AroaraAngelwolf

Red riding hood 1x1

[[sorry. I'll try getting a post sometime tomorrow. I just needed to step back from posting in threads to handle schoolwork. Still have assignments and an exam next Wednesday but I'm gonna try for a post here or there.]]

He paused mid-bite, ears swiveling towards the direction the sound came from. Clamping his muzzle shut, Vilkas lifted his head and looked about him, a low growl rising from his chest. Someone dared to bother him during a meal?

Slowly, he climbed to his paws, unnaturally long and thin tail slithering across the grassy forest floor. After looking around, he looked up, amber eyes scanning the trees until they fell upon Ruby. With a snarl, he mentally berated the girl and turned on his heel, fleeing in a blur of dark fur before dissolving into dust and disappearing.

"Oh blasted branch! I almost had it's marking right!" She shouted in the silence and managed to half fall half climb down the tree and land on her feet shaking her legs from the brief pain as she muttered and headed back to her hut to study some more. Around mid day she had yet again fallen asleep at her desk, why she even had a bed when she hadn't lain in it for two years.... She only kept it because Duke slept in it during the day and kept guard at night.

[[New interaction?

Anything you want to happen now?

Perhaps an estimate on how much time has passed now would be beneficial too.]]

((Thursday, grannies again, and I will.)))

Ruby stumbled along the path yawning. Last week when she met Vilkas for the first time granny had a cold and was thankful for the food she brought her. This time though she didn't know how the old woman would react, she was different every time she visited.

Yet, it was a week since she slept properly, that wolf always entered her dreams and drifted in and out like the cloud of dust and dirt it disappears in to. Two chickens had gone missing from the coop of a farmer just this morning and foxes where to blame, but.... Ruby hasn't seen a Fox for three years now, since the last fox that was spotted around here was stuffed and placed on Tomas's mantle, the black Smith's son... shame such a pretty creature had to be tracked and shot.

Vilkas was already at Grandma's house, lounging in a porch chair that wasn't all too comfortable. The sound of footsteps reached his ears and he looked over, spying little Red as she approached. "Afternoon, Missy. Stumbling quite a bit there, aren't you? You feeling alright?" he inquired, leaning forward in the seat as he shifted into a less painful position.

Ruby yawned. "Sleepy. Been having dreams of a....... a...... wolf but not a wolf. It's black with a thin long tail red markings long ears and snout. It's like, a greyhound wolf mix.... it's hard to explain."

Vilkas frowned faintly, leaning back in the wooden chair. "Sorry to hear. Hope you get some better sleep soon," he replied. Glancing at the doorway, he jabbed a thumb in its direction. "Better head in then. Grandma's likely heard us chatting by now and wondering where her little Red is at."

Getting up, he started walking, hands stuffed in his pockets. After a moment, he paused and turned back to face Ruby and the small home. "Unless you need my company? Grandma might be in a sour mood and likely to take it out on someone. Wouldn't want your feelings hurt by the grouch. She always hates me and likes using me as a pin cushion," he offered, shrugging.

Ruby shook her head. "I'll take it on my own, I'm late anyway. See you later. " She headed in and sure enough, shrill words echoed her own, granny was in a mood today.

"You're late! You could have brushed your hair and dressed nicely to see me! Who where you talking too?" The old women's voice sounded like a creaking chair. "No one granny." A humph. "Carrying on a conversation with nothing is one step toward the institution, keep raving on like a lunatic and you'll be a old maid for the rest of your life!" "Granny please..." Ruby's voice was soft, trying to calm the old woman down but she was on a roll. "I was married at fifteen, you are a grown woman and still have no man! That young lad Tomas seems to take a likening to you you should marry him and then you'll be well off-" "No!" in the window of the small cottage the old woman wore a look of shock as ruby raised her voice, then it turned cold and very bitter. "Tomas isn't the man everyone thinks he is. I know what he does in the taverns and brothels in town. I'm surprised he hasn't had a child out of wedlock yet with all the women he spent with in the same bed. I would mean nothing more to him then the stuffed elk head on his wall, a trophy he can show off. Now, if you excuse me.... I am tired and want to go home and rest. Enjoy your meal granny.."

Ruby strode from the cottage closing the door quietly and ran into the wood as fast as she could until the house was out of sight and she stopped, debating whether to hit a tree again or throw a rock.

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

Hearing a few shouts caused Vilkas to pause, gaze focused on the cottage. He was seated in the wooden chair again, fiddling with a handful of grass. As the voices died down, the door creaked open and Ruby hurried out, quietly shutting the door behind her. He was about to speak, opening his mouth to ask if everything were okay.

But she ran before he could.

"*censorkip.gif," Vilkas swore, pushing himself out of the seat and twisting on his heel to hit a fist against the cottage door.

It swung open after three or four, loud, knocks and disrupting a fifth. Grandma scowled, her gaze traveling upward and recognizing his face. "You again? Didn't I tell you to stay away from me?" she hissed, reaching aside to grab a broom which she could bat him away with.

He caught the broom, hands stinging from the impact as the slap rang in his ears. "Hate me how you like but don't hate little Red. She gives you more than you deserve, especially when you act like a witch half of the time," he growled at the old woman.

Releasing the broom and turning away, he listened to the hag huff and shout at his back. "I'll have them hunt you down like the filthy beast you are! Mark my word! If you come near me again, I'll end ya!" He waved dismissively in response and hurried off to find Ruby.

----

Forestry rushed past as he sprinted, canine form weaving between underbrush and trees. After minutes had ticked by, Vilkas finally spotted her, ducking behind a boulder to keep out of Ruby's sight. In the same, fluid movement, his figure broke apart into dirt and dust, reshaping himself as human. Foliage crunched under foot as he stepped into sight, rubbing his chin. "You lost, little Red?" he remarked, trying to lighten her mood with some reminiscent humor.

[[something's glitchy with Censor Kips |D]]

Edited by Narvix

Ruby whirled around to face him, her voice still bitter but she seemed to be aimed elsewhere. "I'm not lost....." She snapped then winced. "Sorry, just... really angry.... I shouldn't have raised my voice at her, she is a old woman.... my mother would have said, 'it doesn't matter whether you are angry or not always respect your elders'..."

Rubbing the back of his neck, Vilkas frowned. "It's okay to be angry," he remarked quietly, gaze drifting to the side. Personally, he'd prefer if no one was angry but, there really wasn't much he could do about it. People felt what they felt, when they felt it.

Shrugging his shoulders, he leaned back against the boulder and pursed his lips in momentary thought. "Well, you can raise your voice and still respect your elders. Having respect for someone doesn't mean you shouldn't feel anything but neutral around them. Or act neutral, for that matter." He shrugged again.

Ruby sighed. "You talk like a philosopher...." She sat down and huffed and threw a rock at a tree. "How much did you hear?" She looked at the ground and picked at the grass. She hoped he didn't hear that much.

Idly scratching his jaw, Vilkas shrugged. "More than I'd like, I guess," he responded slowly, stepping closer to gently rest a hand on her shoulder. "If you don't want me to sound like a philosopher, I won't." Patting her shoulder, he mumbled a brief "come on" and motioned with his head, indicating they should start walking. "I'll take you home. You look like you can do with some rest," he said softly.

[[Feel free to end the interaction and start a new one if you can't think of anything else. I can also start a new interaction if you want me to.]]

Ruby nodded and followed him silently to her home. She hugged him at the door sounding close to tears. "Thank you for being there..and taking to me... I really needed it......." She sniffed and headed inside, actually using her loft and falling asleep.

(You go ahead with the next interaction, smile.gif ))

[[Alright. If you're up for it, I think it's time Ruby caught a glimpse of a human figure after spotting the strange wolf disappearing. No dots to Vilkas yet though tongue.gif]]

Thursday drew to a close, followed quickly by Friday. Saturday saw Vilkas hunting again but, it wasn't a prey animal this time. No, he needed a different type of sustenance this time around. Problem was, he had to get it in the village and couldn't consume it through a human body.

Weaving through the market square of the village, his footsteps guided him towards the blacksmith's. He had a dagger, sheathed and at his side, intending to have it examined it possibly reinforced. Of course, it didn't matter to Vilkas but he needed something to distract the aged man and his unruly boy.

What Vilkas needed was ash and dust from a lit hearth. What he needed was metal-flecked dirt to replenish his body.

Simply lighting his own campfire wouldn't cut it.

Reaching the blacksmith's, he caught the man's attention and smiled warmly in greeting. "Ah, what can I do for ya, lad?" the man asked, wiping his hands down on the soot-covered apron he wore.

"I need a blade checked and possibly reinforced," Vilkas replied, unsheathing the dagger and passing it over.

Humming in contemplation, Thomas' father inspected the short blade and hilt, nodding now and then. "Ay, I can reinforce it. It's nice work. What were ya hopin' for?" The man looked at Vilkas, inquiry in his gaze.

The boy shrugged, tapping the bench between them. "Something sturdy enough to handle a lot of stress," he replied.

Nodding again, the blacksmith sighed. "I can do tha'. It'll take a bit but, it's possible. You worried about price?"

Vilkas shook his head. "Nope. Feel free to take your time too. I'll be about taking care of other things."

"Ay, very well. I'll set on it then."

[sweet!]

Ruby was slowly on her way to the Smith's. She needed more bullets but didn't know how to make her own. She hated going to Tomas's dad for help. She had her head down and her hood covering most of her vision. After she would make her commission, she would head to the woods to look for that strange wolf again.

As the man turned and made his way inside to gather a few tools, Vilkas slipped away to the back, looking over his shoulder to make sure he wouldn't be caught. Entering the blacksmith's work area, he ducked behind a water barrel, his human form dissolving into dust. The particles reshaped themselves into the strange wolf, darting from object to object as he kept low. His long tail was wrapped around his body, keeping it from trailing behind and possibly drawing attention.

Footsteps caused his ears to perk and he withdrew into the shadows, spying the blacksmith as he set a handful of tools and Vilkas' dagger onto a bench. With a mutter, the man returned inside, having forgotten something. Exhaling with relief, the Form Walker continued forward, hurrying to the lively hearth.

Hot air caressed his face as bright flames imprinted their image in his gaze. His tail unfurled from his body, weaving out behind him before sweeping across the ground. With a faint growl, he lunged at the hearth. Fire leapt across his dark fur and burned in his throat. But no pain shot across his flesh, no patch of fur was scorched away. Fire couldn't harm him in this shape. It was fire that had created the dust he was born from.

However, remaining too long would make fire his destroyer.

As quickly as he could, he collected the burning ash, feeling it melt against his body as the flecks were absorbed. They would replace the particles he had lost over time, restoring his weakened body. Born from dirt and dust, he was bound to it.

"Wh-What in blazes...!"

censorkip.gif.

Vilkas hadn't heard the Blacksmith return, jumping with a start as the man began to swear and moan about possibly being cursed by witchcraft. With a snarl, Vilkas leapt out of the hearth, flames trickling along his back before his canine form dissolved. The flames went out with the cloud of dust, leaving the blacksmith shaken.

Around the corner, Vilkas' body reformed itself, his human feet stumbling before finding themselves in his rush to flee. Right at this moment, he didn't care if someone spotted him. He just needed to get away quickly.

Ruby just came to the shop when the wolf leaped out of the fire and dissolved. She was at the angle where she could see around the corner as the dust reformed into a human shape, her hood rim blocking most of the body from sight, just warn shoes and dark pants running away. The wolf was a werewolf?! It could be anybody in the village! She quickly ran into the smithy. "What happened? Are you okay?"