FiveSix

Collective term for Drakes, Pygmies etc.

Shall we see if we can achieve the impossible and find an abbreviation no one hates? tongue.gif We can talk this out here without taking over Marri's topic.

Two versions of this I guess, either things which can be bred, but not with (for example) Magi dragons, or things which can't be bitten by vampires.

Personally, I like NSEG--non-standard egg group. I think its initials are fairly straightforward.

Alternatively, maybe DSS (dragon subspecies) could work?

The EG doesn't work for me... EG = Even Gen

How about NSDT = non-standard dragon type for 2-heads, drakes and pygmies

Then UB for unbreedables or UR for unbreedable rares like chickens, dinos and papers

Vampires are already Vamps, but they could be included in the UB or UR category

Personally, I like NSEG--non-standard egg group. I think its initials are fairly straightforward.

Alternatively, maybe DSS (dragon subspecies) could work?

OMG, you're DiSSing them! xd.png

I would really like to stay away from the N-E-G combinations, since that just seems to trigger some real negative stuff for me. The abbreviation for non-standard also raised some sensitivity issues.

We have EGs and NDs in the Cave already, as well as CBs and PBs. Maybe UBs for unbreedables, HB for Hybrids and DDBs for the Divergent Dragon Breeds?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergent_evolution

ETA: NSD is a division of the DOJ - The United States Department of Justice National Security Division (NSD) rolleyes.gif

Edited by dragongrrl

I actually like DDB (divergent dragon breeds) - or we could simply call them O for other. xd.png

Or let's call them UB for unbiteables. It would render the abbreviation useless for other purposes like unbreedables, but it sums up the group quite nicely IMHO. Plus, we don't have to come up with a term that everyone can agree on.

No disrespect, no fishy acronyms or whatnot, just plain simple game mechanics. Yeah, I like unbiteables or UB for short.

Edited by olympe

DOs, Different Ones. smile.gif

SOs. Special Ones.

But UBs works for me.

Non-standard makes sense. I'd call them Nessies, then, but probably, people would confuse that with "Messies" rolleyes.gif .

Dracoids or dracomorphs?

...I don't actually have an opinion. xd.png I think for the sake of clarity I'll never use an abbreviation or grouping term for these anyway - but that depends entirely on how the terms end up spreading.

I did stumble across NDEG, though, because like others have mentioned, 'EG' is hardcoded as 'evengen', so I guess that parses as 'Neglected Dragon Evengen' to me, which sounds awesome but is of course not what people mean...

Edit:

On mulling about it, I think I'm partial to Diverging Dragon Breeds. That has a nice ring to it.

Edited by pinkgothic

UB for Unbiteables sounds good to me. Yes then there are technically also Dinos, Papers, Neglecteds and Cheese Dragons UBs. Er, can Vampires bite Neglecteds?

Eveyrthing with non in the name is somthing that i don't like to call them.

DP2 = Drakes, Pygmies, 2-headeds biggrin.gif
Great idea! Edited by Tigerkralle

UB for Unbiteables sounds good to me. Yes then there are technically also Dinos, Papers, Neglecteds and Cheese Dragons UBs. Er, can Vampires bite Neglecteds?

Eveyrthing with non in the name is somthing that i don't like to call them.

Great idea!

I think I read somewhere that they can - even if the neglected egg used to be something unbiteable before turning. But I might get things mixed up.

(On the funny side - vampires are totally unbiteable, too! Unless lag hits, that is. I once saw a screenshot of just that, the result being a dead vampire egg killed by biting.)

I'm okay with NDEG, but NSEG is gross-feeling on my tongue. No idea why o.o

DSS or D2P (I changed the order of drake, pygmy, 2head because I like the 2 in the middle, lol) or NSD work for me - in that order.

I was going to suggest something like Other Dragon Types (ODT) or maybe Restricted Breeding Dragons (RBD), but they're not half as good as many of the other suggestions I've seen.

Or maybe Draconic Othered Types (DOT). =p

I'm okay with NDEG, but NSEG is gross-feeling on my tongue. No idea why o.o

DSS or D2P (I changed the order of drake, pygmy, 2head because I like the 2 in the middle, lol) or NSD work for me - in that order.

I was going to suggest something like Other Dragon Types (ODT) or maybe Restricted Breeding Dragons (RBD), but they're not half as good as many of the other suggestions I've seen.

Or maybe Draconic Othered Types (DOT). =p

DOT sounds so cute to me.

How about a simple DPTH? Drakes, Pigmies and Two Headed.

Either way, I'll be happy with whichever is chosen. smile.gif

I'd been otherwise calling them Restricted Breeders. I don't like UB (unbiteables) because that includes other things besides the three groups we're discussing. In my opinion chickens and dinos are non-dragons, cheese and papers are dragons but only magically - so enchanted object dragons. So non-dragon as part of the designation confuses me a little because they are dragons, just not standard ones.

So, Restricted Breeders works really well for me but not RB as an acronym because that will always be Royal Blues. RBD would be ok - Restricted Breeding Dragons.

---Something that I think important though is that acronyms should make you think of what it stands for without having to figure it out. NDEG doesn't cut it for that reason. My first thought when I saw it was Neglected dragons. NSDG or NSEG also suffers from non-obviousness.

So... putting my brain to work (ooooo, it hurts! it hurts! make it stop!) I thought of something that maybe describes them fairly well without including initials - particularly initials that someone might associate with something unpleasant. How about referring to them as Dragon Kind - Drakind for short? This distinguishes them from regular breeders somewhat while still acknowledging them as dragons - just not standard dragons.

What do you think?

I'd been otherwise calling them Restricted Breeders. I don't like UB (unbiteables) because that includes other things besides the three groups we're discussing. In my opinion chickens and dinos are non-dragons, cheese and papers are dragons but only magically - so enchanted object dragons. So non-dragon as part of the designation confuses me a little because they are dragons, just not standard ones.

So, Restricted Breeders works really well for me but not RB as an acronym because that will always be Royal Blues. RBD would be ok - Restricted Breeding Dragons.

---Something that I think important though is that acronyms should make you think of what it stands for without having to figure it out. NDEG doesn't cut it for that reason. My first thought when I saw it was Neglected dragons. NSDG or NSEG also suffers from non-obviousness.

So... putting my brain to work (ooooo, it hurts! it hurts! make it stop!) I thought of something that maybe describes them fairly well without including initials - particularly initials that someone might associate with something unpleasant. How about referring to them as Dragon Kind - Drakind for short? This distinguishes them from regular breeders somewhat while still acknowledging them as dragons - just not standard dragons.

What do you think?

I really like your thinking! biggrin.gif (and I hope the pain went away quickly!) Drakind is a nice term for them, although I still like the DDBs - Divergent Dragon Breeds, and DOT is a good one, too. <3

I still prefer UBs for the unbreedable Cheeses, Papers, and Vamps. ND is so set in DC lore that, while they could be lumped in, they still easily stand alone. I would include the Dinos and the Chickens* here - even if they aren't dragons, we still can't breed them - Ubies, anyone? smile.gif

*(unless we get Roosters!) tongue.gif

What do you think?

Lol, what about something like Restricted Atypical Breeders/Atypically Restricted Breeders - RABs or ARBs? Thing that are sorta-word-like are generally easier to remember.

Drakins? Although that kinda looks like a typo xd.png

Pygmies and Drakes can be fused to "Pykes", and with the 2-headed, that could make 2-Pykes laugh.gif

Don't mind me, I haven't had breakfast yet.

Othertypes?

Otherdragons? (Let's just not abbreviate that. blink.gif )

Drakes, Pygmies, etc.

I'm not fond of the trend to abbreviate things unnecessarily. No room for confusion if I just refer to the breeds as they are.

What do you think?

Also a good one, although the D at the end looks and sounds odd to me. How about drakin for dragon kin? (Mind you, my non-native speaker brain might not get all the layers of meaning here...)

NSB? Non-Standard Breedables. This one kinda works for me. They're breedable, but they are not the standard dragon group.

Edited by The_Bucket

NSB? Non-Standard Breedables.

I like it!

Edit: ... It would also allow us to call the other dragons "Standard Breedables". Both terms would be useful in trades.

Edited by Confused Cat