ayuzo34

Paper, cheese and dinos

Hello everybody,

I still don't know after many years involved in Dragon cave... How to catch papers, cheese and dinos? Is there any specific routine or time or something?

Thanks,

-ayuzo34

It's mostly patience and luck (and fast clicking when they come up) for me.  Dinos only appear in the jungle; papers and cheeses can be anywhere at any time.

There really is no pattern or specific times with any of the different breeds dropping (at least, not that we are privy to), it's often a matter of just sitting there refreshing over and over (and over and over) and hoping. I normally hang out in the Jungle because of the Dinos, and while there I've also caught multiple papers and cheeses. For the Dinos, what helps me is noticing that long description, if it's an unusually long description there's a good chance it may be a Dino (and if you notice the 'brightly colored' in the description, even better!). 

18 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

There really is no pattern or specific times with any of the different breeds dropping (at least, not that we are privy to), it's often a matter of just sitting there refreshing over and over (and over and over) and hoping. I normally hang out in the Jungle because of the Dinos, and while there I've also caught multiple papers and cheeses. For the Dinos, what helps me is noticing that long description, if it's an unusually long description there's a good chance it may be a Dino (and if you notice the 'brightly colored' in the description, even better!). 

Unless, of course, you reflex-click on anything with the words "brightly colored" in it, which might give you a striped dragon instead. XD 

If you're struggling to catch a dragon that you want, you can always save up your shards and buy it in the Market. :)

I would seriously love to know the trick people who catch Cheeses use! I swear it can't just be patience! I've been waiting in a single biome and never saw a Cheese! Sure, I've caught a few, but I've had to trade for about 75% of my Cheese army (over 125 Cheese right now).

Dinos used to be easy to catch. I'd just hang out in the Forest or Jungle (can't remember which one was best) and they would just appear. Chickens appear pretty frequently in the Alpine, at least for me. I'm rarely fast enough to grab one, but when I do, it usually goes toward getting more Cheeses. I honestly can't remember the last time I caught a Paper! Those are sure elusive. I have caught about 10 CB Silvers since I last saw a Paper in the caves. My special tinsel girl has even bred 3 tinsel babies since I last saw a Cheese. This is rare, because she's VERY stubborn. 

I guess just being the right place at the right time is your best bet for these cuties. Or trading for them. I've managed to get quite a lot of Cheeses by simply catching and raising a lot of CB commons. People will happily trade a Cheese for around 4 CB common hatchies. They don't want to waste their egg slots on commons, so it's easy to trade CB commons for a rare. I even once got a CB silver for 4 CB commons. This person was one of those "been around since the beginning, has everything" people and just wanted some commons for scroll goals.

I've never seen a dino in-biome despite lurking every moment I had a free slot in Jungle, praying. Same with chickens, never see them. I've seen one Cheese ever, obviously I missed it. And Papers seem to weirdly gravitate toward me? I've caught three myself with no trouble, every time I've see one.

As far I know, you just lurk in the necessary biome and pray you see it AND you're the fastest to click it. Or somehow get yourself a better rare and trade for it, with even more praying. Or find someone who catches them a lot but has no need and would rather trade them away for commons and such.

Either way...lots of praying for speed involved, imo.

The cave will refresh available eggs every 5 minutes. If you have fast internet and/or little time, you can try refreshing only on those 5 minute drops instead of waiting the rest of the time for someone to grab an egg.

... or the desire to catch something else entirely, since they often pop up when you *don't* look for them.

2 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Dinos only appear in the Jungle.

OMG, thank you! This helps a lot. I've been wondering why I haven't been seeing too many lately. Do they ALL just appear in the Jungle? All colors of Dino?

16 minutes ago, Suzumiya said:

OMG, thank you! This helps a lot. I've been wondering why I haven't been seeing too many lately. Do they ALL just appear in the Jungle? All colors of Dino?

All colours of Dino, yes.

Cheese, Chicken and Paper can appear everywhere.

The Encyclopedia tells you, if you've unlocked their respective pages.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

2 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

All colours of Dino, yes.

Cheese, Chicken and Paper can appear everywhere.

The Encyclopedia tells you, if you've unlocked their respective pages.

........./facepalm

I should have read my encyclopedia entries instead of asking stupid questions here. Sorry! I feel dumb now. 

So, what's the best biome for Cheeses? Haha.

Pretty much luck of the draw from what I've seen. It's more about being in the right place at the right time to catch them.

1 hour ago, animatedrose said:

I've never seen a dino in-biome despite lurking every moment I had a free slot in Jungle, praying. Same with chickens, never see them. I've seen one Cheese ever, obviously I missed it. And Papers seem to weirdly gravitate toward me? I've caught three myself with no trouble, every time I've see one.

Funny, for me it's usually that Papers are the most elusive :o Dinos are the easiest because you can hunt them specifically in one biome, Cheeses and Chickens just show up randomly while looking for something else... but Papers I basically don't see ever (like CB Silvers / Golds)

What is your own tactic to catch Papers, Cheese, Dinos, Silver or Gold? What brought you the most success so far? 

My tactics for Gold? Wait until everyone else is busy with a site event ... :rolleyes: That was the only time I caught some on my own.

When I am hunting something I am finding hard to get, this is what I do - 1 to 3 times a day, I hold down the ctrl key, click "R" to reload the page as quickly as possible and constantly click the left mouse button til I have all the eggs my scroll can hold. After 5 hours, I abandon the unwanted eggs. If I catch a desirable egg (other than the one I am aiming for) I try to trade it for the egg I want. It took me 3 months of this to catch a Gold, but that was still faster than catching one in normal hunting. Often, I did this just before bed, so I could abandon when I rose.

I don't get it... Why would you randomly take 5 eggs from, let's say Jungle, and then abandon it after 5h?

It clears out the backlog in the biome and possibly then the egg you want will show up from behind all those other eggs.. But you have to wait 5 hours to abandon a biome-caught egg.

15 minutes ago, ayuzo34 said:

I don't get it... Why would you randomly take 5 eggs from, let's say Jungle, and then abandon it after 5h?

Because there is a chance that one of the eggs that shows up is something good and if you are clicking fast enough you might be lucky enough to grab it before anyone else gets a chance to see it. It's a good tactic if you have scroll space that you won't be using for the next five hours -- like while you are sleeping or something.

Okay, I understand more now haha thanksss

Edited by ayuzo34

Hunt at 'weird' hours, when a lot of people are asleep. Sometimes I'll be on around 1am or so (shhhh, I'm supposed to be asleep then!) and the biomes seem to be quieter around that time. Which means when valuable eggs do show up, they'll usually stick around a second or two longer, giving me a better chance of actually getting them.