Epyon

Pirates of the Realms OOC

Everyone, I have an announcement.

My brother, the one you refer to as "Brotato" was hospitalized yesterday.

After struggling with severe abdominal pain for a short while, it was discovered that he has appendicitis. Thankfully, the operation went smoothly, and he is currently in recovery. He'll be fine.

He asked me to inform you this, and also to ask OP to strike both out characters from the roster. (even though mine as never submitted) We're in mutual agreement that we're no longer interested in this RP for various reasons.

He apologizes for holding anyone up, and that's basically all.

Edited by Ælex

That's quite severe! Good thing it was discovered in time. I wish him a speedy recovery!

Sorry this RP did not work for you two.

I'm also sorry that you lost interest, thank you two for your time.

I hope Brotato makes a fast and full recovery.

I think Grimwald is going to be disappointed. Pirate hunters don't obtain loot; they just get paid. Any items they claim from a successful hunt goes to the city that hired them to reimburse the victims of pirating. At least, that's my thought process and what makes most sense to me.

Also, did Cal just lie about being a Blade Singer? It's described in Cal's sheet that she's just a sellsword. Imagine how Zak is going to be when he discovers that she lied. There's no way to conceal that fact once she starts fighting and the Elves we have notice the level of skill she truly possesses.

Also, did Cal just lie about being a Blade Singer?

Oops no, that's me - I keep mixing up sword mage and blade singer (since the latter is the obvious prestige class to follow the former). Fixing it now.

I think it would not be strange to have a ship captain divide (part of the) loot. After all, a purely monetary compensation would make pirate hunting a job, a share in the loot makes it an adventure.

If the city of Waterdeep is going to appeal to the less lawful and good people's better nature to get them on board, they'd probably offer something like loot as well. That makes it interesting smile.gif

Except, it is a job and not an adventure. Personally, I feel splitting any loot should only occur if the original owner allows it as additional payment or a "tip". I mean, I certainly wouldn't want someone helping themselves to my belongings without my strict permission first. Would you? Secondly, a vast majority of pirated loot would be cargo on its way to a destination so it doesn't even belong to the victim in the first place. They'd lose their job if some of their cargo doesn't get to where it needs to be after so many raids and hunters "helping themselves". At that point, the hunter becomes just as bad as a pirate and shouldn't be considered a hunter anymore.

Edit: Plus, splitting the loot doesn't make for an adventure? It'd be the experiences during the job they were assigned to do.

Edited by Narvix

Zaknayrr's mention about some of the pirate hunter captains being no better than the pirates was in reference to that. He would never allow his crewmen to take liberties.

I imagine that the city of Waterdeep has reached and conscripted the people who'd go pirate hunting for a job, that's why they extended the call to arms to adventurers. So it might be a job to some, but to attract the less honor bound as well, they might want to sweeten the deal even further.

And in my opinion there is a difference between 'stolen cargo that needs to be retrieved' and 'loot'. Loot being personal items/money from the pirates themselves, them being the people we are to catch/fight/kill. Why would we, the good people of the city of splendors and those in their employ, care about their wishes concerning their belongings? They'd be lucky to keep onto their lives.

Sounds like a case of two chaotic characters signing up with a lawful captain xd.png. I think Grimwald's question is valid for his point of view, and that Zak is going to say no (though I do think Grim has a point about the pirates' personal possessions). Then we'll take it from there smile.gif.

Anyway, I have a question about what life on the ship will be like (roughly - I get that we still need to RP it).

Is there room for crew members (specifically PC crew members) to chime in on decision making? Are there restrictions (apart from don't steal, don't kill) on what they can do when they're off duty - and how much off-duty time are we planning?

I'm trying to gauge how much initiative Calendriel will have, hence the questions.

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

Well, I'm looking at it from a different angle, I guess. Personally, I don't think pirates actually "own" their belongings. They steal things and then trade those stolen things they don't decide to keep. Because, why honestly/legally buy your own belongings when you can just pick them out from plundered cargo? It just boils down to how long ago those "belongings" were stolen. The way I see things, the ship is perhaps the only thing that legitimately belongs to the pirates (and, even still, it only belongs to the captain).

Waterdeep is a reputable city. Why would it cater to those who would compromise that? Additionally, the hunters turn in the pirates they capture to authorities. That process includes handing over any of the items on their person for cataloging and further decisions made by the city's government. If a hunter withheld any information about what items were on a pirate, then they're committing fraud because they are essentially lying to the government.

They can't just take what they see fit from the pirates' "loot" because that just makes people think that a pirate somehow got into the employ of a hunter and that would spell bad news for the government because "you brought them here". People do care, you'd be surprised. Two wrongs don't make a right and people in a thriving city understand that. There will be consequences and you can't ignore that.

Edited by Narvix

More of a Neutral/chaotic captain. There is a tradition of taking the weaponry or armor from fallen enemies. That much Zaknayrr would allow, so he's in partial agreement with Grimwald.

To your questions; Yes, there is room to chime in on decision-making. No restrictions other than to not be the cause of trouble when off-duty, to not get thrown into the jails, not go alone, that sort of thing. Currently, the Shadow of Night will shove off the next morning. After that, we'll have to see how Tymora rolls her dice. Unless you all have some ideas...

Life on a ship is close quarters and not much privacy to be found. However, there are a few places on the ship where some can be alone with their thoughts such as the crows nest, the bow spirit and whatnot.

After that, we'll have to see how Tymora rolls her dice. Unless you all have some ideas...

Thanks for answering that! I think it'll work that way.

As for encounters - we could literally roll for it? 1d6: 1-3 is calm seas, 4-5 is encounter, 6 is environmental hazard. Or something like this.

Environmental hazard might be a storm or a reef, a windless week where we run out of food and water because we can't go anywhere to resupply...

I think smile.gif

Edited by Biologist

Never hurts to double check! I'll get a post up within the next couple of days. I really need to get better at making sure to post. -.-

Epyon, do you want to kick off the next scene or can anyone post? I was thinking we could go straight to the wee hours of the morning, just before we embark?

I was actually going to kick it off, but if you have a post then go right ahead. I was caught on whether to make the timeskip the next morning or having it be three days later when they come upon a couple of shipwrecks just off of Orlumbor.

Edited by Epyon

Alrighty, sorry for the inactivity. Rl's being a pain but expect a post within the next couple days.