Szayelapporo

Further Restrict Breeding

I agree with Fuzzbucket - intentional or not, a warning carries an implicit negative judgement. There"s nothing wrong with inbreeding, so it doesn't need a warning anymore than a 'clean' lineage does.

/.02

There are lots of people asking for a warning before a bred egg gets sent directly to the AP, and yet potentially even more people deliberately breed to the AP than deliberately make inbred lineages.

I don't think there's anything wrong with an optional inbreeding warning - it's not passing judgement, it's just something many people would like help avoiding.

There are lots of people asking for a warning before a bred egg gets sent directly to the AP, and yet potentially even more people deliberately breed to the AP than deliberately make inbred lineages.

I don't think there's anything wrong with an optional inbreeding warning - it's not passing judgement, it's just something many people would like help avoiding.

I agree - I don't actually want that warning either - though I can live with a note on the page that simply says "you are egg-locked". I can choose whether to read that and whether to ignore it of I do, without added popups and the rest. (I am at the moment on dicey capped internet and suddenly remember how strongly I feel about ANY extra popups, page loads etc, and why...! mad.gif )

I agree - I don't actually want that warning either - though I can live with a note on the page that simply says "you are egg-locked". I can choose whether to read that and whether to ignore it of I do, without added popups and the rest. (I am at the moment on dicey capped internet and suddenly remember how strongly I feel about ANY extra popups, page loads etc, and why...!  mad.gif )

My point is that I wouldn't mind either, as long as they're optional and neither is a pop-up (because goodness knows we have a million too many of those already). I don't think a warning is saying 'bad thing' or even 'thing no one wants' it's saying 'enough people have asked for help avoiding this to be worth making a note of it'.

WELL - hows about just "The offspring of this pair will have some shared ancestors." Not WARNING; not "Do you wish to proceed". Just info. That is the FURTHEST I would be OK with. I don't want to be WARNED about my bouncy pillows or my burning wizards smile.gif

That's pretty much what I mean by warning smile.gif None of these awful exclamation marks recently spawning all over the site for benign things like influencing, just a simple clear statement like you suggest is 'warning' enough.

We're not struggling for space on the breed page - it should be clear but unintrusive as an extra line under the 'breed' button, no extra clicks, passwords or pages.

No no no no not a WARNING as there is nothing wrong with inbreeding; TJ has said. There is a WHOLE THREAD ABOUT THIS.

If you are to "warn" about inbreeding you have to also warn about "warning this egg will not have any shared ancestors" and "Warning; this egg will not be Even Gen" and so on.

And ABSOLUTELY NO WAY block inbreeding. Look at the lovely inbred ljnes within this thread ! The only thing I would accept would be a BSA (suggested somewhere) where you could sterilise a dragon - make it unable to breed for ever.

Yeah yeah TJ has said he has said...whatever he said, it was in Sept 2012, girl xd.png

I worked on my own IB lineages and you don't see me telling other people they have to like it or accept it, Fuzz.

Some people might think it's quite disturbing - also for private, problematic reasons which these people do not want to think of -, and there are also kids playing this game.

Just because we have no problems with it doesn't mean other people who don't like it have to deal with it or are "wrong".

It would be a considerate thing to offer an option for people who don't like inbreeding and to make lineage breeding a tiny little bit easier for players. Such things are much more important than Matrix-Sloths, imao ahahaha! (I love Sloths)

My point is that I wouldn't mind either, as long as they're optional and neither is a pop-up (because goodness knows we have a million too many of those already). I don't think a warning is saying 'bad thing' or even 'thing no one wants' it's saying 'enough people have asked for help avoiding this to be worth making a note of it'.

Theres different connotations to each message. A message stating "You are currently over burdened and any new eggs produced will be abandoned" Carries an air of caution. This caution is different though because it means that anything you don't plan to AP might get AP'd so that 2nd gen silver you wanna try and breed? Careful cuz if that message is there, its not gonna stay on your scroll and you ain't giftin squat.

A message saying "The following pair will produce an inbred egg" is also a message of caution but this caution makes you think "Inbred, inbred is bad, so I wont do it." A message that says "watch out inbreeding about to happen" might make them think that inbreeding is bad.

The places that I've seen have warnings about inbreeding are all games that make it so that inbreeding has an adverse affect. It causes harm to the creature, animal, thing that is being inbred and as such it will have an inbred meter or a warning during the breeding stage saying that you are about to create an inbred and as such harm your line. Inbreeding here has no such effect so to that matter there is absolutely no reason to add a warning to something that has no adverse effect on the dragon nor the player.

An auto AP warning is to some degree okay because auto APing can be seen as harmful because its a step back in a breeding project, a trade, or a gift. inbreeding doesnt cause any effect to anything whatsoever. If someone doesnt want it, they don't have to keep it. simple as that. If you personally don't want them on your scroll nor want to breed them then dont. Label your dragons, check before you breed, and double triple check codes to ensure its the right mate. Adding in a warning that makes a harmless feature seem like a bad thing is counter productive.

[EDIT:]

In lieu of the added suggestions of a comment stating "These dragons may share ancestors" is okay I guess but I mean honestly I don't think its necessary to have all these little warnings or remarks about "You're scroll is full" "You egg might share ancestors" etc. I think thats a bit much and honestly uneeded but if its not intrusive and somewhere I can ignore it then meh.

Edited by AnanoKimi

Rather than a warning for inbreeding, I'd prefer lineage links on the breed page. Lets you check for inbreeding AND a host of other things (did I pick that matching mate or a different dragon by mistake? Are they the same gen? Will they look good together? Etc) without any negative connotations about anything.

Rather than a warning for inbreeding, I'd prefer lineage links on the breed page. Lets you check for inbreeding AND a host of other things (did I pick that matching mate or a different dragon by mistake? Are they the same gen? Will they look good together? Etc) without any negative connotations about anything.

Her Idea, I like that one. Personally I have some projects that were gifts from inbred dragons. I even have a deadline evengen from and inbred couple and trying to find it an IB deadline mate.

The idea with IB is so I can check myself and see. NORMALLY I check on AoND but they may be offline awhile.

That works. It's actually been suggested here, but hasn't received any commentary since March.

Lineage preview before breeding has also been suggested here, another topic which has been inactive since March.

There's also a suggestion for customizing a dragon's breeding list and a similar suggestion here, which would let you select a lifemate for a dragon and remove any chance of accidentally breeding it to something else.

Yeah yeah TJ has said he has said...whatever he said, it was in Sept 2012, girl xd.png

I worked on my own IB lineages and you don't see me telling other people they have to like it or accept it, Fuzz.

TJ has not only said it; Sock and other mods have reiterated it over and over. I am certain sure he will always say there is no down side to inbreeding and it is in no way wrong. I would put actual money on it.

Would you be OK with inbreeding being outlawed ? Do you WANT a "warning" that you are doing something bad ?

Also no one is telling anyone to accept it or like it. You don't HAVE to like it, you don't HAVE to participate on inbred lineages, you don't HAVE to do anything.

That doesnt mean because someone doesnt like it we should all pay the price and have inbreeding demonized or removed. Warnings would instil the idea that inbreeding is wrong when its not. Removal would mean the end of so many gorgeous lines.

If someone dislike inbreds then toss em back if you pick one up in the AP. If you breed one on accident, dump it, kill it, bite it, hatch it and freeze it, gift it in the departure thread, there are so many ways to deal with inbreeding for those who dislike it. No one is shoving inbreds down anyone's throats while saying in an angry, forceful tone "YOU HAVE TO LIKE IT!" No.

I don't have a big interest in trading lineages. unless they are personally made by me they do not matter to me. I prefer CB dragons over bred dragons unless they are BSA's like reds or pinks. Personally I kind of dislike lineages and the overall percieved value they seem to have but does that mean that I'm running around saying "We should remove lineages because their annoying and mess with the trades." Nope. I don't like them, but I deal. I toss back lineages AP eggs I don't like/want, or I bite them because I like vampires, or I gift them in the departure threads if I think their nice or feel like someone might like it. I don't see Fuzz or ADP shoving linaged eggs down my throat forcing me to like them. Just like no one is forcins inbred eggs down anyone throats forcing them to like it.

If you don't like it then don't worry about it. It doesnt involve you. If you dislike inbreeding, there are multiple options on how to deal with it that in no way fully affect your gameplay. toss em, bite em, gift them, freeze them, the options are there. No reason to go placing a warning or even a statement about it. Its redundant and unneeded.

Edited by AnanoKimi

An inbreeding warning is fine as long as it's something you opt into. By default you wouldn't have the warning, so it isn't implying that inbreeding is officially bad.

An inbreeding warning is fine as long as it's something you opt into. By default you wouldn't have the warning, so it isn't implying that inbreeding is officially bad.

This.

Though.. as long as we're talking about optional warning, I'd really like one that would warn when I'm about to breed two dragons with different generation lengths (like accidentally breeding a 2nd gen with a 3rd gen).

Personally, I'd prefer a "lineage preview" link beside the "breed" link. This way, you can easily view the lineage of the resulting offspring (with the mystery egg as the default). Once on the preview page, you get two options:

"Breed" and "Return to previous page".

Simple, effective, totally voluntary - and good for more than just preventing inbreeding.

Personally, I'd prefer a "lineage preview" link beside the "breed" link. This way, you can easily view the lineage of the resulting offspring (with the mystery egg as the default). Once on the preview page, you get two options:

Simple, effective, totally voluntary - and good for more than just preventing inbreeding.

I think this would be the best solution.

I would prefer that too. A lineage preview would be awesome for seeing how two dragons look together without needing an external tool, it'd let you know if the generations match up, and it'd help avoid inbreeding.

I think OP means by "mass breeding" they mean the flood of commons (mints, canopy, deep sea, etc) in the AP at times.

Even if this is the case, I disagree with restricting people's choice to breed whatever they want. As stated above, we already have a wait period, and the refusals, etc.

In a way, DC is kind of like a "no rule" game in regards to how you do things...within reason of course (you can inbreed, "hoard", mass breed, etc).

Even if one person hates mints (or any dragon), and sees a massive flood of them in the AP, that doesn't mean that EVERYONE does. Give the eggs a day and then they'll be gone and the user can go to the AP for things they DO want. For some, the massive flood of a certain species is an opportunity for them to collect their favorite dragon, add some neat lineages to their scroll, or what have you.

If you mean just restricting people breeding anything in general..please no. Even if it's "just" 5 days for a dragon to grow up, that doesn't count the time to make the lineage. There's refusals, the wrong egg is bred, or the dragon is a rarer breed and getting an egg out of them is just a pain.

I think this would be the best solution.

Go say so! It's more likely to make a difference there than it will here, I think.

It's just about impossible to build any one breed wall in the AP for more than a couple of minutes anymore. Fans of whichever breed happens to be dropping swarm in and clear out the dropping eggs, and if you hear of the drop too late, they're all gone.

We don't need any of the limits proposed in this thread, and I really miss 42.

This topic has been re-opened.

Posts containing off topic discussion and incendiary content have been removed.

Regardless of how touchy a subject is, personal attacks are NEVER okay. Period.

If you have a problem with another member, take it to PM or contact a moderator.

In the future, let's keep discussing the merits of the actual suggestion, instead of focusing on wildly tangential what-if scenarios.

Thank you.

It's just about impossible to build any one breed wall in the AP for more than a couple of minutes anymore. Fans of whichever breed happens to be dropping swarm in and clear out the dropping eggs, and if you hear of the drop too late, they're all gone.

We don't need any of the limits proposed in this thread, and I really miss 42.

As frustrating as that wall of Mints could be, I didn't mind it. smile.gif

I agree, much better to have a lineage preview function. And for those who want to know about inbreeding, perhaps shared ancestors could be highlighted, like in many horse lineage views? Just a tiny block of color next to the name of ancestors that are repeated.... And it'd only show up when you go to lineage preview.

That way, there is no "warning", no text, nothing that could be perceived as good or bad. Just a simple visual indication that there's a repeat. And for lineages longer than 12 generations, perhaps a little line of color on the outside of the box where there's a repeat further back?

Here's an example: Zenyatta's pedigree:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/zenyatta

Cheers!

C4.

This suggestion is destructive.

E.g. I always try to get 3 of each new release, influence and incubate 2 and right after they grow up I breed them to find out if they don't refuse. The 3rd one is a spare, if the couple refuses I keep it but if the couple doesn't refuse I don't need it and I abandon it for other players to catch so a CB doesn't go to waste. If I had to wat any longer with the birst breeding of each new couple, I'd have to always waste a CB of each new release. And this is just one of the uncounted examples of how destructive any breeding limitations would be. The refusals do enough harm already, we don't need additional obstacles.

I'm deeply against non-monogamous breeding but I wouldn't like to see an introduction of monogamy forced by the system... Just because mine are strictly monogamous doesn't mean other players would be fine about being unable to breed how they like.

I also have some inbreds: 1 couple is a brother and sister, the rest - I don't know but I'm shure they are inbred.

What about an optional setting (under account settings) that allows you to check a box and put in your password, to opt in for inbred prevention.

Ideally, This section of options would include:

Inbred prevention: would likely cause lag, however, when you go to breed two dragons together for the first time, it will scan lineages (lets say 6 generations) for common ancestors. If none are shared, then the breed button could light up, and you would breed normally. Anything with shared ancestors, would be in red text.

Population Control: It could use a better name, but this option would allow you to /lock/ your scroll so you can NOT breed more than you can hold. I have a feeling this one could be trouble around holidays though, possibly.

Lineage Previews: Adds a link on the breed page, that when clicked will launch a pop up (or new tab) of what potential babies would look like.

The benefit to this is that it becomes the individual users choice on how their experience with this game would be. Im sure there are other options that could be added, but I am drawing a blank atm.

Edited by Thuban