SkySong278

A Knight's Story

He hummed breaking the kiss long enough to say "I love the sound of that future Mrs. Rodriguez." before continuing to kiss her. After a while of snogging he broke the kiss once again, reluctantly to yawn and pull a blanket over them, adjusting so they wouldn't squish Bunny who Zane tucked under his neck so he can hear him if he gets hungry later and his eyes were droopy. "Night night my love..."

---

Avery nodded looking relived, reaching out to him as if he (Ave) couldn't believe he was really there. "I was sent off to get potion ingredients for my Master and was gone a long time. I got a bad feeling and came back to find everything destroyed and all the people and animals turned to stone, frozen in place with faces twisted in fear. The whole kingdom was like that not just the main city! I grew more and more panicked and ran around looking for you, knowing I can reverse the spell on everyone and I found you here, turned to stone but... " He choked. "Broken into pieces! Not in big chunks but tiny bits, some crushed into powder, you where dead and I the charms I gave you where torn around the room... " He shivers. "Can you please snuggle with me tonight?  I want to be able to know you're okay if I get another nightmare tonight. They usually come in pairs for me ..." He looked at him pleading. "Please, I need my teddy bear."

“Mm good and I do too,” she said in reply before he kissed her again and she continued to kiss him back until he pulled back once again to yawn but also to pull a blanket over the both of them. “Buenos noches mi amor,” she said in reply with a yawn of her own and closed her eyes. Before she completely fell asleep she said, “Maybe we can go visit your mom tomorrow.”

-•-•-

Cody laid down beside him when he saw him reach towards him. He then wrapped his arms around him gently as he heard everything that he said about what had occurred in his dream. He rubbed his back comfortingly when he heard Ave choke in his sob before hearing what he asked and said last. “Of course and you really think of me as a teddy bear? I’m glad you think of me that way,” he asked and said in reply before laying down with him on the bed.

Edited by SkySong278

Zayn gave a small hum in affirmation before drifting off to sleep himself.

---

"Yeah. You're adorable and cuddly as a teddy bear." He sniffled head on his chest. "Thanks for staying here with me..." He said with a yawn, only having been asleep for an hour or so before the nightmare woke him up. He settled down in Cody's arms and slowly drifted back off to sleep.

The next morning found Alex still sleeping against Zane but she had shifted in her sleep to having her head laying on his lap instead of being on his shoulder. She woke up about an hour or so later, showered quickly, and then tried her hand at making scrambled eggs and toast for their breakfast. She had found a recipe book and was following the instructions for the eggs while the bread was on a skillet toasting. She had put a bit of butter on both pieces of bread before putting them on the skillet and was keeping an eye on them as the eggs were scrambling. She flipped them over after a minute and then after the eggs were done, put those on plates, and then took the skillet off of the heat before turning the stove off afterward but took the pieces of toast off of it and onto another plate she had gotten out.

“Breakfast’s ready mi amor,” she said softly when she went back over to the couch and kissed Zane softly on the lips to wake him up. “I’ll feed and burp Bunny if you want to get in the shower before we eat.” She said this last statement after she had pulled away from the kiss she had given him.

-•-•-

Cody was still sleeping the next morning with Avery in his arms. He opened his eyes a few minutes or so later and kissed him softly on the forehead not to wake him up but to let him know that he was still there.

Edited by SkySong278

Zane woke up and saw the nearly burnt toast and the eggs. "Aww, thank you sweetie. " He said and  traded her the cat for the plate. "Could you please get him something to eat? I'll give him a bath after both he and I have our meal." He said and took a bite of the eggs. "A little bit too much pepper, everyone has a different way to make scrambled eggs, I add a bit of water to fluff them a little more. " He said with a small smile. "Scrambled eggs are easy and unique to each person. "

----

Avery did have another nightmare that night but when he woke up in Cody's arms he calmed down right away and fell back asleep. 

When Cody kissed him, he sighed in his sleep and smiled a little bit. 

“You’re welcome and sorry that it’s slightly burnt. I’ll do the toast first before the eggs next time. I also didn’t mean to add too much pepper. I thought that I had put about the same amount of both salt and pepper in them. I’ll keep that bit about the water in mind for next time as well. Of course and okay. I bet he’d enjoy a bath,” she said in reply to everything he said before taking Bunny from him and starting to feed him afterward.

-•-•-

He smiled when he watched as Avery continued to sleep before going back to sleep himself. His eyes weren’t quite ready to open anyway and were starting to droop closed again.

Edited by SkySong278

"It's okay love, mistakes happen, it's still good and I thank you for making it for me. How have you been feeling lately? You don't look as thin as you where. Oh yeah he loves his baths." He added the last bit sarcastically finishing his meal. 

----

Avery stirred a little, and turned over so his back was against Cody's chest and they where spooning.  He continued to sleep.

“Okay and I’m glad. It was my first time making scrambled eggs and toast so your critique on it helps so I know what I can do better next time. You’re welcome. I’m feeling much stronger than before and that must be from your help and delicious food. I still have a bit of trouble getting up the stairs but I’ll just have to get better with that. I’m sure there’s a bit of a struggle getting him clean. I can help you with his bath if you’d like,” she said in reply before starting to clean up the dishes from his breakfast.

-•-•-

Cody smiled when he saw Avery smile before he went back to sleep himself a few minutes later.

"Nah I have it. " He said and took the kitten from her to clean him up after he had his own milk meal and came out with him wrapped up in a hand towel. "You want to try holding your sword again? Build up that arm strength?"

--

Avery woke up a while later and started making breakfast hearing up cinnamon rolls he got the other day. 

“Okay,” she said in reply before getting the dishes from breakfast washed, dried and put away where they belong. She just put the last dish away when he came back with Bunny wrapped up in a hand towel. She heard his questions and said in reply, “Sure I can try. I’ll also do some exercises as well.”

-•-•-

Cody awoke to the smell of breakfast being made. He sat up, rubbed his eyes, stretched, and then got up from the bed and headed into the kitchen. “Morning,” he said in greeting before placing a small peck on Avery’s forehead.

"I thought so too. So we can both get some training in and Bunny could sit outside with us. Look, another day and his eyes would open up he's stronger in the legs too.  He just walked around the sink earlier to get away from the water. " He said proudly then rubbed his cheek on the kitten's wet head. 

----

"Good morning. Thank you for sleeping with me tonight, I did have another nightmare bit woke up to you and calmed down right away. How did you sleep last night? After I startled you that is..." He said setting two buns with frosting on the table and sat down to eat the gooy pastry with a fork. 

“I’d like that a lot. We’ll have to keep an eye on our baby but I think that’ll be possible. I can’t wait for him to open his eyes and that’s great that his legs are getting stronger and that he’s walking a bit more,” she said with a smile when she saw him rub his head against Bunny’s head. “I love you so much mi amado y rey.”

-•-•-

“You’re welcome and I didn’t mind being woken up especially since I got to comfort you,” he said in reply to everything Avery said as he set the cinnamon rolls on the table. “Those look and smell very delicious.”

Edited by SkySong278

"Me too. It's like watching our own baby's first steps and he'd get to see us soon. A couple weeks after he'd move to solid foods my little baby growing up so fast!" He said and kissed her. "I love you too mi reyna."

---

He blushed at the first statement about comforting him. "Thank you, I bought them at the at the bakery."

“I’m so excited to see that and can’t wait to see what color his eyes are. That’s good and I wonder what we’d feed him at that time. Our baby you mean. He calls me papa which is cute,” she said with a small pout after kissing him back when he kissed her as a response to what she had said before that. She smiled when he heard what he said after he pulled away from it and then asked, “When should we visit your mom?”

-•-•-

“Ah and they have really good sweets,” Cody said in reply before getting out plates and forks for them and putting them on the table at their spots.

Edited by SkySong278

"You said when you're feeling stronger and she probably won't want me around so you'd have to go alone. Let's go outside and exercise a bit for now okay?" He said getting their swords and set Bunny on a short stool he sat on when weeding, (only a foot from the ground) and drew his weapon swinging it around to warm up. 

----

"What are you doing? You must not be fully awake yet because the table is already set and your food is on your plate already. They do make wonderful treats. " He said and finished his messy roll then washed up amd cleaned his plate going to shave his mustache. 

“I asked you last night before I drifted off to sleep if we could visit her today and I felt you nod in confirmation. I meant when we could visit her today so I can see the dress but I guess I was still tired and forgot to add that. We could visit her after I get stronger but I’m interested to see it. Why won’t she want you around?” she said and asked in reply before nodding about his suggestion about going outside and exercising a bit for now. She petted Bunny on the head a bit when they got outside and after Zane had settled the little kitten on a stool and after he had gotten their swords. She took up hers and started to move it around a bit in order to get used to the weight again.

-•-•-

“Oh yeah sorry. I’m still a bit exhausted and I didn’t notice that you had already set the table,” he said in reply before sitting down and eating his roll while Avery went to get ready for the day.

"We can visit her , just can't talk about the dress. She doesn't want me to overhear any details about it, not a peep about stitching or color or fabric.  She would like to know that you are okay now. " He said softly. "We can visit for tea later." He said as he took his training stances practicing forms. 

-----

"It's ok, it happens to all of us." He said washing his face, got powdered up and slipped into a simple dress for the day. 

“Oh and okay. Do you think it would be okay if I asked her to show it to me while it’s in that other room?” she said and asked in reply before trying to do the exercises she grew up doing to see if her arms were strong enough to do them again.

-•-•-

“Okay,” he said in reply before finishing with eating his roll. He wiped away the frosting that had gotten around his mouth as he had eaten the roll. He then went into the bathroom with clean clothes to change into after getting out of the shower.

Edited by SkySong278

"You can try. She'd probably send me outside just in case. But I don't see why not. It is your wedding dress. " He said going through the movement of the move he came up with before the princess had came. 

-----

Avery sat down and started to write out reports to her master in the progress of his magic skills to update her on his progress. He drew a transport rune on it and it disappeared as soon as he sealed it. 

“Okay and I can’t wait to see it if she’d let me take a quick look at it,” she said in reply before getting used to the movements of the exercises she had done growing up as well as with the training class she was doing at the castle now for the recruits. She even started doing what looked to be dance moves of sorts as she noticed Zane work on the movement for that new move he had taught her before the princess arrived. When she finished up her exercises, she started doing that exercise as well.

-•-•-

After Cody got out, dried off, and dressed he emerged from the bathroom with the towel over his shoulders as he tried to finish drying a stubborn part of his hair on the back. He saw Avery writing something before it disappeared as he went back towards the kitchen table and asked as he sat back down, “What should we do today? We can go check on Alex and see how she’s doing as well as maybe check on Toro and Spot. I’m sure they haven’t been getting any attention since Zane’s helping Alex recover and she’s still recovering.”

Edited by SkySong278

Zane practiced his childhood moves and then stopped. "I..... I can't believe he's dead...." He said softly to himself. Despite everything, he was still his father and there were times when he was little that his dad was just a little nicer. Like helping him make his first bow, or giving him a proper whittling dagger. His sword dropped as the final piece of his memory came back. When he spred his father's ashes he went inside his house to see if the servents where okay. He remembered a little carved knight he made when he was seven for his dad's birthday still sitting on his dad's desk where he put it. He didn't remember polishing it when he made it, but there it was, stained, devoid of dust and looking a little warn around the waist like it was held often.  He leaned on his sword turned away from Alex and started to cry for the small bit of kindness his father showed him now all coming together, his father's words although harsh made sense now. Sure, he showed... Affection was a strong word but what ever little bit of kindness he had with loud voices twords his only son and heir in the only way a battle hardened ruthless man knew how. 

It was after the coal incident Zane became defiant and rebellious and this depleted what little of the fatherly love he had for his son and the ruthless beatings started. He didn't want to be seen crying over what the man was long ago, but had become a monster once his authority was challenged. 

------

"That sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe you could give a ride to spot and I can ride Toro. Seeing I can talk to animals I can make sure he behaves." Avery suggested. 

Mi amor estas bien?” Alex asked concerned when she noticed Zane over his sword with his back turned towards her. She had stopped her own exercises when she had heard him say something softly to himself but couldn’t make it out. She had grown concerned at that moment but didn’t ask what she did just now earlier until she noticed him in the position he was in now. She went up behind him slightly and put a gentle hand on his shoulder.

-•-•-

“Okay sounds like a plan then. Should we go to the barn near the house first to give the horses attention in case Zane and Alex are busy or aren’t at their house when we get there?” Cody said and asked in reply.

"Your Spanish is almost fluent my dear. " He sniffled. "Me dije a mi misma que no lloraría por mi padre. But here I am... llorando por mi papá. " He leaned against her head on her shoulder hiding his face. He sobbed quietly for a few minutes until a nock sounded on the front door.

"You go get that I need to pull myself together." He said rubbing his face with his sleeve.

--

"No let's ask for permission from them first. Toro would need to see Zane giving the things up before he let's me ride him anyway and they haven't left the house for a while. It's still morning so knowing my sister she's probably either still sleeping or try to build up her strength so she doesn't feel like a burden to Zane. It's about a ten minute walk over there. " 

He said getting a red bandana and took Cody's hand pulling him out amd down the road. 

Then minutes later he knocked on the door. 

((Yes Zane cried for ten minutes and that was Avery knock on the door. Trans: I told myself I would not cry over my father. But here I am crying over my dad. ))

“I’ve been practicing a bit,” she said in reply to his first statement before hearing his response to her question. When he leaned against her with his head on her shoulder, she hugged him in what she thought was a comforting way and let him cry. Then she heard a knocking sound come from the front door before hearing what he said last about that.

“Okay. Let me know if I can do anything further to help you feel better,” she said before going to the front door and opening it to find Avery and Cody there. “Hey guys. Come on in,” she told them with a smile before opening the door a bit wider so that they could come in a bit more.

-•-•-

Cody nodded after listening to everything he said he said regarding what they should do before walking with him out the door after the former got a red bandana. About ten minutes or so later, they arrived at their door and his love knocked before Alex answered it.

“Hey and don’t mind if we do,” he said while walking with Ave into the house afterward.

Edited by SkySong278

Zane collected himself, then Bunny and went into the kitchen from the back door to wash his face before any guests see his puffy eyes before going out to greet them. 

" Hey brother. I don't think you met Bunny, isn't he adorable he's going to open his eyes this week." He said holding up the kitten to Cody who mewed at his name. 

--

Avery stepped inside and placed his hands on Alex's cheeks. "Thank goodness you are eating properly! I can see you gained some weight Al and you look better too. Zane sure keeps his word when he says he will take care of you. How's your recovery going?" He asked hugging Alex tightly.