Confused Cat

Influencing discussion and poll

What is the most likely reason when you don't influence an egg?  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

(The question is about eggs for which you have a gender preference, for example eggs bred for checker or stair lineages, and which have time to influence.)

----

I was wondering why there are often postings in the congrats / bad luck and other threads about uninfluenced hatchlings gendering correctly / incorrectly.

Confused Cat is confused: "Why doesn't everybody influence everything? Is it simply for a lack of Pinks? Forgetfulness? Or completely different reasons?"

... So here's a poll. smile.gif

(The question is about eggs for which you have a gender preference, for example eggs bred for checker or stair lineages, and which have time to influence.)

Oh, and I hope this doesn't look like I'm criticizing people for not influencing everything. I'm just curious (and hoping curiosity won't kill the cat biggrin.gif ).

[update:

Added green note at the top. I should have included "... in situations in which there actually is a desired gender" in the poll question, but I think I can't edit the poll to fix it.]

Edited by Confused Cat

I voted "others". I don't influence an egg when i don't mind what gender it will become, that's usually when i already own a male and female of that species.

Since i don't check lineages and stuff, i own some broken ones (specially price dragons). It's not on purpose though.

I just usually forget to influence and by the time I remember it is too late xd.png

When I was a newbie I thought it was more 'fair' to leave the eggs uninfluenced. Then I learned about lineages, started my own projects and changed my mind. smile.gif After all, it's a legitimate game option. In real life, the gender of reptile hatchlings also depends on the eggs' temperature, so it's actually quite natural.

I influence anything I care about gendering one way or another--new eggs, when I want a balance and they have different sprites, breeding projects--I just don't have many of those. most of the time, I just don't care.

I think one of the reasons that hatchlings often misgender especially after being influenced is because some do not realise that influencing an egg, and then trading it to someone else means they lose their influence. So, someone may receive an egg from another user saying it's already been influenced, but when they end up on their scroll, the influence is gone. The gender of a hatchling is determined as soon as the egg hatches, although the gender does not show visibly until the hatchling is a little older ^.^

I always influence eggs when I want to continue the lineage, or keep it to be 'perfect'. I have a fair amount of Pinks now so I influence as soon as possible to hopefully prevent forgetting laugh.gif It's a good feature to have, and the high success rating with them makes it worth while in my opinion. It's a shame it's not 100%, but it's all part of the fun!

As for gender specific dragons, I'm more interested in the lineage rather than hoarding a specific gender for each species. Although, if the eggs are CB, I do have some preferences, such as CB Male Pillows and CB Male Summers. I also have a soft spot for Female Pinks over Male Pinks, but again, it does depend on the lineage happy.gif

For others, it's possible that they got the egg or hatchling too late to influence it, so they are naturally disappointed when the little one doesn't gender the way they wanted it to. There are also some that influence specifically to have a boy and/or a girl, although sometimes the attempt fails sad.gif It's also possible that they simply don't have enough Pinks to influence all the eggs they want, so they take the risk of a possible misgender ^^

I use Influence when I need a certain gender for lineage breeding or scroll completion (I'm back after a long pause); I currently influence new release eggs to get both genders. Otherwise, I don't care.

I influence some new releases, to make sure I have my first four breeding pairs, and always influence when a lineage needs a specific gender. I do let most CBs beyond my initial breeding pairs select their own gender. I figure I'll have better breeding results if the dragon is happy with its own choice. biggrin.gif

Even when I'm neutral about the gender of the dragon that I'm raising, I tend to influence it something. That way if I end up trading it as an ungendered hatchling, I can say what it was influenced as. Then people have a bit less uncertainty when trading with me.

The only time I don't influence an egg is if I'm 100%ly sure I'm going to keep it, and I want to freeze it as an ungendered hatchling. happy.gif

Edit:

I have a small pet peeve, though. xd.png It's when people post up a 2G dragon hatchling and say "influenced correctly" (with no further qualifier as to what they mean with 'correctly'). As someone who prefers to collect spirals: No. No, you really didn't. xd.png I bet you influenced it for a checker or a stair. I wish people would say that. But it's easy enough to guess that's what they mean, so it's a minor gripe. smile.gif

Edited by pinkgothic

I have a small pet peeve, though. xd.png It's when people post up a 2G dragon hatchling and say "influenced correctly" (with no further qualifier as to what they mean with 'correctly'). As someone who prefers to collect spirals: No. No, you really didn't. xd.png I bet you influenced it for a checker or a stair. I wish people would say that. But it's easy enough to guess that's what they mean, so it's a minor gripe. smile.gif

I'm very guilty of doing that, especially with gifted hatchies unsure.gif I suppose that's a really good point though, there are some that like to make spiral lineages. I will keep that in mind next time I post a gift or trade that I've influenced tongue.gif

I usually influence all eggs as soon as I know which gender I want, because I don't trust my memory to remember later. (Although now that I've made this poll, I'll probably start forgetting it completely. tongue.gif )

Even if I catch an egg of a breed of which I need both a male and a female, I still influence it, because what if I catch a 3d 1h egg of that breed on the AP right after the first one hatched, and I don't know how to influence the second one? That would be a disaster! ohmy.gifwink.gif

When I have an egg for which it really doesn't matter lineage-wise, and I don't have a preference for one of the sprites, I either don't influence it, or I influence it female. Female because there are more males on my scroll, and I worry that my male influences might become more likely to fail if the ratio becomes too uneven. (I don't know if that's actually something that happens in the game.)

In short - I'm very happy we have the influence option, and my Pinks are very busy all the time. ^^

I don't influence new releases because there's always other people who need the "wrong gender" I got and I need the gender they got ;p

I influence to continue lineages, but most of the time, I only use influence when I have to.

Sometimes I'm lazy, especially if they're CBs or PBs. The only time I influence is if they're 2Gs I like lol.

I don't influence:

-when I get busy and the time on the dragon ticks down too low and I just miss my chance

-some second gens that, even though it might be neat to try a checker with them, I'm too lazy to go influence right now

-some even gen pbs because I'm too lazy to go find where my pb of that dragon left off and what gender I need

So boils down to busy or lazy. xP

I prefer to influence all my eggs, though if it's something I'm considering trading I often wait so I don't waste an influence that'll get erased. (Sub-qualification - the rare times I'm going to post a lineaged thing up for trade I influence beforehand, because I've had someone drop them in hatcheries before without my consent.)

When I have DC open I always have the word document with all my dragons on it, so I have a quick reference of how many of each gender I already own (also, their lineage, accepted mates, biome of origin, etc.), and sometimes notes of future projects I intend to use that breed for so I can tell if I still need more males or females for it.

The only time I don't influence is when I don't particularly care, like having a sufficient pile of identical new releases that plenty of players will be genderswapping, or when I've picked up a lineage in the AP that I can't continue exactly and am having trouble deciding what I will pair it with. Then I leave it up to chance.

(This thread is reminding me that my stable of pinks didn't expand in time with my eggslot capacity. It's very obvious when I've been grabbing a bunch of low-times off the AP. I really need to raise more before the holidays!)

I rarely care about the gender of my dragons, except for New Releases. I usually try to influence those evenly because we don't know what the adult sprites will look like and I don't want 4 males if the females are prettier. But I forget. A lot. Or I remember directly after they hatch.

I do not influence anything unless it is a low-gen Prize or, in general, a stair or spiral. Too lazy. The rationale is that I do not breed for lineages so I could not care less about the gender.

I also have an inbred EG Stripe lineage going on right now. Its up to gen 4.

I don't influence the first new generation because what's the poont? You are just wasting an influence. Let it gender however it wants to and then just influence its mate tongue.gif

The only time I'll leave gender up to chance is if the dragon is CB common and I'm running low on pinks. Sure, a male Canopy will be more useful to me than a female one, but it's not vitally important that it gender a certain way. Anything with a lineage gets influenced; no exceptions.

I only influence when I specifically need a given gender, which most of the time I don't. Also as StellaLuna said, if you need a F/M pair, and aren't growing them at the same time, you only need to influence one half of the pair. I use that strategy a lot, which decreases a lot of my influencing needs.

I also can't be bothered half the time so again, unless that dragon NEEDS to be female, it's gonna just have to sort it out on it's own.

The only times I didn't influence (and subsequently got a wrong gender) what when the trade partner took TOO MUCH TIME to decide!

I got this guy at exactly 3 days: http://dragcave.net/lineage/Inixi which is just NOT enough time anymore for influence.

I usually influence EVERYTHING.

Notable exceptions:

- CB or EGPB of which I have an equal amount genderwise

- Freezing Fodder for s1 hatchies

- If I grab several secon gen metalfails of the same breed from the AP. I will influence the first according to checker, but will let the DCgods decide if the second one genders "correctly" (meaning I will have to find two 2nd gen metals as mates) or "fail" meaning I can breed the two with each other for a nice EG metalkin lineage.