trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

47 minutes ago, RainDear said:

The doctor just called to ask who has her Power of Attorney.

If you believe, please pray - pray not just for her to live - pray instead for the outcome that is best for her - whatever that may be. If you don't believe, please just send loving thoughts her way.

I'm so sorry. *sends loving thoughts to both of you*

@RainDear

This is so horrible for your family. I really wish all the best for your sister!

I think I know what you mean that you want her to have the outcome that will be the very best for her.

My parents put together a healthcare proxy paper for me and my brother and they asked us to decide in their stead about medical measures if need be - but they told us that they definitely wouldn't want to be kept on machines if there is no hope only because my brother or I wouldn't want to let them go. They said if it was their time to go, it would give them peace, even if it would hurt the others from the family as a death hurts the survivors most, but less the ones who pass on.

-------------

As of today, Tuesday, December 8, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 571 (+19) active cases, while 2826 (+59) people are considered to have recovered. 1107 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 3444 (+77)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 184.6 (+12.4).

Currently 137 (+20) persons are treated in hospitals, with 11 (+1) of them in intensive care, 6 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration. 47 persons sadly died (one person was deleted from the statistic as the original Covid fast test was negative after all).

All in all there have been 56 957 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

-------------

As of today, Wednesday, December 9, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 559 (+12) active cases, while 2879 (+53) people are considered to have recovered. 1165 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 3487 (+43)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 170.8 (-13.8.).

Currently 136 (-1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 15 (+4) of them in intensive care, 10 (+4) of these needing artificial respiration. 49 (+2) persons sadly died.

All in all there have been 57 173 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

[Source: Stadt Oberhausen]

Edited by Astreya

@RainDear Sending loving thoughts and prayers for your whole family.

4 hours ago, RainDear said:

If you believe, please pray - pray not just for her to live - pray instead for the outcome that is best for her - whatever that may be. If you don't believe, please just send loving thoughts her way.

i'm sending lots of healing thoughts and hugs your way.

Sigh... Well, now we've all had it. My Daughter is so sick. An old friend of mine died a couple months ago. Just makes me wonder, when will it end? The president can't stop it. No one can stop it. no one can make it stop.

@RainDear You, your sister, and your family will be in my thoughts.

I don't know when this will end, but it will. There is always light at the end of trying times. We'll get through this, we have to take precautions, stay safe, stay positive, and look out for one another. 

@RainDear Sending loving thoughts to you, your sister and the rest of your family!

Edited by JaneMcAsh

4 hours ago, Suzan said:

Sigh... Well, now we've all had it. My Daughter is so sick. An old friend of mine died a couple months ago. Just makes me wonder, when will it end? The president can't stop it. No one can stop it. no one can make it stop.

I'm sad to read about your plight!

And while Mr.Trump obviously doesn't care about the suffering of the people in the US and doesn't act to alleviate the pandemic, it appears as if President-elect Joe Biden puts the necessary people and measures in place to properly fight against SARS-CoV2. Personally I have high hopes that the advent of the various vaccines will be able to stop the pandemic by the end of 2021.

In the UK, they started with the vaccinations today, so there is light at the end of the tunnel. It is just to hope that there will not be too many anti-vaxxers around who would undermine such efforts (world-wide, that is).

Right now the "second wave" in Germany is frightening, too, and the Minister Presidents of the most afflicted Länder/states will likely set up stricter lockdown measures as the numbers here are still increasing (in Germany, health is a matter of the Länder, no a Federal matter). And one must never forget that the numbers are not numbers, but people with family who who suffer.

Update: I just heard on TV (ntv news) that there is a new medication, Molnupiravir, which was so far given to ferrets where it seems to suppress Covid-19 within 24 hours (that is, the  ferrets weren't infectious anymore)! Phase 2/3 Studies are currently under way.

Edited by Astreya

@Ruby Eyes

Considering the fact that ferrets and minks (mustelidae in general) are no "viral dead-ends" for SARS-CoV2 (that is, they can both be infected by humans and in return infect humans, too), they are used to research the virus in the first place. Thus it makes sense that there is a good chance that a substance that works in ferrets can work in humans, too - hence the ongoing Phase 2 and 3 studies with currently about 1000 humans.

Edited by Astreya

7 hours ago, Astreya said:

And while Mr.Trump obviously doesn't care about the suffering of the people in the US and doesn't act to alleviate the pandemic, it appears as if President-elect Joe Biden puts the necessary people and measures in place to properly fight against SARS-CoV2.

take whatever it is that you know about world leaders and how they are supposed to behave, the images they should project, the good, compassion, empathy and concern that they ought to show towards the people of their country and the greater world - trump tosses that all out the window.  he's brash, arrogant, self-centered, and unsympathetic to anything that doesn't make his life better. trump gets the best care for himself when he had the virus, and now he's making sure his friend - guiliani - gets all the good stuff too.  neverminding all the other brown or black or poor (or combination of those) communities that are torn apart by this virus because they just don't have the access to this stuff.  oh, and that Scott Atlas guy, promoting herd immunity. (herd stupidity is more like it)

as for Biden, he's more what people would expect from the leader of the US, and he has doctors and virologists, and people who KNOW what they're talking about... and Anthony Fauci has agreed to still be Chief Medical Adviser. yaay!

On 12/7/2020 at 7:03 AM, RainDear said:

I am wondering right now whether with Covid and visits being impossible how often the absence of our loved ones by our side contributes to people just giving up the fight and letting go, because their anchors to this life aren't there to hold them here. 

I am very sure this is true!

On 12/7/2020 at 7:03 AM, RainDear said:

I am sorry to hear that it has come to this. I am praying for her and for you and the rest of your family.

I am sorry to report that she has gone. Her lungs were so damaged that even on a ventilator they couldn't get her oxygen levels up to a life sustaining level. The chance of brain damage was so high that it was decided to let her go. None of us was able to be there, but the nurse put her phone to her ear so her daughter could give her our loving messages and then the nurse held her hand so she wouldn't die alone.

During the 1918 pandemic the president didn't really get involved because he was attending to the war, but he didn't interfere with the measures of the local officials. If Trump had done that or tried to unite the country to fight it, we might have made better progress with it. If we can get together and cooperate in the battle, we can get it under control. We have to work together.

Thank everyone for your loving, supportive messages. It means so much.

Edited by RainDear

i'm so sorry to read this RainDear.

we have to work together, and wear masks and do everything we can to do beat this virus back.  it's up to us now.

@RainDear sorry to read this😭 

I wish you the strength to get through this. Remember that the body is only a temporary vessel, and the soul is eternal.

All this news about the death of young and middle-aged people is shocking😟

@RainDear I am so sorry for your loss.

This plus 2500+ others in the US in the last day. :(

@RainDear

I'm really sorry for your loss. I hope you and your family find the strength to get you through the hard days ahead as it is not death itself that hurts most, but all the days the loved one is missed. *sends you good wishes and positive energy*

@RainDear Sending you lots of sympathy & virtual hugs. Take care of yourself & other family members as you mourn... Remember the good times you had together!

So sorry to hear that, @RainDear. :( *hugs*

The numbers in the US are seriously sad. 3,056 dead in just one day. :(

And the case numbers:

Screenshot_20201208-210305.jpg.fb522061957e4d987a904ba0211b49df.jpg

Here, we had December 6th with no reported cases! And single digit days since then, I think. Mind you, that's reported numbers, so actual cases are usually higher.

i saw that as the maps were popping up on the tv.  this country is INSANE.  can i have a new one, please?

If there's one person to blame for this, it's Xi Jinping. HE has ordered 19 viruses to be invented in China. That's why it's called " covid 19" He loves that Trump is being blamed for this. It's a long story, but I feel that no one, not even the President of the United States, can stop it.

for what hon?   If you mean the Chinese virus just google Xi Jinping.d us everything. There's a chinese scientist that became a whistleblower and tol

Edited by Suzan

5 minutes ago, Suzan said:

it's Xi Jinping. HE has ordered 19 viruses to be invented in China. That's why it's called " covid 19"

for that^

i've got this: 

~Research shows COVID-19 was not manufactured in a lab (https://apnews.com/article/9391149002 ) from september

~Fact check: Coronavirus not man-made or engineered but its origin remains unclear (https://www.swtimes.com/story/news/2020/10/29/fact-check-coronavirus-not-man-made-or-engineered-but-its-origin-remains-unclear/42908315/ ) from october

it's called COVID-19 because it was discovered in 2019 - https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical-guidance/naming-the-coronavirus-disease-(covid-2019)-and-the-virus-that-causes-it

Edited by trystan
to make links clickable

for me and me only, I believe that China has been responsible for 19 viruses. I find it odd that the entire city of Muhan {?} was evacuated just before this all started. But that's just me. We all have our own opinions, thank goodness!