Epyon

Pirates of the Realms OOC

Sorry :c You're gonna have to give me a little while to get around to making a response. I've got a bit of a workload still to take care of from school.

I have a question about the average crew size listed for the ships in one of the first posts in the IC thread.

If we take the schooner, 156 ft long (47m), then having 200-290 crewmen sounds incredibly much. If a brig takes 12 to 16 crew to sail wikipedia source in brig, 75-165 ft in length), then a schooner would be about the same? Is it possible the numbers of average crew size are off?

I am in no way knowledgeable of ships, so please correct me if I am wrong smile.gif

It certainly is possible that my research could be off, although 12 to 16 men would definitely be a skeletal crew that would just be for sailing. Now that I think about it, 200 men would be crammed on a 47m vessel, I'll go fix that.

There, that should be better.

Edited by Epyon

Hey, Whispers.

I think you might have missed that Grimwald and Calendriel would be going to the schooner while Zaknayrr and Aireia would head to the brig. Your post made it seem that Calendriel was on the same longboat as Zaknayrr and Aireia.

If you'd like to come into the fold, feel free to post a character sheet, Psy. smile.gif

Okay, but... it looks a little over my head.

I'm not even sure where to enter.

I see what you mean. You could enter at anytime really. Right now the Pirates haven't had a first contact with their foe so anything can still happen. Which would you be interested in being? A pirate hunter, a pirate, or a merchant?

I've been mulling it over and reading the main thread to get a basic idea of the RP itself.

I'm curious, how do merchants really fit in all this? Seems like the only way to properly interact is to be either a Pirate or a Pirate Hunter.

Unless... I do have this idea, but I need an answer to the question above before I speak about it. :|

@Psyduck Without the merchants being attacked repeatedly by pirates, there would've been no influx to the amount of pirate hunters. The merchants in this rp will have the most free range in terms of plot. Pirates can attack merchant and pirate hunter vessels while the pirate hunters are basically the police force. Patrolling the sea and pursuing the pirates wherever they see them.

@Biologist I would say yes. Once Narvix puts her pirate into play, I'll bring in the storm that Calendriel pointed out to Dangan.

@Whispers If that's okay with you, of course.

Username: Psyduck

Name: Bryce S. Marlowe

Race: Human

Class: Mage

Weapons: In his line of work, it is important for Bryce to look as inconspicuous as possible. As such, he carries a single double-edged blade sheathed on his waist, where most guardsmen also carry their weapons. In reality, Bryce is inexperienced in fencing, and rarely uses the sword at all, preferring to make quick escapes, rather than get his hands dirty. Should he be cornered and left with no other options, he employs the only weapons he is truly confident with:

Having had to deal with nothing but thugs and the occasional mercenary or two by himself, Bryce has rarely had to encounter a heavily armored opponent. As such, his arsenal is best suited for dealing only with the more agile and unprotected of enemies. His first line of defense is a pair of 23cm long serrated blades he keeps hidden under his jacket. Their primary function is to deliver large painful injuries in the form of gashes and rending slashes, so as to overpower the attacker by overwhelming them with pain, or ultimately bleeding them out. Even so, Bryce is no master of fighting in close quarters, and he is well aware of that. Although he has never had to deal with anything exceptionally significant in his line of work, he emphasizes on his secondary, and last line of defense: sorcery.

Having invested a large amount of his wealth into private tutoring by a multitude of wizards and sorcerers, Bryce has made rapid and significant progress in his path towards mastering mysticism, both by intense practice, and physical augmentations done by skilled alchemists and medical practitioners alike. While he is generally adept in most major forms of sorcery, he is most proficient in the branch most beneficial to him; illusion. With his expertise in it he is able to manifest many ways to throw his opponents off-guard, conceal himself or even mentally manipulate those with weak enough minds. Even so, such trickery is only very effective against those mentally weak enough to succumb to it. His experience as a fence has had him dealing with thugs, who usually fit that bill. Aside from that, he most often relies on Fire and Ice elementalism to lay waste to those he would see dead.

Appearance: Bryce has no reservations about using any means to bolster his potency as a mage. As such, the majority of his body is covered in tattoos, etched into his skin with inks designed to provide an additional reserve of energy to tap into when casting spells. Even so, he goes out of his way to he hide the fact that he is a mage. He dresses in long-sleeved outfits, leather gloves included, and fastens his attire in such a way as to appear as mundane as possible. Unfortunately, even those precautionary measures aren't effective enough to stop those who have the capacity to sense a mage's aura, and those perceptive enough to see through his attire; as a result, a large portion of his income is invested into keeping rumors from spreading by any means necessary.

Clothing aside, he has the apparel of a tired man. His brown short-cut head of hair connects downwards with his chin, where a thick, et short trimmed beard resides. Above his lightly scarred nose reside two deep hazel-brown eyes, always darting from place to place, as if looking for something.

Personality: Years spent keeping on the low, usually referred to "the guy" in reference to his illegal smuggling and money laundering operations has made Bryce a recluse. He seldom ever speaks of himself or his work, other than when business is involved. When it comes to making money, he's always more than happy to handle any so called "underground" affairs, as it is his experience and his conviction that those are the most profitable ones. His wide list of contacts has shrunk over the weeks after his most recent stunt, due to his rapidly declining capital, leaving him with more enemies than friends, causing varying degrees of paranoia in him, easily detectable by those observant enough. Lastly, Bryce isn't shy of lifting a mug and enjoying some booze, but seldom allows himself to get plastered. He carries a pipe and specially blended tobacco of unknown origins and contents, that he is frequently seen smoking.

History: Born to Samuel and Marie Marlowe, two respectable members of the merchants' union, Bryce had a good upbringing, with a proper education in finance and trade to take after his parents' trade. He was never a level-headed child; not getting into fights or picking up bad habits throughout his development, he was growing up to be a promising member of society. Unfortunately, his parents' ambition for him lead him to develop a dangerous mindset. At the difficult age of 17, Bryce was firmly convinced of one thing only:

"Never allow anyone to stand in your way to success, and run over those who do, so that they may never get back up to try it once more."

With his ambition overshadowing his morality and his parents' passing, it was of no surprise that Bryce eventually started dealing with the "underground" trade, consisting of smuggling stolen goods, illegal weaponry and other such dangerous wares such as poisons and explosives, in addition to covering the tracks of those who made their fortunes by illegal means, to get a cut of his own in the process. Through shred negotiation, much bribery, and a bit of bloodshed to glue the whole ordeal together, he had established himself as one of the go-to people for pirates and other such bandits to dispose of their stolen wares safely, and for a good price.

Sadly, as is with all good things, Bryce's time in the sun ran out. In his pursuit to better himself in his new passion, the arcane arts, he'd compromised his own anonymity just enough to attract enough attention to scare off his business partners in crime. Those he once called brothers started turning against him, and his capital soon collapsed as he lacked the funds to keep people's mouths shut, resulting in more and more bloodshed as a compensation, which only worsened his situation.

Eventually, at the age of 32, his empire had collapsed, and he was a wanted fugitive.

Yet even with everything he'd worked for crushed under the steel boot of the law enforcement, he remained determined to renew his trade, or find a new purpose.

Months went by as he remained in hiding, frequently moving from area to area, but never wandering too far away from where it'd all started.

Pirate or Pirate Hunter or Merchant: Merchant (Fence) / Pirate

Ship's Name: Stormlight

Ship Type: Brigantine

Edited by Psyduсk

Simple, really. Just input the name of Briagh's ship in the appropriate spot on the sheet, I'm guessing crewmember as a rank unless Briagh says otherwise. Last but not least, the ship type which is a brigantine.

Edited by Epyon

Simple, really. Just input the name of Briagh's ship in the appropriate spot on the sheet, I'm guessing crewmember as a rank unless Briagh says otherwise. Last but not least, the ship type which is a brigantine.

I get that, but then where do I start him off? Onboard the ship?

You'd have him start on the ship since the crew is currently at sea in the present RP time. However, it's up to you whether you want him to be a fresh and new recruit or a member that's been part of the crew for some x amount of time before the start of the RP. smile.gif