Epyon

Pirates of the Realms OOC

That makes for some really short posts, but okay.

Possibly. But starting an action against another PC and then having it go through without giving them a chance to react (either to block or retaliate), is godmodding. We don't have to if I'm the only one who feels that way though. So let's see what the others think?

Not really tongue.gif You can always focus on their internal thoughts, emotions, body language, reactive actions, and surroundings. I have a hard time with dialogue bits so I often fall back on the other subjects of interest (or non-interest) if I don't want to leave off with a meager few sentences.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Mistress xd.png But, I am in slight agreement with her. I've seen lots of people start an interaction and then up and leave (whether because the second person didn't respond fast enough before someone else did or because the poster didn't give the second person a chance within their own post). Usually, it's less experienced writers that I see do it.

Edited by Narvix

I am familiar with that rule, but we usually keep it for combat situations only. (we meaning my small RP community)

When we employed it for every situation in an RP we once had called "Ancient Beginnings". it ended up a one-liner fest, and was promptly moved to freeform as a result. In freeform, it was flooded by illiterate RPers and well, I need not go on. sad.gif

I apologize for the inconveniences I might have caused thus far, and hope to meet the community standards henceforth.

Edited by Brotato

There is that, let me edit the other part out so that way Biologist can do something in response to Zaknayrr. Brotato can you cut out the part where Budrik is catching up the the departing crew? I'll axe everything after Zaknayrr's monologue.

Edited by Epyon

Well, if you edit the fact that Zaknayrr comes within easy striking distance into that he keeps his distance, your post is good to go for me. It wasn't the part that Zaknayrr left the inn, but that he came too close that causes trouble.

That would be the easiest way and no-one needs to axe their posts smile.gif

Sorry to cause trouble.

Question, should I edit Budrik back into the tavern?

I feel like I should, and edit the burp out. xd.png

Well, if you edit the fact that Zaknayrr comes within easy striking distance into that he keeps his distance, your post is good to go for me. It wasn't the part that Zaknayrr left the inn, but that he came too close that causes trouble.

That would be the easiest way and no-one needs to axe their posts smile.gif

Sorry to cause trouble.

Actually, it wasn't ever described that Zaknayrr was in striking distance. The word "strike" only pops up as "Zaknayrr had a thought to strike to the human". Doesn't strictly mean he's in striking distance.

As for Budrik, delete the burp or keep it, up to you. I'm more just curious how he knows the Shadow of Night belongs to Zaknayrr. Because I know the ship's name was only mentioned between Zaknayrr, Dangan, and Aireia. Or is it more a factor of it's the first ship he saw? o3o

Edited by Narvix

Zaknayrr growls in frustration as he stands and walks to be at the fore front of the conflict, and as he notes, within easy striking range of the human.

It can be taken both ways, easy striking range for him or for Grimwald. But sure, I'll edit that bit.

Popping in too xd.png.

IF it comes to blow, Cal's first action is to cast the Stoneskin she's been preparing on Grimwald. I've already talked it over with Biologist, and we both feel that Grim and Cal have been in enough scraps together that he recognizes her casting. So Grim won't resist the spell. If anyone here thinks that their character would recognize a spell being cast and take an action to stop Cal, let me know. If anyone would stop her, I'll end my post with her starting the incantation. If no one would stop her, I'll just go ahead and have her finish the spell in my post (since it'd be uncontested).

Note the use of the word IF.

Edit:

It's not a typical Swordmage spell, but it would be highly appropriate for a wannabe Bladesinger (aka self-proclaimed protector of all Elves!). Epyon, what do you think the odds are of Cal knowing Detect Alignment (Evil)? That might solve this mess xd.png.

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

Zaknayrr is skilled in aspects of the Art, he'll likely cast a globe of silence. Being around the most dangerous and skilled spellcasters and priestesses in his youth, Zaknayrr recognizes when someone is casting a spell.

Edit: Not likely, that is more something that a priest will know. But perhaps in her studying she could have come across it.

Edited by Epyon

Budrik has a shield.

...that's about it.

Just kidding, I'm not telling what Bud's gonna do in a scrap because then someone will use it against me. tongue.gif

Aireia would have the fastest method of stopping Cal as, after all, she has her bow drawn and ready. She'd feel the power of magic collecting (because you can't avoid that and everyone knows when magic is gathering since it's an actual feeling in this world) and may or may not recognize the spell but, regardless, wouldn't take any chances. I'll have to figure out what spells a Ranger would readily recognize and which ones they wouldn't.

Okay, okay, I'll stop my post when Calendriel begins casting xd.png.

I'm kinda flattered that the little elf casting a spell would be a big enough threat to have people redirect their attention away from the huge ass human with the huge ass sword xd.png.

I checked and Detect Evil is indeed a Cleric spell, so Cal doesn't know it (I'm going to stick to Arcane magic for her).

@ Epyon, Zak's write-up doesn't mention non-ranger spellcasting (Silence and Zone of Silence are both Bard/Cleric). That's not to say he couldn't have multi-classed, but maybe add it to your sheet and consider any other abilities you want to add? At this point we're all still getting used to our characters so fine-tuning is inevitable, but we want to avoid too many 'my character can also xyz' moments ('cause in my experience with stat-less RPs, that usually leads to a huge confusing mess).

@ Narvix, I'm actually not so sure that you can just feel magic build up in something. That would render the Detect Magic spell (which is a thing) rather pointless. 'Course you can still see a fellow elf begin mumbling strange words while pulling random pieces of scrap from her pocket, and probably know what that means smile.gif.

@ Epyon, I wanted to double check Cal's age (she's supposed to be a young adult) and found this for elves in D&D/Forgotten Realms:

110 = adult

175 = middle aged

263 = old

350 = venerable

Average lifespan = 200-900.

I'm gonna scale Cal's age back to 105. Like the Elf equivalent of being 18/19 ('adult is probably the equivalent of 21-ish). I'll send a sheet with the update (not shy, sarcastic, 105yo) tomorrow.

@ All, I'll try to post asap. May have missed my window with the oocing, in which case I'll do it when I can tomorrow. Sorry 'bout the delay. If anyone else wants to jump in, don't wait for me smile.gif.

Well, I was pulling the sensation bit from some of the books I've read in the Forgotten Realms series. x3 In the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy, it's described that the character felt the build up of magic in the air or the whine of magic.

Well, I was pulling the sensation bit from some of the books I've read in the Forgotten Realms series. x3 In the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy, it's described that the character felt the build up of magic in the air or the whine of magic.

Ah ok. Not sure the fiction matches the RPG there, but I do like the flavor of it so I'm on board if the fiction establishes a precedent for it. Though a spell would still need to have a casting time longer than instantaneous to intercept? (Not that it'll come up much - most spells take a full round to cast.)

Halfway through an IC post btw. I'm trying to figure out if swordmages do 'cast or wield a sword', or 'cast and wield a sword' akin to how Arcane Archers do it. That seems to be becoming quickly relevant xd.png.

I think swordmages do both (wield sword and cast magic).

Don't worry. It takes a little time for the magic to start amassing so Aireia won't notice until Cal's spoken a few words already at least.

Yea, I read that once a magic user is familiar with a spell, they only need to perform the triggering motion and speak the word. But of course, that's in the wikia, not necessarily correct for I've never seen that happen in the books I've read.

I think I may have found a way out of this mess.

"Who do you serve." Clever elf.

happy.gif

@ Narvix, thanks. I couldn't find it in my books - looks like I have a different (older/newer?) version of the player guide. Cast and fight together then. Like an Arcane Archer, but with sharp sticks smile.gif. Makes sense too - otherwise you'd spend every other round standing still while opponents try to stab you.

@ Epyon, I've never heard of that rule. There is a Feat that allows you to select 10 (? iirc) spells you can then cast without components and such. But doing that for every spell you know seems very powerful (not that I'd mind, said the Arcane Caster player wink.gif). We can always houserule things to make the game flow better though.

Is Budrik the only one acknowledging Aireia's words? xd.png And, even then, he didn't really acknowledge her words; just her arrow. :v