article21604983.html

@Lagie

Yuck. I just hope you will stay as safe as you can be. At least that guy didn't get aggressive when you pointed out his misdemeanor.

@TacticianLyra

I hope your Dad's problems will soon be resolved and your sister understand that the virus is the problem not the vaccination!

As for the Delta variant being able to break through the vaccine protection, we had a virologist on TV today who was interviewed about this report and he said that the findings were interesting, but there were some problems with the underlying data and he expected the vaccines still top be sufficiently efficient. Apparently there was no proper double blind study and thus the findings were not so easy to properly evaluate. He said he would monitor further results and wait for proper peer reviews.

@purpledragonclaw

Exactly!

Edited by Astreya

I still wear my mask when I'm in a crowd of people I don't know even for a short time, like Starbucks or wawa at lunch .... or when I'm seeing lots of people I don't know over a period of,  say 4 or 5 hours..... like when I'm working at my retail job.  

like right now, I'm actually at a live theater show with my daughter... masked. there's a few of us wearing masks, but not a lot. interesting. 

Area is shutting down, no school or work until wednesday, and i left my stylus there :[ i'm the only one in my family not vaxx'ed

@SomeRandomCorviknight

Please stay safe! I hope you will soon be able to get a jab, too.

--------------

As of today, Saturday, July 31, 10:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 67 (+-0) active cases, while 10 585 (+4)  people are considered to have recovered. 372 (+1) persons sadly died. 115 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 11 024 (+5) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 15.2 (+0.5).

Currently 4 (+3) person is treated in hospital, with none in intensive care.

There have been 127 103 (1st jab, 60.2%) and 102 753  (2nd jab, 48.7%) vaccinations so far. (I wonder when they'll manage to update this data again!)

163 (!) cases yesterday, 136 on my island (positivity rate 19.7%) for a new total of 14,841 cases. One additional death takes that total to 287. :(

102 people in hospital, 17 (up 5...) of those in the ICU.

@Lagie

Oh dear! I really hope you will get these numbers down again!

In Germany in general the numbers are rising, too, as one can see here (source).:

covgermany.png

In my home town, things look pretty stable still.

--------------

As of today, Sunday, August 1, 10:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 66 (-1) active cases, while 10 588 (+3)  people are considered to have recovered. 372 (+-0) persons sadly died. 106 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 11 026 (+2) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 15.2 (+-0).

Currently 3 (-1) persons are treated in hospital, with none in intensive care.

There have been 127 404 (1st jab, 60.4%) and 102 792  (2nd jab, 48.7%) vaccinations so far. Looks like people are currently pretty lazy (or the GPs haven't reported their numbers yet as they often do this a bit later). At least there is a note that now all kids from 12-15 can get their vaccination if they want, no matter whether they are in a risk group or not.

--------------

As of today, Monday, August 2, 08:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 65 (-1) active cases, while 10 592 (+4)  people are considered to have recovered. 372 (+-0) persons sadly died. 103 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 11 029 (+3) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 16.1 (+0.9).

Currently 3 (+-0) persons are treated in hospital, with none in intensive care.

There have been 127 552 (1st jab, 60.5%) and 102 823  (2nd jab, 48.7%) vaccinations so far.

--------------

As of today, Tuesday, August 3, 12:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 63 (-2) active cases, while 10 594 (+2)  people are considered to have recovered. 375 (+3) persons sadly died. 105 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 11 032 (+3) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 17.1 (+1.0).

Currently 3 (+-0) persons are treated in hospital, with none in intensive care.

There have been 127 874 (1st jab, 60.6%) and 104 667  (2nd jab, 49.6%) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

7 hours ago, Astreya said:

Oh dear! I really hope you will get these numbers down again!

Me, too!

81 cases yesterday, 63 on my island (positivity rate 16.2%) for a new total of 14,921 cases. Four additional deaths take that total to 291. :(

105 people in hospital, 15 (down two) of those in the ICU.

Getting a 'vid test today. I hope it goes well. Time to get a swab shoved in my nose, i guess 

I know they will be doing fairs again in September (because I work there at the entrance) and I am very curious how that will play out.

While I did sign up working there, I only did so because the hubby and me are both vully vaccinated by now.

I am finally fully vaccinated ! 

Just in time for the french sanitary pass, and I was trying to get the vaccine way before that, so I don't know how people that are begining to search for an appointment will do. 😐

91 cases yesterday, 74 on my island (positivity rate 20%) for a new total of 15,012 cases. No additional deaths.

104 people in hospital, 14 (down one) of those in the ICU.

And here we have some vaccination stats:

IMG-20210802-WA0000.thumb.jpg.a91dc2201c622bc3ab3dc4e1f5a7ca1d.jpg

We have a population of just under 400,000 so our fully vaccinated total is about 13%.

Oh nu, Lagie 😢 that uptick in the rate is horrible - hopefully it'll settle down soonest for you all! And eesh, those vaccination stats are ... ... ... definitely stay safe and all that!

Astreya - oh dear, it looks like things have accelerated again - I hope, rather than expect, it doesn't turn into a big spike after all, unlikely a hope as this is. As to vaccinations - I saw your stats, and was impressed with the tininess of the gap between first and second (I know it's down to vaccination schedule) - but it's a shame that the overall vaccination rate has slowed. 

Here in the UK, the rate has fallen, but so has the number of tests done - as well as it being a Monday, when the data are always lower owing to fewer reports being made over the weekend ... so the data ... are dubious to say the least. 

2 hours ago, Astiana said:

Here in the UK, the rate has fallen, but so has the number of tests done - as well as it being a Monday, when the data are always lower owing to fewer reports being made over the weekend ... so the data ... are dubious to say the least.

Sundays tend to be our lower days, too, but right now no days are low. I'm double masking and keeping my distance.

Stay safe!

My city has a mask mandate again, which is good. We all gave it up too quickly, and now look. There's been a huge resurgence of cases. It's looking quite grim again.

I never stopped wearing my mask. Turns out I was right... sigh.