AroaraAngelwolf

Red riding hood 1x1

"Ah, victory!" Vilkas remarked, smirking. He just moved with Ruby's light shove, shifting his position so he was more comfortable. "I'll work on presentation next time," he assured, running his fingers through his crimson locks. "Sorry about startling your muse but, there's always another," the male apologized.

Stretching his arms upwards, he clasped his hands behind his head and leaned back against the tree. "So, besides drawing, what are you up to today?" Vilkas asked, briefly glancing at her from the corner of his eye. "You've probably heard already; there's supposed to be a trading caravan coming in but there's rumors of entertainers tagging along this time. Some circus people or something. I plan on checking them out. How about you?"

Ruby tilted her head. "I haven't seen a trading caravan... I might check it out. I don't know though... I don't like seeing animals in cages. I might just cause chaos by letting them loose and I can be easily spotted in this cloak. I would be caught red hooded..." she smirked at her joke playing off of what he always called her.

"Although it might be worth checking out, they might have new paints, and I might find a different muse there..."

"The animals usually aren't caged up. They've got leashes and typically walk or ride beside their trainer," Vilkas explained, faintly smiling at her attempted joke. "The caravans should be here in a few hours. Want to join the welcoming party? A few people are helping to set up some space," he invited, starting to climb to his feet and offering a hand to help her up.

Ruby took his hand and got up, slipping her book in a pocket in her cloak and ate another cookie. "Absolutely! But I'm not sharing these cookies with them... these are mine." She smiled and looked at him. "You know where it's at, lead the way wolfy... with my skills I might just get lost again. Speaking of, have you checked on grandma? I haven't been to her home since she.... went off on me...."

Vilkas chuckled, ruffling Ruby's hair playfully. "That's fine. I can always make more if I wanted to," he remarked with a grin as he started walking. "They're supposedly coming in from the North but, we'll see. They could have been sidetracked or something and deviated in their path. But, who knows? A lot of rumors spread like wildfire in this place." A light shrug emphasized his words.

At Ruby's question, he glanced back at her. "Grandma hates me more than she hates you. I've seen her watering her window plants but that's about it. By now, she's probably gotten over the spat and just figures you'll come to realize what's important. Though, you don't have to tell her it isn't about getting married," he stated, smirking.

Ruby sighed and followed him slowly, playfully swatted his hand away when he ruffled her hair. "True, everyone likes gossip here. I still think I should wait a couple more days before seeing her again, she has been getting forgetful lately. Perhaps she had forgotten it."

She walked a little ways in silence, and didn't speak until they where outside the woods. "Say.... you're in the woods often.. have you see a wolf? Long ears, lithe body like a greyhound black with red markings on it and a long whip like tail? I... have been trying to draw it. It frightened me a little when I first ran into it because it leaped at me..... but although it could have bitten me it didn't.... it's markings are cool... and I can't seem to re-create them."

She paused. "I guess you think me stupid chasing a wolf, but my dad raised dogs, duke was the last dog he trained.... but when I was little, I found a pup in the woods and raised it. The picture you saw was of him, Greyback, or Gray I called him. He was a full blooded wolf but the best dog I had...they don't scare me at all."

[[i was working on a post yesterday and then I lost it...]]

Vilkas shrugged, clasping his hands together behind his back. "Maybe she has. Who knows?" he replied calmly. The pair fell into silence for a time until Ruby spoke up again once they left the woods, her words making him pause. "Uh... I can't say that I have. You sure you aren't just recalling a dream?" he asked her, head tilted faintly in concern.

"I don't really think you stupid for possibly chasing after a wild animal. I think it more reckless or bothersome. However, you'll do what you do. I'm not your father so I can't restrain you. Just...." Vilkas trailed off, rubbing the back of his neck. "Just be careful. Simply because an animal didn't kill you the first time, doesn't mean another won't," he warned.

((Aw! Hate it when that happens! And it normally does when I have it all perfectly written and then I can't remember it again!))

Ruby shook her head. "No, it isn't a dream! Look!" She flipped to a recent picture of the wolf, it was laying in the sun sleeping soundly. "And the black Smith was raving for weeks about a "demon wolf" cursed him. I don't think it did.. oh! And your knife is fixed... " She handed him his little knife.

"I know the risks, I make sure I'm not to close or I'm up in a tree away from snapping jaws. Although this wolf in particular.. had several times he could scare me, make me fall and get hurt, or push me into a freezing water but it doesn't, it simply walks away.... " She looked at the picture wistfully like she wanted to get close to it one day, before snapping the book shut abruptly. "Let's continue shall we?"

[[Don't worry. You don't need to repost to get my attention. I'm in other threads too but I'm not going to forget about this in a day.]]

Vilkas tentatively took his knife back, wonder how in the world Ruby got it from the Blacksmith. Shaking his head, he pushed the thought back and continued walking. "Well, so long as you're careful..." he mumbled, frowning slightly. He remained in silence for the rest of the way until they reached the northern end of the little town. Already, there was a large crowd gathered but definitely not yet all of the town.

Maneuvering through the throng of people, Vilkas stopped short of the front and peered around some tall heads. The caravan was just in sight and steadily growing closer. "They should be here in about twenty minutes or so. I'm going to grab some bread from the Baker in the meantime. You want to tag along or wait here?" he asked Ruby.

((Sorry.))

Ruby sighed, she was a full five inches shorter then he was and couldn't see a thing. "I'll go with you, I can't see anything really... besides, I need to chat with the Baker anyway, make sure he is properly showing my sweets, it's my living. If he just showed his, I won't have any money. ... and lately I haven't gotten as much as I should have. " She followed him out of the crowd.

Nodding, Vilkas separated from the growing crowd and made his way towards the bakery, glancing behind him once to make sure he hadn't lost Ruby to the town. A few streets down and a couple turns later, he spotted the bakery and entered the small shop area that attached to the family's home at the back. "Hello?" he called, receiving a response after a moment or two.

"Ah! Dear boy, what can I help you with?" the baker asked.

"Do you have any fresh loaves today? I need a few for the week," Vilkas responded.

The baker scratched the underside of his jaw. "I did bake a fresh batch this morning. Let me check to see how many I have left." Turning, the man left to check on his supplies.

[[NPC. I figured splitting control with each post would help give a bit more content so neither of us aren't left flailing for words aha.]]

"You know I can always make you bread... or teach you to make it yourself... it'll be cheaper for you." She was leaning over the display case looking at the goodies inside with a talented eye. She frowned and was gradually growing deeper as she went along the case. A low sound like a irritated growl emanated from her.

She straightened, clicking her tongue, and tapped hire foot impatiently, glaring at the door to the back with harsh eyes like green glass. Adding to the effect, she folded her arms across her chest, looking slightly intimidating for someone so slender and small.

The baker came back out with three loaves of bread in his arms. "Looks like you're in luck! I still got three-" he falters when he saw Ruby. "Miss. Madigan, how have you been?" He handed Vilkas the bread before darting behind the counter, apparently he had faced the young woman's anger before.

Ruby remained quiet, knowing that the baker knew why she was mad, only two of her things was in the case, she wanted to hear what he had to say for himself first before letting him hear what she had to say.

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

As Vilkas took the loaves from the baker and gave him what was owed, the tale male glanced between the man and Ruby. "Miss Madigan, I'm not a stall for people to showcase their wares. Whatever space your treats take up, mine can't. I sincerely suggest that you fashion up your own cart for market day and make a profit from that. Not off of me," the man remarked, a frown on his face. "If you want to take up my space any longer, I'm going to start charging a renter's fee."

Rubbing the back of his neck, Vilkas cautiously opened his mouth. "So, what do you do with the treats that aren't displayed?"

"I wrap 'em up to be collected by Missy here," the baker replied, already moving towards a cabinet and removing a bundle from its shelves. "Look. I'm just trying to make a living and I can't do that when your treats are being bought alongside mine. There are days when none of yours sell and there are days when none of mine do."

Edited by Narvix

Ruby sighed. "I only asked you to sell what I had so we both won't be competing for customers. This town is too small for two bakers, and we'll both put each other out of business. I will keep giving you my treats, but whatever profit you get, keep it. I'll find another way to make money. I know of two people who always buy my strawberry upside down shortcake, and my brownies.... I'll only send you those, enough for the two customers I know of.

I won't stop baking, I'd rather cut off my own hand then stop what I love to do, but I'm a clever girl Baker, I'll find something else out. I'll come back and get the other treats later. " She walked out at that, pulling her hood up and eating Vilkas's cookies in thought. Perhaps not a baker, but she could bring her things in town to sell.....

Hmmm... she overheard a couple woman walking by heading to the caravan, talking about getting a portrait done if there was someone there... that's it! Drawing was her hidden talent. A few choice people know how skilled she was. She can do paintings for people in the town!

"There won't be any competition if we sell different things, missy," the baker responded, scratching his chin. "You like baking sweet treats, right? You could sell those and I'll focus on average things like loaves. And, if you're up for it, we can always collaborate on bigger stuff like giant cakes," he suggested.

However, Ruby left as she put up her hood, causing the man to frown. "Well, I hope she comes 'round. I don't want either of us to go out of business. Ya know, boy?" Vilkas nodded, patting the countertop before hurrying to catch up with the girl.

"Hey, things will sort out as a win-win for you both," he started, easily keeping pace with Ruby. "Looks like the caravan's starting to pull in," he observed, noting the growing excitement in the crowd. There was a shouted greeting and many of the onlookers waved or shouted in return, parting to allow the travelers passage before converging on their sides and rear.

A trumpet was sounded and the crowd jumped back, the caravan unfolding with banners and posts, people spilling out with the contents. A second caravan pulled up further to the side, similarly opening up to reveal what it carried. "Let's go have a look, huh?" Vilkas suggested, smiling at Ruby.

[[Describe at your leisure.]]

Ruby nodded and pushed through the crowed to the caravan. It was a wash of color, smells, sounds and activity. Several open stalls showed jewelry and fabrics. Others auctions exotic birds and animals. One man selling weapons had a wolf under the table. Another made wind chimes.

Slowly they spend up other stalls, like roasted meats on sticks among other food stalls. A juggler showed off his talent, and a man let kids pet a tiger with a gilded caller. Other small acts where set up around the area, some with animals, some not. Ruby looked around curiously. "Wow, there's a lot of things here, what should we look at first?"

((You can describe more, that's all I could come up with))

Vilkas examined the various stalls, noting all sorts of trinkets, jewelry, knick-knacks, and such. At Ruby's question, he paused and thought briefly. "Are you hungry?" he asked her after a few moments. "I say we see what we can get to eat and then check out what's being sold?" the male suggested, tilting his head quizzically. "Just pick a direction and we'll walk it," he smiled, leaving the choice to her. "Though, my mouth is watering at the smell of some good meat." A laugh.

Raking his fingers through his hair, Vilkas waited for Ruby's response. Around them, people chattered excitedly, children shouted with joy, and the caravan traders bellowed out their wares and deals. The variety of animals that had been brought along made their various calls as demanded or simply remained silent, performing any tricks for a treat or appearing tame and watching the passage of people.

((Woups forgot about this one!))

Ruby nodded then turned in a slow half circle with her nose in the air, before pointing down a vender ally that had the most delicious aroma drifting down it. "I smell roasted lamb that way. Dose that sound good?" She looked at him with her emerald eyes like he was a book she was studying. "I would like to see if there's any more books. They might have a unique one I'd find interesting. You know, you know what's like to do... I don't thinking ever found out what you liked to do...is there anything in particular you find interesting or do in your free time?" She asked calmly as she walked slowly in the direction she chose.

"I like taking naps," Vilkas chuckled, answering her question. His mouth watered at the mention of lamb and he swallowed. "I haven't had lamb in a good while. I wonder if it'll taste like mum's," he murmured hopefully. Starting towards the indicated vender section, he rubbed at his chin. "Well, aside from napping, I like walking and climbing trees. Then there're times when I just want to sit in a clearing or on a bench and enjoy the wind. Ya know?" he continued, shrugging a moment later.

As they neared the stall from which the savory scent of cooking lamb drifted, Vilkas licked his lips absently and paused a few steps away. The butcher was bent over the open flames, turning a large skewer that pierced two or three choice cuts. Without really looking, the man reached over for a bowl of seasonings and sprinkled some of its contents over the cooking food. Eventually, he stood up and glanced over his shoulder, finally spotting the pair. "Oi! Di'n't realize I ha' customers! Wha' can I do fer ya?"

Quickly shaking his head to push away the urge to just jump the low wall and counter, Vilkas rubbed the side of his neck. "Do you, uh... Do you have any fresh portions for sale?" he asked. "I'm not much of a cook but I'd like to have some for supper eventually."

Ruby on the other hand, had to keep herself from drooling. She was watching the lamb turn, almost predatory... seriously, she needs more human interaction. She shook her head to clear her mind. "No worries, I can make it for you.. haven't had lamb in a long while not since my dad passed.. man oh man, did he make a tender lamb..." She flushed when her stomach grumbled and she hugged it laughing nervously. "Sorry... starving, hadn't had anything for breakfast."

She looked at the butcher. "Same for me, a nice cut lamb for supper, and a.. a leg to go if possible?"

(Would do the butcher but I can't write how he talks... it's difficult for me.))

The butcher smiled at the pair and nodded. "Oi, I got fresh slabs fer sale. How many are ya lookin' fer?" the man asked.

Vilkas thought momentarily. "I'll buy three pieces and two roasted legs for us," he replied. "How much?"

Chuckling, the man shuffled about in his stall, pulling out three paper-wrapped bundles marked with charcoal. "Fer the ra' meat, a few pieces of cop'er. Fer the cook'd legs, the same." Vilkas nodded and dug for the amount due while the butcher began turning and seasoning a pair of meaty lamb legs over the open flames.

While they waited, Vilkas set the six copper coins on the counter and leaned against it, glancing at Ruby. "You seem excited for this," he noted, grinning widely. "You should remember to eat breakfast. Being hungry tends to sour the day. At least, in my opinion and experience," he stated, laughing.

Ruby had fazed out again watching the lamb turn then flushed when Vilkas looked at her. She quickly straightened and wiped the drool from her lips coughing nervously. "I didn't intend to skip it. I go for early morning walks and happened across my muse -which you frightened off- and had forgotten that I didn't eat breakfast until we came here...... unless you count those cookies. I only ate two out of the dozen... so I guess that doesn't count as much of a breakfast." She glanced at him sheepishly, emerald eyes flashing under her hood.

Rubbing the back of his neck, Vilkas laughed nervously. "I said I was sorry for that," he stated, a faint whine to his tone that made his words bounce. "Well, try not to skip it anymore. It's an important meal and helps the brain work properly." A few more minutes and their food was ready, passed over to them and smelling oh so good. With meal in one hand, Vilkas took the packaged raw meat and tucked it under his arm. "Alright. We got food. What do you want to check out next?" he asked her, taking a quick bite of the savory lamb.

Ruby too her meal and made to take a big bite, then stopped and tore a small bit off of the leg carefully swallowing before taking. "Thank you, this is quite delicious! We should check out the stalls. These things have good books and they might have more craft things here. So let's backtrack and look at the stalls we missed on the way to this place." She took the packages and placed it in her bag around her shoulder before taking another bite. "There's no need to whine! I'm not mad at you Vilkas! It's hard to be upset with those amber eyes giving you a whipped puppy look!" She giggled and ruffled his red hair grinning at him.

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf