AroaraAngelwolf

By the ocean blue...

Fyre smiled. "Looks like it's still working it's charm on you. " her necklace glitters in the dawn light. "The waves are like a rocker isn't it?" She lay on her back, in the waves letting it rock her.

"Something like that." He relaxed on his back, feet still in the water. He opened his eyes and asked a question. "...has there been anything you ever wanted to do but couldn't?"

"Many things.... I hardly leave the cove, open water is dangerous for us, with the things that lurk beneath, and nets and such. I would like to see more of the ocean. It's been a long time since I've been to Scotland, where I was born. I would like to see how the coast line has changed.

Jacus sat up to look at her, "If sirens are all female, what does that make your father?"

Fyre turned as red as her hair and stated coughing. After her sputtering she collected herself. "That isn't something to ask a siren. We used to.. get together with the other water folk, merpeople used to have offspring with each other but our magic changed after fighting and putting the beast in sleep. Now we have two choices. Humans or the monsters of the sea. If you have to know my father, he is a rather handsome sea monster off the coast of Scotland. If you have a map, he is the black and red fined one on there..... but now...... monsters are old and few, and we can only breed with sharks and whales if they allow us, mostly they don't.... that's why our tails are different. It is a piece of our father...." she waved her tail in the water at him, it makes sense because it was so long, about half the length of Engl's boat, about six feet long with a extra foot and 1/2 in the fin.

(( her dad but black body and red fins))

Jacus blinked, "...well... that's something that's hard to image... I sort of regret asking..." He scooted out of the water and sat in the middle of the boat, drinking from a whiskey bottle.

"I told you not to ask a siren that!" She called and with a leap landed on his deck and flopped until her tail was over board but most of her body was on the boat. "Why are you drinking so early in the morning it isn't good for you." She frowned at him.

He held the bottle up to look at, "First, you only just told me that now. Two, I was already planning on drinking the day away... such a nice day to do so too!" He laid back, not minding that she jumped on board. He had a goofy smile on his face as he hummed some random tune.

Fyre moved more on the boat and pulled the bottle out of his hands. "Or it is a good day to swim the reef with a beautiful woman who happens to have a fish tail... " She flicked water at him. Her eyes where aquamarine, and sparkles like the gem of that color would. "Or... would you like me to return when the alcohol has had its persuasion on you? Sailors under the influence have trouble resisting our calls.... who knows if my sisters would drown you. It would be a shame, and a pity.... a good sailor like you has to pass on his legacy, and surly some maiden ashore somewhere worries for you. "

Jacus laughed, "No no, my death would leave no orphans or widows. Besides, you forgot my story, when we get drunk, we are so out of it that we don't notice anything." Standing up, he looked at the water and the bottle Fyre held. "Alright, I'll spend some time in your domain. Wouldn't want to waste your day away on my boat." He walked to the bow of the ship and kicked the anchor over board.

Taking off his shirt, he dove into the water looking around for Fyre. His mind on high alert knowing other sirens could take advantage of him. In the water, Jacus was extremely vulnerable.

((Here we go!))

Embrye had no idea what to do. Because there was a cat with his pouch. Now, his first instinct would to be to take it back, but that would probably end with him being attacked. His second instinct was to pet it until it dropped it, but would the cat be friendly? And so, he stood there for a few seconds, unable to react properly, until he finally deiced he'd try to get it back anyways. Without hurting the cat, of course. He cautiously approached it, and sort of bend down, extending a hand. "Uh... Hey there, guy... Cat... Tomcat... Um... That's my pouch, can I please have it back?" He smiled timidly, ignoring the part of him that screamed out 'it isn't going to work!'

"You flatter me too much," Tyne responded with a smirk. He quickly noticed the man from before, but he seemed to be having problems responding to absolutely anything, judging by his blank stare. "...Uh." He raised an eyebrow as he saw the man lean over and mostly disappear from his view. "I'm going to pretend that I don't find that extremely weird and also that I'm not even more curious and oh hey I completely forgot you were here, Engl."

He paled, returning his gaze to the girl, and wishing his habit of speaking his thoughts out loud when he forgot other people were around would go away, but trying to avoid all humans, merpeople, and sirens minus Teya for fifty years- Okay, more then that, he was actually avoiding all of them since he was like twenty but something happened when he was around seventy-five that caused him to become extremely reckless for five years until someone attacked him and sent him into hiding once again but he wasn't going to think about his entire past- kind of left that habit. There was a reason he didn't know much about humans. Or merpeople. Or sirens. He kind of just acted on instinct and what the mermaid that raised him taught him, but he didn't like to think about her either because she's been dead for an awfully long time and he had to stop thinking for now.

He returned his mind to the present and continued staring at Engl. He didn't know why he felt a bit afraid that she knew that he was curious about that man, but he just felt like something was terribly wrong about this whole thing and his head hurt.

((I actually finished the outline of his whole history and for some reason I just felt like it'd be right to have him knowing a lot less then what he should. Mainly because it means I don't have to improvise as often.))

Edited by seacatsmew

((And it leaves me to explain more about my lore.)))

The cat dropped the bag and hissed, clawing at him before picking it back up and running off into the barn.

___

Engl looked behind her and paled. She set the painting in the boat, covered it and jumped in dragging him down and under the shadow of the dock treading water beside him her cheeks puffed out as she held her breath. From S

her belt she drew her dagger, looking up at the boards back to Tyne like she was going to protect him. She didn't know if he could protect himself, there wasn't much she knew about his kind except what she heard in stories. Soon though her lungs burned and it was high tide with no air under the dock. Her face turned blue after holding it for a minute and a half and in a flurry of bubbles, she fainted.

_____

Fyre came up right beside him. "You're safe, just stay with me." She swam a little further away to the reef.

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

Jacus made a quick movement up to grab a breath of air and then dove after her.

Embrye flinched when the cat hissed, recoiling faster then he thought was possible when he was scratched. He really didn't want to deal with the cat if it was going to hurt him but the promise he made was way to important and he literally just got to the point that his mind shut down again. That, and he started crying. He disliked crying. Not because it made him seem weak, no. It was because the tears refused to stop and it just become troublesome, which ended up frustrating him and then him crying more and then just giving up. It made him feel pretty useless honestly. I mean, he was a grown man, and he couldn't even deal with a cat! He kind of just ended up standing there, until something broke him from his thoughts.

Tyne was about to ask why she was asking like that, and tell her that he didn't need protection from a human, he could defend himself perfectly fine, when she fainted. And some part of his mind decided it would be a brilliant idea to bestow upon her the whole 'kiss of the merperson' thing. Face flushing red after, uh, kissing her, he decided not to dwell on it for now and that he didn't want to deal with her reaction if she woke up underwater because that might be a bit awkward for him and he had a feeling he'd swim away faster then you could say 'coral reef'.

He grabbed her somewhat carefully and swam to the surface, deciding that today would be another one of his 'let's make terrible decisions' days. Which was probably also a terrible decision. He hesitated, making sure to keep her above the surface- which wasn't really needed but, again, he didn't want to explain what he just did if she happened to wake up because she was really good at waking up quickly- and spotted the man. Great, because it meant he'd have help. If he didn't die first.

"Er... Hey! You! I need some help!" he shouted, hoping the man wasn't hostile and no one else was around. The man snapped out of his thoughts, by the looks of it, and turned to the sound, looking confused. Kind of. "Over here!" The man ran as fast as he dared over to where he heard the shout, quickly getting to the docks he didn't know were there before. Recognizing the woman, but not the man, Embrye knelt at the end and held out his arms. At that moment, an unspoken agreement was made to put aside any questions for now, and Tyne carefully placed her in the other man's outstretched arms, who carefully placed her beside him, out of the water. "How long was she...?" "A minute and a half maybe? If it helps, she can, um, breathe underwater." Embrye shot the merman a look of disbelief, and the merman's face quickly reddened as he explained. "Kiss of the merperson or something..." Embrye nodded in understanding, before turning to the woman and... Well, stared. That's when they realized their problem.

Neither of them knew how to do any of this.

Neither were faced with the threat of drowning usually, or treating others who were drowning. So they didn't know how. Well, Embrye knew CPR, kind of, but Tyne knew nothing. And Embrye could tell she was still breathing. So, with both of them feeling completely useless, they decided to ask the questions they had been waiting to ask.

"So... Who are you?" Embrye started. "I could ask you the same question, human." The merman spat the word out like venom, feeling a bit guilty when he flinched. "...However, to answer your question, I'm... Tyne." The human male managed a small, unsure smile. "Nice to meet you, Tyne! I'm Embrye." He shakily extended a hand. The merman eyed it warily. "...What are you doing?" "Uh? Oh, it's a handshake! ...You don't shake hands?" Tyne shook his head. "But I don't usually talk to anyone, so..." "Oh... Well, it's to greet someone!" The merman shot the human a confused look. "That seems useless." Embrye laughed sheepishly, scratching the back of his neck. The merman seemed so clueless. They both continued talking about random things and asking questions as they awaited for Engl to wake up.

The one thing neither dared to ask was their connection to the woman.

((Hopefully leaving you to explain whatever is okay...? I just know some basic stuff about merpeople. ^^'

Also, I have to admit that writing these two interacting is a lot of fun.))

Edited by seacatsmew

((🙌 Tyne kissed her! I've been wanting to break the ice of the merperson kiss xd.png... oh and typo, it's Tyne not the explorer guy. I got it but others might not. Most of the lore I have explained with Fyre, she's the one to ask. Read her posts too. but i might have forgotten to mention, the kiss isn't important, the breath of the merperson is... Soo...... it's a um.. kiss kiss..))

Engl's first instinct was to cough. When she took a breath, then realized her lungs weren't filled with water like they should have been and she was on land. She sat up in between the two boys rubbing her head as she opened her amber eyes for the first time since she woke.

She looked at Tyne confused, but pink cheeked realizing what he did to save her, then turned white at Embrye being there. She pushed him back reaching for her knife, which she dropped in the water, then put up her fists when she couldn't find it quickly. "I know what your grandfather did..... and I won't let you hurt my friend too. Tyne, swim away, his grandfather was the one who attacked you and gave you that horrible scar. I said I would try and protect you if i can and I am... " She turned her head to the side to address Tyne, shifting to a crouch. She turned back to Embrye, Amber eyes fiery and weary of him. "I won't let you touch my only friend...." She tensed watching him carefully.

((That was a terrible typo of me then oops fixed it. xd.png And that's what I was guessing, but I get really flustered at romance scenes and such so I kind of fell off my chair around that point.

I've been reading all the posts mostly, anyways. Gotta be prepared for everything.

...Also, Tyne keeps being pretty much set up for kissing her, so I figured 'WHY NOT' and finally made him do it.))

Both Embrye and Tyne stopped their conversation as soon as Engl coughed, all attention turned to her. As soon as her face turned pink, Tyne's turned completely red, because oh, apparently she knew. However, seeing her reaction at Embrye being there confused him to no end. What was going on? Embrye was just as confused, before she said that his grandfather was the one who gave the merman the scar. And suddenly, it all made sense to him. She thought he had come to finish the deed. Seeing Tyne slowly back away, Embrye's eyes widened and he scrambled for his knife, throwing it somewhere behind him and looking back to make sure no one was hurt before turning back towards them and raising his hands.

"Y-You misunderstand! I came to give him back his scales. And to tell him said grandfather is dead. B-But the cat- The ca-" He couldn't help it, he started bawling his eyes out. Tyne was completely confused, because why was a human crying over a cat and if he was telling the truth, then why? ...And then he realized that, if Engl knew all of this, she didn't tell him sooner. She had withheld information that could have possibly killed him. As soon as he realized that, something in his mind shut off. "He helped me save you, and this is how you repay him?" No. Please don't. Not again. He could see what was happening, and cry out, but he couldn't stop himself. It was happening all over again, and this time, he'd end up hurting someone else. "Why do I even bother with you humans? ...Why do I even bother with anyone?" Oh no oh no oh no, PLEASE STOP. I don't want to hurt anyone. But his body refused to respond the way he wanted it to.

...Well, at least, until he regained some control and dug his nails into his arm. Which hurt enough that he could snap back to control, and instead of being all moody and terrible, pout. And then mutter 'sorry' multiple times, followed up by ignoring what Engl said which was going to cost him later, and instead swimming over to Embrye. "Stop. Crying. Just. Stop. How do people even deal with this." No response from the explorer. "Or continue crying because of a cat. Yes, that's totally a better idea," he sarcastically remarked, rolling his eyes. "B-But it took t-the pouch!" "Oh? Now you're responding? Then go get it back. It's a cat. Bribe it with fish or something." "B-But-" "No buts. Go get the pouch back." He nodded, wiping away the few tears that remained, and stood up, turning to go find the cat and get the pouch back.

And as he did that, Tyne turned back to Engl. "Ignore my mood swings. Wait, nope, I'm still mad at you." He caught himself and turned his head away, puffing out his cheeks and crossing his arms.

((I was going to have him all suddenly snappish, but I prefer childish Tyne. So, instead, you'll have to deal with a grown merman acting like a little kid.))

Engl was stunned by this. She leaned back to her rump once again looking at Tyne then dropped her head her voice dead and emotionless. "I thought if I told you, you would leave me like everyone else dose. The last few days I had more fun then I had in the ten years since my dad died of the fever. I......... didn't tell him anything about you. He asked me where I went, and I told him crabbing or fishing or lighthouse stuff.... I don't... like to lie to people, my dad got mad at me when I did." She choked on a sob, swallowing it down so it twisted into a whimper, trying not to cry. "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry for not telling you! I-it's just... your the first f-friend I had in a decade.... ..i-i don't want to lose that. Please... f-forgive me Tyne....I'm sorry..." She sniffed, but still no tears fell. Typical that a girl cries, and she wasn't like other girls. Her eyes shut tight with the effort of not letting a single salty drop fall onto the deck.

The cat lounges near the front of the barn the bag under his paw as he cleaned himself.

Tyne was about to respond with one of his terrible remarks when he heard her sniffle. "Engl, not you too. How does anyone even deal with crying. Argh. I won't leave you, so stop crying, seriously, I don't know how to deal with it. If you would have told me, though, or even just asked the man why he wanted to see me, then this could have been avoided. Probably. Maybe. I don't know. Either way, you can't change the past or whatever, and nor can you change the fact that I suck at comforting people. Especially crying people." Okay, so, she wasn't completely crying, but still. Was everyone going to cry today? Yes? No? He honestly hoped not.

He cautiously swam up to her and raised his hand, placing it on her cheek. Instantly, the difference between their temperatures hit him. While he was cold- being in the ocean all the time did that- she was actually warm. At least, compared to him. He realized he was getting saltwater on her cheek, but didn't move his hand, instead searching her face for a sign to move away or... Something. He wasn't sure what to do now. So, instead, he began to hum a melody he had heard someone sing once.

And while Tyne tried to comfort Engl somehow, Embrye approached the cat to attempt to get his pouch back. Again. "Hello again. I've come to try and retrieve the pouch again. I don't see why you even want it, it's not all that great." He paused. "...I really just need what's inside it. You can have the pouch itself if you'd like, as long as I can get what's in it first," he offered. He still felt a bit weird, talking to a cat, but it was better then talking to himself. And maybe it actually understood him. ...He hoped it did, and that it'd give him back the pouch. He really didn't like being mean to animals, and he really should have brought a fish or something for it.

((The song Tyne's humming, in case anyone is actually wondering, is Lavender's Blue.))

Engl took his hand from her cheek lightly before rubbing her eyes with one hand, holding his hand with the other. "If you really want me to cry, keep humming. My dad sang that song to me before I went to sleep when I was little. It's been a while since I heard it. You keep better tune then my dad did though." She held his hand tightly. "I... should have told you. But... I'm no better with people then you are. I've been alone..... I did what I thought was right. I'm sorry."

The cat... had fallen asleep and rolled over on his back away from the pouch.

(Don't know what else to put.. yes yes I know!)

Fyre moved slowly, her tail movement was like a cat's grace under water. The gray sandy bottom perforated by rays of sunshine broke away to a world of activity and color. They reached the reef. Tropical fish swam around the coral, colors vibrant and brighter under the sea out shone the finest silks on land. She turned to him and waved to the reef watching his look.