AroaraAngelwolf

By the ocean blue...

The salt water was being to burn at his eyes as he swam to her. He looked around but then was distracted by the need for air. He swam up and drew another breath. He rubbed his eyes. "Damn salt..."

Embrye stood there, stunned. Was the cat seriously asleep? Well, that saved a lot of effort. He quietly crept over, grabbed the pouch, and took off as fast as he could before the cat woke up and attacked him again. Which ended with him tripping and getting multiple scratches from rocks, because he's a klutz, so he decided that walking the small distance left would be more appropriate. And safer. And a multitude of other things that the cheerful, childish man didn't really think about.

Tyne stopped his humming. "Well then, considering I'm terrible at dealing with crying people, human or not, I should probably stop. Also, really? I'm in tune? I've only heard it once though. A woman was singing it on a boat..." He trailed off, before realizing she had said something else. "...Er, anyways, it's fine. I don't want to see a pretty face like yours all sad, after all~" He winked with a smirk, attempting to lighten the mood. He'd apologize for kissing her later, though for some reason, he didn't want to.

Luckily, a somewhat familiar voice broke him from his thoughts. "Uh... Am I... Interrupting something? I-I guess I'll just come back after." Tyne couldn't help the small laugh that escaped his lips at Embrye's reaction, complete with a bright red face. "It's fine. You can come," he called back. The explorer nodded and slowly approached, still looking a bit flustered at what he may have just witnessed. "Uh, here." He tossed the pouch to the merman, who caught it with his free hand. Still only using one hand, he opened it and peeked in, before closing it with a nod. "Those would be them. Here, Engl, you can take them. They're useless to me anyways. Was still a nice gesture of you, Embrye." Embrye smiled brightly in response, glad he did something right for once, as the merman offered the woman the pouch.

((I don't know if merperson scales would be the same as siren scales, but either way, I don't think he knows.))

The salt water was being to burn at his eyes as he swam to her. He looked around but then was distracted by the need for air. He swam up and drew another breath. He rubbed his eyes. "Damn salt..."

((Reading sorry! No, sirens use magic, the only magic the merperson has is the kiss, and possibly the hidden ability to walk on land when dry, or in fresh water first. They have a bit more mobility..but can't be out of water for more than a week... and they can't walk well (like the siren from pirates of the Caribbean)... sirens don't, salt is in their blood, one out of their home they die.))

Fyre joined him. She bit her finger and drew a line under each of his eyes with her blood before the wound heald. "There, that should help keep your eyes from burning. And..." She dove down plucking a straw like smooth piece of coral, and brought it up into the air. "The girl at the lighthouse used something like this to help her breath underwater, you put it in your mouth and you can stay down for longer. Try it see if it works."

____

She flushed at his comment and let go of Tyne's hand when Embrye came up. "N-no.... you weren't...um..." She he looked startled at the bag. She took it gingerly and opened it pulling out a broken scale. She rubbed the smooth surface with her thumb thinking. She looked up at Embrye. "You said you were a explorer. There is a map maker in town who wants a willing person to check out the caves and tunnels beneath the town and the city port. She would pay you, and any interesting item of value you find would be yours. She has ways to make sure you're not lost in the tunnels...and after each explanation, she'll mark your path on a map.

I'll take you there tomorrow morning, I'm heading there anyway... I think I know what to do with these scales..." She measured the size of one against the charm she had on her wrist. From what she saw there was a single whole piece, and she had a plan for that.

Jacus blinked in surprise. "Oh, thank you Fyre..." He shook his head and took the straw, going back under. He looked around in awe as his vision was much clearer, the coral breathing tube acting as a snorkel. He went over to the reef.

Fyre was beside him, explaining what fish is what and lives where. She was showing him a manta Ray by the drop off when something came up from the dark and tackled Fyre with a screech that was deafening under water. The siren fought with Fyre shouting insults and scarring the schools of fish around them .

The siren accused her of ruining her sharks, and her wrecks. Fyre fought back, her tail thrashed any hit her, at one point she bit the black and white siren with her sharp teeth.

Jacus covered his ears from the screech and dropped his air tube. Watching the fight, he decided he needed to help. He same as fast as he could and wrapped his arm around the other siren's neck in an attempt to choke her/hold her head. He hoped this would buy Fyre enough time to do something before Jacus ran out of air.

Fyre flipped the whale woman on her back, keeping her from thrashing by wrapping around her. Soon she grew still. Fyre let go and had him let go as she flung the unconscious siren out far into deep ocean. It took a while though, and she turned to him to thank him for the help, then saw he didn't have the breathing tube with him. She rushed over and looked up, it would take to long to get up..... she'll try anyway. With a mighty switch of her tail she cut her fin on coral in her hurry and a few cuts and bites were on her. They soon where half way up to the surface.

Jacus coughed with the sudden movements, expelling any extra air he had. His vision blurred as Fyre pulled him up. He saw the light of the sun and reached up, even though he wasn't the one swimming up.

Fyre moved slower. She hurt and the water around them was tainted dark red, to dark for normal blood, she had ripped a good six inches of her fin off. Once more she thrashed, closing her side fins moving closer but still to far away from the surface. There was only one thing and she knew he wouldn't like it, but.. it was better then drowning. She kissed him so he could breath underwater. She still pushed him towards the surface and then floated there looking at her ripped tail and the bites over her body, she needed algae to cover the blood and stop it from flowing. She grew it in her cave, to far away for her to swim now. She floated to the surface slowly like a dead fish, wincing when the air bit at her wounds.

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

Jacus floated, fading in and out of conciousness. He than began to cough underwater, the mixture of air and water in his lungs made him cough until the water replaced the air. He felt odd as he drifted in the water looking up at the surface. "Is this what you felt father?"

Fyre twisted around so her face was in the water. "You're alive, a siren's kiss can help you breath underwater or kill you. You're fine... but.. I need help again, can you get me to my cave by the lighthouse? Please..."

Jacus took a moment to process this and shook his head trying to focused. Water felt weird in his lungs, but natural... he slowly moved his body and began to swim to her. He saw the blood and pressed his hand onto her largest wound. "Alright... tell me where to take you..."

"To the far side of the lighthouse.. but first out of the water, some monsters eat my kind from holding a grudge, they'll be drawn by this much blood...should have expected her teeth to be sharp... and my tail... " her torn tail was still bleeding, her worst wound was on her side, where a wide bite mark sat between her rib cage and tail, it looked like her sister tried to rip off a chunk, until Jacus once again helped her.

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

Jacus looked out and saw the black bottom of his boat in the water. "If we get you on my boat, we should be fine. Come on." With one hand holds hers around him and his hand wrapped around her waist, he began to swim to the boat, slowed by her weight though.

"Hopefully her methods will work, then! Thank you!" Embrye said cheerfully. Tyne watched the two of them for a few seconds, before suddenly diving underwater. Embrye blinked a few times, watching where the merman was, before shaking his head and quickly heading back to retrieve his knife before someone got hurt. He returned just as Tyne surfaced, the merman now holding Engl's knife. He placed it beside her, quickly backing away after he did so. He didn't want her to see that he had accidentally scratched himself on it when he was grabbing it, because it was only a small wound and he'd be fine. You don't live a hundred years without getting injuries, after all.

Embrye sat a few feet away from the other two, with his knife now back where it belonged. He was silent for a few moments, before realizing that he might not be welcome. Quietly, he stood back up and left the two, deciding that he'd... Well, probably get lost before he figured out what he was going to do.

Tyne watched Engl as she did... Something with his old scales. After a moment, he averted his gaze, because he was slowly becoming less inclined to watch what she was doing and more inclined to just stare at her face, and he didn't want to be caught doing that. So, instead, he stared at his tail as it moved, keeping him afloat. And oh great, he was thinking again. That never ended well. He decided that he should do... Something. Maybe. Probably. And so, he resumed staring at Engl.

Fyre moved her tail slowly without moving her fin to much to help him get up to his boat. The bleeding was stopping slowly, only thin trails streaming from her wounds, but she still needs to cover them.

-----

Engl was still trying to fit the scales into the large shell charm when out of the corner of her eye, she saw him set her knife down and back away. She was about to look up at him when the contract of his tail in the water outlined a thin wisp of red. If she wasn't trained to spot such things she would have missed it entirely. She slipped the scales in the pouch and stuck it in her shirt pocket before grabbing the newly returned knife and strode to the boat. Carefully she lifted out the painting so she won't forget it, and cut a strip of cloth from the blanket that covered it.

She sheathed the knife and walked back to Tyne, holding out her hand to him. "It isn't good to bleed in the water. Let me bind that for you, I promise it'll only sting a little bit." She didn't notice he was starting at her, she was more distracted about what art thing she could do with his scales and still keep them close to her, and the fact he cut himself presumably while retrieving her knife.

They reached the boat. Taking Fyre's arms, he helped pull her aboard. The first thing he did was use the shirt he took off before jumping in, and wrapped it around her fin to stop the bleeding. He sighed as it turned red. "I'll need a new shirt after this..." He got a pail of water and brought it to her in case see needed a rerinse. Opening the sail, the boat began moving to the lighthouse.

"On the far side, away from the town, in the base of the cliff, it's low tide so you should see the top of the cave entrance. The opening is under water, the rest is well... you'll see." She sprinkled water on her tail gasping when she sat up to do it.

Jacus nodded, "Just take it easy. I'm not going to let harm come to you. You did keep me from drowning..." He thought to himself as he directed the boat to her cove. He was sore from the whole thing, and his lung confused from the air to water back to air thing.

Fyre pointed to the other side of the cliff, sure enough, there was the top of a cave entrance peaking above the waves. "Anchor it about a mile away, it won't drift into the rocks if you do... " with that she slipped off the boat and painfully swam to the cave diving under to go inside.

Jacus nodded and quickly anchored, tying down the sails and such. Once the boat was secure, he dove into the water with a small bag and swam after her, swimming at the surface and still breathing the air, holding his breath when his head was under water, not used to his life saving gift, and not sure if it still worked.

Tyne blinked, snapping out of his daze. He bit back the 'no' that had become almost automatic, and instead slowly approached, raising his hand and flipping it so his palm face up, revealing a red line across it that was bleeding. "It's just a small injury," he quickly told her, eyes now on her own hands. He had a fight-or-flight instinct whenever anything touched him when he wasn't paying attention and he was in pain. Even if it was just minor, it still registered as 'pain' and therefore 'weakness' and therefore 'danger'. "It'll heal quick enough." Or, at least, it'd heal quicker then the injuries he remembered, which there were many of. His sarcasm, dislike of almost anyone, and habit of thinking out loud weren't things that kept him out of trouble. Luckily, being raised by a shark-tailed mermaid who had a worse temper then you sometimes and made sure that you knew how to fight- and win- had it's perks. At least, until they vanish only for you to find their body five days later, it did.

He kept his gaze on Engl's hands, quickly getting rid of those thoughts.

Fyre was in her cave already. Once he swam in, it tunnels down under the water then back up into a large cavern lighted by glowing algae and a hollow wall with glass somehow set in the rock, where glowing jellyfish lazily undulated around the crude tank. The rock floor was smooth granite, covered with two inches of water. Pillars of rock connected floor to cavern roof. On the sides, pools of oysters placed by the curved walls connected by a irrigation like system, letting in new water from high tide.

Fyre lay on a large slab of mother-of-pearl, it looked like a monster clam, long dead and now used for a bed and was sunken into the floor. Spongy moss lined the bottom, along with six inches of water of water inside. A little cat fish swam along the pathways and around Fyre. She had stuck some moss to her side, and tail, her fin carefully wrapped in seaweed.

-----

Engl lay the cloth on his hand and slowly bound it. "This will keep it from stinging all the time, and from getting bad stuff in it. " She tied it up and pressed both hands over his, checking the bandage to make sure it doesn't slip off his slick skin and that it was comfortable for him. "There, all better. " She let go of him and got up. "Thank you again for saving me. I better go check on that boy....and make lunch.... I'll bring you something if you want me too..."