AroaraAngelwolf

By the ocean blue...

Teya moved away from the human as far as her trapped tail could allow her. She wanted flinching when he touched her tail. She surfaced when he did, her voice was quite and soft. "T-thank you..... are.... are you hurt?...." She sank below the water again, only her violet eyes above, still frightened, but now confused as why he helped her.

---

((Merpeople and sirens can talk underwater it's the same as talking above water, humans it's garbled.. it's part of the magic they have.))

Engl was startled by his smile, and blushed, glad for the filtered light throwing shadows on her face. She shook her head pointed to the painting, then the skeleton, holding up her hand and tapping her ring finger. It was a, 'No, he was her husband' then waved to him and her pointing up. 'We go up.' She swam out the back window, careful of the glass, then knocked out some longer bits for him to get though, before swimming up. She sat on a rock, and took out the bamboo snorkel shaking out the water in it waiting for Tyne to surface so she can explain to him about the ship.

Nate looked away to the side, avoiding her purple gaze peeking over from just above the waves. "It's nothing." The scratches on his shins stung in the salt water and had bled a little, but he shrugged it off. He could fix himself up when he returned home, where he kept his medical supplies. Injuries in the water were not uncommon for him (only when sharks smelled the blood, he mused, did things get a little more difficult). But right now, he was glad that she was alright. He still felt -- like a phantom feeling -- the smooth texture of her tail fin between his fingers and how she shrunk away from his touch; there was nothing like it on land.

"Why are you still here?" he suddenly spoke up, expecting her to flee right away. "I thought most merpeople were afraid of humans."

She turned her head a little looking at the horizon behind him, her eyes turned from lilac violet to a silvery shine in the sun. "Yes... we are afraid of your kind because you attack us, even our men get attacked when sirens are only female.... " Her voice was still soft, yet musical, like hearing a harp if it had a voice. "But, ....... you could have.... you could have hurt me but you didn't.... and.." She looked at his legs and the slight red tendrils that curled around them. "It isn't good to bleed by the drop off, there are worse things then sharks in the Deep..... um..... speaking of sharks...." She pointed at a fin that was coming from deep sea quickly.

She took a deep breath and put her fingers in her mouth going under, even then a garbled shrill sound could be heard if the waves dipped just right. She moved to the side and came up. "Grab on her fin sharks don't like dolphins.... " at the moment a grey dolphin nudged him and swam around him wanting rp play, then nudged he mermaid with a whistle sound. "No no Sese, no play... let the human ride on your fin."

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

((Mmkay, wasn't completely sure about it. ^^))

Tyne nodded at her explanation of sorts. He watched her swim out, a bit grateful that she knocked enough glass out that he could swim, and followed after one last glance around the ship. He swam after her, surfacing nearby. He swam a bit closer to her and the rock, before stopping. He might regret it later, but... He couldn't help it; He trusted her, more then he had ever trusted a human. Which wasn't really a lot, even before the 'accident', but still. It was a dangerous thing, and if this was a trap, then he was doomed. And he honestly had given up caring. Either way, he had a few more questions to ask her now. ...Eventually, when he felt like it.

((I would have made it longer, but I'm a bit tired. Sorry.))

Engl tucked the pin in her shirt before talking. "Elizabeth married a wealthy man and had three sons and a doughter. She had her house built on the cliff, with her own design so she could see her husband's ship - which was named after her- come sailing into Port, for he would have to pass this cliff. On a night like last night, she woke when she heard a crack, and ran out in the rain to see the ship be flung on the rocks, snap and sink with her sons and husband on board.

Distraught, she had the house carefully torn down and rebuilt that lighthouse with every rock and window from the original home. Elizabeth was my great grandmother and the first keeper.

My dad liked to invent things, so when he made this.." She waved the bamboo snorkel. "His mother - Elizabeth's daughter - found the ship and was able to recover the bodies of her brothers and give them proper death rights. But when she saw her father, she couldn't bear to move him or the painting, so every one or two years she'd go down with my dad and clean up the painting. My dad took me down...... and it isn't good to go alone.... traditionally, we would take a single "gift" from the box so when we look at it, we'd remember the reason why we keep the light house..... but" she coughed nervously. "I knew your kind liked shinny things so I thought a peace offering from my ancestors would be nice.... the mermaid pin was made because my great grandfather thought Elizabeth was a mermaid because she was swimming so easily, and she was so beautiful when they first met."

She fiddled with the straps on her fins as her voice grew quite.

Tyne nodded, understanding why she wanted to go to that specific boat now. No, why she wanted to go to Elizabeth Starr. It had a name, and it deserved to be called it. "Again, thank you," he said quietly. "...By the way, I meant to say this before, but I didn't get the chance to." He allowed a small smile to appear. "...If I cut my hair, then it'd just be purple. Absolutely nothing special about it at all. Minus the fact it's purple. And either way, your hair might not be as interesting as mine, but you, yourself, are more interesting then my hair would ever be." He paused. "Or any hair, really." He swam up to the rock she was on and leaned against it, studying her with a careful gaze, and was, well, breathless, because clearly, beauty ran in the family. He let out a soft hum- he was humming a lot lately around her, he noticed- and decided to ask a question he probably already knew the answer to, but he wanted to see if he was correct. "Hey... Are you married at all or anything?" he asked, curiosity visible in his features.

Jacus stopped when he heard the female voice question him. He turned to the siren and sighed, "It seems I'm drawing bad luck to me day by day..." He turned to look down at the siren, "Your sister seems to be doing nothing new from what she usually does. Keeping us alive. You must be one of the "bad" sirens I've been told about... unless of course you want to tell me otherwise." He crossed his arms and waited curious how the siren would interact with him since he was out of the water and safe.

Engl looked away, trying to hide the blush creeping across her nose and cheeks, all the way to her ears from what he said. At his question she turned more crimson, mostly from embarrassment and shook her head so vigorously, her lank hair whipped around. Engl hugged her knees and looked at the deep water her face fading back to its normal fairness. Her voice was quite. "No proper man wants to be smitten with one who they think is a harlot...... I live alone and tend to wounded sailors since I was ten..... But human men are human men and don't even bother asking if the rumors are true or not. That's why I think they're all brutes...... And why I don't join the other maidens chasing after young lads.... besides.... I have a job to do. I get the men back home safe and sound.... they should respect that..... but... they don't......" She sighed heavily.

'It's really easy to make her blush... Cute~' Tyne thought. He had given up trying not to think of the human as cute. Or of thinking about her at all. He wasn't sure why, but he couldn't help it, so what use was trying to? As soon as she spoke, though, he snapped to attention, violet eyes focusing on her own amber eyes once again. "...Well, that's a shame. That they don't respect your work, that is. It's a hard job, and important. Just how many of their family has been saved thanks to the keepers of the lighthouses?" The merman shook his head, frowning. "You're an interesting person. Pretty, too. And nice. If they actually tried to talk to you, and see if the rumors are true or not, then they'd notice that." He let out a huff, splashing with his tail. "...But I'm not really one to talk, am I? I automatically assume the worst about every human, after all. Still don't fully trust you. ...Trust you more then I trust most, though..."

It was a sad story, where sirens were the ultimate villain. If they didn't exist, then maybe humans and merpeople could live in peace. Nate scoffed at the thought; even humans had a hard time getting along with other humans, much less an entirely different species. Their meeting today was purely by chance; something never meant to be. Nate was convinced he could swim back to shore on his own, but he wanted to see her leave safely first.

Except, she didn't. She was worried about his minor wounds, even though sticking around him was bound to attract sharks. His body tensed when he saw the fin, ready to kick off, his blue eyes flickering to urge the mermaid to save herself. She let out a sharp whistle, garbled by the water.

Another fin approached, this one less rough than the other, and Nate felt something gentle bump against his side. Part of him wanted to refuse the offer, and say no, he could take care of himself, but she looked as if she wanted some way to repay his kindness. He put an arm around the playful dolphin's back, fascinated but unsure of himself as he gently grabbed its fin.

"Thank you," he could only say, looking at the mermaid and patting her dolphin's flank.

~~~

Selena narrowed her eyes, her pupils slits in her amber irises, though she seem satisfied with the seafarer's answer. It was just like her sister to play around with humans on the beach as if she thought she could grow legs by being around them. "Call us bad," she snickered. The siren, during her two hundred years of life, was indifferent to the fact that humans considered the actions of their race 'evil'. She almost took pleasure in the label. "We are evil by nature, and by the nature of our abilities. The mere act of singing makes us irresistible to human men like you, which in turn makes my kind the bane of sailors. My ancient songs can lure you into the ocean to drown or be devoted by sharks, or I can end your life with a single kiss." The corner of her lips lifted in a smirk, exposing her fangs. "Wouldn't be the first time I've done it.

"How does it feel to be so close to something you hate?" her voice seethed out of her mouth in a raspy whisper, stripped of her seductive act. "I don't know about you, but it makes my blood boil, when I see humans having a good time."

Engl was quite for a little while before blurting the question that was nagging at her ever since she met a siren or merperson. "Can I touch your tail?" She froze then blushed waved her hands frantically, fanning herself with them. "I-I-I understand if y-you wouldn't want me to... it j-just I-I-I always wondered i-if your k-kind's tails are r-r-really as smooth as fish s-scales........ I'm- I'm sorry... I sh-shouldn't have a-asked....."

----------!-------------

"Hold tight.. Sese.. follow.." She dove under, the dolphin following, although the small mermaid swam fast, the dolphin followed her closely, making sure it's fin stayed above the water. The Teya swam close to the boats, but stayed deep, her blue scales and hair provided camouflage, the dolphin stopped several feet away from the humans so the boy can swim back. Teya was already swimming away from the people watching the shark circle around not to far from where they where.

Teya hated bullies.... and sharks where bullies. Her colorful tail briefly broke the surface just as the fin was gone. A short moment later, in a flurry of froth and foam, the shark sprang up snapping its jaws around.... nothing. It hit the water to the side just as something blue hit it's nose, the scene nearly covered by the wall of water the shark made on it's fall, and it took off back to deep sea. Teya wasn't there, or at least... couldn't be seen.

Sese bucked the boy off lightly and nudged him to the dock chattering away like he could understand her.

Jacus frowned, "I do not hate your kind. I hate your actions." He sighed. He knew this siren was not anything like Fyre, though curiousity ate at him for why she would bother to talk to him. "I don't think I will understand the way of sirens live or think... But I will continue to respect your bounds... But what do I know? To you, I'm a dumb human who only knows sailing and fishing." He smiled to himself, with his luck, anything could happen.

Tyne blinked, obviously surprised by the sudden question. He swam so that his tail was in front of her, and flipped onto his back so her could watch her. "It's fine. Feel free to. Just be careful with my fin, if you're touching it, too. ...I don't mind." That was kind of a lie, because it bothered him a bit, but as long as he could see what she was doing, he should be okay. He watched her with wary yet curious eyes. "...My tail isn't as colorful as most, sorry. And the fin isn't as long, or as pretty, and... I'm rambling." He looked away, hiding a light blush due to his embarrassment at rambling on about his tail, of all things, before he looked back, because blush or no blush, he knew that having someone touch his tail when he wasn't looking would probably end with a tail to the head, and he didn't feel like being responsible for injuring her. ...Judging by how hot his face felt, though, the blush was still there. And knowing that she'd be able to see it made it strengthen. He decided to try and ignore it, though, and watch her instead.

((He's really sensitive about how his tail is just silver and black and white, unlike others who have colorful tails with long and pretty fins. I'm just gonna say that now.))

Engl didn't notice his blushed, instead she was focused on his tail but hesitated before sliding two light fingers down from what would have been his knee to his fin. "I think it's pretty... the colorful tails look garish and gaudy, but this reminds me of the little silver fish that swim around the boats.... long fins create drag... .." She lightly held the fin between two fingers and her thumb letting it slide out of her fingers. "It's almost like silk and gossamer.... but... I never felt anything like it on land..." She pulled her hand away rubbing her fingers together with the subtitle phantom feeling that his scales and fin gave her, amazement was clear on her face... until her stomach grumbled and she blushed. "Oh.. I'm what do you eat? The siren said it depends on the merperson and such. She avoids shellfish, but eats cooked eels and small fish on the reef.....She told me some eat only algae and seaweed.... but what do you have?... maybe I can... get us both something to eat... "

((Been sort of busy. Have some shorter posts so I don't hold you up for days.))

"You are quite the dumb human, human." Selena sneered. "I just threatened to kill you in three different ways, and it just goes right through your air-filled head. Maybe if your kind were more cunning, and respected the dangers of the sea… If you respected our bounds, maybe there would be no seafaring humans at all in this world." She shook her head. "Why am I still talking to you? You don't know anything about my sister or her whereabouts. I bid thee farewell." With a splash, the Siren let herself fall back into the water. What a waste of time. He could come after her if he wished, but there was nothing left for her here except maybe wait for the lighthouse girl to return -- although she had never gotten any information out of that girl in the past.

~~~~~

Nate had never ridden a dolphin before, but it was probably something Merpeople would do all the time. The gentle creatures -- when they chose to be gentle -- were like puppies of the sea. He raced over the water's surface, the wind and water spray cooling his skin and face. In front was the glittering blue-tinted form of the mermaid and her tail, and when he glanced behind him, the shark's fin still seemed to follow.

He wanted to do something, but what could he do? He could only swim, it wasn't like he could go and punch a shark. He reached his arm out, as if trying to tell her to come back, to not risk her life for his, but his worries were put away when, against all odds, the mermaid made the shark run away.

It's too bad (or was it a good thing?) the men at the docks wouldn't have seen that through the large splashes the short fight caused. He himself better hurry off, before they started questioning how he managed to charm a dolphin. "Uh… thanks Sese. Keep her safe," he told the dolphin, rubbing its forehead, before it nudged itself back into the water.

Nate ran back to his home right away, bright red blood drops already beginning to appear on his cuts now that they weren't washed away by the currents. He had heard stories of people getting nasty infections from getting wounded by coral, and to be safe he rinsed his wounds with fresh water and vinegar before applying some ointment and wrapping them in white bandages. His mother always got overly worried when he injured himself in the water, asking him to please, stop going out there.

But it was what he liked to do, and when he stepped back out, having changed into a dry set of clothes, he could only stare sadly at the waves as he sat on the sand, looking out to the ocean and wondering how many merpeople were left in the world.

Jacus stood still as the siren left, and sudden burst out laughing. The random seafolk popping up, the siren calling him dumb, he couldn't take it anymore. Maybe it was his ego, but he was not scared of danger. She said he should be more cunning, HA! Clearing she had not met Jacus Von Fang! Taking a seat on a nearby rock, he decided to sing his own version of a song, "Oh what do you do with a drunken Siren?"

Tyne watched as her delicate-looking hand slid down his tail, quietly listening to what she said about it. He had never thought about it that way before. His eyes drifted to her face as she released his tail, smiling slightly at her expression... Until her stomach growled. He chuckled, but when she mentioned eels, his expression turned to distaste. "Eels are a no. Don't like eels, not one bit." He shuddered, shaking his head fiercely. He turned his gaze back to Engl after a moment, adopting a thoughtful look. Letting out a soft hum, he replied after a few seconds. "...I normally eat seaweed, salmon, squid, octopus, algae... Clams and oysters aren't bad either. Neither is crab. Er, I'm not all that picky. Sometimes. As long as it isn't eel. Or shark. I like sharks. Don't like eating them though. Never have." He nodded, pleased with his list of things he eats, and stretched. ...Which had the downside of somehow managing to flip him over onto his stomach and cause him to pretty much sink. He let out a cry of surprise, and emerged moments later, only to hear a faint song. He blinked, tilting his head to figure out who was singing it and what song it was.

Embrye honestly needed to learn how to follow people and not get to a completely different spot on the... Wherever he was. He had seen something interesting, and walked towards it, and then found more things, and now he had no idea where he was. It seemed like he was near a lighthouse of some sort, and someone was... Singing? Curious, he began seeking out the source of the singing, only to spin a bit too fast and lose his balance, falling over. He let out a groan and sat up, examining himself for any injuries, but minus scratches, he seemed to be fine. He smiled, because just a few scratches was a good thing!

Edited by seacatsmew

((No trouble mage we all get busy. And it's not a island... think of it as old England or something like that, it's big though...))

Engl nodded and perked up at the song, then laughed. "I know this one! I'll fix up something.. I have crab traps at the dock... I'll check them and roast any over a fire.. " She said before bursting into the song and clapping her hands, although she didn't know his version so she sang the one she knew. After the song she jumped over him into the water and swam back to her deck, pulling yo crab traps and throwing the little ones back, keeping the largest males, flipping them over and stabbing her knife in the crack in the bells to kill them before she cooked them.

--!---------

Teya had watched the shark leave, and sese head back to her pod. She looked at the dock just in the to see the boy run home. She took his example and headed to the drop off, then down into the murk and dark blue, until she reached a cave with glowing algae and other luminous sea life. Once there she greeted her mother who lay on a soft bed of algae, moss, and seaweed telling her about her day.

((Oops. Edited it. ^^'))

Tyne nodded, and watched her with wide eyes when she started clapping along and singing, looking at her in complete bewilderment. He watched her leave, then shook his head in an attempt to clear it. He pulled himself onto the rock, knowing that waiting for Engl would probably be better then diving down somewhere, because he had no idea how long she'd take. He closed his eyes with a light sigh, letting his mind drift. ...He wanted to pay her back for the bracelet in some way, but how? He could always give her a bunch of random trinkets, but he felt that it wouldn't be the best idea. A bracelet would work, maybe, but giving her anything he found at the bottom of the sea didn't seem like such a good idea, given how rusty and damaged they normally got. ...However, he now had an idea. Not necessarily a good one, and definitely not an easy or quick one, but still an idea.

Jacus stopped when he heard the sound of someone falling over. He turned to Embrye and chuckled, "Hey kid, you okay over there? The some of the rocks are sharp so you should be careful." He got up and walked over, offering his hand to pull up the boy. "Need assistance?"

Engl built a fire and roasted the crabs. She came up with two for Jacus and saw the other man. "A-Afternoon.... I have l-lunch for you and I can come up with the medical b-bag for you.." She set the crabs down and went to her boat, bringing up the bag then left them be.. placing the rest of the crabs in the boat and rowed out, expertly navigating the rocks and met up with Tyne, dropping her little anchor. "Lunch! "She handed him a roasted crab that the bottom was carefully pulled off, so he could eat it easier.

Embrye blinked up at the man. "Oh, I'm fine. Thank you!" he said with a smile, taking his hand and pulling himself up. He brushed some dirt off of himself with a light, upbeat hum, and straightened himself, about to ask the man for his name and if he was the one who was singing, when a woman appeared. He blinked again, before smiling. "Thank you, miss!" he said cheerfully before she left, then turned to the man who helped him up. "Are you the one who was singing? And if you don't mind me asking, what's your name?" he asked. "I'm Embrye!" He fell silent, waiting for the man to answer his questions.

Tyne's eyes snapped open. "Hmm? Oh, right. Thanks," he said, carefully taking it from her. His eyes glazed over as he ate, deep in thought yet again. It happened every time he started thinking- His mind would wander, and he'd drift into daydream land. He decided that, in an attempt to keep his mind in the present, he'd ask Engl a few of the questions he wanted to. "So... Your father made the... Feet... Thingies? And the bamboo mouth thing? ...What do you call those, anyways?" he inquired once his mouth was empty, his gaze focusing on her again.

Jacus smiled as he took a crab, "The name is Captain Jacus Von Fang. And yes, I was the one singing. A siren came up to me calling me dumb, so I decided to sing back calling her drunk. It's life I guess... I don't understand their kind... shame they hate sharing the ocean with humans... I love the ocean blue."

Engl nodded. "My dad called the mouth piece a breather... but I like to call it snorkel... that's the sound it makes when I breath and it makes the bubbles... a I call the feet things flippers. They help me swim faster in one breath, and the snorkel helps me breath underwater. My dad liked to invent things... I like to draw and paint."