Moonlight_Eevee

Make Halloween Last Longer

As per suggested in the News Thread, people would like to see the new Halloween eggs drop a few days longer:

• There was a massive lag all day that it was mostly impossible to get anything, people were lucky if they even got an egg out of it.
  • Unlike last year that people had calmed down by noon, this year, for some reason, eggs were still flying from the biomes late in the day (a lot of us believe that the lag was a contributing factor)
  • People live in different timezones and while there are going to be eggs in the ap, it won't be for another couple of days and the ones who were unlucky may still be unlucky if they have to work most of the day and still end up missing them.

That lag was absolutely painful. I was lucky to get a full set of new eggs because I have no life, but seeing all those people complain in the news thread how they completely missed the new release just makes me feel a bit angry. Why on earth can't new Halloween eggs drop for, say, one extra day, but new Christmas/Valentine's day eggs - that you can only get 2 of - drop for three whole days? This suggestion has all of my support.

I think they should drop for two days. That still prevents people getting a second batch but increases the time they are available. I can't see any harm in adding a day and it will mean less people miss out.

I wasn't sure if Valentine and Christmas eggs were the same, but seeing as they apparently drop for 3 days, yeah, it seems illogical that Halloween only drops for 1 day in comparison. I mean, it'd make sense if all three of the event dragons only dropped on the day of the celebration, but since the same doesn't go for Val and Xmas, I support Halloween dragons dropped for a couple of extra days.

I don't entirely. The difference is that we can have ANY NUMBER of CBs at Hallowe'en..

the lag wasn't bad ALl day - but anyone who was here for the marrows didn't find it that awful. now THAT year we ended up with three lines in the biomes to help everyone get some... adn I was still on dialup. That was REALLY painful.

I know what you mean, Fuzz. Personally I didn't even know there WAS any lag, as my sister and I managed to get some new guys without a single problem. But, if a lag issue is bad to the point some people couldn't get any, I can support a cause for that reason :c

I dont really get why it lasts only 1 day when other holidays last longer, it would be nice to have more time. I think I was lucky to get what I got as the lag was bad for most of my playing time. 

I could support a 2-day Halloween drop... Honestly I think it'd be great if all the holidays would be the same, but that would most likely mean shortening the others to 2 days and I doubt anyone would go for that. I'm usually very much a 'status-quo' person, but even I can see how frustrating this year's drop was. It *was* ridiculously laggy, way more so than usual even for a holiday, most of the hour-drops didn't even *start* until at least a minute or two late... I was refreshing constantly for the last hour of the drop and the biomes were completely empty most of the time, even right at/around the 5-minute marks. 

I would not support longer then 2 days for a Halloween drop, though. Christmas and Valentines we have strict limits, so even though they drop for longer we aren't grabbing tons. If Halloweens dropped for 3 days that would mean being able to get two full 'batches' of new eggs, and I don't think that's how the holidays were intended.

9 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

Personally I didn't even know there WAS any lag, as my sister and I managed to get some new guys without a single problem. But, if a lag issue is bad to the point some people couldn't get any, I can support a cause for that reason :c

Same here. I got my full set in the morning without trouble and afaik the other 2 players I know irl hunted later in the day with pretty much the same results...

I personally think the 5 minute drops should have more eggs so it's easier to get some, since for me the hourly drops are usually the only ones I can grab more than one egg at a time. Or just let them not run out during this 1 day a year (lag or not, if the regular biomes are always full with new eggs on Halloween everybody should have plenty chance to grab a full set themselves)

It was laggy? Oops? For the first time at all, I hunted on mobile. And, for the first time in a looong time, I got my eggs pretty early on - most of them within the first hour. (Hey, I even managed more than one egg during the same 5-minute-drop! On mobile!) I didn't notice any excessive lag then, and not a couple of hours later when I got the last of my eggs. I mean, around new releases, there's always a little lag. Always. It didn't seem to be excessive this time - at least not when I hunted. when I did notice lag, though, was when playing our Halloween game. It sometimes took several minutes for the game to actually update. XD 

However, I've seen worse. Much, much worse. (Marrows, Sweetlings, Trios, Midwinter Madness - those releases were horrible.) This one - not really. 

In essence, I'd like to tell the newer players - who've gotten to be a bit spoiled when it comes to lag and new releases - to toughen up a little. But, on the other hand, I don't see it as much of a problem to let any event release run for 48 hours.

I can sympathize with people who struggled with the lag during the release, but I don't support this. Christmas and Valentines drops are very different things from the Halloween drop. Our Halloween drop is all about greed and stuffing your scroll with as many goodies and you can get. It's about the hustle and the bustle and trying to get everything you've planned into the short time we have. Just like in the real world, you trick or treat on the one day to get everything you can manage. Christmas and Valentines are very different celebrations, with a more relaxed pace, with time to spend with families or significant others, while still getting to have some fun here on DC. Halloween dragons have no limit. Christmas and Valentines dragons are limited to two to better fit the atmosphere of the event.

Two days of Halloween drops would not be too difficult a change, since no one could get a second scroll full of eggs, but still, you only trick or treat on the one day in reality. The point of having only one day is that you can only get one scroll-full of eggs from the cave.

@Fiona Well, according to your logic, we only should have one day of Valentine's drops, too. But maybe 12 days of Christmas Winter Holiday drops... (I honestly don't want Winter Holiday drops lasting 12 days. Please no.)

We could also make an argument about Halloween being the eve before all hallows - which is today. So, two days of a Halloween drop makes sense. 

I support extending the drop. If the concern is getting too many eggs, maybe limit it to 8 of the newest eggs, and then unlimited starting the next year once they're in the Halloween biome? New players could get two batches, but players who can hold 8 eggs at once only get one batch. Or just make it two days, but I like consistency of all the holidays having 3 days.

I managed to get my eggs early-ish but the lag was still awful. I was busy the week leading up to Halloween and did all my breeding the day-of. The lag was so bad I almost gave up. I feel really bad for those players who didn't manage to get any eggs at all.

2 hours ago, olympe said:

In essence, I'd like to tell the newer players - who've gotten to be a bit spoiled when it comes to lag and new releases - to toughen up a little. But, on the other hand, I don't see it as much of a problem to let any event release run for 48 hours.

(I love this. Thanks for posting what I never quite have the guts to say. There has been much worse, omg the Marrows... I wouldn't mind a slight change, and the constant delay of hour-drops was frustrating even to me this year, but yeah. Definitely feel this way.)

I think, looking at things completely unbiased (...trying to...), the reasoning for 1-day Halloween and 3-day others is tenuous at best. It could just as easily be reasoned the other way, I think: If Halloween is about greedy all-you-can-get, why only one day, why not more to maximize the haul? December and Valentines have a limit of 2, which really should mean we *don't* need 3 days of catching, since 2 is much much easier for the majority to grab then 'all you can get', theoretically. Personally I don't at all mind if it just stays the way it is, but I've gotten tired of defending the rather weak reasoning for the difference in drops.

Support. I don't see why the Halloween drop is only one day when the other holiday drops are three days. Especially when the catching is unlimited for Halloween, With Christmas and Valentine's people grab their two eggs and they're done, so after the first rush it's easier to grab. Since people can grab as many Halloween eggs as they want it can be harder even later in the day.

23 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

(I love this. Thanks for posting what I never quite have the guts to say. There has been much worse, omg the Marrows... I wouldn't mind a slight change, and the constant delay of hour-drops was frustrating even to me this year, but yeah. Definitely feel this way.)

I think, looking at things completely unbiased (...trying to...), the reasoning for 1-day Halloween and 3-day others is tenuous at best. It could just as easily be reasoned the other way, I think: If Halloween is about greedy all-you-can-get, why only one day, why not more to maximize the haul? December and Valentines have a limit of 2, which really should mean we *don't* need 3 days of catching, since 2 is much much easier for the majority to grab then 'all you can get', theoretically. Personally I don't at all mind if it just stays the way it is, but I've gotten tired of defending the rather weak reasoning for the difference in drops.

Don't support anything that could POSSIBLY mean people managing to get two full sets within the holiday drops. Maybe just drop way more eggs over Hallowe'en.

@Fuzzbucket That's why I think a 48 hour drop would be ideal. Because, even with perfect circumstances, you'd need 48 hours to hatch your stuff. So, once you hatch your new Halloweens, there won't be more of them dropping. Which is fine.

Of course, people could try to get theirs to sport a big, fat hole and try killing them an hour before the drop is over in order to force them out of the egg - but is it really worth it? There'll be dead egg shells, too - which means that you cannot replace them. You'll only be able to replace successfully hatched eggs. Personally, I think the risk is too great.

@GhostMouse Limit of 8? B) I think you'll get the power traders (and spriters with their alts - who trade for a LOT of their own Halloweens) up in arms because they won't be able to trade for more CB Halloweens this way. Personally, I'm neutral on this - but I can see how it would cause ripples.

To be honest, I think a one day Halloween drop is a bit silly when limited eggs, such as Holidays, drop for far longer.  People grab their two eggs and they are done.  It's hard to tell since the eggs all have the same description, but I wonder how much the biomes actually turn over once the initial first day rush ends.  (I don't know that information y'all... I would just assume that it's not very active if people have their two already.)

Since Halloween is a "grab all you can" sort of thing, I would love to see them drop for at least one more day.  If that's not feasible, I would love to see a nearly continuous generation of eggs, or at least increasing the number generated both at the hourly and five minute drops.

@LadyLyzar I've seen Winter Holiday eggs sit for several minutes in all six biomes on day two and three of the drop by checking the codes. Nothing really happens on day 3. At least for most of the time. It's not unusual to look at the eggs just after the 5 minute drop/shuffle and find the very same eggs just before the next drop/shuffle.

5 hours ago, olympe said:

However, I've seen worse. Much, much worse. (Marrows, Sweetlings, Trios, Midwinter Madness - those releases were horrible.) This one - not really. 

Vampires were the worst Halloween drop for me. If I remember correctly the lag monster stuck hard that day. Only got one though I tried all day that year.

I wouldn't mind two days for Halloween egg drops.

Well, I wasn't there for the vampires as I joined only a couple of days before the Pumpkin release... XD 

See, I wouldn't go for a full 48 for the 'big hole/earthquake' possibilities. Max I'd go to is 36 hours.

The 1 day for Halloween makes sense - as was mentioned earlier, it's all about greed, avarice and getting as much as you can in a short amount of time. The other holidays are about fluffy feelings and prolonged enjoyment, and people have family get-togethers on Christmas and possibly dates on Valentine's, therefore more than one day is handy to accommodate that.

While I do like the philosophy of the 24 hour drop, I could support up up to a day and a half for lag easement.

I'd be on board for a 2- or 3-day drop for Halloween. Halloween eggs are a once-a-year thing, CBs can be tough for new players, and I don't feel like a short extension would be making things too easy or quenching the spirit of the event -- as long as there's no limit, people'll have plenty of chances to be greedy.

I second this, especially the 2 day suggestion so people can only get one batch. I don't remember this type of lag at any other holiday drops. I'd also second an extra day to play the game, since it didn't work for many mobile players and made it impossible to get the badge.

I could not support anything more than a two-day drop, for the reason others have stated -- no one should be able to grab a second set of eggs from the biomes. Some people already get huge numbers by trading, borrowing scroll space and whatever other methods they use, but at least that requires some extra effort and not everyone can do it.

I'm not even sure we need a two-day drop, IF the biomes really flooded constantly all day on the one day. But that has not been the case. I know this year it seemed that the eggs were gone each time after one refresh or maybe two at the most. So in less than a minute the biomes were all empty until the next five-minute drop. If they flooded all day I think everyone should be able to get their fill in one day.

Some sort of change is needed, though. It made me feel really bad to see so many people being disappointed because they weren't able to get any at all. It shouldn't require struggling all day to get them. Yes, I remember the Marrows and how terrible I felt when I wasn't able to catch any. If it weren't for a lovely fellow player who shared with me I would not have had any until the holiday biome came along years later!  It doesn't seem like good game design to disappoint a large number of players over something that is supposed to be exciting and fun.