TerraAnne

Birthday surprise rare?

Yeah, I'm more in favor of a badge or something rather than a dragon.

Or even something temporary, like how when you view your Twitter profile on your birthday it makes balloons appear.

16 minutes ago, TerraAnne said:

If multiple forms is not interesting then perhaps only one form and one color might be better?

3 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Eh, I’m not really interested in another dragon that can’t breed true. Might as well just give out a birthday badge or something.

That being said, neutral turns to no if there’s going to be multiple forms / colors. I realize the lack of these things means people might not get a birthday “present” that suits their wants, but I’d vastly prefer that over introducing a ton of new dragons in forms / colors that you can only get at a rate of one per year. For most collectors (and collectors are what DC is, unsurprisingly, centered around!), that’s not a gift, that’s a nightmare.

I had sort of assumed these would be only one color or whatever.

Because of the above and if custom codes for prizes would be a lot of work to make...personalized colors for this would be too.

I didn't get the idea that that was what the OP was suggesting.

Edited by JavaTigress

If this were implemented, I would like to see people who have birthdays/anniversaries that fall within the holiday weeks to have a belated/delayed birthday bash. It's not really fair to force them to take an egg during holiday times when everything is so busy - or make the egg claimable for a period of like, 3 weeks so people can take theirs whenever they'd like. 

21 minutes ago, Alrexwolf said:

If this were implemented, I would like to see people who have birthdays/anniversaries that fall within the holiday weeks to have a belated/delayed birthday bash. It's not really fair to force them to take an egg during holiday times when everything is so busy - or make the egg claimable for a period of like, 3 weeks so people can take theirs whenever they'd like. 

I didn't think of this. That would kind of be annoying. Though if we could set our own birthdays (even if we use a false birthday to keep privacy)  couldn't we set them to some random day nowhere near a major holiday to avoid that kind of madness?

Also I'll edit the first post to have the single type and color dragon idea now. ^-^

Edited by TerraAnne
misspelled stuff fixed

1 hour ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

@JavaTigress multiple forms and colors were suggested right in the OP

Even without them, like I said before, non-true-breeding dragons are kinda meh.

O.o oh! Clearly I need to read a bit more carefully, then.

As there are no compelling reasons why there should be a birthday dragon, I'm afraid this suggestion will probably be low priority even if it is considered.

That said, I'm somewhere between neutral and positive about this suggestion if

1. There are no multiple variations of the dragon

2. You do not get eggs if you missed the birthday/join date(I think checking on the site on that particular date counts as 'work done' for an egg?)

3. They are untradeable.

For the breeding part, maybe we lock the 'breed itself' to be untradeable, breeding true could work? For example, if a 2G from the B-day dragon is a B-day dragon, it would be untradeable, but if it's a breed from the other parent, it would be tradeable. We all get a 100% chance of getting one CB B-day egg a year as long as we don't miss the date, so I don't think breeding lots of B-day dragons within one's scroll wouldn't matter as long as it can't become trading fodder.

Honestly, I'm not too into this suggestion myself.  I could get behind the idea of having a special sprite for dragons caught on your birthday though. :)

I dunno, the sprites would be birthday themed or something.

I just... don’t understand why this would be needed though? I honestly find a dragon given for a special date like a birthday/anniversary sort of unnecessary. Especially because I don’t see how those dates are of such importance that a new, special breed needs to be made for it. 

But that’s just me.

1 hour ago, TerraAnne said:

Though if we could set our own birthdays (even if we use a false birthday to keep privacy)  couldn't we set them to some random day nowhere near a major holiday to avoid that kind of madness?

having a birthday right on top of Christmas, I never get to celebrate my birthday on my birthday because all my friends are gone home, so like... not lovin' the concept.

Personally, I’m highly in favor of a badge to a dragon, and I’m even more in favor of a badge for the anniversaries of our join dates. It creates a lot less drama than a whole new dragon would, and also would be a lot less work to implement, in my opinion. 

On the topic of the badge, perhaps every different join year has a different badge. For simplicity’s sake, it could be something like a cake that says the join year, so that the effort involved for each newcoming year is minimal and there are very few differences between years. Alternatively, the badge could count the number of years you’ve been on DC! They’re separate ideas from the original suggestion, but it could also be implemented for birthdays- though if there was a badge for how many birthday’s you’ve celebrated on DC, it would be very similar to the anniversary concept, which is why I find it pretty much unnecessarily complicated compared to the anniversary one. 

Having a special dragon for my birthday would be wonderful ... and may be my only gift.

Is a lovely idea ...  (y)

whether it is do-able is another matter ....  but it's the thought that counts.  :P 

@Whirlaway I mean, this is a game about collecting pixel dragons and getting all excited over them. The game itself isn't necessary. Thus rejecting something simply because it's unnecessary doesn't seem a strong argument, haha! If it's highly wanted and doesn't disturb the existing game, then why not? Those are the points for discussion, I think.

Anyway I'm just here to keep playing devil's advocate because I'm pretty neutral on it, but:

1) Why not let birthday dragons breed true? Everyone's getting one at a rate of one per year, so the gap between the "haves" and "have nots" would by necessity close up way too fast to make them much of a rare commodity. It would also let people actually get some use out of them, making them more than glorified scroll badges, and might even facilitate cute between-friend trading ("I'd be honored if you'd accept this egg from my Festivity Dragon, you mean a lot to me and...")

2) In regards to passing out eggs to people with holiday birthdays--I believe during the pre-monthly raffle prize distributions, if someone won an egg it showed up on their scroll regardless of if they were locked or not? That one "extra space" only applied to the dragon and went away when it was mature, so you couldn't abuse it in any way to sneakily get an extra egg of a normal breed. Something like that would work just fine in this case too, I reckon.

Hmm, that thing about holiday birthdays is a point.

Maybe not an exact birthday dragon, but a birth month dragon instead? (Even more fun - do you guys remember that old dragon concept in DR about birthstone dragons?) Even if it's a different dragon every month, it will give us at least one special CB, and we could trade that one's offspring for the other breeds. Or make these "birth month dragons" breed like seasonals...