trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

@trystan

True. They are able to twist everything to their beliefs. And for the record: Weather != climate

-------------

As of today, Saturday, January 16, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 695 (+11) active cases, while 5402 (+27) people are considered to have recovered. 186 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1057 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6283 (+38) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 136.6 (-17.6).

Currently 116 (+11) persons are treated in hospitals, with 14 (+1) of them in intensive care, 9 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 68 745 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 3036 vaccinations so far, today and tomorrow 500 more are planned.

-------------

As of today, Sunday, January 17, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 685 (-10) active cases, while 5440 (+38) people are considered to have recovered. 186 (+-0) persons sadly died. 980 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6311 (+28) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 136.2 (-0.4).

Currently 113 (-3) persons are treated in hospitals, with 14 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 12 (+3) of these needing artificial respiration.

There have been 3144 vaccinations so far, today and tomorrow 646 more are planned.

[Source: Stadt Oberhausen]

Edited by Astreya

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

And for the record: Weather != climate

weather =/= climate, i think

and you're preaching to the choir with that.

my boss on the other hand.... it's cold here, so global warming isn't a thing.

and covid was started in a lab in Wuhan, and the government wants us to think it's a pandemic. (i'm like whaaat??)

edit - i had mentioned something about that the WHO is going into China to investigate the beginnings of covid, and my boss made a sarcastic comment like "wow, only after a year!" and i said "these things take time... and there is a pandemic happening...." and she replies "that's what they want you think..." and i'm all 🤔

Edited by trystan
clarification

3 minutes ago, trystan said:

my boss on the other hand.... it's cold here, so global warming isn't a thing.

Omg I hope you came back with "And I ate a sandwich so global hunger must not be a thing, then?" / "I have a roof over my head so homelessness must not exist"
Or even "it's always raining somewhere in the world so I guess droughts never happen?"
Just, in general, a comeback that suggests that the experience of one person/thing does not mean there isn't a widespread problem. 

@trystan

Oh, I didn't think you would confuse weather with climate, it was just a general comment for others who might not be that aware.

As for !=, that's from C and Unix shells which use != for "not equal". It's derived from the maths symbol ≠.

As for the Wuhan investigation... China did indeed put up quite some hurdles to delay the WHO taking a close look at things. I'm curious whether the WHO will manage to find some usable information still.

3 minutes ago, Astreya said:

Oh, I didn't think you would confuse weather with climate, it was just a general comment for others who might not be that aware.

gotcha.

As for !=, that's from C and Unix shells which use != for "not equal". It's derived from the maths symbol ≠.

oh cool.  you learn something new every day!

As for the Wuhan investigation... China did indeed put up quite some hurdles to delay the WHO taking a close look at things. I'm curious whether the WHO will manage to find some usable information still.

yeah.  but that's also China. i hope the WHO finds something useful.

7 minutes ago, ValidEmotions said:

Just, in general, a comeback that suggests that the experience of one person/thing does not mean there isn't a widespread problem. 

i probably said something that Australia had just has the hottest summer on record. she said something like "I don't care about that.  i care about what happens here."

she's got her blinders on so tightly, i think it's cutting off circulation to her brain.  she believes in conspiracy theories as well- oh and that if you boost your immune system you can conquer covid.  and when all these healthy people who have awful, debilitating covid, or someone healthy dies from covid? "they HAD to have had an underlying condition that they didn't know about" :blink:

Edited by trystan
to add stuff

9 minutes ago, trystan said:

i probably said something that Australia had just has the hottest summer on record. she said something like "I don't care about that.  i care about what happens here."

What about the fires in the US? The droughts in the US? Heat waves in the US? Storms getting more intense due to the higher water temperatures? *sighs*

As for the WHO investigation, I hope they get the opportunity to look around in less urban areas around the wet markets, as it is quite likely that some wild animals (bats?),  might be the reservoir.

By the way, German top virologist Professor Dr. Christian Drosten of the Charité in Berlin missed the registration for the WHO research team -_-'

8 minutes ago, Astreya said:

What about the fires in the US? The droughts in the US? Heat waves in the US? Storms getting more intense due to the higher water temperatures? *sighs*

this is my boss: *sticks fingers in ears* i can't hear you! lalala

seriously.  if it doesn't affect her back yard, she ignores it.

of course, we have had some tropical storms and nor'easters.  but the most severe thing that i think has happened is she's lost power for a few hours....

9 minutes ago, Astreya said:

As for the WHO investigation, I hope they get the opportunity to look around in less urban areas around the wet markets, as it is quite likely that some wild animals (bats?),  might be the reservoir.

agreed. i saw somewhere there's like a crazy amount of coronaviruses out there, and a lot of them infect bats. 

I hope it is not just the weekend slump, but today the newly infected numbers look a bit lower, albeit there are more people in hospital again.

------------

As of today, Monday, January 18, 12:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 645 (-40) active cases, while 5495 (+55) people are considered to have recovered. 186 (+-0) persons sadly died. 901 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6326 (+15) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 138.1 (+1.9).

Currently 117 (+4) persons are treated in hospitals, with 16 (+2) of them in intensive care, 13 (+1) of these needing artificial respiration.

There have been 3489 vaccinations so far, and today and tomorrow 399 more are planned.

------------

As of today, Tuesday, January 19, 13:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 655 (+10) active cases, while 5530 (+35) people are considered to have recovered. 192 (+6) persons sadly died. 888 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6377 (+51) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 123.0 (-15.1).

Currently 112 (-5) persons are treated in hospitals, with 17 (+1) of them in intensive care, 14 (+1) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 69 327 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 3787 vaccinations so far. By Jan 25, there are 1671 more vaccination planned in 18 institutions. The second jabs in care homes with be completed by Feb 18. From today on, 1100 medical personal of the hospitals will be vaccinated; this is supposed to be completed by the end of next week.

------------

As of today, Wednesday, January 20, 13:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 550 (-105) active cases, while 5624 (+94) people are considered to have recovered. 195 (+3) persons sadly died. 874 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6369 (there was a mess up in the transfer of the data yesterday, but today's data is correct again) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 100.1 (-22.9).

Currently 119 (+7) persons are treated in hospitals, with 18 (+1) of them in intensive care, 14 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 69 462 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 3967 vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

XD

We're averaging about 300 tests per day with between 7 and 18 positives out of those tests. Total cases are just over 8,000, 1150 active, but only 9 of those are in hospital and none are in the ICU. Deaths remain stable at 175.

After there was a little slowdown in the new infections in the last days, today there was a new rise. Additionally, the city got fewer vaccine due to Pfizer/BioNTech currently upgrading their production facilities, which leads first to lesser production of the vaccine before they will ramp it up to be able to produce in higher quantities than before.

------------

As of today, Thursday, January 21, 13:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 521 (-29) active cases, while 5726 (+102) people are considered to have recovered. 197 (+2) persons sadly died. 925 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6444 (+75) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 117.7 (+17.6).

Currently 119 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 18 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 14 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 69 585 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 4104 (1st jab) and 610 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

I am anxious to see what 100 days under a national mask mandate does to our numbers. I am filled with hope.

as i told younger daughter either yesterday or tuesday - i really feel like the US really is a year behind where everyone else is with a covid response. 

(covid, on the other hand, is laughing at us all...)

You may be a year behind, but sadly many other countries that started out better are catching up :(

With the more infectious virus strain that was first discovered  in the UK, the number of infections currently skyrocket in Europe, too.

By the way, in Germany, the numbers are still way to high, but today in the press conference of Health Minister Jens Spahn, Prof.Dr. Lothar Wieler of the RKI and Prof.Dr Christian Drosten of the Charité, they reported that there was no extra spike in infections due to Christmas and New Year here. The main problem is that the high numbers of infections leads to a high number of deaths whichcan only be brought down if we get the general number of infections down. Plus the hospitals could use some relief, as the average time a severely ill Covid patient stays in ICU is about 25 days, with some staying even 30 up to 60 days.

------------

As of today, Friday, January 22, 12:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 503 (-18) active cases, while 5797 (+71) people are considered to have recovered. 197 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1094 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6497 (+53) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 118.6 (+0.9).

Currently 124 (+5) persons are treated in hospitals, with 16 (-2) of them in intensive care, 11 (-3) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 70 025 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 4270 (1st jab) and 655 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

------------

As of today, Saturday, January 23, 9:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 521 (+18) active cases, while 5805 (+8) people are considered to have recovered. 204 (+7) persons sadly died. 1144 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6530 (+33) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 130.5 (+11.9).

Currently 108 (-16) persons are treated in hospitals, with 10 (-6) of them in intensive care, 8 (-3) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 70 119 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 4270 (1st jab) and 721 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

------------

As of today, Sunday, January 24, 9:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 538 (+17) active cases, while 5827 (+22) people are considered to have recovered. 207 (+3) persons sadly died. 1095 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6572 (+42) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 137.6 (+7.1).

Currently 120 (+12) persons are treated in hospitals, with 13 (+3) of them in intensive care, 5 (-3) of these needing artificial respiration.

There have been 4288 (1st jab) and 830 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

------------

As of today, Monday, January 25, 12:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 509 (-29) active cases, while 5869 (+42) people are considered to have recovered. 207 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1042 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6572 (+13) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 139.0 (+1.4).

Currently 119 (-1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 11 (-2) of them in intensive care, 6 (+1) of these needing artificial respiration.

There have been 4288 (1st jab) and 830 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

I haven't been keeping up with covid news lately. I've known about the one new variant of covid that is highly transmissible but just learned there is a new third strain from Brazil that is highly transmissible. Anyone know how long that's been around?

Currently there are three SARS-CoV2 mutants of concern:

- B.1.1.7 (first detected in the UK in December 2020)

- B.1.135 (first detected in South Africa in  in December 2020)

- B.1.1.28 P.1 (first detected in Brazil in July 2020)

They are considered more transmissible than the original strain(s). There are further mutants around, though most of them contain fewer problematic changes of the gene sequence of the virus.

Here are some articles with further information:

- https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Virusvariante.html;jsessionid=F735063D507F26033C2E1045CE4A8F15.internet082?nn=2444038

(Language: German)

- https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/interactive/2021/01/25/covid-variants/

- https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-mutations-can-people-who-have-recovered-or-been-vaccinated-be-infected-again/a-56289233

- https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/01/new-coronavirus-variants-could-cause-more-reinfections-require-updated-vaccines

Edited by Astreya

Jesus Christ. I was lowkey feeling kind of bad for Gavin Newsom because he has been dealt a pretty difficult hand coming into office and faced a lot of unjustified criticism. But the one (1) time I try to defend a politician, he goes ahead and does this. Yes, the economy is in trouble, yes people are angry at you, yes ICU capacity is back up again but NO that doesn't mean we can just forget about all that and let even more people get sick. Especially since the vaccine rollout is turning out to be a complete disaster since Operation Warp Speed left it up to the states to figure out. California is already number one in COVID cases and now we're going to do a victory lap. God.

And @AngelsSin it seems like we in the USA already have our first (detected) case in Minnesota, though all of the news articles I've looked at don't seem to say anything about how long the Brazilian variant has been around, just that it hit us recently. They don't yet know if it's deadlier than the original/UK strains, but I'm not surprised that they've got a new strain, since their government is handling the pandemic pretty poorly over there as well and the virus has had plenty of time to experiment.

@soullessheartofsteel it's not just Gavin Newsom, Larry Hogan is pushing to re-open in-person learning and schools in Maryland (heads-up @purplehaze since I know that's your state), and parts of Illinois are re-opening indoor dining and bars at 25% capacity. The metrics we use to re-open (ICUs at a certain percentage of capacity) is very flawed in my opinion, and I really really wish we'd just paid people to stay home to combat this. It's like states think that yo-yoing with closing and re-opening will fix everything when we've been doing this for almost a year and it hasn't worked. The definition of insanity...

43 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

The definition of insanity..

Amen! People don't seem to realize that you can't really restart the economy until you control the pandemic. If they had handled it that way in the beginning we would be a lot farther ahead now. I thought Larry Hogan did a good job handling things in the beginning, but he buckled under all the protests and resistance.

Man, it's disheartening to see everyone else going and making the same mistakes my state is. At least I know I can complain with everyone in Maryland and Illinois.

Like, if the government can agree to bail out the stock market and the travel industry because they're essential to our economy, why can't they help its citizens, too? It's our labor and our effort that make these companies worth anything. When everyday people get money, they spend it-- we don't have the security to sock it all away because food, rent, and bills don't just stop existing because there's a pandemic going on. Keeping that money circulating is what keeps an economy alive, and if we spit in our people's faces by offering them $600 (if anything), what does that say about our priorities and foresight as a country?

Me and my mom have noticed people are not wearing their face masks as much and with these more transmissible strains out there that can't be good. And Florida was never that great about it to begin with.

Edited by AngelsSin

40 minutes ago, AngelsSin said:

Me and my mom have noticed people are not wearing their face masks as much and with these more transmissible strains out there that can't be good.

Oh yeah, I braved the outdoors yesterday to take a walk and the sheer number of people walking around maskless was just upsetting. And I doubt they've somehow managed to get both doses of the vaccine because that's the only way I could justify them running around like that.

The B.1.1.7 strain was just identified/detected here in my state, Nevada, this afternoon 🙃 So that's fun.

But my mom was able to get her first COVID vaccine shot last Monday since she works at a medical office that sees regular patients (I'm currently trying to remember the exact type of medicine the doctor there practices). She also got a test and resulted negative for COVID last week, fortunately. 

Gov. Sisolak and my county are, last I heard, still working out what order is best to issue vaccinations in. They were thinking vulnerable elderly/age group for the second phase, alongside other essential workers. If so, then my dad should be seeing a chance at his first vaccine at that time. Still, it's all slow going 😕 

Despite being high risk (autoimmune disorder) I am not in the 'high risk' category for vaccine distribution in my state. The rules seem arbitrary and written by someone who doesn't medically understand what 'high risk' means. People with cancer and who have had organ transplants can get it early (as they should) but also people with over a certain BMI (??? A dumb measurement anyway but another rant for another day) Can and people with COPD. Which are also valid in their own ways. But I'm on the same medication transplant patients get, and I cannot get it early. Just... too restrictive and arbitrary rules. I understand, it is slow going, but it's frustrating. I'm scared every day. And on the same meds as people in this category and yet I'm not eligible until the general population is. All just a mess.