trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

Wuhan.

but please provide links when you state something.

your opinion is just that... what you think.  but facts should have links to back them up.

umm. I'll get right on that. And I  say that with all due respect Trystan. If you're interested, google Xi Jinging and corona virus. They'll have whatever. 🙃

Edited by Suzan

My opinion, just my opinion not intending to speak for anyone else.

I prefer to believe science, facts, and provable references - NOT gossip rumor or hearsay. The virus does appear to have originated in China, but I don't believe any human is responsible for its appearance. 

No one person is to be blamed for the virus, but each one of us is responsible for our reaction to it. Some of us may have behaved differently if we weren't following the lead of those who chose not to take it seriously. I have lost my sister (67), brother-in-law (80), and my best friend (68). I am 70 so I do take it seriously. Those who think that it's ok for the elderly to die, should look around and be sure that there are no elderly or people with preexisting conditions in their lives that they consider worthwhile, and also recognize that some younger healthier persons are getting long term complications from it. I wouldn't want that for anyone. I don't want to point fingers, I just want us to cooperate and fight it together. 

5 minutes ago, RainDear said:

I have lost my sister (67), brother-in-law (80), and my best friend (68).

OMGs, i am SO sorry to read this!  teal_hugs.gif.3a30776d5e6eb17d2445db29d3075a24.gif

there's been a few deaths in my family this year, from the 22-year-old daughter of my cousin at the beginning of April (cause is still unknown to anyone but her parents), to my 77-year-old dad at the end of April (his health had been out of whack i think since his memory hadn't been doing well) to my mother-inlaw's sister, who was either in her late 60s or early 70s in September from covid.  there were two kitties - one of old age (he was 17, almost 18 - we had him for 11 years) on march 1, and then a cat hubby knew for about 6 hours.  it's been a rough year.

12 minutes ago, RainDear said:

I just want us to cooperate and fight it together. 

we have to, we're all we have left.  hopefully things will change in january, and science will again be at the forefront of our response to this virus

RainDear, you're amazing. You're right No human is in charge. And I would give up my dose for whoever needed it most. I'm 69, so I'm right there  with ya Bud.So sorry for your losses. Thanks for reminding me of the big picture!

Thank you all for the support and kindness. This forum is almost like an extended family for me. I love you all.

@RainDear

I'm so sorry to hear about the scope of your loss. *sends even more strength and positive energy*

@trystan

I'm really sorry to read how bad a time you had to go through, too. *sending you lots of positive energy, too*

@Suzan

I'm afraid the things you post don't fit with the information I gathered (and I'm usually reading a lot of scientific reports). Prof.Dr.Christian Drosten from the Charité in Berlin researched Corona viruses for almost 20 years (he belonged to the researchers who identified the original SARS-CoV in 2002 and he researched MERS-CoV from 2012 on) and his research pointed to SARS-CoV2 as just another classical zoonosis that jumped from an animal host to humans.

Edited by Astreya

2 hours ago, RainDear said:

No one person is to be blamed for the virus, but each one of us is responsible for our reaction to it. Some of us may have behaved differently if we weren't following the lead of those who chose not to take it seriously. I have lost my sister (67), brother-in-law (80), and my best friend (68). I am 70 so I do take it seriously. Those who think that it's ok for the elderly to die, should look around and be sure that there are no elderly or people with preexisting conditions in their lives that they consider worthwhile, and also recognize that some younger healthier persons are getting long term complications from it. I wouldn't want that for anyone. I don't want to point fingers, I just want us to cooperate and fight it together. 

So much loss. I am sorry.

It makes me very angry to hear the people who don't believe it is serious, including some who survived it (Trump and Giuliani among others). Just because you recovered does not mean that everyone will! It is not curable at this point, although we have learned a lot about how to treat it.

I doubt there are any of us who have not lost someone we knew. I know there have been several for me, although no one in my family or close friends.

I agree that we need to fight it together. The virus knows nothing of politics. Wearing a mask (or not) to protect yourself and others should not be viewed as a political statement. It is something we just all need to do to control the spread until we get it under control. Our leadership in this country has failed us dreadfully. And I'm sorry, but I have no objection at this point to pointing fingers! A President who sits in the White House and pouts and spreads disinformation about the election (and the pandemic) and has done nothing else since Nov. 3rd, instead of taking action against the worsening toll from the virus needs to be called out for it! He and his Republican enablers have the blood of thousands of Americans on their hands!

9 hours ago, Suzan said:

umm. I'll get right on that. And I  say that with all due respect Trystan. If you're interested, google Xi Jinging and corona virus. They'll have whatever. 🙃

When you put forth a statement like this it is your job to provide links to your sources, not ask those challenging your opinion to do your research for you. The opinions you have posted here have been repeatedly debunked by people in this thread, and you are spreading very dangerous misinformation when you post things like this, things that are false. The virus is zoonotic, as Astreya said, and originated in China, but was not created in a lab. You are posting things that were debunked back in April. 

@RainDear I am very sorry for your loss. I was truly hoping your sister would pull through. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

Please, everyone, wear a mask, social distance, and don't travel for the holidays if you can possibly help it!

@RainDear So sorry for your multiple losses! 

We've been lucky ... so far... I'm 72 & hubby is 74 and a polio survivor, so we've been staying away from everyone since this started. We do see our son & family who live near us - but he's working from home & kids are doing remote school. They are isolating since the youngest has childhood epilepsy. Daughter in Florida didn't speak to us for a few weeks when we refused to fly to Florida or let them come here (Texas) for Thanksgiving. She's out of work & stressed (10m old daughter) but It was just too much risk.

@JaneMcAsh

I'm sorry you had a fall-out with your daughter because you followed science and common sense.

But I think after there are enough people vaccinated to achieve herd-immunity and there is proper medication available to keep the disease in check (I'm fairly confident there will be as there is massive research going on world-wide), she will be happy that you have kept safe and are still alive to meet with her and her kid a bit later.

---------------------------------------

In Germany the numbers are rocketing, too. They really have to put stricter policies in action ASAP, best advise a full lock down and isolation for Christmas, too. One SPD politician correctly asked the AfD and other lockdown opponents in the Bundestag: "How many deaths is your [Christmas] shopping experience worth?"

germany.png

German news channel n-tv posted 26 755 new cases (they cut off their daily data on 24:00, hence their numbers might slightly differ from the RKI that has a slightly different cut-off time) and 509 more deaths. [Source]

On TV I just saw that the RKI reported

- new infections within the last 24 hours: 29 875,

- actively infected persons 309 000,

- R-value 0.90,

- deaths 20 770 (since the beginning of the pandemic),

- people in intensive care: 4339.

---------------------------------------

More locally, here's my update for yesterday (today is due in a couple hours - they currently have other problems than update their website early, I presume), At least when I shopped for food and some other necessities (I don't do XMas myself), all people here and in front of the supermarket duly wore their masks and tried to keep their distance.

Nonetheless, the city urgently appealed to be more diligent as the number of people in the hospitals reached a new high (this follows the new infections by about two weeks, though, so the current hospitalised cases are from about two weeks ago).

-------------

As of Thursday, December 10, 16:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 545 (+14) active cases, while 2901 (+22) people are considered to have recovered. 1273 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 3497 (+10)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 153.0 (-17.8.).

Currently 150 (+14) persons are treated in hospitals, with 16 (+1) of them in intensive care, 9 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration. 51 (+2) persons sadly died.

All in all there have been 57 317 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Today the crisis management team updated the website with more dire news. We have 167 new infections and 6 more persons fell victim to this terrible virus, the highest number so far since the beginning of the pandemic.

-------------

As of today, Friday, December 11, 12:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 621 (+76) active cases, while 2986 (+85) people are considered to have recovered. 1363 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 3664 (+167)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 163.7 (-10.7).

Currently 144 (-6) persons are treated in hospitals, with 15 (-1) of them in intensive care, 10 (+1) of these needing artificial respiration. 57 (+6) persons sadly died.

All in all there have been 57 469 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Update:

-------------

As of today, Saturday, December 12, 10:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 675 (+54) active cases, while 3037 (+51) people are considered to have recovered. 1463 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 3769 (+105)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 180.3 (+16.6).

Currently 156 (+12) persons are treated in hospitals, with 18 (+3) of them in intensive care, 10 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration. 57 persons sadly died.

All in all there have been 57 469 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

[Source: Stadt Oberhausen]

Edited by Astreya

On 12/11/2020 at 9:28 AM, Astreya said:

In Germany the numbers are rocketing, too. They really have to put stricter policies in action ASAP, best advise a full lock down and isolation for Christmas, too. One SPD politician correctly asked the AfD and other lockdown opponents in the Bundestag: "How many deaths is your [Christmas] shopping experience worth?"

In my opinion it is irresponsible that they won't close down schools. I'm a teacher and seeing 500 kids everyday who are still kids and forget that they're supposed to keep a distance. They also don't understand why it's okay for them to come to school squeezed together on public transport or why it's okay for them to sit close together in class but they aren't allowed to play. And I can't blame them.

I know that parents need to work and that schools are free childcare but they could at least switch the older ones, who can stay home alone, to remote schooling. I'm more than happy to support that even if it means doing double the work!

@blah

Yeah, the school and kita (=child care) situation puzzles me, too. The Oberhausen website always lists the number of infected kids, teachers and carers separately, and there you can see that these numbers are significant, as well:

Spoiler

12 Dec 2020:

Schulen und Kitas
Weitere Fälle an folgenden Schulen (ab 11. Dezember):
Fasia-Jansen-Gesamtschule: 2 Schüler/Schülerinnen infiziert, 30 Schüler/Schülerinnen bis 22. Dezember in Quarantäne

Weitere Fälle in folgenden Kitas (ab 11. Dezember):
KTE St. Katharina: 1 pädagogische Fachkraft infiziert, 20 Kinder und 1 pädagogische Fachkraft bis 21. Dezember in Quarantäne
Villa Kunterbunt: 1 pädagogische Fachkraft infiziert, 19 Kinder und 2 pädagogische Fachkräfte bis 23. Dezember in Quarantäne

Im Freiherr-vom-Stein-Gymnasium und in der KTE Alsfeld finden derzeit noch Ermittlungen statt.

Aktuell befinden sich 384 (352) Schülerinnen und Schüler sowie 32 (13) pädagogische Fachkräfte in Quarantäne, im Bereich der Kindertageseinrichtungen sind es 196 (153) Kinder sowie 37 (33) pädagogische Fachkräfte.

----------------

11 Dec 2020:

Schulen und Kitas
Weitere Fälle an folgenden Schulen (ab 10. Dezember):

• Hans-Böckler-Berufskolleg: 1 Schüler/Schülerin infiziert, 7 Schüler/Schülerinnen bis 20. Dezember in Quarantäne
  • Hans-Böckler-Berufskolleg: 1 Schüler/Schülerin infiziert, 6 Schüler/Schülerinnen bis 22. Dezember in Quarantäne
  • Kastellschule: 1 pädagogische Fachkraft infiziert, 14 Schüler/Schülerinnen und 1 pädagogische Fachkraft bis 21. Dezember in Quarantäne
  • Brüder-Grimm-Schule: 1 pädagogische Fachkraft infiziert, 1 pädagogische Fachkraft bis 17. Dezember in Quarantäne
  • Schule am Froschenteich: 1 Schüler/Schülerin infiziert, 27 Schüler/Schülerinnen und 3 pädagogische Fachkräfte bis 14. Dezember in Quarantäne
  • Bertha-von-Suttner-Gymnasium: 1 Schüler/Schülerin infiziert, 12 Schüler/Schülerinnen bis 21. Dezember in Quarantäne

Weitere Fälle in folgenden Kitas (ab 10. Dezember)

• KTE Holten: 1 Kind infiziert, 13 Kinder und 6 pädagogische Fachkräfte bis 16. Dezember in Quarantäne
  • KTE Schatzkiste: 1 pädagogische Fachkraft infiziert, 1 pädagogische Fachkraft bis 17. Dezember in Quarantäne
  • Villa Kunterbunt II: 1 pädagogische Fachkraft infiziert, 18 Kinder und 1 pädagogische Fachkraft bis 20. Dezember in Quarantäne

Aktuell befinden sich 352 (320) Schülerinnen und Schüler sowie 13 (8) pädagogische Fachkräfte in Quarantäne, im Bereich der Kindertageseinrichtungen sind es 153 (156) Kinder sowie 33 (20) pädagogische Fachkräfte.

---------------

9 Dec 2020

Schulen und Kitas
Weitere Fälle an folgenden Schulen (ab 9. Dezember):
Sophie-Scholl-Gymnasium: 1 Schüler infiziert, 110 Schülerinnen und Schüler bis 16.12. in Quarantäne

Weitere Fälle in folgender Kita:

KTE Holten: eine Pflegekraft infiziert, zwei weitere Kinder und eine weitere Pflegekraft bis 15.12. in Quarantäne (hierbei handelt es sich um einen Folgefall: für 39 Kinder und 4 Pflegekräfte war bereits Quarantäne angeordnet  worden.

Aktuell befinden sich 320 (230) Schülerinnen und Schüler sowie 8 (9) Pädagogische Fachkräfte in Quarantäne, im Bereich der Kindertageseinrichtungen sind es 156 (133) Kinder sowie 20 (18) Pädagogische Fachkräfte.

-------------

8 Dec 2020:

Schulen und Kitas
Weitere Fälle an folgenden Schulen (seit gestern, 8. Dezember):

Heinrich-Böll-Gesamtschule: 2 Schüler/innen (SuS) infiziert, 23 SuS bis zum 16.12. in Quarantäne;
Hirschkampschule: 1 Schüler infiziert, 28 SuS und 5 Pädagogische Fachkräfte (PF) bis zum 16.12. in Quarantäne;

Weitere Fälle an folgenden Kitas:
KTE St. Katharina: 1 PF infiziert, 21 Kinder und 2 PF bis zum 14.12. in Quarantäne

Aktuell befinden sich 230 (212) Schülerinnen und Schüler sowie 9 (6) Pädagogische Fachkräfte in Quarantäne, im Bereich der Kindertageseinrichtungen sind es 133 (131) Kinder sowie 18 (18) Pädagogische Fachkräfte.

-----------

7 Dec 2020:

Schulen und Kitas

Weitere Fälle an folgenden Schulen (ab 4. Dezember):
Landwehrschule: ein/e Schüler/in infiziert, 18 Schüler/innen (SuS) bis 13.12. in Quarantäne;
Schule an der Hagedornstraße: eine Pädagogische Fachkraft (PF) infiziert, 25 SuS und 2 PF bis 16.12. in Quarantäne;
Astrid-Lindgren-Schule: eine PF infiziert, 28 SuS bis 15.12. in Quarantäne. Hinweis: Es handelt sich um dieselbe Index-Person wie an der Schule an der Hagedornstraße;
Hans Böckler-Berufskolleg: ein Schüler infiziert, 5 SuS bis 17.12. in Quarantäne.

In den folgenden Schulen finden derzeit Ermittlungen statt: Sophie-Scholl-Gymnasium, Hirschkampschule und Heinrich-Böll-Gesamtschule.

Weitere Fälle an folgenden Kitas:
KTE Holten: eine PF infiziert, 39 Kinder und 4 PF bis 16.12. in Quarantäne;
KTE Heilig Geist: 1 PF infiziert, 15 Kinder und 2 PF bis 15.12. in Quarantäne;
KTE Die Arche: eine PF infiziert, 18 Kinder und 3 PF bis 17.12. in Quarantäne;

Aktuell befinden sich 212 (166) Schülerinnen und Schüler sowie 6 (4) Pädagogische Fachkräfte in Quarantäne, im Bereich der Kindertageseinrichtungen sind es 131 (78) Kinder sowie 18 (11) Pädagogische Fachkräfte.

You get the gist...

Full info here:  https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

(I just c+p'd the German language stuff - Schüler/Schülerin(nen)/SuS = pupil(s), pädagogische Fachkraft/PF = teacher/carer, Kinder = children)

By the way, here's a pretty good summary about what is know about the origins of SARS-CoV2 so far:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/12/where-did-coronavirus-come-from-covid

And this article details the first weeks of the pandemic as it developed in Wuhan:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/10/birth-of-a-pandemic-inside-the-first-weeks-of-the-coronavirus-outbreak-in-wuhan

-------------

As of today, Sunday, December 13, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 702 (+27) active cases, while 3072 (+35) people are considered to have recovered. 1416 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 3833 (+64)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 185.0 (+4.2).

Currently 161 (+5) persons are treated in hospitals, with 18 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 6 (-4) of these needing artificial respiration. 59 (+2) persons sadly died.

All in all there have been 58 240 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

-------------

As of today, Monday, December 14, 12:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 710 (+8.) active cases, while 3127 (+55) people are considered to have recovered. 1329 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 3896 (+63)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 205.4 (+10.4).

Currently 163 (+2) persons are treated in hospitals, with 16 (-2) of them in intensive care, 5 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration. 59 persons sadly died.

All in all there have been 58 905 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

-------------

As of today, Tuesday, December 15, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 719 (+9) active cases, while 3189 (+62) people are considered to have recovered. 1444 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 3969 (+73)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 209.7 (+4.3).

Currently 163 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 18 (+2) of them in intensive care, 8 (+3) of these needing artificial respiration. 61 (+2) persons sadly died.

All in all there have been 59 261 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

-------------

As of today, Wednesday, December 16, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 699 (-20) active cases, while 3290 (+101) people are considered to have recovered. 1528 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 4053 (+84)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 214.9 (+5.2).

Currently 176 (+13) persons are treated in hospitals, with 17 (-1) of them in intensive care, 9 (+1) of these needing artificial respiration. 64 (+3) persons sadly died.

All in all there have been 59 406 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

-------------

As of today, Thursday, December 17, 14:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 720 (+21) active cases, while 3341 (+51) people are considered to have recovered. 1598 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 4131 (+78)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 205.4 (-9.5).

Currently 178 (+2) persons are treated in hospitals, with 19 (+2) of them in intensive care, 10 (+1) of these needing artificial respiration. 70 (+6) persons sadly died.

All in all there have been 59 913 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

This is getting more and more deadly - yesterday six more persons died, and today there even ten more casualties! :(

-------------

As of today, Friday, December 18, 12:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 804 (+84) active cases, while 3428 (+87) people are considered to have recovered. 1796 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 4312 (+181)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 253.4 (+28.0).

Currently 194 (+16) persons are treated in hospitals, with 17 (-2) of them in intensive care, 9 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration. 80 (+10) persons sadly died.

All in all there have been 60 012 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Day 4 of the second lockdown. Of course it will take at least 1-2 weeks more until an effect will show.

-------------

As of today, Saturday, December 19, 12:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 907 (+103) active cases, while 3485 (+57) people are considered to have recovered. 2004 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 4473 (+161)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 268.5 (+15.1).

Currently 197 (+3) persons are treated in hospitals, with 18 (+1) of them in intensive care, 10 (+1) of these needing artificial respiration. 81 (+1) persons sadly died.

All in all there have been 60 116 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Edited by Astreya

Emergency UK Christmas Covid rules have just been announced. I'm staying put and won't be affected by the 4th tier system but its going to be interesting to see how this all plays out, considering many people had plans during the now redundant '5-day Christmas bubble window'.

Well I'm an essential retail worker now stuck in a tier 4 area (south east England), but with our Christmas plans afaik we aren't changing them cause all we were going to do is have our nan over a few days since we recently lost granddad and she suffers from alzheimer's so realistically she can't be left alone (her carer is spending christmas with her family).

Truth be told I don't see the point in a new tier since a lot of people haven't been following the rules anyway, hypocritical since we are breaking 1 rule for Christmas but at the same time we have been following the rules since March....I mean hell in the store i work in about a third of the customers coming in don't even wear masks while I do yet me and my family get punished for their negligence? 

Switzerland is doing bad, and now that a vaccine was approved, I'm afraid people will be even more careless. Of course Mr. Berset said that we still have to follow the rules etc. because it will be months (at least) before enough people have been vaccinated, but it looks like the Swiss are not very good at following pandemic-related rules. (But very good at finding reasons not to close businesses.)

In Germany, Doctors and medical unions etc have been warning for weeks that people should not do big Christmas celebrations, but there are always many irresponsible people here, too. It will take far into Spring until the most vulnerable and essential workers will be vaccinated, it seems - and what people need to understand is that the begin of the vaccinations isn't the end of the pandemic as the people need to get vaccinated first - and the protection only starts properly some days after the second jab, that is about a month after the first jab.

I will stay home alone this year, which for me is fortunate, as I'm a real "Weihnachtsmuffel" (someone who really doesn't like celebrating Christmas with the family), and this year I finally have a good reason not to meet the family there and there is no one who will be annoyed that I don't socialise. ANd frankly, I'm also pretty happy that there will not be any big New Years celebrations either. I hope they will fig out some nice firewerk preserves from past years on TV, then I can watch fireworks there. ^^

I'm just afraid for my parents - they will go to visit my brother, and he just told me that he had a big birthday celebration from yesterday to tonight (as his birthday is Dec 20) and sadly he belongs to the irresponsible persons, too. I wish my parents would skip the Christmas celebrations at his place as well, but my father insists to go, no matter what. Ah well, they are grown up and of course don't listen to me.

Meanwhile, Oberhausen is breaking records for new infections with every day. Today we are in the 5th day of the lockdown, and the numbers are rising and rising. Hopefully this trend will finally go down after the next week, when the first results are to be expected.

-------------

As of today, Sunday, December 20, 09:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 962 (+55) active cases, while 3545 (+60) people are considered to have recovered. 2397 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 4588 (+115)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 313.65 (+45.1).

Currently 192 (-5) persons are treated in hospitals, with 20 (+2) of them in intensive care, 11 (+1) of these needing artificial respiration. 81 persons sadly died.

All in all there have been 60 170 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

germany.png

Source: n-tv

Edited by Astreya

25 minutes ago, Astreya said:

I will stay home alone this year, which for me is fortunate, as I'm a real "Weihnachtsmuffel" (someone who really doesn't like celebrating Christmas with the family), ...

You mean there's an actual word for people like me? That is so cool, thank you!

Our numbers have been under twenty for a couple of weeks now, some days even single digits which is good. There was a tiny spike after Thanksgiving (which isn't even a local tradition). It will be interesting to see what happens after Christmas and New Year's.

Stay safe, all of you in those scary red places!

@Lagie

I have to admit that I was surprised that there wasn't a proper English word for "Weihnachtsmuffel"!

It's good to hear that things seem to improve in your place at the moment. I really hope that we will manage to turn the corner soon, too.

9 hours ago, Astreya said:

Weihnachtsmuffel

9 hours ago, Lagie said:

You mean there's an actual word for people like me? That is so cool, thank you!

Grinch? :D

1 hour ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Grinch? :D

Nah. I like Christmas, I just find the family stuff a little overwhelming. I like the sound of Weihnachtsmuffel. It has a nice rhythm to it.

And I wonder just how many people are at the birthday party outside here... ? (Ten is our limit right now.)

My birthday party was my GF, me and our cats - 1 household :D

@Ruby Eyes

Belated Happy Birthday!

I'm not going to celebrate my birthday at all - I haven't done so for ages as I'm always puzzled why one should celebrate that one is getting another year closer to death. XD

Update. Great. Now Oberhausen is "the" hotspot in NRW with an incidence of 342.1 per 100 000 citizens.

-------------

As of today, Monday, December 21, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 998 (+36) active cases, while 3598 (+53) people are considered to have recovered. 2405 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 4677 (+89)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 342.1 (+28.5).

Currently 194 (+2) persons are treated in hospitals, with 23 (+3) of them in intensive care, 10 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration. 81 persons sadly died.

All in all there have been 60 303 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Edited by Astreya

8 hours ago, Astreya said:

I'm not going to celebrate my birthday at all - I haven't done so for ages as I'm always puzzled why one should celebrate that one is getting another year closer to death. XD

I'm kinda a decade over that date. I never expected to actually turn 30 to begin with - that's just one effect of depression. Hence, every additional year is a small victory. :)