Szayelapporo

Further Restrict Breeding

Don't hate me for this. Maybe we could add a restriction on breeding? Other sites require the dragon(or animal) to be a certain age before they can breed. Most of these are about thirty days. Perhaps we can get this implemented into the game eventually, to cut down the mass breeding and make lineages grow at a slower rate?

1. Why? You've told us how you want it to work, but not why you want it in the first place.

2. Mass breeding is irritating for some, but it's not the end of the world. Sometimes you can find nice things. Even if you don't like mass breeding (raises hand), just go do something else for an hour while it clears out (I get off of DC entirely and do other things).

3. Why would you want lineages to grow at a slower rate? There are a lot of slow downs as is.

4. Referring to your other response on the first page, I don't like inbreeding either, so you could do what I do - either toss them back to the AP if you catch an inbred egg from it in the first place, freeze them in their juvenile stages, or release them to the wild if they accidentally grow up on your scroll (or if you find a bunch on your scroll that you caught as a n00b before realizing exactly what lineages were *coughthat'swhatIdidcough*).

Edited by Wahya

Another breeding restriction should be on inbreeding-- make it so you can't do it. I know this would also damage lineages, but...

Just to clarify I don't hate you. I do hate this idea.

You can't just ban something because YOU don't like it! If we banned everything any player said that they didn't like then most of the players here couldn't play.

If it was like real life with damage to the offspring then sure but there are no ill-effects so I’ll inbreed as much as I like thanks!

I deliberately make very pretty lineages with my inbred dragons.

If you don't like inbreeding don't inbreed and give any inbreds you catch to people who collect inbreds. I know there is someone who does; search for the Inbred Shelter on the forums. Simples.

1) Mass-breeding only ever helps. Please don't try to stop it! A couple of hours of the AP showing only one kind of egg is a small price to pay for the improvement of the breeding ratios and ability to have near-incuhatchable AP eggs.

2.) As someone who does Seasonal lineages, a 30 day wait to breed would be devastating. Each new season, I only have 13 weeks to breed for all of that season's projects. If I had to wait 4 weeks in between each, I could only breed a certain lineage four times maximum during the season (weeks 1, 5, 9, and 13). If there was a no egg or two in there, Seasonal lineages would go nowhere.

3.) Many of you seem to be classifying players as either those who never want inbreds or those who absolutely don't care if their dragon is inbred. For me, I carefully create inbreds sometimes, I carefully avoid inbreds sometimes, and I breed without any regard to the dragon's lineage sometimes (*cough*mass-breeding BSAs*cough*). I don't want highlighting or a user option implying that one of those is wrong by virtue of being there.

That said, any sort of lineage preview would be amazing. It wouldn't even have to be linked anywhere distracting those who don't care about lineages: like /n/[NAME], it could be available by typing in the url, i.e. /preview/[code1]/[code2].

1) Mass-breeding only ever helps. Please don't try to stop it! A couple of hours of the AP showing only one kind of egg is a small price to pay for the improvement of the breeding ratios and ability to have near-incuhatchable AP eggs.

But I thought TJ has already said that bred eggs don't affect the ratio of CB eggs?

No support. We already have a required age: Adult.

Exactly. It would be very annoying if building lineages would get more difficult and took longer than it already takes. We already have to wait until they're adult, and after breeding it takes seven days to do it again. I don't think we need any new restrictions. And about mass breeding, it's really helpful for many people to get mates for their lineages and collecting breeds. I think it's a bad idea to deny massbreeding. ANd if somebody doesn't like inbreds, you really don't have to get or breed any inbreds.

But I thought TJ has already said that bred eggs don't affect the ratio of CB eggs?

No one has EVER been able to produce a quote from him showing that, I ask every time. The only similar one I've seen was many, many years old. So.... Its really just rumor that hasn't been confirmed. :/ And given the way rumors work around here, until I see that quote, it wasn't made.

I prefer to see what I see with my eyes..... Which is that there is a link, but other factors are involved. That breeding DOES affect CBs, because Mints went from being blockers to being normal commons when 42 began mass-breeding them. Same with other breeds. But then you have Coppers, which are uncommon / rare depending on biomes but all breed like uncommonish commons. But then, you also have them competing for space with mega blockers in the Biomes.

Cheers!

C4.

Nah, he didn't (or if he did, I missed it, which is also possible - but since I have a strong interest in this subject, that would be unfortunate indeed ohmy.gif).

It's user observation, at this point largely based on how starkly disconnected breeding new releases and CB drops of the same new releases are; which seems to have started around the metal glut in 2013-ish (which is also blacks and stripes stopped being near-extinct in the cave quite abruptly, having been bred to previous metaphorical CB-death for their breed-only sprites).

Edited by pinkgothic

No one has EVER been able to produce a quote from him showing that, I ask every time. The only similar one I've seen was many, many years old. So.... Its really just rumor that hasn't been confirmed. :/ And given the way rumors work around here, until I see that quote, it wasn't made.

Just popping in real quick to say this was the only one I could find: which implies bred and cb egg populations are tied together. That was still 2013, though more recent than the 2011 one I think you might be talking about. xP

Just popping in real quick to say this was the only one I could find: which implies bred and cb egg populations are tied together. That was still 2013, though more recent than the 2011 one I think you might be talking about. xP

*knows this post* \o/

That being said, it's in past tense, replying to a different post in past tense, so I actually don't feel it implies what you say it does. Paraphrasing, to make the way it parses to me apparent: "You think bred and CB ratios being separate was tried once before in the past, and you think it turned out badly, but what you saw back then wasn't a proper separation. Also, I am not making any statement about how it is now."

But I think that post's been discussed to death elsewhere. Whee, interpretations! (When in doubt, mine is wrong.)

Also, since I think I haven't said anything about the original suggestion yet: I would prefer no additional hurdles on breeding. For a lot of people, it's already frustrating enough having to wait a week between breedings when the pairing is only barely compatible and keeps giving 'no interest' results, I would not want to make their lives even more difficult by having to wait an extra amount before they could even try to pair. (My pairs seem to be about as cooperative as I need them to be, with very few exceptions, but I know others are not always so lucky.)

Edited by pinkgothic

*knows this post* \o/

That being said, it's in past tense, replying to a different post in past tense, so I actually don't feel it implies what you say it does. Paraphrasing, to make the way it parses to me apparent: "You think bred and CB ratios being separate was tried once before in the past, and you think it turned out badly, but what you saw back then wasn't a proper separation. Also, I am not making any statement about how it is now."

But I think that post's been discussed to death elsewhere. Whee, interpretations! (When in doubt, mine is wrong.)

Also, since I think I haven't said anything about the original suggestion yet: I would prefer no additional hurdles on breeding. For a lot of people, it's already frustrating enough having to wait a week between breedings when the pairing is only barely compatible and keeps giving 'no interest' results, I would not want to make their lives even more difficult by having to wait an extra amount before they could even try to pair. (My pairs seem to be about as cooperative as I need them to be, with very few exceptions, but I know others are not always so lucky.)

See, I read that post of his totally different, and I get what Sock got out of it: that breeding and Biomes are tied together, and the previous situation was an oops. Key to me is the use of the term "overall population", indicating that the cave *does* take into consideration the over-all population for both the biomes and breeding in some fashion. That's not to say that there isn't some flex.

And yea, we definitely do NOT need any more hurdles to breeding. I just finished this line:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/yS37J

Pretty, isn't it? I bred the first egg on Nov 18, 2014, and the final egg (5th gen) was born on Jun 21, 2015. Good, huh? Yep. I had a couple alts, several refusals and the like.

Now compare it to this project, with blockers (Albinos and Olives), which isn't even *finished* yet, and you start to see how ridiculously brutal breeding is:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/FKrrd x http://dragcave.net/lineage/9rlb6 (once I get an Albino out of one of their parents, that is)

Nov 18, 2012 is the day I bred the first of the 2nd gens. Granted, the first year or so was slow as I wasn't breeding them consistently. But I bred this project just about every single week in 2014 and 2015 so far.

So, the Uncommon x Uncommon line took 6 months. The Blocker x Blocker line has taken 2.5 YEARS, and still isn't complete. We don't need more blocks to breeding.... We need something to help it out!

Cheers!

C4.