trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

I received a stern lecture the other day (from someone whose business it was not!) for still not being comfortable maskless in public even though I am fully vaccinated. I shall make my own decisions about that, thank you very much!

@calona

Every person who gets vaccinated is one person more who is safe! Congrats!

@purplehaze

I really can't understand people who get offended by others wearing a mask. It's just not understandable for me. *shakes head*

At least in Germany, the infection numbers have steadily gone down and continue to do so. If you look at today's map, there is no comparison to the all dark red map of not too long ago:

Spoiler

gercovid.png

----------

As of today, Monday, June 21, 11:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 73 (-1) active cases, while 10 572 (+6)  people are considered to have recovered. 356 (+-0) persons sadly died. 212 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 11 001 (+5) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 11.9 (-0.9).

Currently 6 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with one (+-0) person in intensive care who needs artificial respiration.

There have been 105 852 (1st jab, 50.2%) and 64 958 (2nd jab, 30.8%) vaccinations so far.

[Source: Stadt Oberhausen]

Edited by Astreya

25 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

I received a stern lecture the other day (from someone whose business it was not!) for still not being comfortable maskless in public even though I am fully vaccinated. I shall make my own decisions about that, thank you very much!

Oh I can relate ! I don't know how the situation is in your country, but in mine, the obligation of wearing a mask outside was lifted a few days ago, and everyone celebrated. 😔 

I was and I'm still uncomfortable with walking from work or from the supermarket in crowded streets, with people without mask all around ... I know that apparently it's ok if it's outside, but I still feel that it's nothing but a political decision, it was so rushed !

Edit : Thank you Astreya ! 🥰

Edited by calona

44 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

I received a stern lecture the other day (from someone whose business it was not!) for still not being comfortable maskless in public even though I am fully vaccinated. I shall make my own decisions about that, thank you very much.

Masks are still law here but I had a similar lecture from a half-masked person who in fact isn't even vaccinated!

@Astreya, that map is impressively better! :D

Yeah we live in da light grey zone. :)

And the Hubby finally has an appointment for his first shot. My second is also fast approaching, gonna go this friday.

23 hours ago, Lagie said:

that map is impressively better! :D

I only hope it will stay that way. With this month's UEFA Euro and  way too many people carelessly celebrating around despite the B 1.617.2 variant (aka "Delta", the variant first discovered in India) spreading more and more, one can probably expect the infections to climb again.

@Nalyua

Yay!

----------

As of today, Tuesday, June 22, 10:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 68 (-5) active cases, while 10 579 (+7)  people are considered to have recovered. 356 (+-0) persons sadly died. 207 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 11 003 (+2) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 12.8 (+0.9).

Currently 9 (+3) persons are treated in hospitals, with 2(+1) persons in intensive care who both need artificial respiration.

There have been 105 852 (1st jab, 50.2%) and 65 762 (2nd jab, 31.2%) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

My problem, ironically, is i wear masks at work all the time that are provided for us so I tend to forget to take one out with me on the rare occasions I'm not at work. Fortunately I put a pack of disposable masks in the car, but I am constantly irritated with myself for forgetting.

Apparently the case at work is a Delta variant, and local cases continue to rise.

@Kestra15

Unfortunately the Delta variant B 1.617.2 will spread no matter which measures will be taken as it obviously has an evolutionary advantage over B 1.1.7, wild type and other "classics". And afterwards, there will certainly further, more infectious mutations that will replace B 1.617.2, too, etc. We can just try to immunise as many people as possible world-wide to decrease the reservoir for further mutations.

---------

As of today, Wednesday, June 23, 11:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 59 (-9) active cases, while 10 589 (+10)  people are considered to have recovered. 357 (+1) persons sadly died. 216 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 11 005 (+2) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 11.9 (-0.9).

Currently 7 (-2) persons are treated in hospitals, with 2(+-0) persons in intensive care who both need artificial respiration.

There have been 107 154 (1st jab, 50.8%) and 68 651 (2nd jab, 32.5%) vaccinations so far.

Oh don't worry, I know we're never going to see the end of this. I just hope it eventually becomes little more than another influenza-style disease; yearly inoculations, sensible precautions, and it'll be a rarity to see it at work.

I doubt it. But perhaps I'm just too tired by now to believe it.

3 hours ago, Kestra15 said:

Oh don't worry, I know we're never going to see the end of this.

:(

Another day of 20+ cases and now up to 244 deaths. :(

I got my 2nd shot yesterday evening (that's ~16 hours ago). I decided not to have any side effects :P, but now my skin is starting to feel achy like when I'm having a fever.

(I learned a few years ago that not everybody's body does that, so... no idea if it really is fever-related.)

I also thought I was sick (as in car sickness) when I woke up, but I guess I was just very hungry. Pro tip: don't start weight loss attempt number 378 two days before your 2nd covid vaccination. Yes, I am very smart, thank you.

In other news (not news actually), people are still fighting the government and each other instead of the pandemic. After complaining about the government not recommending masks, the government recommending masks, schools being closed, schools being open, lifting restrictions too soon and not lifting restrictions soon enough, the current discussion seems to be about how all the children will die because they can't get vaccinated yet, and how dare people suggest vaccinating innocent children with that untested DNA-mutating poison.

Also, "fun" story: a Swiss lawyer emigrated to Tanzania with his wife and six children because of Switzerland's anti-covid policies. They left without telling anybody in advance, including family, schools, coworkers, and clients. A few days after they left, some authorized representative appeared in the lawyer's office to hand in his keys and inform his partner that the guy would not be back. I guess that's a good way to make sure you're not going to be a lawyer in Switzerland again.

Switzerland is not normally a country that you have to flee from in this way. But apparently, some people now feel like it is. This is weird.

@Confused Cat

Good plan, deciding not to have side-effects :D

I did the same and ended up with 38.4°C fever and a very painful upper arm, but at least no headaches or sickness, so that was a boon. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you will be all fine ASAP, too.

In Germany, we also have numerous Covidiots who accuse the government to set up a "Corona dictatorship" and stuff like that. And we have the discussion about "they want to kill our kids by vaccinating / not vaccinating them", here, too. I heard quite some interview voices where "worried parents" said they "would never allow anyone to experiment on their children". Looks like they prefer to throw their kids into the huge experiment courtesy of mother nature to see what a fresh virus can do to children without any medical supervision.

By the way, I'm curious how much all the football-induced partying will affect the numbers in 1-2 weeks. The huge idiots (they are general idiots, not just covidiots) of the UEFA insist that they want huge audiences in the stadiums, and for the final in Wembley, they additionally insist that their VIPs shouldn't have to quarantine when visiting the match(es) in London. This is a particular stroke of genius when you look at the newly exploding numbers in the UK due to the B 1.617.2 ("Delta") variant of SARS-CoV-2.

On the plus side, in Germany we currently have a 7-day incidence of 6.6 per 100 000 people for the whole country, and there are currently "only" about 23 000 people actively infected.

On the minus side, the percentage of cases with the B 1.617.2 ("Delta") variant of SARS-CoV-2 has more than doubled since last week and now it reached 15.1% of the cases. This variant is thought to be about 60% more infective than the B 1.1.7 ("Alpha") variant, which already had pushed out the original "wild type" earlier this year. Moreover, it seems to be able to infect a certain amount of people who only had one jab of a vaccine  so far. The percentage of the Alpha variant sank from 83,5% last week to 74.1% this week.

--------

As of today, Thursday, June 24, 10:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 57 (-2) active cases, while 10 592 (+3)  people are considered to have recovered. 358 (+1) persons sadly died. 212 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 11 007 (+2) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 9.5 (-2.4).

Currently 7 (+.0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 2(+-0) persons in intensive care who both need artificial respiration.

There have been 107 155 (1st jab, 50.8%) and 69 319 (2nd jab, 32.9%) vaccinations so far.

On 6/21/2021 at 3:28 PM, purplehaze said:

About one year ago, when it was not already required to wear masks outside, I preferred to wear it anyway, and I remember once - while I was waiting to cross a street - two people came close to me and started shouting at me that I could not think with my mind, that it was because of people like me that the government would have controlled us all and so on. I simply ignored them and continue my way, but it was pretty unpleasant.

In Italy after next 28th June we won't be required to wear masks outside, whil they are always required in closed places, even for who is vaccinated.

I got my first vaccine shot 2 weeks ago (now waiting for the second), and yesterday I got my nazional green pass, that allows me to partecipate in ceremonies, conserts and other public evens with many people

We still don't know if we have any of the variants here in spite of the leader of our opposition insisting he 'discovered' them all.

Yesterday we had a worrying 60 cases from only 235 tests (positivity a whopping 25.5%) for a new overall total of 12,467, 43 of those 60 on my island. One additional death (a forty-year-old) takes that total to 245 now. :(

@Lagie

Considering that B 1.617.2 was already found in about 85 countries according to the WHO, it is quite possible that you are already dealing with it, too - and as it is more transmissible, it would be logical that the numbers go up quite a bit, too.

I bet we currently only experience the calm before the storm in Germany with the falling numbers as people call for the restrictions to be lifted when we already can detect the spread of the Delta variant doubling per week.

--------------

As of today, Friday, June 25, 11:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 63 (+6) active cases, while 10 592 (+-0)  people are considered to have recovered. 358 (+-0) persons sadly died. 204 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 11 013 (+6) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 8.1 (-1.4).

Currently 7 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 2(+-0) persons in intensive care who both need artificial respiration.

There have been 108 871 (1st jab, 51.6%) and 72 682 (2nd jab, 34.4%) vaccinations so far.

--------------

As of today, Saturday, June 26, 10:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 57 (-6) active cases, while 10 598 (+6)  people are considered to have recovered. 358 (+-0) persons sadly died. 171 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 11 013 (+-0) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 8.1 (+-0).

Currently 9 (+1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 2(+-0) persons in intensive care, 1 (-1) of them needs artificial respiration.

There have been 109 120 (1st jab, 51.7%) and 73 239 (2nd jab, 34.7%) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

Husband and I are both fully vaccinated, we both got Astra Zeneca, as that was the one available in our city.

But, neither one of us are comfortable stepping out without a mask. I think for us wearing a mask is going to become a permanent way of life.

Well, yesterday (the day after my 2nd shot of Moderna) was not great. Every part of my body was sore, I felt like I could only move at 20% speed and then I got a really bad headache for a few hours.

But today I'm surprisingly fine. So I guess it could have been worse.

1 hour ago, Confused Cat said:

Well, yesterday (the day after my 2nd shot of Moderna) was not great. Every part of my body was sore, I felt like I could only move at 20% speed and then I got a really bad headache for a few hours.

But today I'm surprisingly fine. So I guess it could have been worse.

I'm glad you're ok today ! I felt the same way, it seems that the side effects last one day for most people ! ^^

While in Germany the 7-day-incidence is still going down, the fear about importing the B 1.617.2 ("Delta") variant is rising.  Now Portugal and Russia have been put onto the red list where people who enter from there have to spend 14 days in mandatory quarantine. It seems as if the current wave in Portugal was imported there by British tourists. As Mallorca asnd Greece (which are favourite German holiday spots) decided to welcome British tourists anyway, I bet we will soon get extra Delta cases (we already have 15% of all new cases showing up as Delta) as reimports via Mallorca or Greece.

--------------

As of today, Sunday, June 27, 11:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 55 (-2) active cases, while 10 600 (+2)  people are considered to have recovered. 358 (+-0) persons sadly died. 113 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 11 013 (+-0) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 6.2 (-1.9).

Currently 8 (-1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 2(+-0) persons in intensive care, 1 (+-0) of them needs artificial respiration.

There have been 109 355 (1st jab, 51.8%) and 73 869 (2nd jab, 35.0%) vaccinations so far.

--------------

As of today, Monday, June 28, 10:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 54 (-1) active cases, while 10 601 (+1)  people are considered to have recovered. 358 (+-0) persons sadly died. 108 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 11 013 (+-0) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 4.3 (-1.9).

Currently 8 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 2(+-0) persons in intensive care, 1 (+-0) of them needs artificial respiration.

There have been 109 599 (1st jab, 51.9%) and 74 826 (2nd jab, 35.5%) vaccinations so far.

--------------

As of today, Tuesday, June 29, 14:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 57 (+3) active cases, while 10 601 (+-0)  people are considered to have recovered. 358 (+-0) persons sadly died. 108 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 11 016 (+3) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 4.7 (+0.4).

Currently 7 (-1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 2 (+-0) persons in intensive care, 1 (+-0) of them needs artificial respiration.

There have been 111 378 (1st jab, 52.8%) and 76 855 (2nd jab, 36.4%) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

welp, my state's going into lock down. We had been going so well, too. If i got the disease, i'd wouldn't get too sick as i'm young, but i live with someone who's immunocompromised, and i haven't been able to get the jab yet, due to me not being t h a t at risk. I'm rlly worried. My old grandmother is stuck here as well, and she's not vaccinated as well :[. It's kinda a good thing, as where she came from it's way worse currently.

7 hours ago, SomeRandomCorviknight said:

If i got the disease, i'd wouldn't get too sick as i'm young,

Youth does not protect you, alas. The people here dying from it are younger now than at the start. Stay safe!

So, I am not sure if I mentioned before but we had a family member that worked on the Moderna Covid-19 vaccine. A couple days ago he passed away suddenly at age 77. He wasn't sick or anything so we don't know why. He had spent decades of his life working on infectious and deadly diseases. RIP Leonard "Pug" Evans we'll see you on the other side. 😢

4 hours ago, blackmagicrose said:

So, I am not sure if I mentioned before but we had a family member that worked on the Moderna Covid-19 vaccine. A couple days ago he passed away suddenly at age 77. He wasn't sick or anything so we don't know why. He had spent decades of his life working on infectious and deadly diseases. RIP Leonard "Pug" Evans we'll see you on the other side. 😢

So sorry to hear that. :( *hugs*

@blackmagicrose

I'm sorry for your loss!

@SomeRandomCorviknight

Please stay safe!

--------------

As of today, Wednesday, June 30, 09:15 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 60 (+3) active cases, while 10 602 (+1)  people are considered to have recovered. 358 (+-0) persons sadly died. 96 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 11 020 (+4) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 6.2 (+1.5).

Currently 7 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 2 (+-0) persons in intensive care, 1 (+-0) of them needs artificial respiration.

There have been 111 637 (1st jab, 52.9%) and 77 508 (2nd jab, 36.7%) vaccinations so far.

On 6/29/2021 at 12:56 PM, Lagie said:

Youth does not protect you, alas. The people here dying from it are younger now than at the start. Stay safe!

This. The number of people in their thirties who we've lost really hits home. A lot of mothers with young children, just to really twist the knife.