Szayelapporo

Further Restrict Breeding

Don't hate me for this. Maybe we could add a restriction on breeding? Other sites require the dragon(or animal) to be a certain age before they can breed. Most of these are about thirty days. Perhaps we can get this implemented into the game eventually, to cut down the mass breeding and make lineages grow at a slower rate?

Don't hate me for this. Maybe we could add a restriction on breeding? Other sites require the dragon(or animal) to be a certain age before they can breed. Most of these are about thirty days. Perhaps we can get this implemented into the game eventually, to cut down the mass breeding and make lineages grow at a slower rate?

It wouldn't cut down on mass breeding. I have nearly a thousand deep sea dragons, most of which are well over a year old, and all of which are off breeding cooldown.

And why would it be a benefit for lineages to grow more slowly? I think that DC's generation length is a good period of time: long enough to take work, not so long as to be absurd and boring like Flight Rising. I won't even play around - I basically quit Flight Rising every month after I've bred the one pair I'm still actively seeking a combination from, because the rest of the game is boring and the breeding cooldowns are so long as to be irritating.

No support. We already have a required age: Adult.

There's little else for people to do besides lineage build, and this would anger a lot of them. We have to wait at the very minimum of five days for a new dragon to grow up, and then there is a week long cooldown afterwards. What is the point of slower lineages?

Same here. I have almost 200 whites and 150 greys, and all are past 30 days.... It wouldn't affect anything in any positive way, and would greatly annoy lineage builders.

Edited by fuzzbucket

We have enough restrictions on everything. Before you can breed, your dragon has to be an adult. Once your dragon has grown into an adult, you have to make sure that you have two breeds that can breed with one another and dragons that are the opposite sex. There are many questions from new players asking why dragon X can't breed with dragon Y and they end up being different species.

Once you have two adults that can breed together, you may or may not even get an egg from the pairing. Sometimes, the adults refuse and you're back at square one with getting new mates. And, after the breeding, there is a seven-day cooldown.

I don't really see the point of restricting anything. You won't stop mass breeding. You'll only frustrate players. Also, there is nothing saying that a player has to participate in a mass breed or even be affected by it. If you don't want bred eggs from the AP, you can breed eggs yourself, pick up CB eggs in the cave, or ask for people to breed on the forums/ pick up free gifts from there as well. There are plenty of options without adding more restrictions.

Edited by Jazeki

I usually reserve mass-breeding for BSAs but by golly would a 30 day limit do nothing to stop me tongue.gif Currently I think mass-breeding is usually kept within sensible limits, and I see the speed of lineage building (with the exception of certain infuriating pairings) as being perfectly fine.

Breeding and lineages are the main reason I'm still playing this game. I already find the 7 day breeding rate restrictive, so making it 30 days would tick me off royaly.

We already have enough restrictions on this game, we do NOT need to add more.

No no no no no and no. 90% of my entertainment in this game comes from breeding projects, if I had to wait an extra 30 days to start wading through the nightmares of refusals and no eggs and wrong breeds I'd scream. Breeding projects are often hard enough and take long enough as-is! :T

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I agree with everyone above me. The 7 day cool-down is long enough for this, and even though I play FR, I dislike the cool-down times there. If on dragoncave, we had to wait 30 days to breed rares like metallics and holidays, people would be pretty upset. Longer breeding cool-downs in just asking for hate.

No support from me either. The reason I cannot support this suggestion is because I play DC exclusively because it allows me to create pretty lineages. I think the breeding cooldown is long enough as it is. Besides, there are still plenty of 'no interest', 'refusals' and dragons simply not producing eggs to further hamper down breeding efforts. I've started playing Flight Rising recently, a game that has breeding cooldowns up to 35 days for some species and after breeding my dragon and the fun part is over, such a game offers pretty much nothing but boring minigames and mindnumbing grinding for currency while waiting for the next breeding window to open - needles to say, I'd not wish anything alike happen to DC.

Besides, after years of playing I now have thousands of dragons on my scroll - even with such severe limitations I'd still be able to block the AP with eggs from my dragons if I wanted to. tongue.gif

Edited by stagazer_7

No support from me either. The reason I cannot support this suggestion is because I play DC exclusively because it allows me to create pretty lineages. I think the breeding cooldown is long enough as it is. Besides, there are still plenty of 'no interest', 'refusals' and dragons simply not producing eggs to further hamper down breeding efforts. I've started playing Flight Rising recently, a game that has breeding cooldowns up to 35 days for some species and after breeding my dragon and the fun part is over, such a game offers pretty much nothing but boring minigames and mindnumbing grinding for currency while waiting for the next breeding window to open - needles to say, I'd not wish anything alike happen to DC.

Besides, after years of playing I now have thousands of dragons on my scroll - even with such severe limitations I'd still be able to block the AP with eggs from my dragons if I wanted to. tongue.gif

Exactly, I have a little over 600 dragons, I could breed all of them, and fill the AP with babies. The reason the AP floods from time to time is mostly due to A: Breeding events set up by users. B: Holidays. Or C: Someone going through their scroll and Massbreeding. It may not even be that, and may be that several people, without contacting each other, breeding many of their dragons of one type on the same day and the eggs just went straight to the AP.

Edited by shadowfighter

Also, to address the OP directly--you seem like a fairly new user, so (and please forgive me if the assumptions are wrong!), I'm guessing you haven't had much experience with lineage projects yet. Unlike on Flight Rising, where (at least from my short lived experiences) it seemed most people cared about looks instead of parentage, on DC all the dragons look alike and so lineages are much more important. People thus usually aim to build big, impressive lines, like http://dragcave.net/lineage/95zaE, which can take months of work even if everything goes perfectly right--which it often doesn't! DC also has less "diversions" than FR does; beyond collecting, which many older players have often almost completed their main goals with, the main thing left to do is breeding. When you consider both these things, a longer cooldown before we can breed dragons the first time is pretty frustrating.

Secondly--while it's easy to see where concerns about too many people breeding too many eggs could arise--it's actually not a big problem here. Sometimes it's actually a good thing! The more people breeding, the more eggs go to the AP. When there's more eggs than everyone can snatch at once, we get a wall of low time eggs (which are, of course, much preferred over high time ones!), which is very nice. The wall often stays at a nice balance without getting even close to being so low as to endanger the eggs. If less people were breeding, though, then this wouldn't be possible.

In light of this, I hope some of your fears and concerns are slightly assuaged. ^^

I think one of the best things to happen to the "mass breeding" arguments/disagreements/wars have been the Player Planned "Holiday" Breedings. Where someone picks various holidays or times of year and rotates 3-4 breed types with themes and such and people join in. They dragons are purposely asked to be something someone would want to keep and since the breeds are rotated, it isn't a normal flood and a lot of people have fun both breeding and collecting. This gives people something to focus on and diverts attention from random flooding from boredom a bit, I think.

That being said, there are some threads to discuss why people breed several of certain breeds, where they discuss it being good or bad, and a "Good Breeder" Oath you can take, if you are interested, to only breed things you know someone will want or that you have a plan for it. If you aren't able to follow all the rules most or all of the time, you can also just "support" it by doing some of the stuff most of the time or in general.

Nothing wrong with submitting ideas, but the breeding discussions have been going on for years well beyond before I started, and I don't think TJ has found a reason yet to be inclined to have a coding change on it. You might want to search some of those threads as well and may find something more in line with your goals or ideas, or people who share them. So if you do have a breeding change idea, you can see whats already been proposed, the pros and cons, and work thru those if you really feel something needs to be fundamentally changed that hasn't had any change, despite all the other things TJ has changed and tweaked and improved, including things that were "Never going to change".

I'm not saying it will never change, it just isn't as likely without a compelling new insight or idea that hasn't been already raised.

I guess nobody pays attention to 'don't hate me for this' anymore. Another breeding restriction should be on inbreeding-- make it so you can't do it. I know this would also damage lineages, but...

And besides. Lineages grow too quickly, and the code combinations are going to run out quickly. Therefore, the breeding times should be longer. This also could potentially save room on the site.

I guess nobody pays attention to 'don't hate me for this' anymore. Another breeding restriction should be on inbreeding-- make it so you can't do it. I know this would also damage lineages, but...

And besides. Lineages grow too quickly, and the code combinations are going to run out quickly. Therefore, the breeding times should be longer. This also could potentially save room on the site.

There is a big difference between hating a person and hating a suggestion to change the game. I very much doubt anyone here hates you, but I do very much hate this idea! tongue.gif

Lineages often do not grow quickly, at all, and the codes the site can generate are immense. Even if a limit was reached, adding a sixth character would add millions more. Are you even reading people's responses, or...?

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

No one was "hating you for this". Disagreement does not equal hatred. Also, what's the point of stopping inbreeding? I'm sure a bunch of pixels don't agree with human morals.

How do lineages grow too quickly? Why is that a bad thing? I don't think anyone else thinks it is, so I'd like to know if you had a specific reason. When we run out of five-character codes, we'll simply move onto six character ones. Drawing out the breeding process won't stop that. And save room on the site for... what, exactly?

Edited by Niyaka

Just... why?

Mass breeding used to be an issue, way back when a full AP meant that the cave (which was later replaced by the biomes) was blocked. Now, however, this isn't the case anymore, so any kind of breeding is actually a good thing. Well, maybe not in the case of messy lineages... But that happens regardless of whether you have to wait 7 or 70 days before being able to breed for the first time.

And a big no to making lineages grow slower. With the recent rate of refusals, not to mention the time it takes to breed both breeds from your pairings, takes long enough already. Even purebred projects can take their sweet little time.

And regarding time and effort and lineages, imagine how long it takes to breed something like this yule x white checker, this flamingo x marrow checker or this red x Val '09 checker, where you can only breed the holiday dragons once a year. That's something you can only work on once a year! Restricting other kind of breeding projects like that wouldn't do any good, as many of us wouldn't be able to pass the time adequately - unless we'd breed more different lineages, of course. But that wouldn't amount to less breeding, just (maybe) more diverse breeding projects.

Inbreeding lineages is fun. Sure, in real life inbreeding and line-breeding are bad, but these are pixels and there are people who enjoy making hideously messy lines or incredibly neat ones that are nothing but descendants of a single parent line.

Some inbred lineages are actually very pretty. Here's a really nice example.

Edit: Two more by Sock, which I adore.

Edited by Niyaka

Your comment about linages growing "too fast" completely baffles me. I don't think you've ever tried to plan a lineage with difficult breeders. For many people, lineages are worked or for years, and may only grow two to four generations in a years. To slow down the breeding more wouldn't make sense.

As far as codes running out, they use to be four charcters. I assume that when 5 digit codes run out, we'll have 6 digit codes. and on and on...

Edited by dragongrrl

No one is expressing hate at you, just the idea.

Back when the game first started, lineages were not a part of the game at all. They were hidden until recently. While I don't inbreed my dragons, some people do breed really pretty inbred lineages. Also, some lineages take a really long time to develop like holiday checkers or lines that require certain breeds to work. Finally, code combinations won't run out. TJ just updated the codes to 5 digits to accommodate site growth.

We're not hating you, just the idea..

But anyway, if/when we run out of five letter/number codes, TJ can just add in six. Also, some inbred lineages can be very very beautiful! Lineages really don't grow to quickly, heck, I've been working on a Silver x Mistletoe stair ever since December and I've only gotten two offspring from it. Lineages grow quite slowly, and adding restrictions onto them will entince anger from most people. Most especially people (like me) who are lineage makers.

For what it's worth, since no one has brought this up yet: The longer we need to wait to be able to breed dragons, the longer it will take to be able to fix breeding ratios of new species. Basically, at the moment, new species tend to completely dominate breeding results, sometimes very frustratingly so.

Where's the hating on you ? Many here hate the idea, is all. There's a load of other suggestions I don't like, too - I have as much right not to like this idea as you have to want it.

As for the inbreeding thing - NO-ONE better tell me I can't do these:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/uFEyb

http://dragcave.net/lineage/J6LB3

People ASK me for babies, so they can't be that dreadful.

If you don't want inbreds - toss them back. Others don't mind them, so no problem

I'm sure TJ will manage to deal with codes. We used to have 4 digit ones and he has upped that to 5. But I can't see what you mean about lineages growing too quickly. Too quickly for whom ? I have had several that have been stuck for MONTHS. Not counting the ones with nebulas, where I get the wrong colour, or the ones with new breeds where one just CANNOT get the other species for AGES. There are enough problems with building lineages without making it even harder.

As for the inbreeding thing - NO-ONE better tell me I can't do these:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/uFEyb

http://dragcave.net/lineage/J6LB3

People ASK me for babies, so they can't be that dreadful.

Say, I snagged one of your pretty Pillows from the AP a couple of weeks ago - thanks for dropping it. <3

Anyhow, as the others already said, disagreeing with someone doesn't equal hate towards that person. smile.gif I just feel that stretching the breeding cooldown periods would severely cripple lineage work and with it the way I (and many other players) play the game and so I cannot support this suggestion.

Besides, I don't really feel this would do anything to improve the game, other then making pretty, organized lineages way more difficult to do and fill the AP with non-incuhatchable eggs, because there'd be a lot less breeding happening and so these eggs wouldn't have the opportunity to sit in a queue before appearing in the AP. Yes, some players breed long, messy lineages, but these are perfect for freezing, so even they have their uses.