Dragon_Arbock

Raise CB Holiday limit to 4

I clicked this thread and started reading through, thinking it was posted recently, and thinking "ah, seems like other people have this problem, i guess it's really started being a problem recently'. Then I checked the post dates. 5 years ago. This has been a problem for 5 years and nothing's been done??? Every single year when it comes to christmas or valentines, grabbing eggs becomes a chore because the biomes don't move along.
I really don't understand why the limit can't be removed altogether - it's preventing people from doing anything nice with lineages though admittedly that part in particular doesnt affect me. What affects me the most is that I can't get a neat set of CBs freezies - accounting for the one gender that holiday dragons get, I'd still need 3, 2 isn't enough. Removing the limit really wouldn't go against the spirit of the holiday, would it?? How would giving people infinite egg slots stop whatever generosity was supposedly already there? The only difference between christmas/valentines and halloween is that grabbing eggs in the former two feels like a slog waiting for biomes to move while grabbing eggs in the latter feels exciting.
I support the ideas that have been brought up of, well, if TJ is going to be tight about this and not give us the release of infinite holiday dragons, and raising the limit once will just cause problems later, the limits should be nuanced based on how many years have passed since that dragon's release, like +2 cbs per year. That's more sustainable.

If biomes spawned much more or refilled when need (never empty), it would be so efficient nobody would struggle to catch their scrollful on day 1 without any sad limits. It's powerful solution against CB limits, could be used only for holidays if TJ wants to keep the normal release stress, he says he uses CB limits to make holidays not stressful - infinite refilling biomes during holiday releases would do exactly that. A halfway would be much bigger numbers spawned (as many as server can handle well enough to accept, later into release the number is likely higher, first hours is likely the worst) or/and new spawns every minute, not 5.

release year is the easiest to catch, the overdone limit is most punishing here.

Remembering TJ's intent, New holiday release should be the first unlimited, older would go most smooth if their limit rise more gradually over a few years (3-5)

(example: if first unlimited holiday is in 2024, previous breeds should get limit rise to 4 CBs in 2024, to 6 in 2025, to 8 in 2026, to 10 in 2027 and unlimited in 2028 - I think it shouldn't get any more spaced out than this, 4->8->unlimited is much faster route idea (all breeds unlimited in 2026) and may be enough, I like it better; the earlier the limit lifting process starts the better now, the later it starts the harder it will be)

If TJ chooses to ignore the possible solution direction, the absolute minimal amount is 1-2 PER BIOME (it's 6 or 12 now), because we have interspecies breeding situations when parents's biomes is everything, so 1 CB per biome is absolute minimum, and 2 per biome for the minimal gen 3 base for such lines. 
when DC had 1 biome, we had 2CBs. Now we have 6 biomes and biome can be key for breeding some species, so it only makes sense to go 12 if limited, 2 CBs is outdated by about decade. Old breeds are already spoiled (only holiday biome) but future holidays would become so much more useful for lineages overall. 

Many people collect 10 CBs per breed or per sprite, a few other playstyles collect 8 or 5; 10 CBs allows a lot of playstyle types, I believe anything above 10 CB adults per gender is already a hoarder playstyle type, the more playstyle types are enabled the better, if TJ insists on limiting the use of holiays, 10 feels like minimum, so my choice is 12 (2 per biome) because it is simply update to original 2 CBs per biome from times when DC had just 1 biome. 

It's sad that the suppose most cheerful and generous holidays give the least of all releases... All it needs is bigger spawns to allow no CB limits.

because of CB limit I have to release or kill my CBs when I start specific progeny projects my existent CBs don't meet, and ruin other people's lineages, other people ruin my lineages like this too so much I don't bother make good lineages with not halloween holidays (I'd love to work with GarlandxSnow, I tried to start but it's just so repulsing), I don't feel like sharing and be shared with too all because of tight limit and consequences

it's hard to catch missed and replace CBs because biome is too stuck, trading is not really option because everybody is limited and most already have 2 CB adults, those who have CB egg to offer risk not refilling their CBs if they decide to help, because biome can be too unlucky stuck when they can hunt during this busiest week of year. 

I disagree with TJ's belief in limits helping anyone be generous and less stressed, I experience the opposite. Maybe if limit was 100, but not when it's below 10, forget 2. 

2g 2022 offers ask for 2g Thuweds, CB Stats, Golds, 2g SAlts etc. or 2g swap or other standard valuable breeds... Well, that's not the spread the cheer spirit for sure, and the limit is to blame for the levels of that because there's not enough breeding poll and people can't even have 1 of each sprite in year 1, AP is even more old breeds oriented than during Halloween for the same reason, so it's even harer to catch anything, not just trade. On Halloween I could at least trade CBs I managed to catch for those I wanted to catch but didn't... Can't do that with the 1 2022 I missed.

The 1 CB I can still have never shows in the Holiday biome. 

edit: looks like I won't catch up this 1 CB this year:/ Saw 0. 

edit to summarize and add perfect compromise:

infinite refill + no limits

if limits: 1-2 PER BIOME
mixed: some limit from biomes but unlimited Market-only
(because to hoard CBs from Market player has to choose what they get and what they don't and it would reward whole year activity, but it's STILL choice.)

Edited by Bialy
(still never saw 1 CB I still can grab)

10 hours ago, Shrewslash said:

I clicked this thread and started reading through, thinking it was posted recently, and thinking "ah, seems like other people have this problem, i guess it's really started being a problem recently'. Then I checked the post dates. 5 years ago. This has been a problem for 5 years and nothing's been done???

To be more accurate - people have asked for a change and nothing has been done to implement one. It isn't actually a PROBLEM, it's just something many of us want. Not the same thing.

I tentatively support raising the limit to 4 because it really helps with the Aegis/Enraegis lineages (and I really like the Enraegis but I don't do a lot with it bc making lineages with it when I have one and I have to be careful to specify trading with parents who are permanently in one state or the other is a huge pain, and I already have my massive Snow problem to manage.

That said, as a side note, I would not support unlimited. Halloween is already incredibly stressful for me because of unlimited CBs, and making the other two holidays the same (which are both holidays I have a much higher investment in than Halloween, precisely for this reason) would do me in I think. Also while I agree higher limits encourages gifting and cooperation, unlimited cycles back into hoarding as many CBs of your favourite breeds as you can, and I have enough problems trying to fill out my personal CB goals for Halloween.

I support raising limits slightly. I prefer the limits as well, but 2 seems like overkill for old dragons now that they're dropping every year. I was one of those new members hunting the biomes for my CBs, and it was so hard because you could go an hour without seeing a new dragon.

I think the solutions should either be slightly raising limits or letting us buy the Holiday dragons on the market. I support this.

I would support raising it slightly, but I personally prefer the holidays with a limit, as I know it’s easy to catch up if I don’t find the time to play. This is especially true for Christmas, which is a time I really don’t desire to spend online, but with the family I only see this time of year.

Market eggs should have separate no limit then,

time is already soft limit alone because of small Shards cap each week, rewards activity in year, gives choice, lets save time in holiday seasons. It's perfect compromise between no limit and limit just in biomes.

I still can't catch up, and I have less than 2 days to catch the 1 CB I could catch this year and I saw 0.

Edited by Bialy

You have at least 3 more days to catch it. As well as all day 25th - when most people will be catching the new one.

I've just given up on grabbing christmas eggs now. There's never any new eggs in the biomes, it's just a terrible slog to try get my eggs now. The problem is getting worse year after year....
After a lot of hunting, I only managed to grab two eggs, because of the limit making the biome so stagnant.

17 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

You have at least 3 more days to catch it. As well as all day 25th - when most people will be catching the new one.

Not me, I have just a few hours left now because we're soon travelling away and won't have internet there whoile holidays. And what could change for 2 days after so many?

I'm always busy helping everyone with holidays when holiday biome is available, but I'm in work in whole Halloween time but it was MUCH easier to get CBs I needed newer included, it's just fact for me, and I was working AND studying this year halloween and still was much easier than now winter! I got so many CB halloweens I needed, catched or traded,  also we got offers with many more multiclitch abandoned halloween eggs back than now winter eggs when halloweens were better lines, halloween is much easier and gifting spirit here. Also, my wife could catch CB halloweens for me but can't help me catch 1 CB winter holiday because her limits are full.

So I can only release some older CB holiday adults to have some chance today on my last day with internet I fear, I still saw 0. I just released+replaced one (replacement was in biome so I released, some people lost name in lineage - 94 descendants) and still 0.

It works poor in current form, it's opposite to intention.

Edited by Bialy

support because we would have chance to collect all form(1+2 frozen hatch)in a years and don't need to wait another years. Would like to have all different lights CB Glystere too.

Edit: I don't agree with no limit in biomes (market...ok maybe.) because it's another nightmare to snatch CB halloweens. I feels Christmas and V-days are the holidays about spreading joy and suitable for decrease the element of compete. Although I agree that low flow at biome is a problem but please use another method to solve. 

Edited by D-wing

I'm neutral- I don't really care if we get it or not. If we do, awesome, if we don't, eh.

However, if it is done, then it should be two only the first year, and then you can return to the holiday biome to get more the next year. the limit is to allow everyone a fair chance. The logic of hallowe'en is in keeping with the spirit of taking as much as you want. the other holidays are more about sharing.  So as I said, restrict/limit the first year, and then the holiday biome should be open.

1 hour ago, Starscream said:

I'm neutral- I don't really care if we get it or not. If we do, awesome, if we don't, eh.

However, if it is done, then it should be two only the first year, and then you can return to the holiday biome to get more the next year. the limit is to allow everyone a fair chance. The logic of hallowe'en is in keeping with the spirit of taking as much as you want. the other holidays are more about sharing.  So as I said, restrict/limit the first year, and then the holiday biome should be open.

This one is brilliant! You have my support for this one! 

You forget it's easiest to catch on release year (3 days of flood in 6 biomes) and hard to catch from holiday biome (16 breeds in 1 biome today, 17 in 1 biome in next year - only max 3/16 available at one time, 3/17,  later 3/25...)

(no, I didn't see ANY Light weaver in holiday biome still = I can't get my last CB  holiday allowed for almost 5 days now, and 5 is all I have, trading doesn't work too)

it's important to prioritise new release breeds if limits get changed at all or problem will remain to catch recent breeds almost like it is now

Edit: My time's over, Yep, didn't get my last CB this year, not in biome and not in trading hub, I tried. 

Edited by Bialy

Yeah I support keeping year 1 limits but after that, we need to find a way to help new players get their CBs either by trade or by moving biomes. Raising limits after the first release will help with that.

On 12/18/2023 at 12:24 PM, mishhelle said:

I support raising to cb limit to 4 at the very least. I would love to be able to have 2 cb enraged Aegis dragons to do my own 3G checkers, since mine are both permanently pacified. 

mine are both permanently pacified. you could say its a self-induced obstacle to lineages, but it still is tough trying to get those enraged lines, to the point where i rarely collect 2gs because they are impossible for me to continue on my own.

I don't understand why there has to be a limit at all (on past releases) - it's hard to get CB eggs you have missed out on previous years as the holidays page barely moves at this point. It seems to limit creativity and fun with lineages and some people just like to have a lot of caveborns. It works just fine with Halloween dragons, so not sure why Christmas is the event to be stingy on, when it's all about being generous?

Edited by KittyQueen

On 12/24/2023 at 3:00 PM, KittyQueen said:

It works just fine with Halloween dragons, so not sure why Christmas is the event to be stingy on, when it's all about being generous?

This is something that's always confused me. The claim is that Halloween is about "being greedy" and taking everything you can while Christmas and Valentine's are about sharing. But the CB limits on Christmas/Valentine's force players to be "greedy". It's so backwards.

I'll breed any CB Halloween for anyone, any day of the year. Even on Halloween. I wouldn't even want anything in return. I have enough that I can always work on my own breeding plans. But I would never breed a CB Christmas or Valentine's for someone else for free, in or out of the holidays, because I only have 2 of each. I want to have the flexibility to breed for myself or trades when I need/want to. I've seen countless other players express similar sentiments. You can't be generous with your CBs/G2 eggs when you have so few to work with. Of course there are still people who are able to be generous with their CBs, but there are more people who would be generous if they had the flexibility to do so.

I support any increase to the cb limit, whether small or large. It makes it harder to trade with people and gift when you can't hold an egg because of limits. You can't incuhatch for people either.

Edited by Metafarers

agree with this! makes a lot of sense and would help the holiday cave from getting clogged up

Yes please! Much need! Initial release with the usual 2 eggs and then after the event is over, the limit is dropped / set to 4 CB. Like that we could still make sure there's enough new eggs for everyone and no FOMO.
There were so many trades that were asking for a specific lineage, that I could have provided, but the egg in return was a CB Holiday, which I could not accept.

Yes, there's always the forums, but I don't have that much time around the holidays ...

Edited by Magellan

I always enjoy hunting/breeding for others and its so much harder to help with holiday/valentines because I either can't catch the eggs they want or can't trade when they offer CBs. I rarely collect more than a family of 5, myself, so I don't need more CBs for me. But Christmas is supposed to be about gifting, and I can't gift things with the limits. 😢