SkySong278

A Knight's Story

Cody nodded and then tuned into the queen and Avery's conversation afterward.

“Yes of course Avery. Hm I don’t think we have those things here but maybe I can send some knights to that area to get those things for you so that you can get that taken care of,” Gertrude said in reply to his question and everything else he said with a thoughtful expression on her face.

“I can go Your Majesty if you don’t need me much during that time and maybe Cody can go with me,” Alex said in reply after the conversation between both her charge and brother was done for the time-being.

»»~««

“Well in any case I’m still not that good at them. I was never able to grasp the understanding of them so I just wrote stories instead to help pass the time. That all sounds interesting, though. Yes and mostly fantasy-type things which pop into my head most of the time,” Alivia said in reply to his statements and questions while still looking up at the sky and stars.

"No." Alex said firmly almost slipping from his falsetto voice. "Ladies there are not aloud out during the day unless with their husband, father or direct sibling. Even then there's a risk of foreigners getting jumped and sold into prostitution both women and men. I have a fellow apprentice there who's master is close friends with mine. I just need the location of where those plants are gathered and he'll fetch them for us. " He said. "And Sadan is so massive, to go there, collect a sufficient amount needed and come back would be about a year and a half worth of travel. With magic it could be collected and transported within a fortnight when the plants arrive. I'll send a letter to the mage tomorrow morning." He explained. 

------

"Fantasy? Like... Mythology stuff? I know some believe that magic and creatures like the Phoenix, unicorns, pegasi, and dragons are not real or no longer around but believe me it is very real. Or... Do you write about horseless carriages that run on steam or these gigantic metal beasts that go on there metal beams on the ground called tracks able to go through mountain sides and under the earth faster than a team of racehorses?" He said looking at her excitedly. "I love those kinds of books!"

((Given this is a fantasy world already their fantisy would be a world of technology of cars and trains, where the 'magic' is man made instead of collected and used from the flow of magic around them.  Like FaryTails other world))

“Oh okay. Never mind then. I was just offering my services to go get those things so that I could be helpful,” Alex said in reply with a small shrug before having her attention be on the crowd again.

Cody just nodded in reply to what Avery said in reply to what Alex said as well as his explanation and what he could do in order to get them there magically.

“Thank you for offering to get those things quicker Avery. I was unaware that it would take a bit longer to get those things if we sent knights there and how long it would take to travel there and back,” Gertrude said in reply with a grateful expression showing on her face as she looked over at the mage.

»»~««

“Both mythology stuff and what you said in regards to horseless carriages and the like. It’s a mix of the stuff around us that is magic and then that other magic. I thought it would be a good way to get the creative part of my brain out more. I do, too. It interests me a lot,” she said in reply to his questions and his last statement that he said excitedly as she looked over at him as well with a twinkle of excitement in her own eyes and a smile.

((got it. I had her say that it was a mix of the fantasy things they have around them and our world to make it interesting))

"You're welcome your highness. And sister, you'd miss your own wedding if you went. Zane would be distraught if you left for a year and a half. " He said softly eating the last bit of food on his plate before taking Alex's hand and holding it. "I'll take care of things. I can do that now. Stop saying things like you'll feel useful, you're needed here to protect the queen and the new queen when she's chosen. Queen Gertrude is partly retired now, but you'll be very busy when Edward marries. " He said patting her hand gently. 

--------

Edward blushed and looked at his shoes. "If you ever want to try and get some published I can proof read them and recommend them to publishers if you want." He said softly. A moment of silence and he cleared his throat standing up. "Well, I must get back to my ball. May we speak again?" He asked handing her a green pin. 

“I didn’t know that kingdom was that far away or I wouldn’t have offered to go in the first place. I’m glad you found a quicker way and I don’t want Zane to be distraught. He’s been that enough lately. I said that I wanted to be more helpful and I meant in other areas. I know and I’m sure that I would be,” Alex said in reply with a smile before noticing Cody move to take Avery’s plate and then get up in order to get more food put on it.

Cody went back to the horderves table after getting the now empty plate and putting a few more things on there, about nine or ten, and then went back over to where Avery still was. He had gotten his own plate to put some food items on since he was now getting a bit hungry as well and brought them both back, giving Avery his and then sat down to hold his own plate while starting to eat his stuff shortly afterward.

»»~««

“Oh I’d appreciate that very much. I’ll let you know when I finish one so that you can do that,” she said in reply with her own blush before standing up after he did and while hearing the other statement he said as well as the question. “Okay and I’ll probably head back inside, too. Of course Your Highness,” she said before taking the green hair pin he gave to her. “Thank you,” she said with a smile before putting it in her hair and then started to head back to where the ball was being held to get there before him so that it didn’t possibly set off any bad tempers among the other girls.

Edited by SkySong278

Avery thanked him and continued his conversation. "I may need to visit via portal to make sure the items are all there and help with the transportation spell but I won't be gone too long when that comes up, I will need a clear space to lay out the runes for the transportation spell and make sure it doesn't have any interferences with it. Do you know of a place?" He asked the queen.

----

Zane bowed to her as she went in and joined the prince again. Around nine at night the king announced that all with red pins or young children will be asked to leave the ball room and head to a festival set up outside so the crowd was thinner to navigate. Those who have yet to receive a pin or have received a green pin are welcomed to stay to chat with the prince a little bit more. The finally happens at midnight. 

“You’re welcome,” Cody said in reply before listening to everything that was discussed between Avery and the queen. He nodded when he heard the former say that he wouldn’t be gone too long as well as what all he needed to do as prep.

“Okay and the middle of the garden should be a big enough area for you to do that in and if not maybe near the gazebo,” Gertrude said in reply to her statement and question after thinking about it for a few minutes.

»»~««

Alivia curtsied back towards Zane when he bowed to her before it struck nine and she heard what all the king announced. She smiled a bit when hearing that she was one of the ones that could stay if she wished in order to chat with the prince some more because she had enjoyed talking with him earlier. She was interested in learning a bit more about him that she didn’t learn when they had talked earlier at the gazebo outside. She walked around and chatted a bit with a few of the girls that remained in order to get to know them a bit more.

Avery thought for a moment. "The prince has a lot of time there, and I can't be on grass. A continuous flat hard surface that I can draw on with chalk and not have to worry about it getting damaged by rain, animals or people. A room inside maybe one that hasn't been used? " He said tilting his head. 

-----

The massive crowd slowly moved out, leaving less than thirty girls with green pins left, a handful of red pins who where flirting with the knights and the fourty or so servents and seventy knights left in the ball room. 

The ones with green pins all gathered together talking about books, one said a poem and had various interests in common with each other, and would have never been brought together if it wasn't for the ball. There was a red haired lass who worked with her mother in a brothel/tavern, she only serving the drinks and kicking out men who got too difficult for the girls and was the only one that attended a public school in the brothel so she'd teach the girls about money handling, counting and writing and want to be a teacher one day. 

Another judging by the poor cloth she had on, was a former slave freed by a merchant who purchased a bunch of slaves only to bring them here and let them go with some funds to support them. She loved the stars and music and dancing. Her hands where hevily calloused from working, skin a deep coco color from the sun and her hair done in narrow braids with blue and white beads and large earings made of wood.

Two other girls where Noble ladies, who where oddly first cousins with each other but looked so much alike they could have been mistaken for twins. They where fair hair and skin with dark brown eyes. 

Needless to say, there was no one particular 'type' of girl. No two (save for the cousins) where alike in any way. All different colors of skin, hair and eyes (one even having a brown and blue eye) and all from vastly different walks of life however they all enjoyed the arts in some way. They waved her over. 

"So what do you do? I make music and am trying to make a new instrument." One said.

"I'd like to teach others and have a bunch of kids all hungry for more knowledge!" The red head said. 

"Did jou see the garden? Stars are lovely jes?" Asked the former slave. 

“Oh. Hm there are a few guest rooms on the second floor that are hardly ever used and are near the one your sister uses when she’s here too late to head home,” Gertrude said in reply to everything Avery said as well as her question. “The one your sister uses has purple walls and those other guest rooms I mentioned only have white walls.”

»»~««

Alivia went over to the small group of girls when they waved her over and listened to everything that they said they were interested in as well as the questions that were asked towards her.

“I’m being privately tutored at home for being a lady and in my spare time I draw and write stories. I also ride my horse to a hill close to my house to stargaze,” she said to the first question and then heard the last two afterward. “I did. It’s very lovely. The stars are very pretty as well,” she said with a small nod.

"Wonderful! I'll take a look at them tomorrow afternoon with you and pick out the one most suitable for the transfer and you can have it cleared out and blocked off. Cody would be assisting me. I tend to forget to eat or drink something when I get so focused and he knows a few things about magic by me blabbering on about it. " He blushed. 

------

"Oh how lovely! We are learning to be ladies too!" Said the cousins flipping their blond curles from their faces. "I was surprised to see my cousin here. I didn't think I'd run into her with so many people here." The other said.

"Good, good. Ah there the Prince, he comes! I am in shock that he also chosen me, a former slave and lowly worker. I am Jamin ." The woman said holding out her hand to Alivia. 

(It's yamin but she has trubble with y's)

Edward walked up and bowed. "Evening ladies, now here's the part where I speak to each of you more in depth, I do hope that we all depart here good friends. Yamin, I'll speak to you first. I know you have a very early day tomorrow, I'm sorry you won't be able to see the finale. Why don't we speak outside? I'd love to hear more stories about your cultures veiw on the stars. Perhaps you can show me a few shapes?" He asked holding his arm out for her to take. The girl blushed and took it walking off. "Jou so very kind. I would love to tell jou more about juriia and averose in their eternal dance in the sky." She said as they walked out to the garden. 

Zane startled a lady he walked up behind. "Oh, I'm sorry sinorita, I was told to keep you all entertained while his highness speaks to you all in privet. I am sir Zane Ramirez, pleasure to meet you ladies." He said introducing himself. "Now before you ask, no I am not looking for a relationship, I have a lovely fiance but I don't mind chatting with you ladies about your interests. I'm a very good listener. " 

“No problem and I’ll be happy to show them to you tomorrow. I bet that can come in very handy. Having someone be available with food when you’re in need of it I mean,” Gertrude said in reply while Cody nodded.

“I’ll be there,” he said in reply before going back to eating his food until it was all gone.

»»~««

“Maybe we can write letters to each other to see how each of us is fairing after the ball’s over if you’d like,” she said in reply to what one of the cousins said before hearing what the second one said. “I bet that was a happy surprise,” she said before turning her attention to be on Yamin afterward when she heard what else she said including her introduction. “It’s nice to meet you Yamin. I’m Alivia,” she said before taking the offered hand and shaking it before dropping it after.

She then turned when she heard Zane’s voice, jumping slightly since she hadn’t noticed him approaching them. “It’s okay, and it’s nice to meet you. I wasn’t going to ask, but good to know all the same. I like riding, reading and writing as well as stargazing,” she said in reply to everything he said with a smile. “I also have a white kitten with blue eyes named Snowball.”

Edited by SkySong278

Avery finished his plate and set it aside.  "Yes it is helpful indeed. Thank you your majesty, I'll make sure your plants are well tended to!"

-----

Zane grinned. "I got a kitten too named bunny. He's still very little, but according to my fiance he calls me mama. His eyes opened this morning finally. Ones bright blue and the other is green. He likes hiding in my armor and sleeping on my shoulder at night. " He chuckled. 

"Only mages speak to animals, your fiance is the one in the silver dress by the queen?" Asked the red head. 

"No! Nonononono, no that's her twin sister. I'm with the knight by the queen. Apparently because twins are close that if one learns magic the other can somehow be able to speak to animals....? I'm not quite sure how exactly it goes but it's helpful at times. " 

“Okay and you’re welcome. Thank you very much and I trust you to take care of them. I know they’ll be well taken care of,” Gertrude said in reply with a smile.

“May I be excused for a minute Your Majesty to get some more food?” Alex asked when the conversation between the queen and Avery was done for the moment.

“Sure I don’t see why not,” Gertrude said in reply to Alex’s request before Alex nodded and went over to the horderves table to get some food on a plate.

»»~««

“He sounds very cute. I’d like to meet him some time if possible,” Alivia said to what Zane said about his own kitten before hearing the rest of what was said between the redheaded girl and Zane. She thought that was all interesting and had no idea about any of that regarding if one sibling used magic, specifically a twin using magic, then the other could also get an ability with magic as well afterward. “Oh that’s very interesting and I’m sure it can be very useful,” she said before seeing movement out of the corner of her eye. “Is that your fiancé?” she asked as she turned her attention to the woman in purple getting some food.

Edited by SkySong278

Zane nodded. "Yes that's why she's in purple. Purple is engaged.  Silver is in courting. Her sister is being courted by my brother. And your dresses are blue because you are eligible. Speaking of, you three Noble ladies and you," he said pointing to the two blonds a few other lesser nobles and Duke daughters, and Alivia then the red head. "Had your dresses made by señora Rayna yes? " He studied the other girls. "You five had yours done by Amber's boutique, you have an old look to it.... Mother's maybe grandmother's?"

"Oh? You know fashion? Not very many men would study the subject." One girl giggled. 

"My mother is Rayna. I also know flowers. I know I'm a little odd loving gardening and sewing. I was a bit of a momas boy."

"I bet your father was jealous!" Another girl said. 

Zane's face fell and looked a little haunted."He.. didn't like it one bit. He's dead now and I'm glad of that. My adoptive father is far far kinder then my real one. Please, I rather not speak about it-" he said as one girl opened her mouth. "and no need to apologise for bringing it up. You didn't know. I'm no longer under his overbearing shadow, yet his memory still haunts me. Let's move to lighter subjects. " He said.

---

While Zane chatted and danced with a few girls Edward came back and left with four more ladies before he tapped Alivia on the shoulder and lead her away through the corridors to a smaller ball room on the second floor that had a balcony overlooking the garden. He gave her some slices of cold cuts to give to Isabo who perched on the railing beside them.  They can see the garden and part of the festival in the castle courtyard from where they where at. "Since you already seen the garden I thought you'd like a better veiw of it."

Alex looked over at Zane and the ladies that were there for the ball and smiled kindly towards them before going back over to where the queen, king, Cody, and Avery were with the plate she had put food on so she could get back to her guard duties.

»»~««

Alivia nodded when told that it was indeed her and then listened to everything else Zane said in regards to what the colors meant, his fiancé’s sister courting his brother, and who had made their dresses. She was a bit surprised to hear that he knew fashion as well as flowers but then it faded to understanding when she heard his explanation after a girl brought up that not every man knew about fashion. She felt sorry for him about his dad but didn’t say anything since the subject seemed to upset him.

After they had talked about some nicer things, she watched as he danced with a few of the girls and did that briefly with him as well before she was led away by the prince to talk with him more. She walked with him in silence to the second floor and to a balcony that overlooked the garden and the courtyard where the festival was taking place. “It’s beautiful from up here with the moon shining down on it,” she said before taking the slices of the cold cuts that he offered to her and then started to feed the falcon them when she came to perch on the railing beside them.

Edited by SkySong278

" It is indeed. O thought you might like it. Tell me about yourself. I already know you like writing and horseback riding, stars and flowers, what else? Any pets, favorite colors, favorite musical instrument, favorite food?" He asked showing her a seat and sitting down with her. 

“I do. Very much. Okay and I do have a pet. A white kitten with blue eyes named Snowball. My favorite colors are blue, purple, green, and silver; my favorite instrument would be the flute and my favorite food is pasta. I also like meat as well but mainly pasta,” she said in reply to his statements and questions while sitting down in the seat that he showed her.

"let's see... Mine is yellow and light blue, I love the sound of the Cello and I prefer a good salad over meat. Not that I don't enjoy the occasional stake or ham I just like the cool crunch of veggies in the summer, then some soup or stews in the winter.  So favorite things, hobbies... What are your thoughts on having a family and how big is your family at home?" He asked

She listened intently to what he said regarding his favorite colors, instrument, and food before hearing his question about having a family and her current family’s size. “That’s all very good to know. I also do eat fruits and veggies as well. I just forgot to mention that. Sorry. As to your question about having a family and how big my family at home is, I’d love to have one and very small. It’s just me and parents. I’m an only child. I do have an aunt and uncle but they live far away,” she said in reply to the question that was two but was asked as one.

"I am an only child too. My father and mother where both only kids so I don't have any aunts or uncles. I'd like to have a decent sized family one day. Four kids max so they don't feel alone and always have someone who they can play with without getting in trouble for doing so by their governesses." He said sourly like that's how he was told when he was young. "Zane would've been my brother however his friend's dad adopted him. Not that he's an orphan, just because his father married a foreigner and she gave birth in a foreign country then brought him here although he was very very young he isn't of an official member of our kingdom and thus when his Father disowned him, he would have been deported back to a country he barely knew. Father wanted to keep him here but his lifelong best friend's dad took him in as his own so he's stays here now. "

“Guess we have something else in common. That’s a good amount of kids. I was thinking that myself. My parents would like me to have a lot of kids but I’d like only four to keep it a good size,” she said before noticing the sour note in his voice. She wondered if that was what he was taught/told growing up and thought it interesting that they were told different things. “Oh that’s very interesting. The father that disowned him was the one that died recently, right? I heard about that. It’s good that he can stay here in the kingdom now that his friend’s dad adopted him and I bet if he was deported his fiancé would be heartbroken. I bet he would’ve also made a good addition to your family if his friend’s dad hadn’t done it first.”

"Yeah and there was a huge trial and everything. His dad deserved it. I only read the records of both trials but.... Three hundred and fifty six scars on his body, partial lost of taste, severe nose bleeds at high altitudes and the fact he freezes at the sound of a whip just infuriates me. I couldn't imagine how hard his childhood was. I was sheltered although isolated, but never struck or scolded by anyone, only my father and mother gave me stern talking tos when I got out of hand but..... " He sighed. "His fiance would've been furious and drag him back to be married to him far sooner than they planned. They weren't even engaged at the time. Apparently him and Cody where childhood friends and where basicaly brothers before it was official. He's a big goofball now but if you ever see him without his girl or his mom..... " He shivers. "They call him the devil, knights and servents alike. He's more terrifying then his father at times. I wouldn't want him as my enemy." He said looking at her. "I think I talk more about him then I do myself. Compared to me his life has been..... Interesting. I just have a boring childhood, boring interests, a standard horse unlike his hellish white beast who hurts anyone not wearing red around it, and had found the love of his life a nearly two years ago. Then the one I was supposed to marry used a love position on him and nearly lost two of the kingdoms best fighters..." He squeeked at the end turning away as he started to tear up. "All because she thought he was more interesting then me and I don't blame her!"

“Okay. I’ve only heard about it but didn’t attend. Had to do some lady lessons I think while it was going on and wasn’t able to leave to do my own thing until after dinner. Hearing all that kind of makes me angry, too. I can’t believe a father would do that to his son. I think she would’ve been more depressed or heartbroken than furious. Oh okay and I’m glad he had a friend that he could count on and hang out with while everything with his birth father was going on. If all that was happening to me, I’d want a friend I trust to tell what was going on so that they could help. I’ve heard that but I think maybe it was how his father was around him that he acts like that at times,” she said while also looking back at him. “That’s okay and I think you’re very interesting. I don’t think your childhood was boring at all. Mine was just about the same as yours as well as all the other ladies here. I have a normal horse as well which I wished I rode here to this ball instead of in a stuffy carriage but my parents insisted that I ride in the carriage. Maybe his horse just likes red for some reason. For some people it’s easy to find love but others, not so much. Like me but when you’re sheltered and don’t get to get out that much, it’s not your fault. I heard a bit about that but not much. That was very wrong of her to do and I find you very interesting. You have the same stuff in common than I do and it’s not often that I find that in people,” she said these last few statements in reply to what he said last and before noticing that he was starting to tear up a bit. She put a gentle hand on his shoulder in order to try to give him some comfort. “I find Zane a bit interesting but I find you even more so.”

Edited by SkySong278

"You... You think so?" He looked at her and took her hand from his shoulder holding it in his. "You're the first person to say that and mean it. I've met many people and learned to tell whether or not they are being genuine with their words twords me. If..... you don't mind.... I would like to get to know you better. You're just as fascinating. Um..." He pulled out the peacock feathers hair pin from his pocket. "Can I put this in your hair?"

“Yes I really do,” she said in reply to his question with a small smile on her face before blushing slightly when she felt him holding the hand she had put on his shoulder. “Oh I’m glad I could help you feel better then. I’m sorry those other people you met didn’t mean their words when talking with you. No I don’t mind and I’d like that as well Your Highness. Oh um thank you,” she said in reply a bit shyly before noticing him pull out the peacock feather hairpin and hearing his question about him putting it in her hair afterward. “Yes.”

Edited by SkySong278