Dragon_Arbock

Raise CB Holiday limit to 4

I'll just copy/paste a post I made in a previous suggestion thread because it still summarizes my thoughts on the topic of limits pretty well, slightly tweaked from my original post:

Going unlimited shouldn't be such a big deal. I feel like lots of people are excessively terrified of a tiny amount of users monopolizing the biome and leaving the majority with nothing but dust and cobwebs. I highly doubt it would be like that, especially with the information ADP has brought to light [in this thread, which I will link below] where the biome refills eggs based on how many users are in the biomes. Sure, that might need to be tweaked to account for no-limits, but overall I feel it would be just fine.

People treat this as a very strict, black and white situation, expecting one of the two to happen:

a) I catch all my CBs from the biome with superb ease, every egg I click I get

b) I fail to catch anything ever and have to spend all my shards on everything I need [market holidays is a part of the suggestion, again linked below]

Neither of those is going to be the case for anyone. You have to take into account things such as trophy limits, CBs being dropped into the AP (happens frequently during Halloween), trading, gifting, and a whole week to catch CBs. And yes, even taking into account those factors, you may have to buy some eggs from the market. But I firmly believe the majority will be able to get almost everything they need from the cave; yes, you may have to buy that next Arcana you want, but you most likely won't need to buy the Cavern Lurkers, Shadow Walkers, Desipis, Witchlights, and Caligenes you want. It's really not as big of a deal as people are making it out to be.

Overall, this thread below is an amazing solution to limits:

On 6/17/2019 at 5:06 PM, Guillotine said:

TJ nixed the idea in the past, which is a shame because I still think it's th best option.

Dang, nevermind then. And yeah, I feel it would be a decent option just to cover any future 'limits have been raised but we want them to be raised again' scenarios.

Poking the thread because we're about a month and a half away from the 2019 holiday rush, even if the first holiday isn't really affected by this it's best to get the topic going now.

I'm torn about this one. Yes, I want more CBs. Always. ;) But I don't want to see a new fixed limit implemented just so, a year or two down the road, people ask for the limit to be raised again. Maybe 2 growing eggs/hatchlings at any one time, or maybe 2 new ones every year the season comes around - and if you joined later or didn't catch all you could, you're sadly out of luck. Or 2 CB in the year of the release, then unlimited starting the year after. 

Although, personally, I'd prefer 2 growing CBs at any one time, as that's *not* math, is still a limit to avoid overzealous hoarding and allows us to grow our collection, albeit at a slower pace than many of us would like.

Also, with this kind of limit implemented.... If you freeze, you can get 2 frozens (2 days), another 2 frozens (2 days), another set of 2 frozens (2 days) and then grab two CBs for either freezing or raising on the last day of the week the holiday biome is available - so 8 total, two of which may or may not be adults. If you don't freeze, you can raise up to 4 adults (5 days for raising and grabbing another set on day 6 or 7.) All within the limits - if you use Incubate on everything, that is. :) 

It also means that, unless you manage to trade for low-time hatchies after you raised your own, you cannot get more than 2 CBs in the initial year.

Unlimited Valentines and Christmases are still the hill I've chosen to die on, but while my corpse rots over there my ghost would like to say this at least would be a big improvement.

Allows more cheer with nearly zero consequence and lots to gain (more breeding opportunities, might make holidays in the holiday biome move faster, letting people find the specific ones they need faster). Also doesn't exclude even newbies, since they too can get four, and really shouldn't increase holiday related stress at any real level from the current level of two.

On 12/2/2018 at 3:36 PM, olympe said:

Of course, we could argue that 4 is better than 2, and 8 is most definitely better than 4, although it has drawbacks (as not every player could get 8 in their first year due to scroll limits), but all it leads to is a never ending cycle of "gimme moar".

I think that's a bit of a slippery slope argument. Four helps a lot for lineage-making and breeding, as well as rejections on off-season breeding. Even GONs have a limit of three.

I tend to ignore Xmas and Vday because of the CB limits. I can't build my own lineages past gen 3, so why should I care? Halloween is the best holiday for this reason. 

5 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Unlimited Valentines and Christmases are still the hill I've chosen to die on, but while my corpse rots over there my ghost would like to say this at least would be a big improvement.

I think we've both died on the same hill! This is how I feel, too.

4 hours ago, BrazenChase said:

I tend to ignore Xmas and Vday because of the CB limits.

And I'm in this same boat, too. My gameplay revolves around collecting CBs, I don't do lineages. I totally understand the game doesn't need to cater to my playstyle, but that doesn't stop me from supporting no more limits to allow for a wider range of playstyles; whether they be like mine with collecting CBs, or with other peoples who want to create large lineages out of only their own dragons, or people who wish to collect CBs to gift, or whatever your playstyle may be.

On 2/4/2021 at 4:43 PM, KrazyKarp said:

I think we've both died on the same hill! This is how I feel, too.

And I'm in this same boat, too. My gameplay revolves around collecting CBs, I don't do lineages. I totally understand the game doesn't need to cater to my playstyle, but that doesn't stop me from supporting no more limits to allow for a wider range of playstyles; whether they be like mine with collecting CBs, or with other peoples who want to create large lineages out of only their own dragons, or people who wish to collect CBs to gift, or whatever your playstyle may be.

Same here.

I don't recall if I already showed my support for raising CB limits but yes, I completely support this. I continue playing Christmas and Vday because of Hollies and Heartstealings, so please, raise the CB limits!

I dont think there should be any limits. Halloweens dont have them. Yeah people are going to scramble for them the first couple of years but this slow drip is only prolonging the inevitable. 

Let people get their fill and once they do so the trade prices of them will fall including hollies. Eventually you'll just see people really go nuts over nicely coded ones and 2/3g spriters alts descendants.

7 hours ago, CellyBean said:

I dont think there should be any limits. Halloweens dont have them. Yeah people are going to scramble for them the first couple of years but this slow drip is only prolonging the inevitable. 

Let people get their fill and once they do so the trade prices of them will fall including hollies. Eventually you'll just see people really go nuts over nicely coded ones and 2/3g spriters alts descendants.

Exactly. The first year or so may be difficult but it will get better every year.

I would be okay with 4 CB holidays and not ask for more!  I try to collect 4 of each breed that isn't a favorite, so I would love to be able to do that with Valentine and Christmas breeds, too.  It definitely gives an advantage for breeding lineages, too.

In all honesty, I feel like sometimes the Holiday biome moves slowly and gets blocked up with older breeds, and it would help that move a little faster, too, if people could pick up eggs of breeds they already have two of.

Oh man, I would absolutely love this. As previously mentioned, it would be amazing for Aegises and other limited multi-form dragons we have (and may have in the future!). 

That on top of being able to more reliably make lineages with dragons that only breed true once a year, this would be an awesome change. We keep getting more and more awesome new dragons but it's very unfortunate having such a hard limit on yearly pairings. 

Also support. If necessary, make it two in their first year of appearing, and then let us catch another two in the holiday biome, which would also help to keep it moving for others.

Broadly have no strong feelings, which you can take as approval. I believe frozen CBs still count towards the total, so it might be nice to pick up a couple more of the earlier breeds without having to release my really old holidays (still hoping to one day get an unfreezing option for a few older dragons...)

I do think it would be good to let people pick up extras of the more common breeds. Not every player is going to rush out and grab two extra hollies and yulebocks, so I'm sure it won't have a huge long-term effect on availability. If anything it might actually help to clear the biomes out a bit.

If there's a real concern about hoarding, maybe limiting the number of 'CBs per year' or 'CBs at one time' might be a viable alternative. If memory serves, the reason for the limitations is that "holidays are for giving gifts to others, halloween is about grabbing everything for yourself". I think a shorter-term limit would still fit in with that philosophy- there are people the world over who give/get socks or chocolate or alcohol every year for christmas. You can give and recieve a little of the same thing each year without that affecting the spirit of the holidays or any other gifts.

-------------------------

On 2/4/2021 at 10:43 PM, KrazyKarp said:

I totally understand the game doesn't need to cater to my playstyle,

One of the most common comments in any new suggestion thread is "this suggestion isn't compatible with everyone's playstyle" so honestly, I think the game DOES need to cater to your playstyle on this.

Edited by _Charky

I support raising to cb limit to 4 at the very least. I would love to be able to have 2 cb enraged Aegis dragons to do my own 3G checkers, since mine are both permanently pacified. 

2 hours ago, mishhelle said:

I support raising to cb limit to 4 at the very least. I would love to be able to have 2 cb enraged Aegis dragons to do my own 3G checkers, since mine are both permanently pacified. 

Same -_-

^ Agreeing with the above Aegis statements, but as someone who has one of each variant. -_- A lot of users have them like this because why wouldn't you want at least one of each CB holiday sprite? However, this means that we all have to entirely rely on other users' dragons to complete projects.
Introducing a new limit of four Caveborns would also allow users to have one of each Glystere pattern if they wanted, and it would give artists the ability to also own the official CB sprites of their dragons.

Full support. 🤍

Edited by Sketch

21 minutes ago, FuecocoBoi09 said:

Now I want 2 a year.

If you look at previous threads I believe TJ said he specifically wouldn't do that? I don't remember the exact wording but I think other users mentioned that in this thread

I would however support raising the limit to 4, although it will make the first year of that hectic for newer users as it may be harder to get CB holidays of specific breeds with higher limits (but it's inevitable)

Edited by 04uni