trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

I got my second shot yesterday. :)

I lay awake for two hours because my arm was hurting quite a bit (still is, in fact), but apart from that, I feel fine. Let's hope it stays that way!

@Fly-by-Night

Yay! That's great, particularly as it seems that the B1.617.2 variant has the capability to evade the protection of only one jab (at least somewhat), and we need to do everything that this doesn't spread here, too.

My appointment for my second jab is tomorrow! I'll make three crosses when I will finally have had it!

----------

As of today, Tuesday, June 15, 09:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 96 (-9) active cases, while 10 527 (+10)  people are considered to have recovered. 354 (+1) persons sadly died. 226 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10 977 (+2) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 19.4 (-0.4).

Currently 7 (-1) persons are treated in hospitals, with no one in intensive care.

There have been 104 139 (1st jab, 49.4%) and 57 742 (2nd jab, 27.4%) vaccinations so far.

[Source: Stadt Oberhausen]

Edited by Astreya

I'm also looking forwards to the second shot which is next week on Friday.

The Hubby sadly hasn't got his first one yet.

I'm still waiting for my first shot, it has been a bit complicated in France but I finally got a reservation for next week 😊

8 hours ago, Fly-by-Night said:

Yup, unfortunately, I'm running a temperature now. I've cancelled my afternoon class.

Panadol, lots of water, and rest. Hope you feel better soon!

9 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Panadol, lots of water, and rest. Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks! I'm going for water and rest. I neither have nor need anything else. :) My body usually does best when it (she? ;)) isn't interfered with too much.

But I'm definitely drinking a lot of water!

@Fly-by-Night

I hope you'll be fine by tomorrow when I will get my jab :)

From what I was told, I'll get BioNTech/Pfizer tomorrow after the AstraZeneca jab from 3 months ago, so I will likely have to brace for stronger side-effects, but on the other hand, recent observations show that a heterologous vaccination seems to give a better immune reaction than a homologous vaccination, thus I'm well prepared to brace a worse reaction if the result is expected to be better. And no, I can't use either Paracetamol or any other NSAIDs as I react very badly to them. -_-'

1 minute ago, Astreya said:

@Fly-by-Night

I hope you'll be fine by tomorrow when I will get my jab :)

From what I was told, I'll get BioNTech/Pfizer tomorrow after the AstraZeneca jab from 3 months ago, so I will likely have to brace for stronger side-effects,

Not necessarily... I know two people who got that combination, and one was fine, while the other one is currently experiencing the typical side effects. I've heard of a bunch of people who got Astra and Moderna, and that seems to have been worse.

However, some countries don't currently seem to accept the Astra / Biontech combination, so there might be some hassle there.

@Fly-by-Night

Well, as I'm not really into travelling, that's fortunately no problem for me. And AFAIK there are at least two proper studies in the making that research the outcome of heterologous vaccinations with AstraZeneca 1st + mRNA 2nd, I expect this to get the proper scientific acceptance in due time, too.

The third article is promising, I just found. I hope then that I'll tolerate it well, too :D

From Feb 20021: World's first COVID-19 vaccine alternating dose study launches in UK

https://www.nihr.ac.uk/news/worlds-first-covid-19-vaccine-alternating-dose-study-launches-in-uk/26773

Heterologous prime-boost COVID-19 vaccination: initial reactogenicity data

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)01115-6/fulltext

Heterologous prime-boost immunization with AstraZeneca and Pfizer COVID-19 vaccines safe and well-tolerated, study finds

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210525/Heterologous-prime-boost-immunization-with-AstraZeneca-and-Pfizer-COVID-19-vaccines-safe-and-well-tolerated-study-finds.aspx

Thanks! I simply decided that I won't have any strong side-effects, full-stop. (Sometimes self-hypnotism works XD)

This article is interesting, too, even though it's inconclusive as the two studies mentioned have slightly different results at the moment:

Interim Data from UK Com-COV study suggest higher reactogenicity but remain inconclusive

https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/comment/interim-data-from-uk-com-cov-study-suggest-higher-reactogenicity-but-remain-inconclusive/

Some more:

Mix-and-match COVID vaccines trigger potent immune response

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01359-3

We know vaccines are working against new COVID variants. Now scientists are starting to understand why.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/vaccines-working-covid-variants-now-scientists-starting-understand/story?id=78168599

Five things to know about: Mixing and matching coronavirus vaccines

https://horizon-magazine.eu/article/five-things-know-about-mixing-and-matching-coronavirus-vaccines.html

Just stumbled over this highly interesting article:

Heterologous vaccine interventions: boosting immunity against future pandemics

https://molmed.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s10020-021-00317-z

Edited by Astreya

@Fly-by-Night

Yay! Congrats!

I'm just back from the local vaccination centre. Of course I got Moderna, not BioNTech. *sighs*

Ah well, I still decided that I refuse to suffer any side effects. *insert fanfare*

Update (Thursday):

Well, my arm has been hurting quite a bit where I was injected since yesterday evening. It feels as if a heavy weight boxer hit me there at full strength. But other than that I have no problems - neither fever, nor queasiness or any of the other problems I had after my first jab with AZ.

----------

As of today, Wednesday, June 16, 12:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 69 (-27) active cases, while 10 555 (+28)  people are considered to have recovered. 356 (+2) persons sadly died. 211 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10 980 (+3) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 19.9 (+0.4).

Currently 5 (-2) persons are treated in hospitals, with no one in intensive care.

There have been 104 148 (1st jab, 49.4%) and 58 575 (2nd jab, 27.8%) vaccinations so far.

----------

As of today, Thursday, June 17, 12:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 71 (+2) active cases, while 10 560 (+5)  people are considered to have recovered. 356 (+-0) persons sadly died. 189 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10 987 (+7) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 18.5 (-1.4).

Currently 5 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with one (+1) person in intensive care who needs artificial respiration.

There have been 104 148 (1st jab, 49.4%) and 59 283 (2nd jab, 28.1%) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

We've got our first case for a few weeks now. Here we go again...

I got my first vaccine today! I tried to book it like 00.00 on 14th June when the booking was opened for my age group, in my city, but it seems the whole site collapsed. 😹 And they say younger people are not eager to get it! Fortunately it started to work again very late on Monday evening, in any case, I managed to get mine rather quickly. I'll get the second vaccine in September.

My parents should get their second vaccines quite soon, that's such a relief for me!

@Varislapsi

That's fantastic! And I can totally feel your relief about your parents - this was my main worry, too. Luckily they were actually fully vaccinated almost two months earlier than me as they got two jabs of BioNTech, which were spaced only three weeks apart.

By the way, in my apartment I currently have 27°C and when I shivered and felt a bit cold, I took my temperature to find that I had 38.2°C. Interesting. After my first jab, I had some light temperature on the first day, but this is already the second day after the 2nd jab!  Oh, and my arm still hurts pretty badly at the injection site. I hope tomorrow the side-effects will be gone.

Update Friday - there is little a good night of sleep can't improve - my arm is still a little tender, but by far not as bad as yesterday. And my fever is gone, too.

----------

As of today, Friday, June 18, 09:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 76 (+5) active cases, while 10 560 (+-0)  people are considered to have recovered. 356 (+-0) persons sadly died. 203 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10 992 (+5) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 18.0 (-0.5).

Currently 5 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with one (+-0) person in intensive care who needs artificial respiration.

There have been 105 847 (1st jab, 50.2%) and 62 865 (2nd jab, 29.8%) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

@Astreya I'm happy for you and your parents, too! ❤️ And it's great to hear you're already feeling better. Sleep can work wonders indeed.

I didn't really expect anything (when it comes to side effects) because I've tried to stay away from the whole corona topic, for my peace of mind, except for the necessary information about restrictions and vaccination order etc., obviously. But, my arm has been quite weird... it's not a big deal for me, I just hope it works tomorrow because I should take a birthday cake to my sister and I don't want to drop it, uh-oh. 😹

12 hours ago, Astreya said:

Update Friday - there is little a good night of sleep can't improve - my arm is still a little tender, but by far not as bad as yesterday. And my fever is gone, too.

Glad you're feeling better!

In only 283 tests from Wednesday, 37 of the positives were on my island (53 overall, for a new total of 12,295!). That's way too many. And four more deaths in three days (Mon/Tues/Wed) takes that total to 241. :( It's younger people dying - 42, 57, 38, 56. The 38-year-old was too obese to be airlifted to Nassau in a timely fashion. :(

@Varislapsi

Well, I did read which possible side-effects one could expect from Moderna, but luckily I escaped most of the very common ones (like headaches which were reported by 60%). The stuff I had didn't really make me feel bad -- I just had to avoid touching my upper arm. And it was somewhat surreal that I felt cold when we currently have a heatwave with temperatures up to the mid-thirties (degrees C).

@Lagie

This sounds like you still have a very high positivity rate from the tests. We currently have a positivity rate of 2.3% (from 823 000  PCR tests conducted this week). What's more worrying is that the B 1.617.2 variant ("Delta", first detected in India) rose from 3.7% of the cases a week ago to 6.2% of the cases in this week. The B 1.1.7 variant ("Alpha", first detected in the UK) fell from 89.9% a week ago to 86.4% this week, so the displacement process is well underway.

----------

As of today, Saturday, June 19, 10:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 75 (-1) active cases, while 10 562 (+2)  people are considered to have recovered. 356 (+-0) persons sadly died. 237 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10 993 (+1) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 13.3 (-4.7).

Currently 5 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with one (+-0) person in intensive care who needs artificial respiration.

There have been 105 847 (1st jab, 50.2%) and 63 598 (2nd jab, 30.1%) vaccinations so far.

----------

As of today, Sunday, June 2ß, 11:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 74 (-1) active cases, while 10 566 (+4)  people are considered to have recovered. 356 (+-0) persons sadly died. 211 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10 996 (+3) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 12.8 (-0.5).

Currently 6 (+1) persons are treated in hospitals, with one (+-0) person in intensive care who needs artificial respiration.

There have been 105 852 (1st jab, 50.2%) and 64 279 (2nd jab, 30.5%) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

@Astreya I wouldn't notice headache or feeling cold despite the heat (it's way too hot in Finland, too) because that would be just usual me hahah. 😹 But I lost completely all the strenght on my arm yesterday evening! It's much better already, I can lift it to almost shoulder height so hopefully I will manage that cake tomorrow. In any case, my mother promised to meet me at the train station at least and give me a hand so it should be fine.

5 hours ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

This sounds like you still have a very high positivity rate from the tests. We currently have a positivity rate of 2.3% (from 823 000  PCR tests conducted this week). What's more worrying is that the B 1.617.2 variant ("Delta", first detected in India) rose from 3.7% of the cases a week ago to 6.2% of the cases in this week. The B 1.1.7 variant ("Alpha", first detected in the UK) fell from 89.9% a week ago to 86.4% this week, so the displacement process is well underway.

Yup, still a high positivity rate, alas.  And we don't even know yet if we have any of the variants here.

I finally got my first vaccine ! 
I was just a bit tired afterwards, and my arm was a little painful when I moved it, but really that was nothing and I'm so happy that the first one is done ! 😊

4 hours ago, calona said:

I finally got my first vaccine ! 
I was just a bit tired afterwards, and my arm was a little painful when I moved it, but really that was nothing and I'm so happy that the first one is done ! 😊

Congrats! :)

Our numbers continue to rise and our death toll, too. :( And people here are still not getting vaccinated. It's so frustrating.