The-Rogue-Breeder

Adult catching!

I think this has already been denied? It bypasses literally everything that this site is about. Catching mystery eggs, having to raise them, scroll limits...

Agreed. Adults should be earned with time and effort.

No support. I would sooner have incubate or something for hatchlings. This would make the game too easy and make catching eggs a moot point.

But don't take the idea getting shot down personally. Some ideas to go somewhere.

Eh, figures. Seems like a lot of suggestions get shot down. I know a guy herewho had a request and got yelled at to the point he requested a ban.

Look around you. Look around the entire S/R section. There are more than a thousand suggestion threads floating around here. Many were accepted and actually implemented, many enjoy wide support, many are hotly debated for page-counts exceeding two digits, and many are too "shot down" by the active S/R crowd like yours.

Your suggestion is but one out of those that do not enjoy widespread support. This is not a personal vendetta against you or the others who started those suggestions, nor is the S/R crowd change-resistant on a whole. The reason for this to get this level of negative response lies elsewhere.

==========================================

And going back on topic, no, I do not support this for reasons that many others have already stated.

Dragon Cave is a game about raising dragons, and catching adults directly goes against that principle.

Edited by CNR4806

No.  Catching adults equals free instant adults with no work involved.  Also from a lore point of view why would an adult dragon, raised in the wilderness want to have anything to do with a human?  It makes sense that dragons we raise from an egg might stick around, we're part of it's family then.

Devil's Advocate: Dragons in the wilderness are often "pets" that have been abandoned and gone feral. It's quite possible that some would prefer to return to the the comforts of a happy home than continue to face the uncertainty of life in the wild, provided that the handler could regain their trust, of course.

While it would be an interesting "bragging rights" feature to be able to win the affection of a wild dragon, based off of interaction and a great deal of time/effort, I don't particularly see the need. It's much easier to hatch the little guys and watch them bloom.

Personal note: I must be the only person who doesn't care about the lore. I'm just here to collect pretty pixels.

Edited by Sir Barton

Personal note: I must be the only person who doesn't care about the lore. I'm just here to collect pretty pixels.

No, you are not alone. But we do seem to need to do the lore thing to get a suggestion OKd or shot down xd.png

DC is a game to catch and hatch things and watch them mature. Simply catching adults is a different game - and it means missing a big chunk of the sprites that are available here. Is that really just lore?

DC is a game to catch and hatch things and watch them mature. Simply catching adults is a different game - and it means missing a big chunk of the sprites that are available here. Is that really just lore?

No, that's game dynamics.

I keep seeing people commenting about the background story, but when I started there was no story. You stole eggs and hatched them. There was a basic setting of a Medieval time frame, but to me, that had more to do with making new dragon concepts fit with the existing ones. No high-tech, armored space dragon invading the personal space of a Mint.

Lore was mainly in the realm of the RP folks. This site sanctioned lore concept, on a whole, is not something I care about. I'm not here for the gamer world building experience. Example: Mana, to me, is a fortified peanut butter product that they use to save starving children in third world countries. Mother Administered Nutritive Aid. (MANA)

I'm not a gamer. I'm a collector. The bells and whistles are just white noise to me.

As stated, that was just a personal comment.

Back on topic, I don't see this idea as a game breaker as long as it's limited to an activity that requires work, (the OP did suggest the need to interact with the dragon for a period of time) but I don't see a need for it. It's basically trading the time it takes to hatch an egg for the time it takes to tame an adult..or that's how it should work, in my opinion. Still, I'm neutral.

Edit: It could be fun, however, if set up correctly. You character walks up to a wild dragon. "Hey. How ya doin'?" Runs away with his pants on fire. Try again tomorrow.

Edited by Sir Barton

Edit: It could be fun, however, if set up correctly. You character walks up to a wild dragon. "Hey. How you doin'?" Runs away with his pants on fire. Try again tomorrow.

*giggles*

While I am undecided about the suggestion of catching adults, the answer "wild dragons are too dangerous" to it is a bit shallow. Catching wild pygmie adults should work then.

I do agree that it needs balancing - getting a gold trophy is fairly easy if you play regularly already, and if you could get it within a day by catching adults - what do we need trophies for at all?

If it's set up in the right way, it could work and even add to the game.

Maybe a freshly caught adult uses up a slot on your scroll, while you have to tame it? Taming a wild dragon takes time, and it seems just logical that you can't care for your usual amount of eggs and hatchies at the same time. Hatching an egg and raising the hatchie to adulthood takes 6 days (5 with incubate), taming a wild dragon could take the same amount of time.

Or make it a bit more challenging: The adult uses up 2 slots and you have to care for it 7 days to successfully tame it.

Maybe in those 7 days, the adult on your scroll has to gather views to decide whether or not the taming was successful. If it doesn't get enough views, it isn't familiar enough with humans after 7 days and runs off to the wild after you release it from its chains. If it gets too many views too quickly, it is scared off by all those humans, breaks free and runs off as well.

Difficulty of taming adults could be based on size and aggressiveness of the dragon, so rarity of eggs in the cave and rarity of tamed adults of a breed could be completely uncoupled.

However, we would need an "adult cave" to catch cb adults for taming to make this work. Could be some valley close to human settlements where dragons are a bit more familiar with humans.

The dragons in the wilderness should stay wild - a lot of them were released for a reason, and it would only create drama if the old holidays and discontinueds there would suddenly be available.

Just a few thoughts that came to my mind - I'm not even sure if I'd like to see it implemented.

Edited by Ha-Ki

If it takes as much as or more time to tame an adult, why not just get eggs?

I like the idea of the adult taking up more time and space than an egg. That will make people consider it a bit more before they decided to invest in taming that adult.

I was thinking, this could be a way for adults to be "gifted" in a way if it was set up like a pound. I have only recently released a dragon into the wild, because I don't care for the concept. ...more of my real life stuff. Ecologically unsound. Risk of introducing disease into wild populations. Animals raised in captivity lack the survival skills of their wild raised cousins. Etc.

The dragon I released, (Solstice with the wrong color wings) could have been useful to someone else, but I had no way to get it into other people's hands. I would have preferred a way to release it to an adoption shelter instead of the wild. That way is someone could have used her lineage, great. She would have a happy home. They would have to work with him to earn her trust, (Ha-Ki's taming days idea) because obviously she's going to be a bit traumatized that I kicked her out, but that would be a win for the dragon and the new owner in the end.

It could be a separate option. You could release to the wild if you don't want the dragon with the messy lineage reproducing, or you could send him to the pound where he could be adopted. Basically, an AP for adults.

@Niyaka. Maybe people would like the challenge of 'taming' an adult, or maybe it has a lineage they would like and don't want to start from scratch.

Edited by Sir Barton

If we're talking about released dragons, which considerably I know TJ is not to on board with 'taming', I wouldnt see it as a game breaking hassle...

I personally just like the idea of eggs. The fact that we can see dragons released kinda irks me. Most other sites if a pet is released it is gone and either poofs with no trace or is left behind at any stage for others to pick up and continue raising/keeping.

So lets think of this in the RP perspective since I know some might not want to due to "It goes against lore" or what not. Dragons in the wild are mainly dragons that have been released from the care of their human. These dragons know how to be wild but are mainly domesticated. As such I would not see it too far fetched for these dragons that once lived and followed a human to be coaxed and their trust gained into joining up with you. As intelligent creatures it would obviously take some time but it is not entirely impossible.

But then lets bring up the question of limits. What dragons would be available for this? Should old pinks and frills be excluded? even if it is time consuming, should there be a limit to how many per day/week/month you could get? Should the limit be like CB holidays, X number per scroll and no more? What benefits or penalties should there be to this? How long exactly should it take? I mean if its gonna take me over a week or so for this to happen, really why not just hatch an egg. Same time, a bit more fun in terms of watching little things grow and anticipation of gender and such.

I like the idea of the adult taking up more time and space than an egg. That will make people consider it a bit more before they decided to invest in taming that adult.

But it renders the reason for this suggestion moot. You won't be able to collect dragons even faster this way. wink.gif

But it renders the reason for this suggestion moot. You won't be able to collect dragons even faster this way. wink.gif

Which may begin to explain to the OP just how this game works ?

When I release dragons, it's because I don't want other people to have them. If this suggestion means players are able to claim dragons that I have purposefully released, then I am against it even more. I know that some of us catch messy eggs so that they can freeze or abandon them and be rid of bad lineages, and the only other way to do so would be to kill them. Many of us don't like killing dragons, myself included.

I realise you're not ruling this out since you mean the actual reason for the suggestion, not potential reasons for the suggestion, but I wanted to mention it anyway: You could conceivably breed dragons faster. smile.gifAlso potentially get interesting things, like snow angels with a colour not matched to your scroll? Though I don't think that should be the focus.

Maybe Sir Barton's idea could get its own topic? Perhaps we could decide whether to release a dragon to the wild or to be re-tamed (maybe with a random wait time thrown in to avoid people using it as a way to trade adults)? I can sympathise with the whole idea of 'I got the wrong colour adult but I genuinely think someone else might enjoy it', at the very least, though I'm personally not sure if something should be done about it, but I really like the idea of trying to draft up suggestions around that goal.

Edited by pinkgothic

Perhaps, something like this could work if it were nursing a sick or injured adult back to health?

It would be neat if in that case, the dragons had different sprites. Like missing a leg or something, but that would probably be too much hassle than it's worth lol

The dragon I released, (Solstice with the wrong color wings) could have been useful to someone else, but I had no way to get it into other people's hands.

Um - a trade thread ?

Um - a trade thread?

Even though you can trade eggs, you wouldn't know which wings the Solstice had then >.>

also it bugs me how you put spaces before your question marks

When I release dragons, it's because I don't want other people to have them. If this suggestion means players are able to claim dragons that I have purposefully released, then I am against it even more. I know that some of us catch messy eggs so that they can freeze or abandon them and be rid of bad lineages, and the only other way to do so would be to kill them. Many of us don't like killing dragons, myself included.

I personally don't see how someone else actually wanting to keep your messy or your unwanted dragon would be a bad thing. I mean one thing is you not liking it, but lets say you release a super inbred white with a disgustingly messy lineage. I like white dragons and if given the chance would gladly take it off your hands before seeing it as an unobtainable dragon just there. So taking your own personal dislike into account as to why someone should not have something shouldn't affect the reasoning of a suggestion.

Just because you don't like or want the dragon you released doesn't mean someone else wont. If you wanted to release a dragon you liked but didn't want anyone else to have then it should have just stayed on your scroll. No need to kill it... Heck I hate Brimstones, if I release it and someone has a chance to give it a good loving home then heck, go for it. All yours. Not gonna kill the dragon just because I hate it and don't want anyone else to have it due to my dislike of it.

On topic:

How about we treat this like a game of chance? How? Like this.

Each day you are given the chance to coax one dragon to return with you to your cave and thus be scribbled on your scroll. Each dragon in the wild would have a pseudo actions page with one option, 'coax' You click it and you are given a x in x chance of it working where more often than not it doesnt work. You can only do this once per day. After 24hrs you can try again on the same or a new dragon. Each person has a chance at any dragon so the one want might get taken by someone else. Each breed has a certain higher chance of success depending on the breed where much rarer breeds would be harder to get and much more common breed slightly easier to get.

Just a thought.

I personally don't see how someone else actually wanting to keep your messy or your unwanted dragon would be a bad thing. I mean one thing is you not liking it, but lets say you release a super inbred white with a disgustingly messy lineage. I like white dragons and if given the chance would gladly take it off your hands before seeing it as an unobtainable dragon just there. So taking your own personal dislike into account as to why someone should not have something shouldn't affect the reasoning of a suggestion.

Just because you don't like or want the dragon you released doesn't mean someone else wont. If you wanted to release a dragon you liked but didn't want anyone else to have then it should have just stayed on your scroll. No need to kill it... Heck I hate Brimstones, if I release it and someone has a chance to give it a good loving home then heck, go for it. All yours. Not gonna kill the dragon just because I hate it and don't want anyone else to have it due to my dislike of it.

I release dragons with lineages I don't like, because I want that lineage to die out. If people keep picking up those super-messy adults that were mine, they might breed them, and fill the AP with eggs most people wouldn't want.

Edited by Niyaka

It would still allow people to grab retired breeds or old holiday dragons from the wilderness - at least for a while. But very soon, the wilderness will be devoid of rare/special dragons. Which means that, in the long run, this feature to "coax" rare dragons from the wilderness will not be worth squat any more.

I'm not sure people who're playing now need this kind of advantage over people joining later.

*shrug* I've seen frozen hatchlings being released so instead of lettin them reach adulthood, freeze em. They cant breed then even if we wanted them to.

Its a thought, which is why I added the fact that rarer breeds would be harder to get as opposed to common breeds in comparison would be slightly easier. I'm also talking about a coax that is going to fail more often than not. If I wanna give it a rough percentage lets say 85-90 percent of the time. So not only would coaxing these now free beasts be difficult, very difficult, its not impossible. It is however a deterrent for someone hoping to make quick catches to get rares and such. Why waste weeks, months, maybe even a year or two trying to coax a damn grown dragon when you can catch an egg, trade for one, or catch the old holidays during their respective breeding season?

Again, its to make it hard to get but not impossible, in case someone really wanted that silver in there.

Edited by AnanoKimi

Even though you can trade eggs, you wouldn't know which wings the Solstice had then >.>

also it bugs me how you put spaces before your question marks

It's the English way back from typing lessons. But I do prefer the look of it !

But you can see by looking at the lineage.

It's the English way back from typing lessons. But I do prefer the look of it !

But you can see by looking at the lineage.

You can't tell which colors a Solstice will have based in lineage, the color is determined by the time that the eggs are laid - an information that we don't have yet but I suppose that will be implemented before the next Christmas.