SkySong278

A Knight's Story

"I know you have one already but... They were a method of keeping track of whom I met and liked. Red are for those who are too young, old, taken or of age just not what I'm looking for. Greens as you have seen are for those who I am interested in and this one is... " He cleared his throat. "Means that I would like to court you... If you don't mind, and of course your parents will receive a offical letter informing them of my intentions. " He said shyly blushing. 

“Oh? I just thought they were party favors but that was a very creative way of keeping track of everyone,” she said before hearing the part of him wanting to court her and that was what the one he just gave to her meant. “Really? I don’t mind at all and okay,” she said in reply a bit shyly herself and with a small blush on her cheeks as well. “I don’t know what to do in a courtship because no one has ever wanted to court me before today,” she said softly after a few minutes.

"Uh well... I was only taught how to court a princess.... But if it works out you would be one.. so um... I can help with that? Zane would be our chaperone or another guard.  We can start with dinner a week from now? Pasta in the garden?" He asked putting the feather in her hair. "The pins where Avery's idea, our mage. She could be our chaperone too. " He said clearing his throat again. "Ah.. we have tea up here, or lemonade?" He said getting up hands trembling from nervousness. He set the rattling pitcher and cup down and took a deep breath. "I never courted either, so I guess this will be a experience for the both of us..."

“Oh and I’d like that very much. Him as our chaperone would be fine. That sounds like a very good plan for both the dinner date and the food for dinner. I can ride my horse here with some guards,” she said in reply as he put the pin with the feather in her hair. “Oh? Well she did a very good job with them. Maybe or could the lady knight I’ve heard so much about be our chaperone as well?” she asked and said in reply regarding who had made the pins as well as her being their other chaperone before hearing the question about the drinks that were up there. “Oh I’d like tea please,” she said in reply to it and noticed him being nervous. She was as well but tried not to show it too much. “That makes me feel slightly better knowing that this will be a new experience for the both of us.”

"Yeah. I thought so too. " He handed her tea and held his own cup. "It's chamomile and honey. It calms you down and helps with nerves and sleep. Alex can be a chaperone but can't have her and Zane together. Someone has to train the new recruits and they distract each other a little bit. Zane says he doesn't get distracted when working but considering that many people are upset over the cancelled wedding that would have been big money for the entire kingdom with travelers and people crossing the land to get here... Well I'm not going to take a chance with distraction.." he said sheepishly. "I sometimes disguise myself to walk among the people and the responses I get are a mix of pity or anger. I know that people are not going to be acting on their frustrations with the crowned prince, but... I don't want to be the one to put you in potential danger because of some lost revenue of inn workers and  restaurant owners..." 

“Chamomile is one of my favorite kinds of tea and I usually put honey in it when I make it so perfect,” she said after nodding her head in thanks when she was handed the cup of tea before taking a sip and then hearing everything else he said afterward. “Oh okay. I understand. Then I guess Avery can be a chaperone with Zane on our date like you originally suggested. I understand that as well and I hope everyone in town don’t give you those kinds of looks soon as well as not being so frustrated.”

"I hope so too. Oh? It's my favorite tea as well! I have insomnia and it's hard to sleep without it. I've spent a week with only a few hours of sleep drawing and writing in a fenzy. " He said softly sipping his drink. "That would be nice. Maybe go to the beach at one point to?  During our courting I mean."

“Really? I sometimes have trouble sleeping only if my lessons during the day get too busy that they’re still in my head when I go to bed at night,” she said before taking a few other sips of her own tea. “Okay and I’d like that a lot. It’s been awhile since I’ve last been to the beach. I think it was back when I was much younger and my parents would take me there on vacation but we don’t go much anymore.”

"Lady lessons sound just as bad as prince etiquette lessons. I still go through those but not as often as they used to be. I still get stress nightmares about old tests I have to take and I'm stuck to a seat in my undergarments running down the halls to the room." He shivers. "We have a beach Villa we don't visit much anymore because of the kingdom and me being away for school and such. " He said with a soft sigh.

"They can be and I do as well. I guess my mom would like to refresh me on everything and keep me up to date about anything else I need to know about being a lady. I've had to take etiquette tests and I've had a nightmare once or twice about getting the silverware position wrong and using the wrong utensil for something I'm not supposed to and my mom turning into some kind of demon-like creature/monster before blowing fire at me. I don't have those anymore thankfully since I've ended up passing but I still practice in case I'm ever needed to use them at some function," she said before finishing drinking her tea and then hearing the rest of what he said afterward. "Oh that sounds like a nice place. I think we've only ever borrowed a place from a friend of my parents to stay at the beach and we don't own one. Maybe we can go to your villa when we go to the beach for our date?" she said and asked curiously in reply.

Edited by SkySong278

"Oh my! That's a nightmare definitely! Yes that sounds like a plan. Zane and Avery can come with us after she does the greenhouse for mother." He said softly.

“Yes it was but I don’t have it anymore, or any nightmare really, which is a relief. Okay. So pasta dinner date in the garden next week and then beach date when the greenhouse is finished,” she said in reply and summed up their dates with when they’d have them with a inquisitive expression on her face. “So what happens now?”

"Um..... I don't know. Why don't we finish our tea and go back to the ballroom and speak to my parents about the next course of action? I believe this means the ball ends early possibly. " He mused sipping his tea. He was comfortable around her. It was easy to slip into a nice silence and simply enjoy her company. Much like his mother and father do. One minute they'll be in a intense conversation then the next they'll be sipping their drinks looking at the flowers in the garden or studying each other loveingly. 

"Oh okay. I'm guessing the festival will also end early and there won't be any fireworks?" she said and asked before finishing drinking her tea afterward. She refilled it a bit to continue drinking something while also feeling comfortable with both being around him and to slip into a comfortable silence with. She finished drinking the second helping of her tea after thinking about a few things and then just looked out at the garden that was lit up with the almost full moon that was in the sky.

"Oh no no no. The festival is still going to go on and the fireworks mark the end of the ball. With it like this, clear and calm tonight, there's no way Avery will miss a magic show. And besides, it's her test of spells and skills she learned. She will be the next place mage after all. The people have to know how skillful the mage is so when they put in requests for magical assistance we can prioritize the requests based on how long Avery's stamina holds out. Judging from what I've heard, Avery is possibly the most powerful royal mage yet and she's only on her first official year of studies." He finished his drink and got up. "We should get back. Perhaps you can watch the fireworks from the castle before you go home tonight?" He held out a hand to help her up.

"Oh okay. So just the ball part downstairs will be over but the festival outside and the magic show will still go on. Yes I agree that the weather's good for something like what Avery would like to do later on tonight. I can't wait to see it. I'm very interested in seeing something like that because I've never seen a magic show before. The part of the kingdom that I live in, doesn't have mages. Oh wow that's very talented," she said before hearing the last thing he said and asked afterward. "Okay and oh yes I'll definitely stay around for that. I'll tell the carriage drivers to wait until after the show's over for us to leave," she said before taking his offered hand and standing up with his help. “Shall we head back downstairs then?”

Edited by SkySong278

~~tsing a week later~~

It was a couple of days after Edward and Alivia’s first date where they had a pasta dinner in the garden and she thought that it had gone well. She was back at her house, relaxing on the hill that she stargazed on at times while her horse grazed nearby and some guards that had accompanied her there kept watch. She was taking a small break from putting a bag together for their next date that would take place at the beach and in three weeks’ time. After relaxing a bit more, she got back on her horse, and headed back to the house with the guards.

~•~•~

Alex was standing by as Cody helped Avery put together a portal that would transport them to where they needed to go in order to get what was needed for the queen’s greenhouse, not really supervising but being there in case she was needed to help them.

((can edit anything I put in case I put something wrong))

Edited by SkySong278

More like a week went by after the ball for their pasta date. Two days after that date is fine. Avery had to set everything up for transport spell remember?))

Avery finished the last bit of chalk outline pattern  in the room and sighed in relief. "alright! Now Cody you put this on and follow me through he portal to Sahar. You'll help keep watch for bandits as we transport the goods. " He said handing Cody a traditional Sahar desert outfit. He fixed his own outfit, and put on the head scarf with a sheet matireal covering his face typically worn by the women of the country. 

He set down a stone on the ground away from the portal markings and it sprang up into a intricate peaked doorway with a deep red door with a gold knocker in it and the handle placed in the middle. He knocked on the door with the leopard headed knocker once Cody changed into the outfit then opened the door to a different room, full of sheer drapes, open arching windows with no glass and a blast of hot dry air coming through. He stepped in after Cody did and the door shut then disappeared on Alex's end. 

((k and that’s also why I have Cody helping Avery set it up))

Cody nodded after hearing everything that Avery said and before being handed the traditional Sahar desert outfit. He put it on while waiting for him to do the same and then watched with interest as he made the portal appear. It looked more like a door this time but he still thought it was very nice looking with the deep red color and gold leopard head knocker. He continued to watch with interest when he used the knocker to knock on it which allowed it to be open.

He then looked into the room that it opened into, wondering why the windows didn’t have any glass. He felt the hot, dry blast of air that came through before he entered it and was followed closely by Avery. After he was inside and had looked around a bit more he asked as his attention went back to being on him, “Is this where we put the supplies or do we go outside instead?”

-~-~-

Alex watched everything that went on with interest before the portal/doorway was made and then once they were through it and it had disappeared, she headed back the castle and to her duties as the queen’s guard and trainer of the newest recruits. She started to hum softly to herself as she neared the courtyard and then stopped humming when she went inside.

She then told the guard that was temporarily taking her place outside the queen’s door that he could go back to his usual duties now and he did so as she took up her post again. When Gertrude came out of her room, Alex walked with her and gestured to another guard to take her place for the rest of the day before they headed out to the garden. There they talked and ate some snacks and tea for a bit before they made their way to the courtyard for Alex to start her training job and for Gertrude to be where Harold and, possibly Edward, were.

-~•§•~-

Gertrude was very happy that Edward had found someone he could enjoy being around and with. After the whole incident with Kimberly, she had been a bit worried that he wouldn’t be able to find someone to be comfortable around to go on small dates with like she and Harold had done when they were around his age. She was smiling brightly when she stood beside her husband, not being able to stop her happiness from showing.

Edited by SkySong278

((just focus on Avery and Cody now. K?)

"We go outside. This is the portal room of the sorcerers palace in Sahar. We meet both him and my contact, his apprentice outside. They already gathered all the materials I just need someone to accompany me outside being a girl, they don't know about my secret so me showing up as a guy would confuse things. " He explained to him as they walked through airy corridors to a terrace along the wall then down a narrow staircase with the wall on one side and a drop off a cliff on the other as they wound around a curve in the wall and stepped into a gigantic mosaic courtyard filled with magic circles and transportation spells all formed from tiny square white tiles amidst a sea of  blue tiles.  Three men where there, standing at three of the cardinal points  leaving the west one open for Avery. One was tall and had deep coffee colored skin and had a  large Panther with a multicolored hide as his familiar. It had a sweet smell coming from it. 

The next man was as tall as Cody, olive skin and had a African spotted dog by his side. The third was Avery's teacher and his phoenix hoovered over his head.  Avery joined them .

With a cry of the phoenix they began chanting, the large crates of soil and rocks started to to get different hues around it. East (Avery's teacher) was red, Avery (west) was yellow/gold. South (Sahar apprentice) was royal purple and to the North (Sahar teacher) a sky blue. 

The familiars then started circling around them counter clockwise as the colors went clockwise. They continued until everything was a blur then with a sharp "pop!" The colors shot off to the sky and the items disappeared. 

Right after this the Sahar apprentice and Avery's teacher collapsed. "I'll clean up sir. Cody take AAbdu inside. Sir Delu has master Riko. I'll be right inside." He said waving him over to help the apprentice who had passed out. "Nobody around here so there's no worry about people seeing me. I need to clean the magic residue from the tiles. It'll only take me twenty minutes." 

((okay))

"Okay and I can do that no problem. I understand," he said in reply before walking with him through the corridors to a terrace that was along the wall that they were walking along and then down a staircase that was narrow. The wall was on one side before there was a drop off cliff off the other side of the staircase and then there was a gigantic mosaic courtyard that was around a curve in the wall that was filled with magic circles and transportation spells that were all formed from white tiles that were in the midst of sea blue tiles. He saw the three men standing around three of the cardinal points of north, south, and east which left the west one open for Avery and Isabo. He nodded in greeting to one of the men standing there that had deep coffee colored skin and the panther familiar he had.

He then saw the other man that was the same height as him and also nodded in greeting to him before doing the same to his African spotted dog familiar. Lastly, he did the same to Avery's teacher and his phoenix familiar before the latter joined them in the west cardinal spot in the circle.

After the phoenix cried, he listened to all the men and girls gathered there start chanting before noticing the large crates that had soil and rocks in them start getting different hues around them of red, yellow/gold, royal purple, and sky blue. He stepped back just in case he was transported with the supplies, which he didn't want.

He watched with interest as the familiars started to circle around them counter clockwise and the colors went in the opposite direction of clockwise. He kind of got a bit dizzy as it all became a blur and had to stop watching but then looked back towards the company when he heard the loud "pop" sound which was when the colors shot up to the sky and the items disappeared.

He then grew concerned when he watched as both the apprentice and Avery's teacher collapsed and went towards them. It was then that Avery told him to help the apprentice inside as well as him saying that he'll be inside soon. "Okay but be careful as you clean up. This is a strange place and there could be anyone lurking around," he said softly to him before kissing him softly on the cheek and then helping the apprentice inside behind the Sahar teacher who had Master Riko.

Avery got a broom and started to sweep the ground humming a tune as he cleaned then got down and scrubbed the tiles. When a shadow came up from behind he giggled. "You can't surprise me with the sun behind y-" he turned then froze starting a spell but was knocked out and dragged off by two men. 

Isabo who had carried the collapsed familiar inside  and was preening the phoenix started flapping her wings and screaming. Before a force seemed to yank her from her purch and slam her against the door. Sir Delu straightened as isabo fell to the floor crying softly. "Something is wrong with Avery. She's very far away from Isabo. At least a half day away by now. "He said rushing over to the bird. "But how can she travel that quickly?"

((how should Cody find out who had taken Avery and how long should I have him go on a rescue mission of sorts to get him back? like a couple of days or a week. I don’t think we discussed the details of this so that’s why I’m asking))

Cody was helping keep the apprentice cool and hoped he came to soon while growing a bit worried about Avery. He knew he had said that he’d be inside soon but it seemed like that it was taking a bit longer than soon. He was about to wet a cloth some to put it on the apprentice’s head when Isabo started to flap her wings and scream before she was slammed into a wall by an unknown force. That caused him to look towards the falcon and then for his worriment to grow as well as get concerned when he heard everything that Sir Delu said as an explanation as well as the question he asked. “What? Maybe she was taken but who would take her and why?” he asked in reply while running his fingers through his hair.

Isabo cried softly. "Highway men took her..." Another call. "They.... They gave her to a dragon to gain safe passage and assylem in the hive mountain oasis.  That's why she's so far. It'll take forever to find a person there, but.. if you take isabo with you the familiar/mage connection will pull her twords her master. I'll give you compass. In Sahar they always point twords the hive mountain." He said. "I need to help these too, so you must go alone. "

Cody listened to everything Delu said and nodded before gently picking up Isabo and putting her on his shoulder afterward. “How far away is the hive mountain from here?” he asked the Sahar master curiously. He hoped it wouldn’t take him a week to get there and hopefully maybe only a day or so.