trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

3 hours ago, purplehaze said:

There was a long article in the New York Times this morning about the Trump administrations failures on controlling the pandemic. I will provide a link, but not try to quote as it is hard to narrow down to anything of a reasonable length. Things could have been so much different if only President Trump had listened to voices of reason. :(

NYT article

excellent article.

hubby has said that if trump did what he was supposed to, reassured everyone to wear masks, social distance, wash your hands (y'know, follow the science!); and even try to sound serious about the virus, the cases, the deaths.... trump may have even gotten re-elected, too.

in other news, one of the manager-type people at my store also agrees that the company should send out a notification blast when someone at the store has tested positive, and NOT keep it a secret as to why we're closing early and such.  but corporate? nope, they're not doing it right. *sigh* 

They announced today that they're making it mandatory for my entire state to wear face masks everywhere as of midnight tonight. If you don't comply, you will be fined on the spot. I'm glad they're finally doing it here. 

24 minutes ago, Bambi said:

They announced today that they're making it mandatory for my entire state to wear face masks everywhere as of midnight tonight. If you don't comply, you will be fined on the spot. I'm glad they're finally doing it here. 

Yay! That's one of the things our PM insituted right from day one (back in March) and it does help.

5 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Yay! That's one of the things our PM insituted right from day one (back in March) and it does help.

I sure hope so! I've been wearing mine for a few months now so at least it won't be a significant change for me. I've seen a few people already say that they rather be fined than wear a mask which is disappointing. 

26 minutes ago, Bambi said:

I've seen a few people already say that they rather be fined than wear a mask which is disappointing. 

That is sad. I don't have that kind of money even if I were willing to risk my life. It's $250 here if you're found maskless. The Covid Ambassadors have been through my shop three times now, and thankfully we've all passed inspection each time.

I get annoyed with people who say that ten or fifteen minutes of mask is too much. On a work day, mine is on from 9:30 a.m. til 4:30 or 5. The only time it's off is the 15 or 20 minutes of my tea break.

2 minutes ago, Lagie said:

That is sad. I don't have that kind of money even if I were willing to risk my life. It's $250 here if you're found maskless. The Covid Ambassadors have been through my shop three times now, and thankfully we've all passed inspection each time.

I get annoyed with people who say that ten or fifteen minutes of mask is too much. On a work day, mine is on from 9:30 a.m. til 4:30 or 5. The only time it's off is the 15 or 20 minutes of my tea break.

It's very sad. I mean, I've got the money if I reallyyy had to pay but I wouldn't ever go against regulations and purposely get myself fined. It's all stupidity if you ask me. I suppose it's good that they're very diligent in checking your shop. I wear a mask for 10 hours a day at work as well, people who complain over a short period of time wearing it baffle me. Of course it's not the most comfortable thing in the world but you have to do what's best for yourself and everyone around you.

11 hours ago, Bambi said:

I've seen a few people already say that they rather be fined than wear a mask which is disappointing. 

10 hours ago, Lagie said:

at my retail job, i'm always wearing a mask, the shift is only for 4, 4-1/2 or 5 hours. my desk job is just me and my boss, and in the office we don't wear them because it's always just the two of us.  the mail guy is masked and only in the office for less than 5 minutes.  but everywhere else - starbucks, wawa, and walking there, and in parking lots - i'm masked.  i mask to protect myself and others, and this "i got rights!" bs is just that.... bs. XD 

also, Bambo, what state are you in? :) i'm in PA

On Jan 2, the Gesundheitsamt (local health office) didn't publish any numbers. We still have to wonder whether the lower figures are still due to the laboratories and GPs' offices working on reduced times due to holidays.

-------------

As of today, Sunday, January 3, 10:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 834 (-118) active cases, while 4509 (+141) people are considered to have recovered. 127 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1607 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 5470 (+33) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 167.5 (+1.4).

Currently 136 (-27) persons are treated in hospitals, with 20 (-1) of them in intensive care, 16 (+3) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 62 034 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen. There have been 851 vaccinations in care homes so far.

-------------

As of today, Monday, January 4, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 877 (+43) active cases, while 4527 (+18) people are considered to have recovered. 128 (+1) persons sadly died. 1558 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 5532 (+62) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 146.1 (-21.4).

Currently 136 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 18 (-2) of them in intensive care, 15 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 62 204 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen. There have been 851 vaccinations in care homes so far (by Jan 4).

-------------

As of today, Tuesday, January 5, 12:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 919 (+42) active cases, while 4547 (+20) people are considered to have recovered. 135 (+7) persons sadly died. 1559 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 5601 (+69) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 154.2 (+8.1).

Currently 141 (+5) persons are treated in hospitals, with 19 (+1) of them in intensive care, 19 (+4) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 62 479 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen. There have been 867 vaccinations in care homes so far.

[Source: Stadt Oberhausen]

Edited by Astreya

We had 15 new cases (from 304 tests) on Jan 2nd, 10 on my island, taking us to 7,914 cases in total. 175 deaths to date. :(

The doctor who was in my shop that day, the awesome one on the Covid taskforce, has been honoured by the Queen. :D

Screenshot_20210104-100105.thumb.jpg.ca11b4808ce84c924119207bfc840769.jpg

Edited by Lagie

15 minutes ago, Rachel72 said:

Thankfully my family and I are negative 

that's great news! :)

I spent a few minutes looking at the first few pages of this topic, when we were still in mid-March/early April, and... damn. It's insane how much changed in 10 months. The USA is closing in on 400k deaths and I'm living in the epicenter right now-- IIRC they're saying that as many as 1 in 20 people have it in my area. I've somehow managed to avoid getting it this whole time, despite working at a restaurant and being close friends with someone who did eventually get it due to some negligence in his family. I'm grateful that I have the privilege of feeling bored and restless right now, because it's been absolutely apocalyptic for healthcare workers and most of them haven't had any respite since March. I'm a college student living with my family, and the work is mostly to save money for school and get some exercise more than making rent. (Look, I know I shouldn't be working if it's not necessary to my survival, but given how expensive college is here in the US, the debt will kill me faster than the virus.)

One word of advice to anyone who's currently infected or is recovering from the virus: POTASSIUM. This isn't really something that's mentioned when it comes to fighting off corona, but you lose a lot of it through your urine. It can manifest as dizziness, weakness, tingling, heart palpitations, difficulty breathing, confusion, and loss of muscle control. There's obviously a lot of fear around the virus causing heart attacks, strokes, and pulmonary embolisms, but the scary thing here is that a potassium deficiency can mimic those things. Since it's not common knowledge, you might never find out what's wrong with you until you get your blood tested, and the whole time you'll be fearing the worst. And it can cause plenty of problems if left untreated or if it gets severe enough. This especially goes for anyone with high blood pressure, heart disease, or asthma.

I'm talking about potassium deficiencies mimicking strokes because that's what happened to that friend I mentioned earlier. He was hanging out with me after he'd gotten over his infection, which had been mild, when he felt a weird punching feeling in his heart and got nauseous. He sat down for a bit and felt better, and started heading home. He was doing 75 on the highway when he started blacking out and losing sensation in his extremities, and he at least had enough sense at the time to call me so I could emergency-responder him into getting off the highway and parking somewhere so an ambulance could come and get him. The paramedics refused, though, and told him that it was just a panic attack and he should go home and just pull over again if he started feeling dizzy again. (Which is just absolute horse[censored], we all know what our panic attacks feel like and if there's something different, especially if it feels like a symptom of a stroke or heart attack, going to the hospital is a no-brainer. And driving in that condition is just outright dangerous, especially during rush hour.) I drove over to pick him up and take him to the ER, and when he was there, his X-rays and EKGs seemed normal, and we couldn't figure out what it was until someone gave him a blood test and told him he was low on potassium. He started feeling better once they gave some to him through an IV and sent him home with some supplements. Given that he and I were both fairly convinced that he was going to die, it's serious enough that everyone should be aware of it. This virus is the world's biggest game of Russian roulette, and it's so unpredictable that you can't rule out things like strokes even if you're in your 20s and have the blood pressure and resting rate of an athlete. If you're having a heart attack or stroke, you only have minutes to figure out what's wrong and get yourself to a hospital. That's absolutely terrifying, and extremely stressful to both you and our already-exhausted medical force, so please, take care of yourselves and add more potassium-rich foods to your diet to prevent false positives.

Somehow the numbers of deaths due to Covid-19 are really concerning. I remember that in the beginning, it appeared as if the pandemic seemed less deadly in Germany (even though even then the RKI experts warned that we'd see far more fatalities during the course of the pandemic), but in the last weeks the outlook has become bleaker and bleaker. At least now we can hope for the vaccine, even though it will certainly take some months until  there will be a noticeable effect.

-------------

As of today, Wednesday, January 6, 12:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 860 (-59) active cases, while 4658 (+111) people are considered to have recovered. 147 (+12) persons sadly died. 1485 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 5665 (+64) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 133.8 (-20.4).

Currently 138 (-3) persons are treated in hospitals, with 14 (-5) of them in intensive care, 13 (-6) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 62 615 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen. There have been 867 vaccinations in care homes so far, with 175 more planned today.

-------------

As of today, Thursday, January 7, 12:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 778 (-82) active cases, while 4832 (+174) people are considered to have recovered. 151 (+4) persons sadly died. 1420 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 5761 (+96) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 148.0 (+14.2).

Currently 129 (-9) persons are treated in hospitals, with 13 (-1) of them in intensive care, 12 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 62 799 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen. There have been 1065 vaccinations in care homes so far, with 198 more planned tomorrow and 600 more the day after tomorrow.

-------------

As of today, Friday, January 8, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 810 (+32) active cases, while 4886 (+54) people are considered to have recovered. 157 (+6) persons sadly died. 1520 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 5853 (+92) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 156.1 (+8.1).

Currently 127 (-2) persons are treated in hospitals, with 12 (-1) of them in intensive care, 12 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 63 264 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen. There have been 1065 vaccinations in care homes so far, with 800 more planned until Sunday.

-------------

As of today, Saturday, January 9, 11:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 803 (-7) active cases, while 4950 (+64) people are considered to have recovered. 158 (+1) persons sadly died. 1600 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 5911 (+58) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 189.8 (+33.7).

Currently 119 (-8) persons are treated in hospitals, with 11 (-1) of them in intensive care, 10 (-2) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 63 380 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen. There have been 1225 vaccinations in care homes so far, with 718 more planned today and tomorrow.

-------------

As of today, Sunday, January 10, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 782 (-21) active cases, while 4975 (+25) people are considered to have recovered. 161 (+3) persons sadly died. 1564 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 5918 (+7) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 196.4 (+6.6).

Currently 107 (-12) persons are treated in hospitals, with 11 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 9 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 63 380 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 1897 vaccinations so far, with 118 more planned today.

-------------

As of today, Monday, January 11, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 726 (-56) active cases, while 5050 (+75) people are considered to have recovered. 161 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1564 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 5937 (+19) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 199.7 (+3.3).

Currently 112 (+5) persons are treated in hospitals, with 11 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 9 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 63 380 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen, 205 more planned today.

There have been 2037 vaccinations so far, with 127 more planned today and 1000 by the end of the week.

-------------

As of today, Tuesday, January 12, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 651 (-75) active cases, while 5157 (+107) people are considered to have recovered. 165 (+5) persons sadly died. 1302 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 5973 (+36) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 194.1 (-5.6).

Currently 111 (-1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 13 (+2) of them in intensive care, 12 (+3) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 63 624 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen, 103 more planned today.

There have been 2179 vaccinations so far, with 32 more planned today and about 1000 by the end of the week.

-------------

As of today, Wednesday, January 13, 09:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 618 (-33) active cases, while 5262 (+105) people are considered to have recovered. 175 (+10) persons sadly died. 1236 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6055 (+82) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 174.6 (-19.5).

Currently 118 (+7) persons are treated in hospitals, with 14 (+1) of them in intensive care, 12 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 68 153 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen (some hospital reported their tests of the last days only today), 110 more planned today.

There have been 2218 vaccinations so far, with 299 more planned today.

Edited by Astreya

Our numbers are staying nicely down at the moment, but it has been revealed that, of the people entering the country who are supposed to have a rapid test 5 days after their arrival, 46% have failed to do so and have yet to be fined or anything for not doing so.

Of the ones who did, a coworker was one, and her rapid test read positive so she had a full PCR test and it was positive, too. Thank goodness, she never came into the shelter between returning to the island and finding that out. She had gone over to the U.S. for a wedding but got sick (with something else) and was in hospital there and then was still on medical leave when she returned. Hopefully that other illness won't make the Covid worse for her.

It's good to hear that at least at your place the numbers are staying down. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will stay that way.

Here the numbers are still way too high. They didn't really increase much more, but a high level isn't exactly good either. Our politicians stated that it is possible our lockdown will have to stay in place until Easter.

As vaccinations go, things are moving way too slow. We have our funky vaccination centres ready to go since about mid-Decembre, but right now the vaccines are mainly distributed among the care home people (both the cared ones and carers) - at least in NRW.  The other Länder have slightly varying priorities. Here's the overview for 2021/01/13 by n-tv:

Spoiler

vaccinations.png

I called the main health office of NRW and they said my parents should get their invitation in the third week of January, and the local vaccination centre will take up work from February on for the elderly who still live on their own after the care homes are secured.

Switzerland decided another shutdown of non-essential businesses yesterday (starting next week) and other measures. This is supposed to slow down the spread of the new mutation before the numbers "explode". As usual, some people say "too little, too late", and others basically call the government "nazis" for telling people what (not) to do. :rolleyes:

My elderly former neighbour called and said she and her husband would get the vaccination soon because they'd like to live for a few years longer. I hope most people will be reasonable like that. My parents also said they'll "probably" get it. They're just a little worried about possible side effects due to allergies, but I'd assume you stay near a doctor or nurse for at least long enough they'd notice if you go into anaphylactic shock or something. Which as far as I know is very, very, VERY unlikely anyway.

Currently, only high risk persons can get vaccinated, so my husband and I will have to wait for a few months. Unfortunately I will have to meet with several strangers in the next few weeks, but I hope meeting in big rooms, keeping as much distance as possible and wearing masks will be safe enough.

... Has anybody else developed a "I touched paper, need to wash hands" reflex from the whole "mail might be contaminated" problem?

31 minutes ago, Confused Cat said:

... Has anybody else developed a "I touched paper, need to wash hands" reflex from the whole "mail might be contaminated" problem?

Not aware of that specific problem, but the reflex has turned into "I touched *anything* that has been touched by someone else before, need to wash hands".

So. My mother's only son's second wife's mother's first husband (my whole family seems to have a habit of divorcing after kid #1 and re-marrying to make more kids :blink:) woke up on christmas morning with a cough and was dead by covid that same evening. That's how fast that virus can kill. The man was in his 60's; I'm not aware of any pre-conditions.

On the other end of the continent, my girlfriend's parents (also 60's) watch friends, acquaintances and former co-students around them die like there's no tomorrow. My girlfriend's friends' parents die one after another.

Get that vaccination as soon as you can, people.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

@Confused Cat

Yeah, I belong to the "too little, too late" people, too. IMO they could have made things much less bad if they'd have set up restrictions in October to stop the autumn/winter Covid explosion, but the politician were too afraid of the "Querdenker" idiots who set up major protests against the restrictions, I assume. Now they have to deal with much longer, much stricter and much more costly (both in lives and in money) problems.

As for the side-effects, I think every hyposensitivation against any allergy is more dangerous, and there are many people who do that, too. Just sit down in a monitoring space for 15-30 minutes after the jab, and if there is any problem (which usually isn't), you just get the proper meds against a possible anaphylactic shock, and everything should be fine.

I always carry both a hand disinfectant and a surface disinfectant around for months now. Better safe than sorry!

I have to admit I'm always a bit worried to touch all the advertisements that always stick in the mailbox daily, but well, I carry them to the paper container and when I'm back in the apartment I have to wash my hands anyway as there are several outside door handles in between, too. (The procedure is using only one hand for the "dirty stuff" if possible, then taking the disinfectant can with the other, spraying my hand, keys and inside door handle, waiting for the stuff to dry and then washing my hands with a nicer smelling soap to get rid of the disinfectant smell. Am I paranoid or am I paranoid? But then, a wise man once said "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.")

@Ruby Eyes

I'm really sorry to read about your and your girlfriend's losses!

I intend to get my vaccination as soon as I'm in turn, too. The problem is just that I have to get one of the mRNA vaccines as I always had so many problems with the classic vaccines that most doctors refused to give me any that could in any way be contaminated with raw egg (and most normal vaccines are due to the way they are produced).

Heck, if there is a person who has a right to be wary about vaccines it would be me (I actually almost died from the small pox jab when that was still mandatory in the 70es), and I'm one of the greatest supporters of vaccination anyway, as everything else would be really stupid!

Hence I'm so happy that now there is a completely new technique with the mRNA vaccines!

The numbers show a good development in the number of Covid patients in the hospitals in Oberhausen, which is going down a bit. The number of severely ill persons in ICUs is still a bit high, though. The vaccination centre will be opened on February 1 where they want to start with people from nursing services that visit their patients, people from emergency services and persons over the age of 80 years who still live at home.

-------------

As of today, Thursday, January 14, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 629 (+11) active cases, while 5320 (+58) people are considered to have recovered. 181 (+6) persons sadly died. 1260 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6130 (+75) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 164.2 (-10.4).

Currently 103 (-15) persons are treated in hospitals, with 15 (+1) of them in intensive care, 9 (-3) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 68 423 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen, 247 more planned today.

There have been 2476 vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

{{hugs}} Ruby!

PA has four phases for the vaccine, 1A, 1B, 1C, and 2.  i'm in phase 2. the state is still in phase 1A.

and my boss is still saying the China virus was planned in a lab.  thanks to my friends over on facebook, i've printed out an article from Ann Coulter from Breitbart refuting that! LOL!  before i leave today, i'll leave it on the desk where she's (maybe but probably not) likely to see it.  smh at my boss. yikes.

@trystan

Wow, that's a pretty detailed list! Our "phases" are a bit less detailed, at least how they are published here.  But it appears pretty similar, which of course makes sense. The only point that somewhat puzzles me is clergy in phase 1b. I think anyone from clergy is only sorted in the appropriate age and risk groups here.

Update - looks like we have a detailed list after all (only German, though): https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/impfzentrum_oberhausen.php#prioritaeteneinstufung

Looks like the number of new infections is going up again here despite the lockdown. 

-------------

As of today, Friday, January 15, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 684 (+55) active cases, while 5375 (+55) people are considered to have recovered. 186 (+5) persons sadly died. 1025 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6245 (+115) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 154.2 (-10.0).

Currently 105 (-2) persons are treated in hospitals, with 13 (-2) of them in intensive care, 9 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 68 671 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen, 75 more planned today.

There have been 2611 vaccinations so far, today and tomorrow 500 more are planned.

Edited by Astreya

Everybody in Switzerland seems to be making the same joke today: the government ordered all this snow to make people stay at home! ("Flockdown"!)

At least nobody will be stupid enough to actually believe that. ... Um. I hope. :unsure:

10 hours ago, Astreya said:

@trystan

Wow, that's a pretty detailed list! Our "phases" are a bit less detailed, at least how they are published here.  But it appears pretty similar, which of course makes sense. The only point that somewhat puzzles me is clergy in phase 1b. I think anyone from clergy is only sorted in the appropriate age and risk groups here.

well, it is the US, and y'know, we gotta go to church...

says the UU Pagan whose fellowship has been having services via zoom since the end of March of 2020....

6 hours ago, Confused Cat said:

Everybody in Switzerland seems to be making the same joke today: the government ordered all this snow to make people stay at home! ("Flockdown"!)

At least nobody will be stupid enough to actually believe that. ... Um. I hope. :unsure:

i'm sure there'd be people in the "right states" here in the US that would believe that XD 

Edited by trystan

6 hours ago, Confused Cat said:

4 minutes ago, trystan said:

i'm sure there'd be people in the "right states" here in the US that would believe that XD

So that's why they want to take care on the clergy first in the US - they have a direct line upwards and can ask for some heavy snow to make people stay at home, too XD

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

So that's why they want to take care on the clergy first in the US - they have a direct line upwards and can ask for some heavy snow to make people stay at home, too XD

and then when it snows (again) in Texas or Florida, everyone will go off on "global warming???"