SkySong278

A Knight's Story

He followed her out and headed to the blacksmith that handled his sword. The metal was difficult to work with without special knowledge of the blade so he had to use only one blacksmith and never had to sharpen it. 

----

"Well, it's said only maidens can attract them by a pond. I don't know if it will work but a pure hearted person could call a unicorn. " Avery said softly. 

She followed after him to the blacksmith to retrieve his sword. “Will you have to pay him to get it back or just pick it up?” she asked curiously when they were almost there.

-•-•-

“Oh and I guess as long as you’re pure of heart it’ll work,” Cody said in reply as he continued to ride along beside him.

"He gets paid from my father's bank. I sign a invoice and he takes it to the bank to get the money. He has a thing about customers and receiving large amounts of money directly from them. Apparently one guy gave him a bag of bolts and ten coins on a thousand gold coin project. He beat the crap out of him and got his money and project back but he's been weary ever since. Considering my sword was burned in dragon flame then cooled in it's blood, it transformed the steel into something stronger than a enchanted blade. The thing could cut through a anvil and not dull. The only thing needed to be fixed is the hilt but that's gold mixed with platinum and he's mixing diamond powder in it to make it stronger it's quite expensive. His work is always high quality."  He explained.

---

"Hopefully it works. It was around here..." He said getting off near the base of the split tree cliff where the black Pegasus was last seen. 

“Oh okay. That comes in handy I’m sure. I feel sorry for that other guy but he should have paid him the amount that the job was worth. That’s interesting about your sword. I didn’t know that. Ah okay and it sounds like he’s very talented at what he does,” she said in reply just as they arrived outside the smithy.

-•-•-

He nodded and then also dismounted while following after him. He figured Toro and Spot would be good enough in that small time-frame for him to not have to stay with them to make sure that they’d be good.

Edited by SkySong278

"It happened when my  great grandpa killed the dragon. He said and went into the neat shop that held amazing weapons from intricately carved bows, swords, daggers, knives , throwing knives , hatchets and axes among many other sharp implements. The man didn't look like a blacksmith at all. He was thin, reedy, with a wispy beard and acne. He introduced himself as Logan.  Zane talked for a little bit then a mountain of a man came up through a door with his sword and the invoice.  Zane signed it and took his sword back.

---

He called out to the Pegasus with his mind. 

((Can you play it again?))

“Oh okay,” she said in reply before following him into the store. Her eyes widened in surprise when she saw all the intricate weapons that were there, thinking that they were very well crafted. She was still looking at them when he greeted the big, tall man that owned the store but turned just in time to see him sign what she thought was the invoice before he took his sword back. “Ready to head back?” she asked when she moved to be next to him again.

-•-•-

((sure :)))

After a little while or so after Avery sent out the call with his mind the black Pegasus that had saved Alex the day she accidentally fell off the cliff, came and landed in front of both him and Cody.

You requested my presence? How’s that kind girl doing? I hope she’s recovering well, he asked and said while looking curiously at Avery. 

Edited by SkySong278

"After this." He said with a grin amd handed her the sword. He opened the pouch and the big man (according to the shops name was Robert but called Rob) who always held a no-nonsense I don't deal with crap look on his face  suddenly morphed into a equally terrifying look of aww when he saw the little kitten. "Such a pretty baby!" He petted Bunny with a single finger.  "He could have a play date with my babies. I take in stray cats and my house is full of them. My wife started it before she passed and my daughter Vic is keeping it up. We had three litters of kittens five weeks ago so when he's stronger he can come and socialize." He made cooing noises scratching Bunny's chin making him purr. 

"This person is good. I like them mama." The kitten mewed. 

-----

Avery spoke out loud offering the stallion a slice of a pear. "She's recovering well. The man she was with on the cliff is also really nice and she's almost completely recovered with his help. She's walking around better now. I need a couple ingredients for a flight potion and I need two black feathers from you to complete it. Could I pluck a couple of loose feathers from you? I wanted to get permission to use them for magic. "  He explained. "And if you know any mare unicorns in the area can you ask them to come to the lake? I need three tail hairs and again, I want to ask and make sure it comes from the creature itself. I know many bad spells use those materials so beautiful magical creatures like yourself are weary of mages." 

She took the sword with a curious look on her face when she saw his grin but then kind of understood when she saw him take Bunny out of the pouch to show the store’s owner. She smiled at seeing how he acted around their kitten and then also hid a small giggle behind her hand when she heard what Bunny said. “He likes you sir,” she said when she had herself composed from giggling and was only showing the smile.

-•-•-

Cody watched from a few feet away while leaning against the trunk of a nearby tree so as to not get in the way at all.

That’s good to hear on both counts. Sure I don’t see why not, the Pegasus said in reply after eating the offered pear slice before hearing everything else that was asked and said. I’ll see what I can do and you’re a much kinder mage than other ones I’ve talked with before. I’ll make sure to tell one of them that when I ask to meet you at the lake. I’ll be off then to do that and make sure to keep an eye on that girl to make sure she fully recovers. I’ve been hearing all of the other animals talking about a wedding that’s going to be happening soon that’s for her. I hope she’s fully well by then. He then took a running leap and flew back towards the way he had come, looking for mare unicorns on the way back to his herd to pass along Avery’s message.

Edited by SkySong278

Zane said his goodbyes and left for home. "Bunny must be hungry now. And so am I." He said taking her hand and holding it as they walked down the street together. 

----

"Yes, to the man you saw at the cliff. He loves her very much. Thanks for helping me!"he called out and went to Cody telling him what went on and the plans by the lake. He told him to watch but keep a distance unicorns can be skittish when it comes to swords out of fear of their horns being cut off and went sitting down by the lake. 

“I bet he is and I am as well,” she said also after saying goodbye to Robert and then enjoyed him taking and holding her hand as they walked through town to head back home. “What should we have for dinner? Also I was thinking about working on going up the stairs again after we eat,” she said and asked when they were about halfway back to their house.

-•-•-

Cody listened to everything Avery said regarding about what had occurred between him and the black pegasus. He nodded and then in reply to what he said about him staying at a distance so as not to spook the unicorn he said, “I’ll just stay here because that might be safest.” He then made himself comfortable on the ground by sitting against the trunk of the tree while keeping an eye on Avery who was now at the lake.

The black pegasus was now almost back to his herd but kept true to his word to the kind mage and passed her (forget if he’s dressed as a boy or girl but can edit if it’s supposed to be ‘he’ instead) message onto a white unicorn mare he saw on his way back. The white unicorn mare had listened to the pegasus’ message and nodded before making her way to the lake where she saw her sitting down by it.

You’re the kind mage the pegasus told me about I presume? she asked as she cautiously approached and stopped a short distance away from her.

Zane started to think about the dinner. "How about you work on the stairs while I make dinner? I'm going to make a traditional Spanish dish i haven't had for a long time. " He said with a grin. 

----

(Just assume Avery is dressed like a girl unless I scribe otherwise. I use he so I don't get confused.)

Avery nodded. "Yes, I am Avery. I know you can see through lies so I will not lie to you. I need three hairs from your tail for a flight potion. I asked the Pegasus to ask you to come because.... Well I am no maiden. " He shifted uncomfortably. "I dress like this to be more comfortable and confident. Just humans don't understand what very well and what they don't understand they hurt. I'm rambling, I'm sorry. If you allow me to, can I cut three hairs? I have a tiny pair of sewing scissors with me so I don't pluck them and hurt you."

((okay))

“Okay. Oh is the dish a surprise and that’s why you’re not telling me exactly what it is and why you don’t want me near the kitchen as you make it?” she asked curiously in reply when she saw his grin after hearing his suggestion and part of what he was planning on making for dinner. She then noticed that they had gotten back home and used her copy of the key to unlock the front door. “I’ll work on going up the stairs while you put dinner together,” she said before heading towards the staircase.

-•-•-

The unicorn mare listened carefully to everything that Avery said, tilting her head curiously at hearing that the mage wasn’t actually a girl but liked that he was being honest. It’s okay and yes you may. I’d prefer that over you plucking them, she said before walking a bit closer so that he could do what he needed to.

Edited by SkySong278

Zane nodded and when they got home had her try to walk up all three floors three times. If she could handle that, try it with his sword for weight. Meanwhile he was busy making paella a rice and beans dish with rabbit. He hummed as he cooked singing in Spanish about a dancing girl, her love a Matrador and how they both tragically met their end at the horns of the bull that escaped from the arena.

----

Avery was very careful. He picked out three strands and cut them near the rear so he had more to work with and then went to the front offering her a half of pear. "Thank you so much for your time and help. Please, if you're ever in need of assistance let me help you in repayment for your generosity. "

She did as he suggested with the stairs, managing to make it up all three floors after a little while the first time and then went back down which also took a little while to do. About halfway through the second trip of going up and down the stairs to all three floors three times, she got better and was able to move faster. When she got back downstairs after the third time, she did the same thing with Zane's sword.

-•-•-

The mare waited patiently until he was done and then ate the half of the pear that was offered to her before listening to everything he said afterward. You’re welcome and I’ll make sure to do that, she said in reply before turning and galloping back in the direction she had come from to get back to her herd.

Zane set the table. "It's ready love a little spicy but I hope you like it." He sat down and tucked in sighing with bliss at the spicy food.  It was the only thing he could taste for that part of his tounge wasn't burned. 

-------

Avery went back to Cody and pocketed the items carefully. "You ready to go back?" He asked him. 

“Alright. Be right down and no I don’t mind spicy food one bit,” Alex said in reply before heading back down the stairs after making it up to the last floor a final time while her legs felt a bit heavy. She sat down at the table after making her way both slowly and carefully there. “My legs feel like lead,” she said after swallowing her first bite of what he made and setting down his sword in one of the other chairs beside her. “I’m sure they’ll feel better after I do it a few more times and I just need to get used to the movement.” She ate another bite and had a look of bliss on her own face when she ate that bite and then swallowed before taking another bite. “Mm this is so good. You’ve outdone yourself mi amor.”

-•-•-

“Yep if you are,” Cody said in reply after Avery had come back and put the items he had received away in pockets. He then whistled for Toro and Spot to come and they came before moving to help Avery get up on Toro’s back.

"Good, everything from Spain is spicy. Well take a break tonight. I'll rub your legs and feet after dinner. Loosen the muscles a little. " He said already finished with half his meal.

--

Avery nodded, mounted Toro and  headed back to the castle. 

“I’m glad I won’t be the odd one out then. If I didn’t like spicy food, I’d be the black sheep of the herd but I guess I already am since I’m not from there. Okay and that sounds wonderful,” she said in reply to everything he said before completely finishing eating her meal. “Has Bunny already been fed or do you want me to feed him? I can also clean up the kitchen if he has already eaten. Oh also, have we decided when the wedding would be? I forget if we talked about that or not yet.”

-•-•-

Cody got up on Spot’s back and followed after Avery and Toro back towards the castle.

Edited by SkySong278

((what do you mean? For the wedding or the ball?))

"He hasn't, would you please feed him? I'll do the kitchen, I made the mess. No we didn't talk about a date. Hm.. how about.... six months from now? that'll give time for my family to prepare for the trip and us for the expenses, invitations and mother time to finish your dress and it'll put us in spring time."

----

Avery put up Toro, brushed him down and picked out his hooves, gave him oats with a small handful of dried apple so he had hidden treats inside the bag and slipped a note to them under their door heading back to the wearhouse to finish his potion. 

((you had another small post, that I guess you hid, that said that you didn’t plan on ending the evening yet with that small a post so I was just curious to see if you had anything planned for Zane and Alex or not))

“Okay and sure I can. Alright but I wanted to clean it since you made dinner and help out. That sounds good and that would definitely be enough time for us to finish prepping what we need to as well. That sounds perfect. Spring’s one of my favorite times of the year.”

-•-•-

Cody put Spot back in his own stall, brushed him down really well, gave him some food and water, and then left to head back to the warehouse behind Avery after the former had left a note for Zane and Alex.

Edited by SkySong278

((nah, the post before was triple 6. Not ending the night on that number ))

Zane grinned. "Wonderful! You think Avery could write up the invitations?  Or at least make the first copy and I'll get them completed. We need about two hundred.... More then half will go to my family in Spain and a couple of my father's relitives, and of course my dad his sister, your dad grandpa and family so I believe that should be enough." He said counting on his fingers. 

------

Avery worked on his potion, muttering spells and chants under his breath adding the feathers and hair and stired until the liquid in the coldren turned a creamy white with grey patterns. As he poured it into two feather shaped viles they looked like a dove's feather and a snowy owl feather. He corked them, sealed it with wax. "Done!"

((oh okay))

“Although, to be honest, that might feel a bit too long for me to finally be wed to you but I can wait that long anyway. I think he would be a good choice to get the invitations done and I think that’s a good amount. That should cover everyone we’ll be inviting,” she said in reply before getting up to get the milk and glove ready. Once they were ready, she located Bunny, and started to feed him the milk while sitting back in her seat at the table. That was also when she noticed a piece of paper near the front door so she got up and picked it up carefully while squatting so as not to disturb the still feeding Bunny and then straightened back up to read what it said while heading back towards the kitchen. “We got a note from Avery mi amor,” she said.

-•-•-

Cody watched everything that he did and listened to everything he said with interest before he was done after sealing the potions in feather shaped viles with wax and then corking them afterward. “Very nice,” he said with a smile. “Are you going to put them with your collection?”

Edited by SkySong278

"really? What does it say?"  he asked looking over her shoulder.

Sis, the horses are back in the stables, brushed and fed. We're heading back home.  Have you heard about the ball next month? The prince is looking for a wife within the borders. I think it's a good idea. I hope to see you before then though! Love you sister, 

Avery.

"Wait there is a ball? " Zane asked tilting his head.

------

"One yes, the other is for my Master to test to see if I did it correctly. It's an easy potion with no particular way to stir or add ingredients the only difficult thing is the unicorn hair and pegesi feathers. Unicorns can see through lies, so I told her exactly what I'd do with her hair. She was still nervous though." He turned and grinned brightly at Cody happy tears in his eyes. "But she said I was the kindest mage she has met! I got complemented from a unicorn!" He jumped up and down. "And I got to meet one! She was beautiful, snow looks pale in comparison to her!she glowed with magic and her voice was like a trill of a Nightingale with hum of hummingbird wings! I've been wanting to meet a unicorn since I was a little boy!" 

“Mhm. Your mom told me about it when I went to see the progress on my dress. She also said that for all the girls that are already taken, that they’d wear ribbons in their hair so that it wouldn’t be confusing as to who was taken and who wasn’t and also that I’d be required to just wear my guard uniform instead of an actual dress. I also got to see what Avery’s dress looks like that he designed himself. It’s very pretty. She also gave me the option of seeing your tux for the wedding but I declined since I want to be surprised,” Alex said in reply after they both read the note.

-•-•-

“Ah okay. Nice to know and I know. I was there so I saw how she acted but still very exciting to have seen one. I didn’t hear what she said but I’m glad she thought that way about you,” he said in reply before chuckling a bit and smiling at how excited Avery was. “That’s a very descriptive and an accurate way of saying how she looked. I agree. I’ve wanted to see one ever since I saw one in a children’s book.”

"I saw mine. Lovely work she did and the color is marvelous! It looks nearly seemless! The embroidery details are lovely as well, subtle but stunning." He said talking in vague terms to not spoil it for her but letting her know it was a work of art. "I'm glad you'll be there. And your brother too. Knowing mom's work and Avery's style Cody will have to pick up his jaw from the floor!" He chuckled. 

-----

"I'm glad you saw her too. I have to draw her!" He said and got out his old sketch book blew off the dust and turned to a page to draw the unicorn, tounge between his teeth as he concentrated.