trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

2 hours ago, Kaini said:

My city has a mask mandate again, which is good. We all gave it up too quickly, and now look. There's been a huge resurgence of cases. It's looking quite grim again.

I never stopped wearing my mask. Turns out I was right... sigh.

Yup. We haven't had a new mask mandate, but there has been a significant increase in new cases. Gone from an average of 1-4 new cases a day to multiple days with 20+ new cases last week. Reports are saying the (apparently much more aggressive) delta variant has become the majority around here, which makes me think *hope* there will be a new mask mandate soon. 

My mom has finally started driving again after her knee surgery back in April, still not driving often but that's mostly due to the heat here. She keeps wanting to go here and go there and I keep reminding her this *is* still Pandemic Times, she's fully vaccinated but also extremely immunocompromised and at the moment staying home is the best option. 

Haven't stopped wearing a mask when out... and still avoiding shopping as much as possible!

Our family is very, VERY aware of the need for vaccines - Hubby is a Polio survivor, having contracted it at age 3 BEFORE the vaccine was available. He spent a lot of time in the hospital/rehab & never recovered the use of his legs. So many people have forgotten or are unaware of that time. Plus, our 6yr old granddaughter is immuno-compromised & the Governor (idiot) is insisting that EVERYONE has to go to school in-person in the fall, no exceptions & no masks. Her parents are trying really hard not to freak out.

Edited by JaneMcAsh

2 hours ago, JaneMcAsh said:

Plus, our 6yr old granddaughter is immuno-compromised & the Governor (idiot) is insisting that EVERYONE has to go to school in-person in the fall, no exceptions & no masks. Her parents are trying really hard not to freak out.

That is horrible to read. In France, the "school in-person" thing is supposed to happen too, but we have no information about special cases like these. Probably because no one really believes that it will be possible in september. 😓

@Lagie

Your high positivity rate is always very alarming! And I really, really hope that you will get more vaccine ASAP so that you can get more people vaccinated!

Sadly, in Germany the rate of positiove tests has been rising, too, for the last 4 weeks:

Four weeks ago it was 0.80% from 709 016 tests in the week, and last week it was 2.35% from only 584 229 tests!

@Astiana

Unfortunately, here both the number of tests get less and the number of cases gets higher, which together shows that the virus spread is increasing, even when it still looks slightly less bad than in other countries.

The big problem is that the number one tabloid in Germany is currently campaigning against the measures that can reign in the infection, which doesn't make things better at all.

This Sunday we had some riots in Berlin when anti-vaxxers and anti-lockdown idiots demonstrated despite a ban (as they announced they wouldn't follow the mask mandate and keeping distance, their demos were not allowed, but there were still some thousand idiots showing up and starting fights with the police.

@HeatherMarie

Yeah, in Germany the Delta variant became the predominant variant within a few weeks, too. Here's an interesting chart that shows the development of the variants in Germany since the beginning of 2021:

Your are wise to advise your Mom not to drive around too much now that Delta is spreading so fast!

@JaneMcAsh

The situation of your granddaughter is extremely dire! But isn't it possible in the US to homeschool kids? This would be one very good reason why one could take advantage of that!

--------------

As of today, Wednesday, August 4, 08:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 60 (-3) active cases, while 10 602 (+8)  people are considered to have recovered. 375 (+-0) persons sadly died. 110 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 11 037 (+5) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 17.1 (+-0.0).

Currently 5 (+2) persons are treated in hospital, with none in intensive care.

There have been 127 874 (1st jab, 60.6%) and 104 667  (2nd jab, 49.6%) vaccinations so far.

--------------

As of today, Thursday, August 5, 11:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 66 (+6) active cases, while 10 609 (+7)  people are considered to have recovered. 375 (+-0) persons sadly died. 164 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 11 050 (+13) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 17.6 (+0.5).

Currently 4 (-1) persons are treated in hospital, with none in intensive care.

There have been 128 128 (1st jab, 60.7%) and 104 740  (2nd jab, 49.6%) vaccinations so far.

[Source: Stadt Oberhausen]

Edited by Astreya

@JaneMcAsh  Your granddaughter is exactly why this whole push for in-person school is way too soon. I can't even imagine being a parent with an  immuno-compromised child and basically being told you *must* deliberately increase the chance of them getting sick. Around here the ages of majority-cases have changed significantly, most of the newer cases are younger people, even children.

14 hours ago, JaneMcAsh said:

EVERYONE has to go to school in-person in the fall, no exceptions & no masks.

No masks?!? That's frightening. Homeschooling would seem like a better option, if they're able.

35 cases yesterday, 28 on my island (positivity rate 24.1%!) for a new total of 15,047 cases. The total tests were lower as it was a holiday. One additional death (36 years old) takes that total to 292. :(

104 people (up two) in hospital, 14 (no change) of those in the ICU.

20 minutes ago, Lagie said:
15 hours ago, JaneMcAsh said:

EVERYONE has to go to school in-person in the fall, no exceptions & no masks.

No masks?!? That's frightening. Homeschooling would seem like a better option, if they're able.

welcome to Texas.  or Florida. or anywhere with an @#$%^& republican governor or state government.

wouldn't suprise me if PA passed some of the same @#$%^&*&^%$#@ as well. *sigh*

i'm still wearing my mask indoors where there's people i don't know.

@trystan Yep, Texas - home of the Covidiots, unfortunately, a lot of them in the state government!

"Texas officials are now denying requests from hospitals for additional staffing as COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations surge across the state."

"In Texas, however, Republican state leaders held their ground against allowing local schools and governments to require masks, sticking with statewide bans on pandemic-era restrictions even as hospitalizations continue to rise and large cities and counties in the state have been strengthening their health recommendations."

14 minutes ago, JaneMcAsh said:

@trystan Yep, Texas - home of the Covidiots, unfortunately, a lot of them in the state government!

"Texas officials are now denying requests from hospitals for additional staffing as COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations surge across the state."

"In Texas, however, Republican state leaders held their ground against allowing local schools and governments to require masks, sticking with statewide bans on pandemic-era restrictions even as hospitalizations continue to rise and large cities and counties in the state have been strengthening their health recommendations."

Okay, that should just downright be illegal, seriously. It should be 100% illegal to *ban* pandemic restrictions like mask requirements, that's.... That's literally deliberately putting lives in danger.  Like, I could understand something like that 2 years from now when/if there are barely any cases left at all and we have majority-vaccination, but right now? Now I'm just angry.

@JaneMcAsh - that's terrible. i'm sorry you have such an idiotic governor.  

there's an article out there with the headline "Delta variant in Pa.: How can Gov. Wolf manage COVID surge after voters stripped his power?" - it's behind a paywall at goerie.com, but i managed to read it! Wolf could reissue a mask mandate, but not an emergency declaration for no longer than 21 days. *sigh*

Spoiler

The Delta COVID-19 variant is spreading across Pennsylvania at a time when Gov. Tom Wolf has less executive power during emergencies.

Primary voters in May chose to delegate some of that authority to the state Legislature, making it difficult for Wolf to make decisions based on the virus' spread as he did last year when he shuttered businesses and schools when the pandemic first struck.

Wolf's supporters praised his safety-first approach, but his critics and 52% of voters agreed to side with Republicans, who worried about the economy and knocked extended shutdowns and mask orders.

But now as the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention again encourage masks, push vaccines and warn of the dangers of the Delta variant, Pennsylvania lawmakers could soon be in a position to fulfill the responsibilities given to them this year by voters. 

"Unfortunately, in Pennsylvania, the Republican majority voted to end the disaster declaration and give the Legislature more emergency management authority which it’s never had before," said House Democratic Leader Joanna McClinton.

"Now it will be up to the Legislature to act in a bipartisan manner to deal with any extended emergency situation."

More:Pa. Republicans to put voter ID on ballot after Gov. Wolf vetoed voting reform bill

What happens next in Pa. with Wolf's powers curtailed?

Republicans say they are up to the task and have proven that by quickly developing procedures for remote participation last year, passing legislation to create a COVID-19 joint legislative-executive task force, participating in the governor’s vaccine task force and passing legislation to respond to various aspects of the pandemic.

"The House Republican Caucus has shown we are prepared to do our part to work collaboratively to responsibly and reasonably manage any potential emergency," said Jason Gottesman, press secretary for House Majority Leader Kerry Benninghoff.

Though the Legislature is on recess until late September, lawmakers could mobilize in Harrisburg if called upon by House and Senate leaders because of a worsening public health crisis.

CDC officials say the virus is highly contagious and dangerous, but vaccines do offer protection.

The agency is recommending masks in areas with high transmission rates, including for vaccinated people who can pass on the Delta variant. And the CDC is recommending masks for everyone in schools. 

The Delta variant is responsible for 65% of new COVID-19 cases in Pennsylvania, according to Acting Secretary of Health Alison Beam.

The Pennsylvania Department of Health late last week said it is not issuing a statewide mask mandate. Instead, the department and Wolf are pushing vaccines, especially for people who have not yet received a second dose. 

"The governor is focused on increasing vaccination rates," said Wolf spokeswoman Lyndsay Kensinger.

"Right now, Pennsylvania is 8th in the country in first dose vaccinations, and we are deploying a comprehensive plan including local outreach and paid marketing to make sure every Pennsylvanian understands the importance of the vaccine to protect against the serious risks of COVID-19."

More:Pennsylvania won't mandate face masks in public despite rising COVID-19 rates

More:'A victory for the people of Pa.': What's next after Wolf loses some emergency powers

Delta variant in Pennsylvania: See the state's plan

The state's plan so far is in line with CDC data, which shows the highest rates of infections and hospitalizations are in areas with low vaccination rates. 

Should things get worse in Pennsylvania, Wolf will not be able to call all the shots, perhaps literally and figuratively, as he did in 2020.

For example, some states, like New York, have ordered all state workers to get vaccinated or get weekly COVID tests, and President Joe Biden is doing the same with the federal government.

Wolf can still issue an emergency declaration for 21 days, but the Legislature will have to vote whether to continue it beyond that time frame.

The governor also still has the legal authority to issue a new mask mandate, even without a disaster declaration. But, so far, he said he's not doing that.

Emergency orders from the state health secretary were not subject to the primary ballot referendum on executive power, so the Pennsylvania Department of Health can still issue mandates if it needs to. 

That may provide some comfort to troubled Democrats and health officials. 

"We are very concerned by the Delta variant," McClinton said in an email.

"Hospitalizations in PA almost doubled in the last two weeks. We need to continue to encourage our family, friends, and neighbors to get vaccinated and to follow CDC recommendations, including masking indoors in areas with high rates of transmission."

Republicans say the constitutional amendments approved by voters in May ensure the Legislature is an active partner in emergencies and that the governor isn't making all the rules. 

"As we prepare for the fall, plans are being laid to standardize emergency response operations, information sharing, and collaboration between all levels of government," Gottesman said. 

Republicans are also now advocating for vaccines and say the state is better prepared this year to handle the coronavirus.

"Regardless of the type of variant, with the high number of vaccinations across Pennsylvania and nearly 18 months of preparation and education, the Commonwealth is in a much better position to deal with and manage COVID-19," Gottesman said.

"At this point, the best way to protect yourself or others from serious illness is to get vaccinated or practice standard precautions.”

More:Here's why the Pa. House GOP is pushing back on state's plan to text vaccine reminders

Candy Woodall is a reporter for the USA TODAY Network Pennsylvania Capital Bureau. She can be reached at 717-480-1783 or on Twitter at @candynotcandace.

This coverage is only possible with support from our readers. Sign up today for a digital subscription.

i.... wow. i'm in the 48% that didn't vote that way! yeesh.

17 hours ago, TacticianLyra said:

And now there's the Delta Plus variant. We're nowhere near the end of this.

:o

78 cases yesterday, 67 on my island (positivity rate 26.4%!) for a new total of 15,125 cases. No additional deaths.

109 people (up five) in hospital, 11 (down 3) of those in the ICU.

Ugh, God, I live in an area where delta is just destroying us, and I am Not looking forward to next winter. I've previously mentioned that I work at a restaurant, and the indoor mask mandate doesn't do anything to stop the spread. I despise ornery anti-maskers as much as the next person, but they kind of do have a point that it's stupid to require them to wear masks in the lobby, but then be led to their seats 20 feet away where they can take their masks off for the next hour. It only works if you're, like, a grocery store or clothing outlet. Many customers come in noticeably ill, and some kind of... cold has been going around between my coworkers. It might just be stress from overwork given how short-staffed we are, but I honestly suspect that we're cultivating our own strain at this point, the place is a petri dish.

I never stopped wearing my mask or staying away from indoor areas, just because I don't let my guard down easily, and I hate that I was making a reasonable decision, and that I'm not actually paranoid or neurotic. I've definitely lost some social skills and affinity for other human beings since the pandemic began, half because of isolating myself from recreational activities and half because I work service and have seen the slimiest dredges of the barrel that holds humanity. I love the big city but I'm honestly considering moving into the countryside when I get the funds to buy my first house, and I don't care if that's before or after the pandemic ends. People can be so selfish, irresponsible, and just so blind, in cases where they don't understand that a 0.01% chance of getting heart inflammation from the vaccine is better odds than 1% chance of dying of covid. My employers have mistreated us so badly over the course of the pandemic, and the customers have been so abusive to both me and to my coworkers, and we never got raises, benefits, anything. I risk my life and the lives of others for $12k a year.

I do apologize for the negativity, but I honestly don't have anywhere else to get this off my chest-- I try to be a reassuring and positive presence when I can, and most of the time I can let the horrid details of the pandemic just wash over me, but something about tonight keeps me from taking my mind off of it. Like, we really let ourselves get here. Obviously all of that "we are the virus" is a load of **** , but ignorance, bigotry, and greed (on the part of pharmaceutical companies that refused to publicize the patents that would make the vaccine free and accessible to vastly more people and would have slowed or prevented the emergence of more dangerous variants) are definitely a disease, one that can't be cured by T-cell or inoculation. Stay safe, everyone, especially to those who are immunocompromised or work in healthcare or food service.

Against the strenuous (and in my case, very blunt and sweary) advice of the on-floor nursing staff, the nursing management team closed our COVID-19 ICU Pod not even ten days after we opened it. Given cases are projected to increase over the next fortnight, and they did this numerous times the last two waves, typically they're ignoring those of use who actually have to spend 24-48hr every few days turning the space around.

I am so *expletive* done with this shortsightedness.

Edited by Kestra15

Well that sucks, @Kestra15. What will you do with the sick people?

67 cases yesterday, 60 on my island (positivity rate 20.6%) for a new total of 15,192 cases. Three additional deaths takes that total to 295.

109 people (no change) in hospital, 11 (no change) of those in the ICU.

3 hours ago, Lagie said:

67 cases yesterday, 60 on my island (positivity rate 20.6%) for a new total of 15,192 cases. Three additional deaths takes that total to 295.

Thinking of you Lagie, ***hugs***

I used to miss Texas and thought it was a mistake to move (easier shopping, more selection, etc. ). Not so much anymore. They elect Dumb and Dumber.

@Lagie

That's really frightening in your place! Please stay safe!

@trystan @JaneMcAsh

Couldn't people who get ill due to the failed policies of the state governor try to sue him for damages?

@soullessheartofsteel

I really feel with you. I hope you can somehow stay safe nonetheless.

@Kestra15

It is a shame that the people in charge usually don't listen to the people who really know what's going on.

--------------

As of today, Friday, August 6, 09:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 69 (+3) active cases, while 10 613 (+4)  people are considered to have recovered. 375 (+-0) persons sadly died. 168 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 11 057 (+7) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 16.6 (-1.0).

Currently 6 (+2) persons are treated in hospital, with none in intensive care.

There have been 128 462 (1st jab, 60.9%) and 105 907  (2nd jab, 50.2%) vaccinations so far.

14 hours ago, Lagie said:

Well that sucks, @Kestra15. What will you do with the sick people?

We still treat them, but rather than grouping them together in one area of ICU which we isolate, they get put in separate isolation rooms across the unit. Makes it more difficult to staff (as each isolation room then needs a dedicated runner...which we don't have the staff for, and the staff in those rooms can't really leave to help other staff), wastes time in turning around the isolation area back to a normal ICU (wasting tens of thousands of pounds of equipment each time as well as man-hours), and makes individual management of each patient logistically more complex.

So many times in the first two waves they kept opening and closing these areas, it's an utter waste. And yet here we are again.

5 hours ago, Astreya said:

@trystan @JaneMcAsh

Couldn't people who get ill due to the failed policies of the state governor try to sue him for damages?

🤣🤣

pretty sure governors like DeSantis and Abbott would laugh at that! 

(oops, I told my inner cynic to shush, sorry about that....)

My workplace has said employees must wear masks, but guests don't have to. Guess we have to protect guests, but they don't care if WE get it and die. My wife has a genetic lung condition, and technically I am immunocompromised, so that's fun. ._.

Edited by Ribombee

On 8/6/2021 at 3:59 PM, trystan said:

🤣🤣

pretty sure governors like DeSantis and Abbott would laugh at that! 

(oops, I told my inner cynic to shush, sorry about that....)

Pity that. In Germany, one District Administrator currently faces a preliminary investigation for causing bodily harm by negligence and manslaughter by public prosecution because he gave out the flood warning some hours too late and thus endangered many people, some of which were killed. In the worst case he could get a prison sentence for this. [Source]

--------------

As of today, Saturday, August 7, 10:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 71 (+2) active cases, while 10 616 (+3)  people are considered to have recovered. 375 (+-0) persons sadly died. 165 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 11 062 (+5) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 16.6 (+-0.0).

Currently 7 (+1) persons are treated in hospital, with none in intensive care.

There have been 128 565 (1st jab, 60.9%) and 106 271  (2nd jab, 50.4%) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

@Astreya - see, everywhere else takes human life a little more seriously than some of the idjits in power in the US. *sigh*

Edited by trystan

23 minutes ago, trystan said:

@Astreya - see, everywhere else takes human life a little more seriously than some of the idjits in power in the US. *sigh*

I really really hate how true that is. 

55 new cases reported today. 55. Seriously? Wasn't that long ago we were averaging single-digits per week. I just... This is so stupid. This pandemic is not new and uncertain anymore, this has gone on long enough now, we *know* how to slow the spread and keep (most) people safe. It feels so frustrating and honestly so dang stupid to see this happening because we know how to prevent these big numbers now! I can't imagine anything as drastic as business closures will ever be reinstated at this point because 'economy this, economy that', but at least reinstate mask mandates and social distancing. Ugh.