AroaraAngelwolf

By the ocean blue...

Both men look at each other. "Her name is The red sea II and been out of her dry dock for....." the other scratches his head. "Fourteen years now? We're fairly new crew..we were never told her age" they started loading up the barrels when the gang plank was lowered, taking the "siren" in first before loading up the rest.

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

Tyne flashed her a grin that clearly said he wasn't promising anything, then turned and slowly pulled himself farther into the water so he could swim a bit more properly. He circled her just beneath the surface, before stopping to her right and surfacing. He stared at her for a few second before speaking. "...Well, if I drown you, then what use would saving you yesterday have been? I suppose you're safe for now," he said with a smirk, before diving down somewhere beneath her. He stayed there, staring up at her from below, simply observing. His distrust of humans flicked across his mind again, and he hesitated, before shaking his head in an attempt to clear it. She was different. ...He hoped.

Embrye wasn't exact sure how he was there. One moment, he was in his little rowboat, and the next, he was being pulled away from what was his rowboat. Now, it was just wood. And a paddle. He wasn't completely sure how he survived, and nor did he honestly care much. These strangers seemed nice, though that was what he thought of everyone. Plus, he didn't exactly know where he was. ...Which was normally the case. Either way, it couldn't be too bad! It was somewhere he had never been before, and that meant he could explore! That is, until he realized he had nothing but the clothes on his back and a knife that was always with him. But at least he had something to protect himself with!

((The best(and only) intro I could think of for Embrye currently.))

"True... hey where'd you go?" She dove under and swam up to him. She seemed entranced by his hair, the way it turned rich blue-violet, to a royal blue to a yellowish white, and the way it swirled around in the water made her own honey coloured hair look dull and lifeless. She touched a strand with her fingertips lightly, bubbles forming around her mouth in awe before she was quickly swimming up for air that was much needed. Engl treaded water catching her breath again.

Jacus laughed, "Red Sea II? I guess the first one is now at rest. I wish you both luck in sailing her. I hope she lasts longer than her sister... or mother... however ships are related. He took the barrel with Fyre and rolled it onto a cart. Renting a horse, he rode with Fyre to a place safely out of view but by the ocean. When he was sure he was in a safe place. He rolled the barrel into the water and popped the lid letting her free. "Ocean Hoo!"

Fyre shot out of there barrel faster then a hare to its hole with a fox on it's heels. She was half way out before swimming back to thank whoever saved her and smiled when she saw it was Jacus. "We have to stop meeting like this... but I thank you again. That was awful being placed in a barrel...." She twisted around and popped some bones back into place.

"I am indebted to you now, dragging me out to sea is one thing, but a captain who wants a siren is never a good one... " She came up close while still being in the sea and pulled out a black scale that was silvery on the back. She took his hand and pressed the thin, but hard scale into it. "If you find yourself at sea, either lonesome or in danger, press this to your lips, it is part of my magic and would call me to you three times before the spell wears off. Not many sirens give their scales for this reason... you must keep it close and out of sight. Sailors who think you are under a siren's spell would try to kill you or take it away, and my sisters, few we are, will try and kill me for being indebted to a human in the first place....keep it hidden, and keep it close."

As soon as Engl moved her hand to touch his hair, Tyne flinched. However, it didn't seem like she noticed, considering moments later, she was swimming up to catch her breath. With a light chuckle that came out as more bubbles then anything, he swam up to meet her at the surface. "I'd prefer if you didn't drown yourself after I saved you, either," he said, brushing wet locks out of his face so he could see her better. "Especially not because of my hair. Your hair is pretty." He paused, before realizing what he said. "In human standards, that is," he quickly added, looking away in an attempt to hide the slight pink on his cheeks. "Not that I mind it or anything. It's... Okay I guess. Er." Well, he was just wonderful at this. At least his voice didn't waver. ...Much. He turned to face her once again. "Well, clearly, I am amazing at giving compliments," Tyne grumbled sarcastically. "Absolutely fantastic at it."

Edited by seacatsmew

Jacus held the scale up to the sun and admired the glow, "What can I say, I'm a sucker for saving damsels in distress. But your welcome I will cherish it. I also wanted to give you something." He pulled out the pearl she gave him, but it was in a sealed glass pendant with a metal chain necklace. "The seal has no air so it won't float up underwater. The metal also won't rust. I just thought you could keep something so you won't forget me when I die. I would hate think of my name being forgotten."

It was a rough night, yesterday. Nathan Lebanc spent it staring at the wooden ceiling of the attic of the little shop they owned, listening to the drumming of rain on the roof and feeling the wind threaten to blow the house away. At least it struck during the night, when local fishermen like his father were busy sleeping. The sea was an unpredictable creature, docile one moment, man-eating the next. He was sad, however, that he wasn't able to take an evening dip under the moonlight. Water was nice, but not when it was falling in torrents from the sky. Sometimes on nice nights the wind ceased to howl and Sirens were quiet, letting him swim in peace.

At the crack of dawn, he climbed up to inspect the damages on his seaside home, climbing onto the roof to nail down the dozen shingles that had been torn away by the gales. From his vantage point he could see the sailors and pirates patching up their homes -- some of the ships had it worse than others; even his dad's crew's ship wasn't spared the wrath of the sea and sky. Some were completely demolished, though with relief in his heart he squinted and spotted the sails of The Snapping Gull still upright, although quite a few men were trying to reel the small boat in. Nate slid back down, landing lightly on the battered ground with the sandals on his feet, and ran towards the docks to offer his help.

"Mornin' Nate!" shouted one of the older fishermen as he approached. Nathan waved his hello, a small smile playing on his lips as the older man continued, "That was one doozy of a storm last night. Glad our ship held strong, compared to some unlucky folks out there…"

"Aye, she's a strong one, Rupert," Nate answered. Rupert was a good friend of his dad's, even if they didn't go sailing as often as they used to. "Dad's still sleeping. I didn't want to wake him up since it's not his shift today, but I'm sure he'll be glad that his ship and crew are alright."

"You've got the day off as well, lad," replied the sailor. "We've got this situation under control." He motioned to the men tying down the fishing boat who were just finishing up. "Like I said, we were lucky!"

Nate nodded. "Thank you," he said, before jumping off the dock and diving into the water.

The cold impact shocked him awake. He still had his linen short-sleeved shirt on, with the front unbuttoned and exposing his chest as the fabric flowed with the water. His sandals were strapped firmly to his feet although he wanted to find some place to stash them, but his swimming shorts were like a second skin to him as he used his legs to push him through the water. With a few more powerful kicks, he surfaced to take a breath, shaking his back hair out of his eyes and scattering shining water drops through the air.

He was far enough away from the commotion on the docks. Nate had travelled to a place where coral shone in brilliant colors under him and small fish darted around among it. Nature wasn't affected by the storm. The things in the water seemed eternal if people left them alone. Nate spread his arms and legs out, letting the waves float and rock him while the sea birds shouted above in the clear skies.

~~~~

Selena lashed her fins in the water. Only her eyes and the top of her head were above the water, and she stared at the town and the lighthouse as if she could destroy it with her gaze alone. Sometimes, there was no siren she hated more than Fyre, who annoyed her to no end. Did she think she was funny, interfering with the fun her actual, sensible sisters had? The day that awful redhead would be captured by humans and turned into human food would be a day worth celebrating.

She herself rarely went too close to the coast, and when she did, it was to cause trouble to the one siren who was no more than a human's pet at the foot of the lighthouse. But, Selena had to admire her courage to get close to these tail-less creatures who were nothing but bad news. Though, today was a good day to explore -- the land-dwellers were busy recovering from the storm which had barely fazed Selena's underwater home and would scarcely notice a siren's approach. That traitor Fyre had to be here somewhere.

Still, she kept her distance from the ships out of basic fear and wariness towards the humans who outnumbered her many to one.

((Ohhh! Good start mage *applauds*))

Engl looked down at the lank strands of her hair. "Still..... it isn't as interesting as yours..." She said in a low unhappy tone. She turned and dove under trying to swim imitating the merman, but didn't get as far. She switched to her normal way of swimming, kicking her legs and moving her arms, propelling herself further to the ocean. She was above a broken top mast of a ship before she came up for air.

--------

Fyre was entranced by the necklace, as she carefully took it from him and held it in the light. What snapped her out of her "shinny" trance was him saying he was worried about her forgetting his name. She laughed and came up closer "standing" on her tail so her aquamarine colored eyes were level with his, a smirk on her lips. "Don't you know? Sirens never forget the name of a ship or a sailor, just like we never forget a song.... " She slipped on the necklace and fixed her hair and leaned forward so her lips where at his ear whispering. "Until we meet again fair sailor..." She kissed his cheek softly in a blessing and good luck, before turning and heading back in the water...... her tail made a turret of water hit him... just so he knows not to get to full of himself.

------------

Teya watched the fish underwater, slowing down until only a flick of her side fins pushed her forward, arms to her side and tail still. She felt her back break the surface and she sun's rays warming her skin, but knew she was far enough away from humans so they wouldn't notice.

She giggled as she watched her shadow drift beneath her, swaying her head to make her blue hair dance in the light, subtle pinks and hues of violets flashed through the cyan colored locks, in some places so blue it rivaled the clear sky. Her tail was the same way, with pink tipped on some scales, her fins where the most colorful with purple tips and slowly growing lighter until it matched her hair color.

It wasn't until her head contacted another and she yanked back in pain did she realize..... Her shadow wasn't the only one on the coral. Her hair fell in such a way that it only showed a single, large lilac colored eye with long dark lashes and a pale blue thin eyebrow set in shock, then fear as she pushed backwards away from the human.

Jacus was too stunned from the sudden closeness and the kiss to even notice the water splash him. He just watched Fyre swim away before coming to. He laughed to himself, "Man oh man Jacus... your getting in a lot of trouble... I don't know what will kill me first..." With a shrug and a smile, he was about to head to town when he realized how close the lighthouse was. Since town was still in repair, he decided to visit the structure. He stood outside the door and looked around.

Fyre was in her cave at the base of the cliff softly singing in the echo of it. The lighthouse was tall, made of large chunks of bedrock making it slender, grey and almost haunted. Windows had thick panes and iron bars on every one. The door was sea foam green with a tarnished brass knocker in the shape of a.... well, a mermaid's tail. Below that was the resistances last name, Harrison. Three small green plates to the left of the door that used to be copper read...

Plate one: Built in loving memory of Elizabeth's husband and two sons who where killed on these rocks aboard the Elizabeth Starr, Named after Elizabeth herself. May they rest in peace."

Plate two: "May this house bring husbands, sons, and loved ones home safely to the waiting arms of their worrying women." -First keeper Elizabeth D. S. Harrison.

Plate three looked newer and was still copper, highly polished it read: Scarlet fever took many lives, including Jack Harrison, the grandson of Elizabeth, father of the last Harrison Engl Starr Harrison age 10.

beneath the words was hammered into the plate in small letters R.I.P. Daddy.

The house itself seemed empty.

Jacus pondered a moment before knocking. If no one answered, we would look around the lighthouse to see what the area was like. The entire he was whistling a upbeat sailing tune.

((Thanks! By the way Dotz, did you mean you can't see my image or…?

Nate had his eyes closed. The water covered his ears and blocked out the noise in the air. Everything seemed slower -- more leisurely -- beneath the waves. It gave him time to think about things and dream while he was awake. This was a nice spot. The waves didn't push one too far one way or the other, though even if they carried him far off-shore, Nate was confident in his own ability to swim. He was told he learned to swim before he even learned to walk. Being in the water just felt natural.

His thoughts were interrupted when he felt a strong impact on the top of his head. Nate's eyes snapped open and he flipped around, treading water and feeling with his hands for any rocks the surf might have brought him towards, but he was still far from the beach, and the sea was calm save for a flurry of splashes travelling away from him.

He thought he saw something else among the commotion. A form with locks of sky blue fading to pink and purple -- colors he had never seen on a human -- and scales of brilliant blues and violets rivalling the glitter of the water droplets she scattered in the sun.

Their eyes met for a brief moment and Nate's mouth was slightly agape. He rubbed his head sheepishly to soothe the ache. Was he just imagining things? Mermaids were not uncommon sightings, but they had more sense than that to say away from humans. And humans were told to stay away from mermaids, because sometimes it was hard to tell them apart from the dangerous sirens.

He kept his own distance from the mermaid, sinking into the water himself up to his nose. his bright blue eyes wordlessly asked her if she was alright, since the sentence were caught in his throat and he didn't want to spook her further.

Engl looked around and swam back to the dock to get something out of the boat when she heard the heavy knock. "Hello! Over by the cliff! C-can I help you?" She cupped her hands and shouted up. Then she turned to the flat bottom boat and lifted a hatch pulling out three things. One was bamboo shaped in a long J that her dad modified from the little straws oyster and mussel hunters use. The other looked like a bendy pair of bamboo frog feet, with canvas carefully tightened and sewn between the "toes". Her dad wanted to be a inventor, so he made things that would help them out around the lighthouse. These he called Frog feet, but she called them flippers, and they helped her swim faster, although they looked a little silly.

--------

Teya also sank in the water, her hands on her head wincing as she rubbed it gently. She looked scared, and curled up her tail to make herself look smaller, although she was already small, from head to tail she was about 5'2" with another half foot of just her floppy fin dangling behind her. She sank slowly under the surf till her tail tip almost touched the coral reef and she whipped around trying to swim away, but her long tender fin got caught in a sharp piece of coral and she winced when she tugged on it, not wanting to be so close to a human and look down to be vulnerable to him.

Jacus heard the call and made his way to the cliff. "Ahoy! Are the one maintaining the lighthouse?" He thought the girl sounded a bit young but shrugged it off, remembering the plates, this one has been through a lot. He waved to her with a smile.

Tyne watched the girl rather absentmindedly, somewhat lost in his thoughts. Which wasn't all that uncommon for him. Noticing she was now gone, he looked around in alarm, only to spot her a bit away. He let out a breath he didn't know he was holding, before diving down to hide himself, should the visitor look this way at all. His semi-trust only extended to the girl so far, so he'd just have to wait for her to return. He dove further down to see if there was anything shiny at the bottom while he waited. And to resume thinking.

((Don't want to do this without Seacat.... ill work around it a little))

Engl set the flippers down and looked at the water, if Tyne came up, she told him to stay down and that she'll be back... "lighthouse duties" said she had to greet anyone who came knocking if she heard it. She ran up the cliff steps, still soaking wet from her dip in the ocean. "Y-yes, I am sir..... W-what can I do for Y-you?" She bit the inside of her cheek lightly, dratted stutter made her sound weak minded, but she was as clever as her father and just as sea worthy as any old sailor, but her lack of human interaction made her mute most of the time, and stutter the rest.

((Hey! I called Seacat!!))

Jacus smiled, "Oh I'm just exploring the area. A lot of weird things going on around port, so this place seemed to be a change of pace." He gave a slight bow, "I am Captain Jacus Von Fang, my vessel came into port yesterday before the storm. I'm guessing you run the lighthouse?"

Engl nodded. "One and only.. G-glad your ship came to p-port before that nasty gallow......" She was startled by the bow, not really used to such gentlemen like treatment. The people in town and in the Port ((two different places look in settings if you don't remember)) would just huff and glare at her for working with a siren, and being a young unwed women who lived alone and tends to healing sailors. People need to get their minds out of the gunwales and turn to the horizon to think clearly without being sick minded. She can try to squash the rumors, but there will always be whispers. "Just exploring? Then you w-wouldn't mind if I still take my swim and make s-sure sirens aren't getting on the rock?"

Jacus blinked, "Oh, of course not... though it seems not all sirens here are bad... do you know about the red-headed one? I seems that she is not for that kind of chaos. Very unique that one." He laughed and sat on a rock.

Engl shrugged. "She likes to mess with her kin and punch s-sharks in the nose. Her cave isn't to far from here. O-over on the other side of the c-cliff. I'll be off. Fun exploring... " She ran down the steps and onto the deck, strapping the fins to her feet and placing the bamboo in her mouth she jumped in and swam down to Tyne, bubbles forming out her mouth but the two foot long J curved bamboo rod held enough air in it so she can be under for two minutes, possibly more for she can hold her breath for about a minute and a half. She waved to him and pointed at the sunken ship, it was the most rotten one, and on the damaged hull read Elizabeth Starr in faded gold paint.

Tyne raised an eyebrow at the odd contraptions, but said nothing. Instead, he nodded, and began swimming down towards the ship. He cautiously entered, then moved aside to wait for Engl. He'd save the questions for once they were above the surface again. ...He also had something to say afterwards, which he definitely wanted to see her reaction to. Preferably when she can speak without getting a mouthful of water and more bubbles then noise. A growl broke him from his thoughts, and he paused. "...Note to self: After this is done, get food before I starve," he muttered, quickly realizing his stomach was the source of it as it growled again. He shushed it, and, surprisingly enough, it listened. Though, that was probably just a coincidence. Probably.

Engl was going through the opening when she heard the growls and jumped, let out a large bubble from her mouth and looked around, before realizing... it was Tyne's belly. She looked at him eyes wrinkled in a silent laugh before turning inside and swimming in the ship. She lead him passed broken mirrors and rotting cargo to the other half of the ship, it was broken in half by the rock. In the back of the second half, the captain's cabin was propped up a rock and was surprisingly intact. The glasses where all broken and the floor had a hole in it but otherwise it was good.

Inside was a rich, but dull carpet, a large bed with algae and moss on the sheets. She went over to a gilded picture frame, one where a skeleton in tattered rags held its bony fingers on as if to save it from breaking. It in fact was saved, and she carefully rubbed off the grime and algae on the glass reveling a painting of a woman, with her honey brown hair done up in a tight bun and striking blue eyes and ivory skin.

The color of her dress was faded, but it looked navy blue with white lace on the caller. She had a brooch pin of a gilded mermaid with emerald eyes. Engl pulled out a necklace with the same mermaid pointing to herself and to the painting. She then swam over to a box and pulled out a shiny gold bracelet with little charms that was sea shells and sand dollars, starfish and real pearls in silver. She took Tyne's hand and clasped it around his wrist.

Why hadn't she swum away yet? He could still see her shape through the clear waters. Nate's expression turned from worry to confusion. The mermaid looked agitated and seemed as afraid of him as he was wary of her. And... there was no malice present in her. Her delicate features contorted with pain as she winced.

Figuring she might be unable to flee because of a wound, Nate took a deep breath and dove underwater to see what was wrong. Thankfully, it was no worse than her tail fin being stuck among the coral. With slow and careful movements, he untangled her as if dealing with a frightened animal, then backed away a little from her so she could see he meant to harm. Some of the coral and rocks below scraped his legs as he surfaced, but he hoped the scratches weren't too bad.

~~~~~

Selena heard the conversation happening along the beach. Not many people -- humans -- frequented the lighthouse, other than that little girl with whom her despicable sister sang with, and perhaps a few merpeople who were of no consequence.

Once the little lighthouse guardian left in a skittish rush, Selena swam up to the rugged looking pirate, her flowing orange fins trailing behind her almost like one of those flowing garments human women liked to wear. Putting her elbows on one of the rocks jutting into the ocean, her top half was exposed to the air while her fish body was safely in the water.

"There is only one redheaded troublemaker I know of," Selena said, her voice trailing and melodious but carrying a hint of a hiss. "And you are correct. She is unique for our kind." It was no use hiding the fact that she was a siren. The black marking on her left arm was a telltale sign. "Pray tell, what antics has she been up to?"

Edited by TehUltimateMage

Tyne smiled slightly at her reaction, then shrugged as if to say 'what can you do?' before following her. The ship was actually in pretty good shape, considering how long it had probably been down here, he noted as he looked around before realizing Engl was a bit farther ahead. Luckily, she wasn't too far, and he caught up pretty fast and followed her into the captain's quarters, keeping an eye out for anything or anyone that attempted to come near. Luckily, minus the odd fish, there didn't seem to be anything- or anyone- that approached them.

Seeing the skeleton and the painting, he blinked and swam beside Engl to see it better. He let out a soft hum as she cleared the debris off the glass, eyes scanning the woman so he might remember what she looked like. Seeing the live human move, his gaze turned to her, and he nodded in understanding at her gestures. He swam back a bit as she swam towards a box, and he watched with curiosity evident in his eyes. That is, until she took his hand. Immediately, he tensed up, scanning her face for any signs of malice intent. Finding none, he looked at the bracelet she had placed on him. He blinked in surprise, then looked at her once again. He smiled. Unlike his usual teasing smirks, or his faint, barely there smiles, it was an actual, genuine smile. 'Thank you,' he mouthed, before gesturing to the painting and then up, to symbolize the surface in a question; 'Would you like that brought up?'