Xythus

Trade offer rejection comes with a Message

Hi all,

I think it would be really useful if we can have the option to include a message whenever we reject an offer from a public trade.

To avoid any possible chances of people abusing this, we can only select options from a drop down menu.

For example:

Please select a reason for rejecting this offer:

(No Message) (An opt out for people who don't want to leave a message)

Not what I was looking for

Another offer was chosen

Not enough time

There was multiple offers of the same thing and I could only pick one

I decided to keep it

Couldn't accept because you were locked

The person will see in their notifications:

(If no message: ) Your offer has been rejected.

(If message: ) Your offer has been rejected because another offer was chosen.

I have no complaints with the Trading Hub; since it's implementation, it's been working exactly how it was intended to work. I feel like this suggestion would improve it even more, and encourage people who's offers have been rejected to continue using this feature.

My personal experience with this: There's been a couple of times where I ask for a very specific lineaged bred egg. My message on the teleport says that I will accept this egg if it's offered. 

*waits 3 minutes*

No offers. 

*waits another 3 minutes*

Still no offers.

*waits even more*

Nope, nothing.

*goes to do something for 5 minutes*

All of a sudden, there's three offers of the same exact egg from three different people. (Darn it.) But I can pick only one. 

This happens often, and I just think it would be nice if there's a way to communicate to the other two offerers why theirs was rejected!

Edited by Xythus

Bert add the option "could not accept due to egglock" as I had to decline offers very often because of that when I offered an egg and someone offered a hatchie for it.

Edited by Astreya

I think Astreya's point is the critical one here. But support, anyway.

11 hours ago, Astreya said:

Bert add the option "could not accept due to egglock" as I had to decline offers very often because of that when I offered an egg and someone offered a hatchie for it.

Oh yes, this too! Added

I like this idea a lot, if only because I like to explain to people why I denied a trade. I feel things like that can also help people new to trading understand why their offer (which might have seemed perfect to them) got turned down.

Also, perhaps add in an option 'this trade is unfair'. It might be unpopular, and everyone has different thoughts on what is fair/unfair, but it might help educate players both new and old who are unfamiliar with trading understand how things are valued. Sure it would only be the opinion of the trade holder, but it may help people understand (ex. a player offers up 4 CB hatchlings in exchange for 1 CB Gold egg on five different trades. Each one denies with that message, player (may) learn that Golds have a very high value to most people).

I'd love this. ❤️ Another potential message for the dropdown: "Related to what I already have".

Definitely. Really approve of the pre-written messages to avoid abuse. I'd really love this, too: sometimes I feel so mean rejecting people, and when I'm rejected I really want to know why!! So absolute support here lol

54 minutes ago, ShorahNagi said:

Also, perhaps add in an option 'this trade is unfair'. It might be unpopular, and everyone has different thoughts on what is fair/unfair, but it might help educate players both new and old who are unfamiliar with trading understand how things are valued. Sure it would only be the opinion of the trade holder, but it may help people understand (ex. a player offers up 4 CB hatchlings in exchange for 1 CB Gold egg on five different trades. Each one denies with that message, player (may) learn that Golds have a very high value to most people).

No. A trade may be perfectly fair depending on who does it (I speak as one who has a pretty shiny up there for a common.) Fairness is in the eye of the beholder. People will learn by the rejections - in the end.

1 hour ago, ShorahNagi said:

But there are people out there who have traded CB Golds for 4 CB hatchlings (or even less) so how can you label a trade unfair. Unfair is very much a subjective term and I don't think it would be particularly instructive to label a trade unfair if it is something that someone else may consider quite fair. Just because you may want something more than what the person is offering does not make the trade offer unfair!

If anything, make the response "I expect more than this for my trade" rather than labeling the offer unfair.

Edited by purplehaze

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

No. A trade may be perfectly fair depending on who does it (I speak as one who has a pretty shiny up there for a common.) Fairness is in the eye of the beholder. People will learn by the rejections - in the end.

Agree with Fuzzbucket; "unfair" is so subjective that it's useless as a message.  It will only confuse people or make them upset (because, obviously, most of the time it must have seemed fair to one party, or they wouldn't have offered!)

Any "unfair" trade offer can be covered with "it's not what I'm looking for".

Instead of "you were locked" I think it should read "you have reached your limit for eggs/hatchlings", which better matches the other in-Cave messages regarding locked scrolls preventing actions (Market purchase, Summon action).  I'd like to see  a "I have reached my limit for eggs/hatchlings" message option, too, for those times when you have 21 growing dragons on your scroll, and someone offers you 4 hatchies...  Maybe holiday versions as well, with "you have reached your limit for this holiday breed" and "I am have reached my limit for this holiday breed" messages?  This winter there was a frustrating incident where someone offered me two bred eggs I wanted VERY much, but also put a CB Starsinger on the link so I was unable to accept it and there was no way to communicate to them that I would have taken their offer over everyone else's if they just removed the CB! 

It needs to differentiate between egg-locked and scroll locked, though. It's frustrating all round if you are trying to trade a hatchling and people keep offering eggs and you are egg-locked.

I agree with no 'unfair' message, if only because I skew that 'fair-ness' meter with the trades I do. To me, a super-messy ultra-common is totally 'fair' for a CB Zyu or Trio or whatever I may be offering. Some people think the only thing 'fair' enough for 2nd-gen Prizes is other 2nd-gen Prizes and CB Golds. Others will give away 2nd-gen Prizes for nothing. Etc etc. Personally I'd rather people *didn't* 'learn' that something is 'unfair' because I'd rather get the offer anyways and decide for myself if it's 'fair' enough. 

I do support this suggestion in general though, especially the 'egglocked' one. I haaaaate having to decline offers because the other person is locked (heck I hate declining offers period), I always feel bad and would love to be able to send an explanation.

I agree that "this is not what I looking for" is enough instead of "this is not fair." Fair is very subjective. I often trade fairly "rare" things for CB hatchlings. Doing so doesn't teach newbies the wrong thing about fairness. As fuzz said, the rejection should be enough.

I agree with the above that "I'm sorry, this is not what I wanted" is sufficient. "That's not fair" sounds petulant and not very pleasant, either..

I would love if there were a "Couldn't accept because you are egglocked" and am seconding the calls for a "Can't accept because I'm egglocked" - but that first one especially. I've personally not had it happen to me, but I've seen so many trades fail as a result of egglocks that it'd be very helpful, especially since not everyone is available for communication via the forums.

I fully support this idea! It adds some much needed communication to on-site trading without adding a full on messaging system that could be abused by some people.

Edited by Nagapie

I throw in my full support as well. This could be really useful and as mentioned before, it is something the trading hub really needs.

Actually this is technically OT here, but one thing that would help hugely in the hub, and which has been asked for in other threads but not - as far as I can see - in a thread of its very own, is the ability to accept part of a trade. So - behold: a thread.

Please do join me.

Personally I'd be happy with just the following options:

(No message)

"One of us doesn't have room for this trade." (scroll lock)

"One of us has too many eggs for this trade." (egglock)

"I'm not interested in this offer."

"Another offer was chosen."

"Trade cancelled."

But support either way.

Definitely support! There have been plenty of times where I've been very specific in what I want for a trade, and have to reject a bunch of offers that aren't that; or times where I've had multiple good offers but could only pick one. Having even just a set of boilerplate rejection messages like discussed above would be a huge help.